Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-salsman-www-device-upload-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:03:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Form-based Device Input and Upload in HTML
	Author(s)	: J. Salsman
	Filename	: draft-salsman-www-device-upload-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 13-Nov-97
	
   Currently, HTML forms allow the producer of the form to request
   information -- including files of data -- from the operator reading
   the form.  However, this capability is limited because HTML forms
   don't provide a way to ask the operator to submit input from
   arbitrary sources such as audio devices like microphones.  Since
   input and upload from various devices is a feature that will
   benefit many applications, this draft proposes an extension to the
   HTML INPUT TYPE=FILE form element specified in RFC 1867 to allow
   information providers to express requests for uploads from audio
   and other devices uniformly, and a discussion of MIME audio data
   types to facilitate useful audio upload responses.  This draft also
   includes security and audio usability and quality discussions as
   well as a description of a backward compatibility strategy that
   allows new user agents to utilize HTML written with earlier
   proposals for audio input in mind, and concludes with motivations.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-salsman-www-device-upload-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-salsman-www-device-upload-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-salsman-www-device-upload-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.