Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 09:28:21 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Printing Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols
	Author(s)	: R. Herriot, T. Hastings, N. Jacobs, J. Martin
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-03.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 31-Dec-97
	
This Internet-Draft specifies the mapping between (1) the commands and
operands of the ''Line Printer Daemon (LPD) Protocol'' specified in RFC
1179 and (2) the operations and parameters of the Internet Printing
Protocol (IPP).  One of the purposes of this document is to compare the
functionality of the two protocols.  Another purpose is to facilitate
implementation of gateways between LPD and IPP.
 
This document is an informational document that is not on the standards
track.  It is intended to help implementors of gateways between IPP and
LPD.  It also provides an example,  which gives additional insight into
IPP.
 
WARNING:  RFC 1179 was not on standards track.  While RFC 1179 was
intended to record existing practice, it fell short in some areas.
However, this specification maps between (1) the actual current practice
of RFC 1179 and (2) IPP.  This document does not attempt to map the
numerous divergent extensions to the LPD protocol that have been made by
many implementers.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.