Subject: Nominations for IETF positions:

From: [email-masked] (Mike St. Johns)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 17:53:25 -0800

The following was sent out about a week ago and the Nomcom has received some 
responses, but not all that many considering the number of people involved in 
the IETF.  This is your chance to affect the course of the IETF and internet 
technology.  Please take a few minutes to consider the people on the IESG and 
IAB you may have had contact with and comment on their successes or failures 
over the last two years.  Please also take a few minutes to consider whether 
you could do better - and volunteer!  Failing that, we'd like to hear from you 
about other capable, (but shy) candidates that might not volunteer without a 
little push. Although we have no formal timeframe for closing nominations, we 
expect that we will begin final considerations for a number of the open 
positions shortly after the December IETF so get your suggestions in early!

Thanks - Mike

The Nominations Committee is beginning its process of building a slate of
nominees to fill IESG and IAB positions whose current appointee's terms
have expired. This is a process we expect to take approximately 3 months
from start to finish. The members whose terms are expiring are:

In the IESG:

Fred Baker              IETF Chair
Jeff Burgan             Internet
Joel Halpern            Routing
Keith Moore             Applications
Mike O'Dell             Operations & Management
Joyce K. Reynolds       User Services
Allyn Romanow           Transport
Jeff Schiller           Security

In the IAB:

Brian Carpenter
Steve Bellovin
Jon Crowcroft
Robert Elz
John Klensin
Radia Perlman

The IESG is still in discussions about its organization which may result in
more or less positions being open for nominations.

In general, terms on the IAB and IESG are for a 2 year period.  However, as
the result of the most recent Poised process, we've been asked to consider
nominating as many as four IESG members 3 year terms to even out the number
of members up for appointment each year.

What the Nominations Committee needs from the IETF membership are three
things:  1) Comments (good or bad) on the incumbents for various positions
and whether the nomcom should nominate them for reappointment; 2)
suggestions for other candidates for appointment to the various positions;
and 3) and most importantly - volunteers to fill these positions.

Email addressing any of the above can be sent to the Nomcom at
[email-masked].  Alternatively, if you'd like to make relatively
anonymous comments you may send them to me at [email-masked] and
I'll forward them without attribution to the rest of the nomcom.  Most of
us will also be at the December IETF and will be happy to take your
comments there as well.

The nominations committee for this year is:

Michael StJohns (chair, non-voting) [email-masked]
Scott Bradner (IESG liason, non-voting) [email-masked]
Tony Hain (IAB liason, non-voting), [email-masked]
Geoff Huston (past Chair, non-voting), [email-masked]

Voting Members:
Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Uri Blumenthal <[email-masked]>
John Boudreaux <[email-masked]>
Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Rik Drummond <[email-masked]>
Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Steve Hole <[email-masked]>
Steve Kent <[email-masked]>
Keith McClogrie <[email-masked]>
Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>

Thank you in advance for your assistance!  Mike