Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bormann-mtp-so-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 13:13:30 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: MTP/SO: Self-Organizing Multicast
	Author(s)	: J. Ott, C. Bormann, N. Seifert
	Filename	: draft-bormann-mtp-so-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 04-Dec-97
	
   Multiparty cooperative applications have recently received much
   attention, as has the multicasting of datagrams in the internet.  The
   internet datagram multicasting mechanism is not reliable, often
   requiring a higher level protocol to achieve the level of reliability
   required for an application.
 
   Much of the extensive work on reliable multicast protocols has
   assumed relatively stable groups that need to ensure that all
   messages are received by all members of this well-defined group.
   Recently, work on loosely coupled teleconferencing has directed
   attention to a class of multicast applications that scale up to an
   extent where this assumption is no longer practical.
 
   An interesting multicast transport protocol is defined in RFC 1301.
   MTP provides globally ordered, receiver reliable, rate controlled and
   atomic transfer of messages to multiple recipients.  A revised, more
   practical version of MTP, the Multicast Transport Protocol MTP-2 has
   been in use for some time.
 
   Self-Organizing Multicast, MTP/SO, uses MTP-2 as a basis and adds
   spontaneous self-organization of the members of the group into local
   regions.  Scalability is increased by providing passive group joining
   and local retransmission of lost packets.
 
   This version of the document is not yet complete but contains most of
   the vital parts.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bormann-mtp-so-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-bormann-mtp-so-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bormann-mtp-so-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.