Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-sasl-passdss-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:11:15 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DSS Secured Password Authentication Mechanism
	Author(s)	: C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-sasl-passdss-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 27-Jan-98
	
     Some system administrators are faced with a choice between
     deploying a new authentication infrastructure or sending
     unencrypted passwords in the clear over the Internet.  Deploying a
     new authentication infrastructure often involves modifying
     operating system services or keeping parallel authentication
     databases up to date and is thus unacceptable to many
     administrators.
 
     Solutions which encrypt the entire session are often crippled with
     weak keys (due to government restrictions) which are unsuitable for
     passwords.  In addition, such solutions often reduce performance of
     the entire session to an unacceptable level.  This specification
     defines a SASL [SASL] mechanism which is compatible with existing
     password-based authentication databases and does not require a
     security layer for the remainder of the session.
 
     [NOTE: Public discussion of this mechanism may take place on the
     [email-masked] mailing list with a subscription address of
     [email-masked].  Private comments may be sent to the
     author].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-sasl-passdss-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-newman-sasl-passdss-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-sasl-passdss-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.