Subject: RE: Improving meetings (was Re: unresponsive secretariat)

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:47:34 -0600

On Tuesday, February 17, 1998 9:19 AM, Howard C. Berkowitz[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
<snip>
@
@I've found the size of the recent meetings has made it more and more
@difficult to do work.  "work" to be defined below.  It's been especially
@frustrating for me from a pure physical standpoint; I have a hearing loss
@and wear a hearing aid, and, up to the December meeting, THOUGHT my
@distance vision was OK with glasses.  Still, I think that people with
@normal hearing and vision would encounter some of the same problems I did.
@

Howard,

You might want to consider the approach being
used at Harvard for the upcoming conference.

http://www.cyberposium.org/

You might also want to look at creating an
IETF Palace...

http://www.thepalace.com

There are more modern ways to use the Internet
that do not require flying people to Disneyworld.
As they say, Startrek got it backwards. It should
not be..."beam me up Scotty" but rather..."beam
the IETF to me..."

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI

---

From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:53:56 -0500

>not be..."beam me up Scotty" but rather..."beam

There might indeed be some virtual reality system that would be ideal for
the IETF, but it's not something available in the short term.  My comments
are meant to suggest some incremental improvements, achievable in the short
term.

Alternative means have both logistical and cultural strikes against them.
Not that they might not be useful, but they aren't likely to help at IETF
meetings in 1998.

Howard