Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:11:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Some Issues and Applications of Packet Marking
                          for Differentiated Services
	Author(s)	: S. Blake
	Filename	: draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt
	Pages		: 39
	Date		: 29-Dec-97
	
   ''Packet marking'' is proposed as an architectural generalization of
   the type of service (TOS) and precedence facilities of IPv4 [RFC795,
   RFC1349], as well as the traffic class facilities of IPv6 [IPv6].  It
   is intended to encompass all mechanisms by which a host or a router
   may mark a packet to invoke some differentiated packet handling
   behavior by another node along the transit path of the packet.  This
   memo examines several proposed applications of a packet marking
   facility and attempts to categorize each application in terms of the
   behavioral requirements it imposes on hosts and routers.  In
   addition, issues related to the deployment of packet marking,
   including provisioning, authorization, and security, are examined.
   This memo is proposed as a framework to focus discussion on
   implementation issues and mechanisms as new differentiated services
   enabled by a packet marking facility are introduced into the
   Internet.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.