Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-tls-imappop-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:11:08 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Using TLS with IMAP4, POP3 and ACAP
	Author(s)	: C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-tls-imappop-02.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 27-Jan-98
	
     The TLS protocol [TLS] (formerly known as SSL) provides a way to
     secure a connection from tampering and evesdropping.  Obviously,
     the option of using such security is desirable for IMAP [IMAP4],
     POP [POP3] and ACAP [ACAP].  Although advanced SASL [SASL]
     authentication mechanisms can provide a lightweight version of this
     service, TLS is a full service security layer and is also useful in
     combination with plaintext password logins and other simple
     mechanisms as it doesn't require a site to upgrade its
     authentication database.
 
     This specification defines extensions to IMAP4, ACAP and POP3 which
     activate TLS.  It also defines a set of server security policy
     response codes for use with IMAP4.  The response codes MAY be used
     independently of the TLS extension.  Finally, this defines a simple
     PLAIN SASL mechanism for use underneath strong TLS encryption with
     ACAP.
 
     [NOTE: Public discussion of this mechanism may take place on the
     [email-masked] mailing list with a subscription address of
     [email-masked].  Private comments may be sent to the
     author].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-tls-imappop-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-newman-tls-imappop-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-tls-imappop-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.