Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-fax-requirements-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:14:16 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for Internet Fax
	Author(s)	: L. Masinter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-requirements-02.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 17-Nov-97
	
Facsimile (Fax) has a long tradition of being a telephony application
from one terminal device to another, where the terminal device
consists of a paper input device (scanner), a paper output device
(printer), and a limited amount of processing power. The transmission
of data end-to-end is accompanied by negotiation (to ensure that the
scanned data can be rendered at the recipient) and confirmation (to
give the sender some assurance that the final data has been received
and processed.)
 
Over time, facsimile has been extended to allow for PCs connected
running software to send and receive fax, to send data other than
paper images, as well as many extensions to the basic image model,
e.g., recent ITU fax standards for color fax.
 
Other delivery extensions have included sub-addressing (additional
signals after the call is established to facilitate automated routing
of faxes to desktops or mailboxes), and enhanced features such as
fax-back, polling, and even the transfer of binary files.
 
Many mechanisms for sending fax documents over the Internet have been
demonstrated and deployed and are currently in use.

This document summarizes the requirements for Internet Fax as
discussed in the IETF Internet Fax working group. It is an attempt to
establish a baseline of agreed-to requirements against which any
proposal for Internet Fax can be judged.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-fax-requirements-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-requirements-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-requirements-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.