Subject: How to unsubscribe ? (was: Unsubscibe Messages)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:57:44 +0100 (MET)

> Since in the last days the number of unsubscribe messages is reaching 
> approx. 50% of all messages, it should be worthwhile to write a small 
> program to filter out these messages.
> Some people wanting to unsubscibe are complaining, that they are 
> flooded by messages. I am flooded by unsubscibe messages.

Perhaps someone could explain how to unsubscribe. 
I also tried to unsubscribe, but none of the usual methods
works ( no xxx-request, no majordomo, no listserv ).

How can someone unsubscribe from this list ?

Hadmut

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:38:26 -0500 (EST)

See <http://www.ietf.org/mailinglists.html> Yes, [email-masked] is the
right place to send unsubscribe messages; however, it is my belief that these
message are currently handled by people rather than list management software. 
Thus it can take a while to be acted on. 

The burst of unsubscribes should not surprise anyone.  That always happens on
the IETF list when the volume of messages goes up regardless of the topic. 
Perhaps some of these people really wanted to subscribe to ietf-announce
rather than the ietf list. In fact, one other complaint (not the one below)
said that the person had subscribed to get announcements.  Well, that's why
there is a separate list you can subscribe to that only has the announcements
on it. 

Another possibility, besides filtering unsubscribes, would be to simply
moderate (ie, have a person look at) the very first post to the list by
anyone who has never posted before.  I think the vast majority of these
unsubscribes are coming from people who have never sent a substantive
message, technical or not, to the list. If the first post is anything even
vaguely relevant other than administrivia (unsubscribe, change of address,
etc.), then that "From:" address could be flagged to post directly... 

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:57:44 +0100 (MET)
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: How to unsubscribe ? (was: Unsubscibe Messages)
> 

Donald
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc

---

From: Cynthia Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 11:28:14 -0500

> How can someone unsubscribe from this list ?

Instruction:  Send any delete request to "[email-masked]"
              instead of "[email-masked]"

If there is any problem with the IETF General Discussion
mailing list or the IETF Announcement mailing list,
then contact me directly at <[email-masked]>

Regards,

Cynthia Clark
<[email-masked]>

------- Forwarded Message

Delivery-Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 07:21:04 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:57:44 +0100 (MET)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: How to unsubscribe ? (was: Unsubscibe Messages)

Hadmut

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: "David W. Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:47:39 -0800 (PST)

> etc.), then that "From:" address could be flagged to post directly... 

That would be advanced technology .... in the interim .... it is really
time that the shoemaker's kids had software to do the job.

Secondly,  use one of the packages which requires acknowledgements before
subscribing or unsubscribing. I've talked to a few folks over time who
truly believe they did not subscribe.  Since I have been the target
of unsolicited subscriptions in the past, I can believe this happens
once in a while. I've also been unsubscribed w/o my request. The
two step process would help these folks because it is significantly
more difficult to forge ficticious requests when an ack is required.

Dave Morris