Subject: RFC 2290 on Mobile-IPv4 Option for PPP IPCP

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 12:19:02 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2290:

        Title:      Mobile-IPv4 Configuration Option for PPP IPCP
	Author(s):  J. Solomon, S. Glass
        Status:     Proposed Standard
	Date:       February 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      17
        Characters: 39421
        Updates:    2002

        URL:        ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2290.txt

Mobile IP [RFC 2002] defines media-independent procedures by which a
Mobile Node can maintain existing transport and application-layer
connections despite changing its point-of-attachment to the Internet
and without changing its IP address.  PPP [RFC 1661] provides a
standard method for transporting multi-protocol packets over
point-to-point links.  As currently specified, Mobile IP Foreign
Agents which support Mobile Node connections via PPP can do so only by
first assigning unique addresses to those Mobile Nodes, defeating one
of the primary advantages of Foreign Agents.  This documents corrects
this problem by defining the Mobile-IPv4 Configuration Option to the
Internet Protocol Control Protocol (IPCP) [RFC 1332].  Using this
option, two peers can communicate their support for Mobile IP during
the IPCP phase of PPP.  Familiarity with Mobile IP [RFC 2002], IPCP
[RFC 1332], and PPP [RFC 1661] is assumed.
 
This document is a product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 1543, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.