Subject: RE: The Message is Simple - Just like the Internet

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:28:41 -0600

On Tuesday, February 24, 1998 11:23 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
@> What to you mean by "stand-alone" and "cluster"/"confederation"?
@
@Oh, let me try to interpret for you. ;-) What Jim is alluding to is
@"collections of self-proclaimed root name servers internally
@synchronized but not necessarily synchronized up to a single global
@source for the root zone"

No this is NOT what I am alluding to.

The collections are internally synced by definition because they
are managed by the same people that somehow propogate
their root zone.

THEN, all of the collections are synced via the open and
cooperative, IETF-like, approach where RSC owners actively
work together to keep all of them in synch. This is what is
done today by the RSCs and clearly the IETF members do
not even know it. That is how transparent the change has been.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI

---

From: Adam Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 17:56:01 +1100

>@source for the root zone"

GOSH I MISSED THAT!

WRT Syncronisation AlterNIC and AURSC are totally in sync with all data
form all Legacy TLD's ccTLD's and quite a number of New TLD's.

There is no such things as a single globe source. MIL is not looked after
by NSI yet manages to get onto the servers.

<sigh> Education is really lacking.

AlterNCI dat ais created there and we request it here.

AURSC data is requested by ALterNIC, ala works perfectly.

>No this is NOT what I am alluding to.

Of course not Jim.  Not everyone understands DNS.  RSC's understand this.

>work together to keep all of them in synch. This is what is

Well Iperdome, AlterNIC and AURSC have proven this - it's taking place
right now.

Eventually I feel NSI will participate in this process as well, of course
by then, we'll have all the teething problems (not that there have been
any) ironed out and, well, it will work smother and more benefically than
ever before.

Of course CORE will be setting up their own COM, NET and ORG server whcih
will no doubt conflict with NSI data.  I sure don't see AURSC agreeing to
pull CORE data down over NSI.  And although I can't speak for AlterNIC and
the others, I'm fairly convinced that they will preferance NSI over CORE
any day.  Fairly sure.

>not even know it. That is how transparent the change has been.

They sure don't.  In fact most people have no idea. They just resovle names
and they work - all the time.

      The world operates 24 hours a day ... so do the servers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for 
republication of comments, without written consent.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convery Member
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net  
						   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net
AU Root Server Confederation              http://aursc.ah.net
AU Internet News  mailto:[email-masked]  with "subscribe"

---

From: Mathias Koerber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:34:36 +0800 (SST)

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Adam Todd wrote:

| Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 17:56:01 +1100
| From: Adam Todd <[email-masked]>
| To: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
| Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
|     "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
|     "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
|     'Karl Auerbach' <[email-masked]>, 'Karl Denninger' <[email-masked]>,
|     'Phil Howard' <[email-masked]>
| Subject: RE: The Message is Simple - Just like the Internet
| 
| >@Oh, let me try to interpret for you. ;-) What Jim is alluding to is
| >@"collections of self-proclaimed root name servers internally
| >@synchronized but not necessarily synchronized up to a single global
| >@source for the root zone"
| 
| GOSH I MISSED THAT!
| 
| WRT Syncronisation AlterNIC and AURSC are totally in sync with all data
| form all Legacy TLD's ccTLD's and quite a number of New TLD's.
| 
| There is no such things as a single globe source. MIL is not looked after
| by NSI yet manages to get onto the servers.
| 
| <sigh> Education is really lacking.
|

Right Adam, but it's your education that is lacking..

	$ dig @a.root-servers.net mil ns

	; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> @a.root-servers.net mil ns 
	; (1 server found)
	;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
	;; got answer:
	;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 10
	;; flags: qr aa rd; Ques: 1, Ans: 9, Auth: 0, Addit: 9
	;; QUESTIONS:
	;;	mil, type = NS, class = IN

	;; ANSWERS:
	mil.	86400	NS	C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
	mil.	86400	NS	D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
	mil.	86400	NS	A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
	mil.	86400	NS	E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
	mil.	86400	NS	I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
	mil.	86400	NS	B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
	mil.	86400	NS	F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
	mil.	86400	NS	H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
	mil.	86400	NS	G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

	;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
	C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	192.33.4.12
	D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	128.8.10.90
	A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	198.41.0.4
	E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	192.203.230.10
	I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	192.36.148.17
	B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	128.9.0.107
	F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	192.5.5.241
	H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	128.63.2.53
	G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	3600000	A	192.112.36.4

	;; Total query time: 453 msec
	;; FROM: singapura.singnet.com.sg to SERVER: a.root-servers.net  198.41.0.4
	;; WHEN: Wed Feb 25 16:33:59 1998
	;; MSG SIZE  sent: 21  rcvd: 325

| 
| 
|       The world operates 24 hours a day ... so do the servers.
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------
| The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
| or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for 
| republication of comments, without written consent.
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
| Telstra Convery Member
| Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net  
| 						   http://adam.says.sheesh
| Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net
| AU Root Server Confederation              http://aursc.ah.net
| AU Internet News  mailto:[email-masked]  with "subscribe"
| 

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   [email-masked]
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            [email-masked]
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger [email-masked]
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *