Subject: An exercise in electronic democracy

From: Karl Auerbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 18:29:45 -0800 (PST)

The US Government has just published a proposal to significantly alter the
way that Domain Names, IP Address Allocation, and IANA functions are
handled in the worldwide Internet. 

This proposal can be viewed at:

	http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/022098fedreg.txt

There is a relatively short period for comment (about a month.)

If you are at all interested in these topics, I encourage you to read
the proposal.

If you like it -- send in a comment to that effect.  If you don't like it,
or don't like parts of it -- also send in a comment.  Well organized
comments will, of course, carry more persuasive force.

People from outside the United States may also make comments.  Indeed the
non-US perspective could be particularly valuable and enlightening.

  (If you want to look up statutory references, a good place to look is:
   http://law.house.gov/uscsrch.htm )

Consider this as an early exercise in Internet democracy.

		--karl--