Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-receipt-mdn-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:02:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Receipt Notifications for Internet Mail Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An Extensible Message Format for 
                          Message Disposition Notifications
	Author(s)	: R. Fajman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-receipt-mdn-07.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 18-Nov-97
	
This memo defines a MIME content-type that may be used by a mail
user agent (UA) or electronic mail gateway to report the disposition
of a message after it has been sucessfully delivered to a recipient.
This content-type is intended to be machine-processable.  Additional
message headers are also defined to permit Message Disposition
Notifications (MDNs) to be requested by the sender of a message.
The purpose is to extend Internet Mail to support functionality
often found in other messaging systems, such as X.400 and the
proprietary ''LAN-based'' systems, and often referred to as ''read
receipts,'' ''acknowledgements,'' or ''receipt notifications.''  The
intention is to do this while respecting the privacy concerns that
have often been expressed when such functions have been discussed in
the past.
 
Because many messages are sent between the Internet and other
messaging systems (such as X.400 or the proprietary ''LAN-based''
systems), the MDN protocol is designed to be useful in a multi-
protocol messaging environment.  To this end, the protocol described
in this memo provides for the carriage of ''foreign'' addresses, in
addition to those normally used in Internet Mail.  Additional
attributes may also be defined to support ''tunneling'' of foreign
notifications through Internet Mail.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-receipt-mdn-07.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-receipt-mdn-07.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-receipt-mdn-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.