Subject: Protocol Action: RTP Payload Format for MPEG1/MPEG2 Video to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 12:09:38 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RTP Payload Format for
MPEG1/MPEG2 Video' <draft-ietf-avt-mpeg-new-02.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allyn Romanow and Scott
Bradner.

Technical Summary

This memo is a revision of RFC 2038, an Internet standards track
protocol, prepared for publication as a revised RFC to cycle-in-grade
at Proposed Standard.  In this revision, the packet loss resilience
mechanisms in Section 3.4 were extended to include additional picture
header information required for MPEG2.  The existing RFC 2038 implies
that the mechanisms described therein are suitable for both MPEG1 and
MPEG2 when in fact they are insufficient for MPEG2. In addition a new
section in included on on security considerations for this payload
type.

Working Group Summary

R. Civanlar is the author of this revision; the revision was reviewed
by the other three authors (the authors of RFC 2038) and by the AVT
Chair.  This revision was presented to the working group in Memphis and
in a working group last call.  It was accepted without controversy.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Allyn Romanow.

Precept has an implementation of the encapsulation of MPEG Elemenary
Streams for MPEG1 (section 3). AT&T has an implementation of the new
extensions for MPEG2 Elementary Streams (section 2). There are
experimental implementations from Sun of MPEG transport and Program
Streams (section 2).