Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-svrloc-service-scheme-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 12:54:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Service Location Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Service Templates and service:  Schemes
	Author(s)	: C. Perkins, E. Guttman, J. Kempf
	Filename	: draft-ietf-svrloc-service-scheme-05.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 21-Nov-97
	
The ''service:'' URL scheme name is used to define URLs (called
   ''service: URLs'' in this document) that are primarily intended to be
   used by the Service Location Protocol in order to distribute service
   access information.  These schemes provide an extensible framework
   for client-based network software to obtain configuration information
   required to make use of network services.  When registering a
   service: URL, the URL SHOULD be accompanied by a set of well-defined
   attributes which define the service.  These attributes SHOULD
   convey configuration information to client software, or service
   characteristics meaningful to end users.
 
   This document describes a formal procedure for defining and
   standardizing new service types and attributes for use with the
   ''service:'' scheme.  The formal descriptions of service types and
   attributes are templates that are human and machine understandable.
   They SHOULD be used by administrative tools to parse service
   registration information and by client applications to provide
   localized translations of service attribute strings.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-svrloc-service-scheme-05.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-svrloc-service-scheme-05.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-svrloc-service-scheme-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.