Subject: Protocol Action: Internet Group Management Protocol, Version 2 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:13:06 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "Internet Group Management 
  Protocol, Version 2" <draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-v2-08.txt> as a Proposed 
  Standard. This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Multicast 
  Routing Working Group. The IESG contact person is Joel Halpern.          

Technical Summary
 
 IGMP is the protocol used by hosts and routers to communicate the
 presence of hosts interested in specific IP Multicast Groups.  IGMP
 Version 2 is a set of minor extensions and improvements on the
 behavior widely implemented IGMPv1 protocol.  Additionally, this
 represents the first documentation in the RFC series of this
 protocol.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 The working group has reviewed this protocol and strongly supports
 it.  The only discussion was whether IGMPv3 would overtake this.
 Given that this protocol represents something that is implemented, and
 is a small change over other implementations, this is likely to be
 widely supported.  In contrast, IGMPv3 is a much larger change which
 may therefore experience a long delay before release or widespread
 implementation.  Therefore the working group concluded that it was
 appropriate to publish this on the standards track.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 The Routing Area Director (Joel M. Halpern) has reviewed this
 document.  The protocol itself is sound, and the reasoning for placing
 it on the standards track stands up to the usual questions.