Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 09:38:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Relay Agent Information Option
	Author(s)	: M. Patrick
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-03.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 02-Feb-98
	
   Newer high-speed public Internet access technologies call for a
   high-speed modem to have a LAN attachment to one or more user hosts.
   It is advantageous to use DHCP to assign user host IP addresses in
   this environment, but a number of security and scaling problems arise
   with such ''public'' DHCP use.  This draft calls for the definition of
   a ''DHCP Relay Agent Information'' option that is appended to a DHCP
   packet forwarded from a client to a server by a relay agent.  The
   Server may or may not use the information in the the Relay Agent
   Information option; in either case, it echoes back the option
   verbatim in server-to-client replies.
 
   The ''Relay Agent Information'' option contains sub-options that convey
   information known by the relay agent.  The initial sub-options are
   defined for a relay agent that is co-located in a public circuit
   access unit.  These include a ''circuit ID'' for the incoming circuit
   and a ''remote ID'' which provides a trusted identifier for the remote
   high-speed modem.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.