Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-briscoe-ama-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:53:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: End to End Aggregation of Multicast Addresses
	Author(s)	: M. Tatham, B. Briscoe
	Filename	: draft-briscoe-ama-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 22-Dec-97
	
This paper presents an approach for solving the inherent problem with
multicast routing scalability - by co-operation between end-systems and
the network. We introduce an extremely efficient, elegant way to name
arbitrary sized inter-meshed aggregations of multicast addresses. This
is done in such a way that it is easy to calculate how to change the
name to encompass many more related names. We describe how these
aggregate names could be used anywhere in place of the set of addresses
to which they refer, not by resolving them into multiple operations, but
by a single bulk action throughout the routing tree, and in session
descriptions potentially including those for reservations. Initial
aggregation in end-systems might only reduce the problem by an order of
magnitude, but it is believed that this will provide sufficient
structure for routers to be able to recognise further aggregation
potential.  To improve the chances of router aggregation, address set
allocation schemes must fulfil certain criteria that are laid down in
this paper.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-briscoe-ama-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-ama-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-ama-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.