Subject: [ietf-types] Best practice for new MIME type: application/frame-ld+json

From: "Markus Lanthaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:09:32 +0800

Hello,

We are currently working on an effort to standardize a way to describe
linked data in JSON. Consequently we plan to register a media type
application/ld+json (ld stands for linked data). We now came across the need
for another media type to label framing documents, i.e., again a JSON
document but with a completely different structure than a JSON-LD document.
The media type we came up with so far was application/frame-ld+json but some
people argued that we should follow this "+" pattern and call it
application/frame+ld+json instead.

>From talking with people from the HTTP WG this seems to be discouraged ([1],
[2]). Bjoern Hoehrmann suggested to go with application/ld-frame+json as
that "would be more in keeping with the terminology" and suggested to take
the discussion over to this mailing list. I would love to hear you opinion
on this.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2012JanMar/0088.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2012JanMar/0089.html

Thanks,
Markus