Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cordell-sg16-conv-url-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:53:54 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Conversational Multimedia URLs
	Author(s)	: P. Cordell
	Filename	: draft-cordell-sg16-conv-url-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 23-Dec-97
	
The evolving technologies for real-time conversation over the Internet
require URLs to provide user contact information.  As there are many
protocols (including some that are not Internet based) that can be used
for inter-user conversation, this document describes a two stage
transaction process for obtaining a URL that can be used to initiate
conversation.  The first stage involves retrieving a list of protocol
specific URLs in a MIME encoded file.  The MIME type enables an
appropriate application to be launched which will analyse the presented
URLs and select the most appropriate one.  The second stage involves
interpreting the protocol specific URL and initiating the conversation.
The protocol specific URLs are encoded in a URL form so that they can be
embedded directly into HTML pages.  This allows the first stage to be
omitted.  The document describes the format of the MIME encoded list of
URLs, and the format of a number of protocol specific URLs.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-cordell-sg16-conv-url-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-cordell-sg16-conv-url-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-cordell-sg16-conv-url-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.