Subject: [ietf-types] Registration of application/mrb-publish+xml and application/mrb-consumer+xml

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:32:04 -0500

draft-ietf-mediactrl-mrb-12 will shortly be undergoing WGLC in the
MEDIACTRL WG.  In it, there are two new type registrations.  The
registrations are in sections 13.1 and 13.2 of
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-mediactrl-mrb-12.txt, which are
also copied below.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale Worley (MEDIACTRL WG co-chair)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
13.2.  application/mrb-publish+xml MIME Type

   MIME media type name:   application

   MIME subtype name:   mrb-publish+xml

   Mandatory parameters:   none

   Optional parameters:   Same as charset parameter of application/xml
      as specified in RFC 3023 [RFC3023].

   Encoding considerations:   Same as encoding considerations of
      application/xml as specified in RFC 3023 [RFC3023].

   Security considerations:   See Section 10 of RFC 3023 [RFC3023] and
      Section 12 of RFCXXXX [[NOTE TO RFC-EDITOR/IANA: Please replace
      XXXX with the RFC number of this specification.]].

   Interoperability considerations:   none.

   Published specification:   Section 10 of RFCXXXX [[NOTE TO RFC-
      EDITOR/IANA: Please replace XXXX with the RFC number of this
      specification.]].

   Applications which use this media type:   This document type has been
      used to support a Media Resource Broker (MRB) entity.

   Additional Information:

   Magic Number:   None

   File Extension:   .xdf

   Macintosh file type code:   "TEXT"

   Personal and email address for further information:   Chris Boulton,
      [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Author/Change controller:   The IETF.

13.3.  application/mrb-consumer+xml MIME Type

   MIME media type name:   application

   MIME subtype name:   mrb-consumer+xml

   Mandatory parameters:   none

   Optional parameters:   Same as charset parameter of application/xml
      as specified in RFC 3023 [RFC3023].

   Encoding considerations:   Same as encoding considerations of
      application/xml as specified in RFC 3023 [RFC3023].

   Security considerations:   See Section 10 of RFC 3023 [RFC3023] and
      Section 12 of RFCXXXX [[NOTE TO RFC-EDITOR/IANA: Please replace
      XXXX with the RFC number of this specification.]].

   Interoperability considerations:   none.

   Published specification:   Section 11 of RFCXXXX [[NOTE TO RFC-
      EDITOR/IANA: Please replace XXXX with the RFC number of this
      specification.]].

   Applications which use this media type:   This document type has been
      used to support a Media Resource Broker (MRB) entity.

   Additional Information:

   Magic Number:   None

   File Extension:   .xdf

   Macintosh file type code:   "TEXT"

   Personal and email address for further information:   Chris Boulton,
      [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Author/Change controller:   The IETF.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
[END]

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:09:29 +0100

>   MIME subtype name:   mrb-publish+xml

This is using an outdated template, the current one in RFC 4288 changes
the names of some fields and organizes some other fields differently.

>      used to support a Media Resource Broker (MRB) entity.

I suppose this might be okay in the context of the document, in general
it should give people like "oh, this is for document management" or "oh,
yet enother 3d modeling format".

>   File Extension:   .xdf

I note that you propose the same file name extension for both types. Do
make sure that's not a copy and paste error.

>      [email-masked]

The typical rendering is `Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>`.

>13.3.  application/mrb-consumer+xml MIME Type

(Same comments as above).
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:24:48 -0500

> From: Bjoern Hoehrmann [[email-masked]]
> 

We will work on updating the I-D based on your comments.  But there is
a difficulty with this item:  "Media Resource Broker" is the term used
by the various vendors of MRB devices.  And this I-D is one of a very
few IETF documents that describes MRB functionality.  Unfortunately,
there is no larger, better-known class that contains MRB.

Perhaps we could at least warn the reader that the RFC is the only
generic description of MRB:

   Applications which use this media type:   This document type has been
      used to support a Media Resource Broker (MRB) entity.  MRB is
      described in RFCXXXX. [[NOTE TO RFC-EDITOR/IANA: Please replace
      XXXX with the RFC number of this specification.]]

Dale

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:41:52 +0100

>      XXXX with the RFC number of this specification.]]

Regard the comment as an editorial nit that does not really have to be
addressed. My problem is that I do not know "Media Resource Broker" in
the way I know "video conferencing system", "photo editor", or "real-
time chat application". Something about the problem it solves (random
example, "Informs SIP applications of available communication options")
or the enviroment it is used in (random example, "real-time telephony
applications") would be nice, but if there is any trouble coming up with
text for that, don't bother trying as far as I am concerned.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/