Subject: RFC 2255 on LDAP URL Format

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 16:40:23 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2255

        Title:      The LDAP URL Format
	Author(s):  T. Howes, M. Smith
        Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       December 1997
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 20685
        Updates/Obsoletes: None

        URL:        ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2255.txt

LDAP is the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, defined in [1], [2]
and [3].  This document describes a format for an LDAP Uniform
Resource Locator.  The format describes an LDAP search operation to
perform to retrieve information from an LDAP directory. This document
replaces RFC 1959. It updates the LDAP URL format for version 3 of
LDAP and clarifies how LDAP URLs are resolved. This document also
defines an extension mechanism for LDAP URLs, so that future documents
can extend their functionality, for example, to provide access to new
LDAPv3 extensions as they are defined.

This document is a product of the Access, Searching and Indexing of
Directories Working Group of the IETF.
 
This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.
 
This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 1543, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.