Subject: Internet Monthly Report for January, 1998

From: IMR Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 98 14:50:21 PST

January 1998

INTERNET MONTHLY REPORTS
------------------------

The purpose of these reports is to communicate to the Internet Research
Group the accomplishments, milestones reached, or problems discovered by
the participating organizations.

Each organization is expected to submit a 1/2 page report on the first
business day of the month describing the previous month's activities.
These reports should be submitted via network mail to "[email-masked]".

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The Internet Monthly Report mailing list is now managed by MajorDomo at
ISI.EDU.  The announcements of new issues on the Internet Monthly Report
are sent to the IETF-Announce list and to this IMR list.

Requests to be ADDED or DELETED from the Internet Monthly report list
should be sent to "[email-masked]" with the message body either
"subscribe imr" or "unsubscribe imr".

Details on obtaining the current IMR, or back issues, via FTP or EMAIL
may be obtained by sending an EMAIL message to "[email-masked]" with
the message body "help: ways_to_get_imrs".  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting imrs

        help: ways_to_get_imrs

or  URL: http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/

Ramos                                                           [Page 1]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     IAB MESSAGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3
     INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3

  Internet Projects

     INTERNIC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       Registration Services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       Directory Services. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 16
       US Domain Registry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 16
     MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 19
     UCL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 20
     IANA REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 21
     RFC EDITOR REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 21

  CALENDAR OF EVENTS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 23
    TERENA List of Meetings . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 26

Ramos                                                           [Page 2]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     The minutes of the IAB back to 1990 are available for anonymous ftp
     access on host ftp.isi.edu, directory /pub/IAB, or via the IAB
     World-Wide Web page with URL http://www.iab.org/iab/.

     Brian Carpenter IAB Chair

INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS
----------------------------

               Internet Monthly Report for January, 1998

  1. The IETF will meet in Los Angeles from March 30 - April, 3, 1998
     and then in Chicago August 24-28. We're still looking into the
     final meeting of 1998, but it will be the second week of
     December, 1998.

     Once all arrangements have been made, notifications will be sent
     to the IETF Announcement list. Remember that information on
     future meetng sites can always be found in the file
     0mtg-sites.txt, located on the IETF shadow directories. Of
     course, this information is provided on the Web. The IETF's URL
     is:
                          http://www.ietf.org/

  2. The minutes of the IESG teleconferences be found on all the IETF
     shadow directories in the iesg directory.

     The following IESG minutes have been added:

       December 18, 1997        (iesg.97-12-18)
       January 15, 1998         (iesg.98-01-15)

  3. The IESG approved or recommended the following 16 Protocol
     Actions during the month of January, 1998:

     o IANA Charset Registration Procedures for publication as a Best
       Current Practices RFC.

     o IETF Policy on Character Sets and Languages for publication as
       a Best Current Practices RFC.

Ramos                                                           [Page 3]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     o Architectural Principles of Uniform Resource Name Resolution
       for publication as an Informational RFC.

     o Using the MARS model in non-ATM NBMA networks. for publication
       as an Informational RFC.

     o Network Ingress Filtering: Defeating Denial of Service Attacks
       which employ IP Source Address Spoofing for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Scalable Support for Multi-homed Multi-provider Connectivity
       for publication as an Informational RFC.

     o A Description of the RC2(r) Encryption Algorithm for
       publication as an Informational RFC.

     o Cisco's Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) for publication as
       an Informational RFC.

     o Benchmarking Terminology for LAN Switching Devices for
       publication as an Informational RFC.

     o Using the Internet DNS to Distribute MIXER Conformant Global
       Address Mapping (MCGAM) for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Use of an X.500/LDAP directory to support MIXER address mapping
       for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Ethernet Networks for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over FDDI Networks for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646 for publication as
       a Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.12 Repeater Devices
       for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP-4 for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 4]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

  4. 16 Last Calls were issued by the IESG during the month of
     January, 1998:

     o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - F Profile for Facsimile
       <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-08> for consideration as an Informational
       RFC.

     o Using the MARS model in non-ATM NBMA networks. <RFC2269> for
       consideration as an Informational RFC.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for Classical IP and ARP Over
       ATM Using SMIv2 (IPOA-MIB) <draft-ietf-ion-mib-06> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o IP Payload Compression Protocol (IPComp)
       <draft-ietf-ippcp-protocol-05> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Feature negotiation mechanism for the File Transfer Protocol
       <draft-ietf-ftpext-feat-02> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o File Format for Internet Fax <draft-ietf-fax-tiffplus-07> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - image/tiff MIME Sub-type
       Registration <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-reg-04> for consideration as
       a Proposed Standard.

     o Minimal FAX address format in Internet Mail
       <draft-ietf-fax-minaddrfax-00> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Minimal PSTN address format in Internet Mail
       <draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-01> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o A Simple Mode of Facsimile Using Internet Mail
       <draft-ietf-fax-service-03> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Use of BGP-4 Multiprotocol Extensions for IPv6 Inter-Domain
       Routing <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-ipv6-00> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o IP Header Compression <draft-degermark-ipv6-hc-05> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 5]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     o Negative Caching of DNS Queries (DNS NCACHE)
       <draft-ietf-dnsind-ncache-09> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Management Information Base for IP Version 6: Textual
       Conventions and General Group <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-mib-03>
       for consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Management Information Base for IP Version 6: ICMPv6 Group
       <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-icmp-mib-02> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Intra-LIS IP multicast among routers over ATM using Sparse Mode
       PIM <draft-ietf-ion-intralis-multicast-01> for consideration as
       a Proposed Standard.

  5. One new working groups was created:

     o LDAP Service Deployment (lsd)

     and one working group concluded this period:

     o 100VG-AnyLAN MIB (vgmib)

  6. There were 152 Internet-Draft Actions during the month of
     January, 1998:

     (none)     o The Auto-Submitted, Supersedes and Expires Headers
                  in E-mail and Netnews
                  <draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-12.txt>
     (mmusic)   o SDP: Session Description Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-06.txt,.ps>
     (pppext)   o PPP Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-eap-auth-03.txt>
     (none)     o SMTP Service Extension for Authentication
                  <draft-myers-smtp-auth-10.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-classless-inaddr-04.txt>
     (trunkmib) o Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS1, E1, DS2
                  and E2 Interface Types
                  <draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds1-mib-07.txt>
     (trunkmib) o Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS3/E3
                  Interface Type <draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds3-mib-06.txt>
     (ion)      o Definitions of Managed Objects for Classical IP and
                  ARP Over ATM Using SMIv2 (IPOA-MIB)
                  <draft-ietf-ion-mib-06.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 6]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     (ids)      o The CCSO Nameserver (Ph) Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-ids-ph-05.txt>
     (ospf)     o The OSPF Opaque LSA Option
                  <draft-ietf-ospf-opaque-03.txt>
     (dhc)      o Interaction between DHCP and DNS
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-06.txt>
     (dnssec)   o Detached Domain Name System (DNS) Information
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-ddi-04.txt>
     (http)     o Transparent Content Negotiation in HTTP
                  <draft-ietf-http-negotiation-06.txt>
     (none)     o TFTP Blocksize Option
                  <draft-malkin-tftpexts-blksize-opt-02.txt>
     (none)     o Distributed Component Object Model Protocol --
                  DCOM/1.0 <draft-brown-dcom-v1-spec-02.txt>
     (none)     o A Common Internet File System (CIFS/1.0) Protocol
                  Preliminary Draft <draft-leach-cifs-v1-spec-01.txt>
     (ion)      o Definitions of Managed Objects for the NBMA Next
                  Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP)
                  <draft-ietf-ion-nhrp-mib-02.txt,.ps>
     (svrloc)   o Service Location Modifications for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-ipv6-03.txt>
     (aft)      o Challenge-Handshake Authentication Protocol for
                  SOCKS V5 <draft-ietf-aft-socks-chap-01.txt>
     (none)     o Firewall Support for Mobile IP
                  <draft-montenegro-firewall-sup-03.txt>
     (pppext)   o Layer Two Tunneling Protocol 'L2TP'
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-l2tp-09.txt>
     (none)     o ST2+ over ATM Protocol Specification - UNI 3.1
                  Version <draft-suzuki-st2-over-atm-03.txt>
     (none)     o The TACACS+ Protocol Version 1.78
                  <draft-grant-tacacs-02.txt>
     (ftpext)   + FTP Extensions for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-ftpext-ftp-over-ipv6-00.txt>
     (http)     o Content Feature Tag Registration Procedure
                  <draft-ietf-http-feature-reg-03.txt>
     (tip)      o Transaction Internet Protocol Version 3.0
                  <draft-lyon-itp-nodes-05.txt>
     (ldapext)  + Use of Language Codes in LDAP
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-lang-00.txt>
     (drums)    o Mail and Netnews Header Registration Procedure
                  <draft-ietf-drums-MHRegistry-03.txt>
     (none)     o Securing FTP with TLS
                  <draft-murray-auth-ftp-ssl-03.txt>
     (find)     o A Tagged Index Object for use in the Common
                  Indexing Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-find-cip-tagged-05.txt>
     (mmusic)   o Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-08.txt,.ps>

Ramos                                                           [Page 7]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     (ftpext)   + FTP Security Considerations
                  <draft-ietf-ftpext-sec-consider-00.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o IP Version 6 over PPP
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-over-ppp-05.txt>
     (none)     o The mailto URL scheme
                  <draft-hoffman-mailto-url-04.txt>
     (none)     o The Multicast Attribute Framing Protocol
                  <draft-finlayson-mafp-02.txt>
     (none)     o VPIM Voice Message MIME Sub-type Registration
                  <draft-ema-vpim-vmsg-02.txt>
     (mobileip) o Reverse Tunneling for Mobile IP
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-tunnel-reverse-05.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Management Information Base for IP Version 6:
                  ICMPv6 Group
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-icmp-mib-02.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Management Information Base for IP Version 6:
                  Textual Conventions and General Group
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-mib-03.txt>
     (fax)      o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - F Profile for
                  Facsimile <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-08.txt>
     (http)     o HTTP Remote Variant Selection Algorithm -- RVSA/1.0
                  <draft-ietf-http-rvsa-v10-03.txt>
     (svrloc)   o The 'wp' and 'yp' Abstract Service Types
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-wpyp-03.txt>
     (rtfm)     o Traffic Flow Measurement: Meter MIB
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-meter-mib-04.txt>
     (http)     o HTTP State Management Mechanism
                  <draft-ietf-http-state-man-mec-06.txt,.ps>
     (none)     o Returning Values from Forms: multipart/form-data
                  <draft-masinter-form-data-02.txt>
     (fax)      o File Format for Internet Fax
                  <draft-ietf-fax-tiffplus-07.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
                  Operational Protocols - LDAPv2
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ipki2opp-06.txt>
     (none)     o RSVP over ATM Implementation Guidelines
                  <draft-ietf-issll-atm-imp-guide-03.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP over AAL5 <draft-ietf-pppext-aal5-04.txt>
     (ipp)      o Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics
                  <draft-ietf-ipp-model-09.txt>
     (none)     o An Approach for Using LDAP as a Network Information
                  Service <draft-howard-nis-schema-03.txt>
     (ion)      o A Distributed NHRP Service Using SCSP
                  <draft-ietf-ion-scsp-nhrp-04.txt>
     (none)     o Sieve -- a Mail Filtering Language
                  <draft-showalter-sieve-03.txt>
     (none)     o Access Protocol <draft-earhart-ap-spec-01.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 8]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     (ipngwg)   o IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v2-06.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o An IPv6 Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-unicast-aggr-03.txt>
     (find)     o MIME Object Definitions for the Common Indexing
                  Protocol (CIP) <draft-ietf-find-cip-mime-02.txt>
     (radius)   o RADIUS Accounting Interim Accounting Record
                  Extension <draft-ietf-radius-acct-interim-01.txt>
     (fax)      o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - image/tiff MIME
                  Sub-type Registration
                  <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-reg-04.txt>
     (issll)    o RSVP over ATM Implementation Requirements
                  <draft-ietf-issll-atm-imp-req-02.txt>
     (none)     + The Site Installation Handbook
                  <draft-rfced-info-walker-00.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Test and Example Top Level DNS Names
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-test-tlds-07.txt>
     (ipp)      o Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol
                  Specification <draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-05.txt>
     (ippcp)    o IP Payload Compression Protocol (IPComp)
                  <draft-ietf-ippcp-protocol-05.txt>
     (poisson)  o IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation, and Recall
                  Process: Operation of the Nominating and Recall
                  Committees <draft-ietf-poisson-nomcom-03.txt>
     (webdav)   o Extensions for Distributed Authoring and Versioning
                  on the World Wide Web -- WEBDAV
                  <draft-ietf-webdav-protocol-06.txt>
     (none)     o IMSS: IP Multicast Shortcut Service
                  <draft-anker-congress-01.txt>
     (dnssec)   o Domain Name System Security Extensions
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-secext2-03.txt>
     (ion)      o A Distributed MARS Service Using SCSP
                  <draft-ietf-ion-scsp-mars-01.txt>
     (ip1394)   o Ipv4 over IEEE 1394
                  <draft-ietf-ip1394-ipv4-06.txt,.ps>
     (pppext)   o PPP Over FUNI <draft-ietf-pppext-funi-04.txt>
     (tn3270e)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for TN3270E Response
                  Time Collection Using SMIv2
                  <draft-ietf-tn3270e-rt-mib-03.txt>
     (none)     o Universal Forms Description Language Specification
                  Version 4.0 <draft-gordon-ufdl-spec-01.txt>
     (none)     o Network Security API for Sockets
                  <draft-metz-net-security-api-01.txt>
     (avt)      o Options for Repair of Streaming Media
                  <draft-ietf-avt-info-repair-02.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Local DNS Names
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-04.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 9]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     (none)     o Using TLS with IMAP4, POP3 and ACAP
                  <draft-newman-tls-imappop-02.txt>
     (none)     + Short Passive (SPASV) Command for FTP
                  <draft-metz-spasv-00.txt>
     (nntpext)  o Network News Transport Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-nntpext-base-03.txt>
     (idr)      o Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP-4
                  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-multiprotocol-02.txt>
     (none)     o Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism
                  (SCRAM) <draft-newman-auth-scram-02.txt>
     (dnssec)   o DSA KEYs and SIGs in the Domain Name System
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-dss-02.txt>
     (none)     o Pulse-Per-Second API for UNIX
                  <draft-mogul-pps-api-01.txt>
     (none)     o INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - VERSION 4rev1
                  <draft-crispin-imapv-04.txt>
     (cat)      o Generic Security Service Application Program
                  Interface Version 2, Update 1
                  <draft-ietf-cat-rfc2078bis-02.txt>
     (rtfm)     o Traffic Flow Measurement: Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-architecture-02.txt>
     (tcpsat)   o Enhancing TCP Over Satellite Channels using
                  Standard Mechanisms
                  <draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-02.txt>
     (iesg)     o Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations
                  Section in RFCs
                  <draft-iesg-iana-considerations-02.txt>
     (nntpext)  o Common NNTP Extensions
                  <draft-ietf-nntpext-imp-01.txt>
     (smime)    o Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME
                  <draft-ietf-smime-ess-01.txt>
     (find)     o LDAPv2 client Vs the Index Mesh
                  <draft-ietf-find-cip-ldapv2-01.txt>
     (idr)      o BGP Route Flap Damping
                  <draft-ietf-idr-route-damp-01.txt,.ps>
     (ospf)     o OSPF Version 2 <draft-ietf-ospf-vers2-02.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Definition of printer: URLs for use with Service
                  Location <draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-01.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o DNS Extensions to support IP version 6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-aaaa-02.txt>
     (none)     o Simple Server Discovery Protocol
                  <draft-honton-sdp-02.txt>
     (none)     o Form-based Device Input and Upload in HTML
                  <draft-salsman-www-device-upload-01.txt>
     (pppext)   o Multi-link Multi-node PPP
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-mmp-discovery-01.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 10]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     (avt)      o RTP Payload Format for the 1998 Version of ITU-T
                  Rec. H.263 Video (H.263+)
                  <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-h263-video-01.txt>
     (none)     o The UDP Multicast Tunneling Protocol
                  <draft-finlayson-umtp-01.txt>
     (none)     o Requirements for DAV Searching and Locating
                  <draft-reddy-dasl-requirements-01.txt>
     (fax)      o A Simple Mode of Facsimile Using Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-service-03.txt>
     (fax)      o Extended Mode of Facsimile Using Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-fpim-01.txt>
     (none)     o Media Features for Display, Print, and Fax
                  <draft-masinter-media-features-02.txt>
     (smime)    o S/MIME Version 3 Message Specification
                  <draft-ietf-smime-msg-01.txt>
     (smime)    o S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling
                  <draft-ietf-smime-cert-01.txt>
     (ngtrans)  o IPv6 routing issues
                  <draft-ietf-ngtrans-6bone-routing-issues-01.txt>
     (ippcp)    o IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE
                  <draft-ietf-ippcp-deflate-01.txt>
     (fax)      o Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax
                  <draft-ietf-fax-goals-01.txt>
     (fax)      o Minimal PSTN address format in Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-01.txt>
     (avt)      + RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time
                  Applications <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-00.txt,.ps>
     (pppext)   + L2TP-over-IP Path MTU Discovery (''L2TPMTU'')
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-l2tpmtu-00.txt>
     (none)     + A POP3 URL Interface
                  <draft-earhart-url-pop3-00.txt>
     (mobileip) + Use of IPSec in Mobile IP
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-ipsec-use-00.txt>
     (none)     o WAVE and AVI Codec Registries
                  <draft-fleischman-codec-subtree-01.txt>
     (schema)   + MIME Directory Profile for LDAP Schema
                  <draft-ietf-schema-ldap-00.txt>
     (cat)      + The Multiple-Path Authentication of Kerberos
                  (MPAKER) <draft-ietf-cat-mpaker-00.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Forcing Fragmentation to Network MTU
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-frag-01.txt>
     (none)     o PGM Reliable Transport Protocol Specification
                  <draft-speakman-pgm-spec-01.txt>
     (none)     + Delta encoding in HTTP
                  <draft-mogul-http-delta-00.txt>
     (none)     + Instance Digests in HTTP
                  <draft-mogul-http-digest-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 11]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     (pppext)   + L2TP Alternate Data Channel (``L2TPADC'')
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-l2tpadc-00.txt>
     (none)     + Provider Architecture for Differentiated Services
                  and Traffic Engineering <draft-li-paste-00.txt>
     (none)     + NAT Bypass for End 2 End 'sensitive' applications
                  <draft-tsirtsis-nat-bypass-00.txt>
     (none)     + Multipath Issues in Unicast and Multicast
                  <draft-thaler-multipath-00.txt>
     (none)     o Matrix Model for Selective Dissemination
                  <draft-day-msd-01.txt>
     (none)     + Division of IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Into Separable
                  Mechanisms
                  <draft-wasserman-ipv6-nd-division-00.txt>
     (iab)      + Folklore of Protocol Design
                  <draft-iab-perlman-folklore-00.txt>
     (none)     + talk: a historical protocol for interactive
                  communication <draft-hunter-talk-00.txt>
     (svrloc)   + The Systems Management Abstract Service Type
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-sysman-00.txt>
     (none)     + Proposal for the object-oriented, cross-platform
                  filesystem (OFS) <draft-rfced-info-mckinlay-00.txt>
     (nntpext)  + NNTP Full-text Search Extension
                  <draft-ietf-nntpext-srch-00.txt>
     (none)     + Common Internet Message Header Fields
                  <draft-palme-mailext-headers-00.txt>
     (none)     + IP Private Address Identification (PAID)
                  <draft-yliteo-mobileip-paid-00.txt>
     (none)     + Simple General Awareness Protocol (SGAP)
                  <draft-day-sgap-00.txt>
     (printmib) + Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations
                  <draft-ietf-printmib-job-protomap-00.txt>
     (rap)      + The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-rap-cops-00.txt>
     (none)     + Globally-Distributed Troubleshooting (GDT):
                  Protocol Specification <draft-thaler-gdt-00.txt>
     (none)     + Mandatory Extensions in HTTP
                  <draft-frystyk-http-mandatory-00.txt>
     (dnssec)   + RSA/MD5 KEYs and SIGs in the Domain Name System
                  (DNS) <draft-ietf-dnssec-rsa-00.txt>
     (snmpv3)   + User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of
                  the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3)
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-usm-v2-00.txt>
     (none)     + One Time Password SASL mechanism
                  <draft-newman-sasl-otp-00.txt>
     (none)     + Using SASL and GSSAPI with Telnet
                  <draft-newman-telnet-sasl-00.txt>
     (none)     + DSS Secured Password Authentication Mechanism
                  <draft-newman-sasl-passdss-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 12]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     (none)     + Sieve -- Vacation Extension
                  <draft-showalter-sieve-vacation-00.txt>
     (tls)      + HTTP Over TLS <draft-ietf-tls-https-00.txt>
     (none)     + TFTP Option Extension
                  <draft-malkin-tftpexts-option-ext-00.txt>
     (none)     + TFTP Timeout Interval and Transfer Size Options
                  <draft-malkin-tftpexts-options-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Ted.Net protocol for messaging based business
                  interchanges
                  <draft-laroche-ted-net-protocol-00.txt>
     (cat)      + Public Key Cryptography for KDC Recovery in
                  Kerberos V5
                  <draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-recovery-00.txt>
     (none)     + Duplicate IP Address Detection Based on Gratuitous
                  ARP <draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-00.txt>
     (none)     + Multicast Address Request Protocol (MARP)
                  <draft-hanna-marp-00.txt>

  7. 36 RFCs were published during this period:

     RFC2156 PS (mixer)   MIXER (Mime Internet X.400 Enhanced Relay):
                          Mapping between X.400 and RFC 822/MIME
     RFC2157 PS (mixer)   Mapping between X.400 and RFC-822/MIME
                          Message Bodies
     RFC2158 PS (mixer)   X.400 image body parts
     RFC2159 PS (mixer)   A MIME body part for FAX
     RFC2160 PS (mixer)   Carrying PostScript in X.400 and MIME
     RFC2161 E  (mixer)   A MIME body part for ODA
     RFC2162 E  (mixer)   MaXIM-11 - Mapping between X.400 / Internet
                          mail and Mail-11 mail
     RFC2163 PS (mixer)   Using the Internet DNS to Distribute MIXER
                          Conformant Global Address Mapping (MCGAM)
     RFC2164 PS (mixer)   Use of an X.500/LDAP directory to support
                          MIXER address mapping
     RFC2199 PS (none)    Request for Comments Summary RFC Numbers
                          2100-2199
     RFC2247 PS (asid)    Using Domains in LDAP/X.500 Distinguished
                          Names
     RFC2248 PS (madman)  Network Services Monitoring MIB
     RFC2249 PS (madman)  Mail Monitoring MIB
     RFC2250 PS (avt)     RTP Payload Format for MPEG1/MPEG2 Video
     RFC2257 PS (agentx)  Agent Extensibility (AgentX) Protocol
                          Version 1
     RFC2258 I  (ids)     Internet Nomenclator Project
     RFC2259 I  (ids)     Simple Nomenclator Query Protocol (SNQP)
     RFC2260 I  (none)    Scalable Support for Multi-homed Multi-
                          provider Connectivity

Ramos                                                          [Page 13]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     RFC2262 PS (snmpv3)  Message Processing and Dispatching for the
                          Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
     RFC2263 PS (snmpv3)  SNMPv3 Applications
     RFC2264 PS (snmpv3)  User-based Security Model (USM) for version
                          3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
                          (SNMPv3)
     RFC2265 PS (snmpv3)  View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for
                          the Simple Network Management Protocol
                          (SNMP)
     RFC2266 PS (vgmib)   Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE
                          802.12 Repeater Devices
     RFC2267 I  (none)    Network Ingress Filtering: Defeating Denial
                          of Service Attacks which employ IP Source
                          Address Spoofing
     RFC2269 I  (ion)     Using the MARS model in non-ATM NBMA
                          networks.
     RFC2270 I  (idr)     Using a Dedicated AS for Sites Homed to a
                          Single Provider
     RFC2271 PS (snmpv3)  An Architecture for Describing SNMP
                          Management Frameworks
     RFC2272 PS (snmpv3)  Message Processing and Dispatching for the
                          Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
     RFC2273 PS (snmpv3)  SNMPv3 Applications
     RFC2274 PS (snmpv3)  User-based Security Model (USM) for version
                          3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
                          (SNMPv3)
     RFC2275 PS (snmpv3)  View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for
                          the Simple Network Management Protocol
                          (SNMP)
     RFC2276 I  (urn)     Architectural Principles of Uniform
                          Resource Name Resolution
     RFC2277 B  (none)    IETF Policy on Character Sets and Languages
     RFC2278 B  (none)    IANA Charset Registration Procedures
     RFC2279 PS (none)    UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646
     RFC2280 PS (rps)     Routing Policy Specification Language
                          (RPSL)

Ramos                                                          [Page 14]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

INTERNET PROJECTS
-----------------

INTERNIC
--------

     REGISTRATION SERVICES

     ******************************************************
     *       gopher sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:    81015
     Retrievals:     6032
     ******************************************************
     *        wais sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:     8733
     Retrievals:     7719
     ******************************************************
     *        whois sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Client Queries:  8210301
     Server Queries:  27366131
     ******************************************************
     *         ftp sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:    97651
     Retrievals:   155980
     ******************************************************
     *      telnet sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:    86939
     ******************************************************
     ******************************************************
     *       http sessions                                *
     ******************************************************
     Retrievals:  14621861

     Telephone: 35,858
     Hostmail:  464,105

     by Rich Landers <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 15]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     INTERNIC DIRECTORY AND DATABASE SERVICES

     The Netfind seed database for January contained over 2.7 million
     entries.

     Since the InterNIC Directory and Database Services project will end
     at the end of March, we have stopped taking new entries for our
     Directory of Directories.  Only InterNIC Directory and Database
     Services will end at that time; InterNIC Registration Services will
     continue operation.

     by Rick Huber <[email-masked]>

THE US DOMAIN REGISTRY
-------------------------

     The US Domain registration form is now available online at
     http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

     The US Domain has the maps of all the delegated special domains
     online at http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

     Some of the processing of the requests to the third level domain
     name is now automated. In particular, most requests to register
     names in localities already delegated are automatically forwarded
     to the administrator of that locality.

     Recent announcements:

     1. A new policy has been added to avoid several cases of
     misleading, erroneous, and outright false information provided on
     registration applications.

     One situation that occurs is that one individual represents himself
     as several distinct companies in order to bypass some limitations
     on the number of delegations allowed (e.g., the 50/500 rule).

     Another situation is that with the requirement to provide a
     government employee as the administrative contact for a locality
     delegation.  Some applications have been received with a government
     employee's contact information but that person has no idea that
     such an application has been submitted.  Some applications provide
     contact information for an individual that knows what is going on
     but is not an employee of the locality government.  Still other
     applications have been received where the administrative contact
     information is fictional.

Ramos                                                          [Page 16]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     The US Domain Administration may choose to verify any or all of the
     information on registration applications (including the
     administrative contact) and if it is determined that the an
     application contains false of substantially misleading information
     that application may be denied, or if already acted on the
     delegation may be revoked, and in either case all other delegations
     made to the party submitting the false or misleading application
     may also be revoked.

     2. A total of about 2000 locality domains that were delegated to
     several domain name managers have been returned to the US Domain
     administrator.  These localities will be made available for
     redelegation in the coming months.

     3. For delegations made after 1-Jul-97, it is assumed by the US
     Domain Administrator that every applicant for the delegation (or
     redelegation) of a locality name has the written agreement of the
     legitimate government for that locality for the applicant to manage
     the domain name of that locality.

     Evidience of such an agreement does not need to be presented at the
     time of delegation (except that the administrative contact on the
     application template must be the government representative).
     However, if the delegation is later challenged or contested, the
     manager of the locality domain must produce the agreement.  Failure
     to do so will most likely result in the transfer of the management
     of the locality domain to another manager that does have such an
     agreement.

     If there is a dispute as to what is the legitimate government for a
     locality is and who may act for it, the league of cities or
     association of municipalities that each state (as recognized by the
     National League of Cities) may be asked to assist in resolving such
     disputes.

     In some places there are overlapping jurisdictions with the same
     name (for example, the city of Los Angeles and the county of Los
     Angeles).  In such cases, the higher level government should have
     priority.  A new policy has been added regarding the charges for
     the domain name passed on during delegation.  The administrator of
     the locality has to notify one year in advance before charging for
     those domains.

     4. The US Domain administrator no longer makes direct registrations
     of hosts, and only makes delegations of third or fourth level
     domain names (such as localities).

Ramos                                                          [Page 17]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     US DOMAIN ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
     ====================================

             EMAIL/FAX            1344
             PHONE                 200
             ----------------------------
             Total Contacts       1544

             DELEGATIONS:           57
             FORWARDED REQUESTS:   400
             OTHER US DOMAIN MSGS:1087
             ---------------------------
             Total                1544

     OTHER US DOMAIN MESSAGES include referrals to other subdomains or
     to/from the InterNic, phone calls, modifications, application
     requests, discussion and clarification of the requests, questions
     about names, resolving technical problems with zone files and name
     servers, and whois listings.

     MAJOR SUBDOMAINS DELEGATED
     ==========================

     K12     CC      TEC     STATE   LIB     MUS     GEN     DST     COG
     ===================================================================
     52      39      36      48      41      27      30      10      6
     ===================================================================

     THIRD LEVEL DELEGATIONS
     ========================

     There were no special domains delegated this month.

     LOCALITIES
     ==========

     ABILENE.KS.US.                  BERLIN.NJ.US.
     PEBBLE-BEACH.CA.US.             HASBROUCK-HEIGHTS.NJ.US.
     NORWICH.VT.US.                  CLAYTON.OH.US.
     OAKLEY.KS.US.                   TYLER.MN.US.
     LIBERTYVILLE.IL.US.             HARVARD.IL.US.
     ROSEMONT.IL.US.                 WOOD-DALE.IL.US.
     ITASCA.IL.US.                   LINCOLNSHIRE.IL.US.

Ramos                                                          [Page 18]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     NORTH-OAKS.MN.US.               MELROSE.MN.US.
     PRAIRIE-GROVE.IL.US.            PRINCETON-BOROUGH.NJ.US.
     TOPANGA.CA.US.

     OTHER US DOMAIN DELEGATIONS THIS MONTH
     ======================================

     MAIL.CI.NOVI.MI.US.             EMWD.DST.CA.US.
     SAMOSET.JOHNSON.VT.US.          ARTREYU.CHINO-HILLS.CA.US.
     BPC-INFO.COLUMBIA.IL.US.        JENSEN.BILLINGS.MT.US.
     JEEPLOVERS.DETROIT.MI.US.       ADTRONICS.WOODSTOCK.GA.US.
     ELITE.SLINGER.WI.US.            SOUNDCITY.CI.ALTOONA.PA.US.
     COMPSVS.CI.BLOOMINGTON.IL.US.   BBBACH.MUNCIE.IN.US.
     SBA.SOLOMONS.MD.US.             CITYHALL.CI.BLOOMINGTON.IL.US.
     OWNS.ROCKLAND.ID.US.            CI.WINDSOR.WI.US.
     OSP.MCALESTER.OK.US.            REMORA.MIAMI.FL.US.
     THEBOYS.TROY.MI.US.             MRHC.MCALESTER.OK.US.
     TAXCOLLECTOR.CO.LAKE.FL.US.     FREYREALTY.MARSHALL.WI.US.
     CI.NEWCASTLE.WA.US.             CI.SALEM.MA.US.
     CI.FAYETTEVILLE.TN.US.          SHA.SOMERVILLE.MA.US.
     MONKEY.ARLINGTON.TX.US.         CI.MOUNT-PLEASANT.TX.US.
     CI.GALT.CA.US.                  CI.UNIVERSITY-HEIGHTS.OH.US.
     ELITETECH.ORLANDO.FL.US.        CI.STRANG.NE.US.
     WHITCO.LIB.WA.US.               PORT.PITTSBURGH.PA.US.
     ENTERPRISE.TROY.MI.US.          DIVERSIFIEDCONSULTING.TROY.MI.US.
     HG.CI.TWIN-FALLS.ID.US.         CO.BONNEVILLE.ID.US.

     URL: http://www.isi.edu/us-domain/

     Sungita Patel <[email-masked]>

MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING
--------------------------

     This report summarizes January 1998 activities of Merit's Internet
     Engineering group on behalf of the Routing Arbiter (RA) service and
     other projects.

     The Routing Arbiter project, a partnership between Merit Network,
     Inc., and the University of Southern California Information
     Sciences Institute, was launched in 1994 as one of several NSFNET
     follow-on projects supported by the National Science Foundation.
     In the following years, the RA successfully deployed Route Server

Ramos                                                          [Page 19]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     systems to facilitate routing information exchange at the Network
     Access Points, and operated the Routing Arbiter Database as an
     important source of information for global policy routing.

     Since the 1995 transition from the NSFNET to a commercial
     networking infrastructure, NSF has focused its networking support
     on network research and development efforts, rather than
     operational activities such as the RADB and the Route Servers.  In
     late 1996, on NSF's recommendation, Route Server operations moved
     from NSF sponsorship to private funding, with several U.S. exchange
     point operators taking over support of the Route Servers (see the
     Route Server Next Generation Web pages, http://www.rsng.net).
     Similarly, the National Science Foundation has now determined that
     there is sufficient support in the community to provide funding for
     the operation of the Routing Arbiter Database, and has asked Merit
     to complete a transition from federal funds to an alternative
     funding model by the end of March 1998.

     Merit wishes to thank those network service providers that have
     already committed financial resources to sustaining RADB
     operations. Additional resources are still needed, however, to
     ensure that the RADB continues to operate until the routing
     community completes its planned transition to a distributed routing
     registry model.  Merit and other organizations participating in
     global routing plans to phase out centralized registries, such as
     the RADB, and move to a distributed registry on or about March 31,
     1999.

     If your organization can assist in supporting the RADB through this
     transition, please contact Merit at (734) 764-9430 and ask for Bill
     Norton, Internet Engineering Manager, or Kitty Bridges, Associate
     Director for National Networking.  You can also send e-mail to
     [email-masked] and [email-masked].
     -------------------------------- Gerald Winters and Jake Khuon
     attended the 29th RIPE meeting in Amsterdam.  At the Routing
     Working Group, Winters gave a presentation titled "Using Internet
     Routing Announcements to Identify Incorrect Internet Routing
     Registry Data."

     Susan Rebecca Harris <[email-masked]>

UCL
----

     UCL Submitted their NS work on transcoders, reliablie multicast and
     priced TCP back to the Vint project.

     John Crowcroft <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 20]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

IANA REPORT
-----------

     DHCP Options                                    3
     Ethernet Numbers                                1
     ICMPv6 Parameters                               1
     Media Types                                     4
     MobileIP Numbers                                8
     Multicast Addresses: Individual Assignments     1
     PPP Numbers                                     2
     Private Enterprise Numbers                      73
     Port Numbers                                    37
     Protocol/Type Field Assignments                 1
     RTP Parameters                                  2
     SMI Numbers                                     3

     by Josh Elliott <[email-masked]>

RFC EDITOR REPORT
-----------------
     This is a summary of Request for Comments Editor activity for the
     month of January, 1998:

                                  TIME IN QUEUE
     DOCUMENTS        New*   30 days     60 days      90 days      TOTAL
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     Beginning of       0       16           7            12      | 35
     month                                                        |
                                                                  |
     New               18        0           0             0      | 18
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
     Processed         10       15           0             9      | 34
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     End of month       8        1           7             3      | 19

     * New RFCs added to queue throughout the month

     The Requests for Comments (RFCs) are a series of notes, started in
     1969, about the Internet (originally the ARPANET). The notes
     discuss many aspects of computing and computer communication
     focusing in networking protocols, procedures, programs, and
     concepts, but also including meeting notes, opinion, and sometimes
     humor. The specification documents of the Internet protocol suite,
     as defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its
     steering group (the IESG), are published as RFCs.

Ramos                                                          [Page 21]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

     RFCs-to-be are edited by the RFC Editor.  RFCs enter the RFC
     Editor's work queue either by an action of the IESG or by
     independent submission.  Most independent submissions are referred
     to the IESG to check for overlap with IETF work.  The IESG might
     put a hold on a document to gather more input from its members.
     The wait for an RFC to be published varies as there can be
     unforeseen complications (typically editorial matters that need
     clarification from the author).  Documents can be removed from the
     publication queue if they are found to be insufficient or incorrect
     or if the IESG asks the author to join work already in progress in
     the IETF.

     Alegre Ramos <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 22]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

CALENDAR
--------

Last update 2/26/98

The information below has been submitted to the IETF Secretariat
as a means of notifying readers of future events. Readers are
requested to send in dates of events that are appropriate for this
calendar section. Please send submissions, corrections, etc., to:

               <[email-masked]>

Please note: The Secretariat does not maintain on-line information
for the events listed below.

A copy of this calendar is available as follows:

VIA FTP
-------
IETF Information is available by anonymous FTP from several sites.

        US East Coast Address:  ds.internic.net (198.49.45.10)
        US West Coast Address:  ftp.isi.edu (128.9.0.32)
        Europe Address:  nic.nordu.net (192.36.148.17)
        Pacific Rim Address:  munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21)
        Africa Address:       ftp.is.co.za (196.4.160.12)

cd ietf
ls *0mtg*

WWW
-------
<http://www.ietf.org/home.html> Click on the link for "meetings" and
you should find an entry "listing of other Internet related events".

************************************************************************

1998
-----------

Mar. 2-3          USENIX New Network
                   Technologies Symposium         Salt Lake City, UT
Mar. 2-3          Electronic Payments Forum (EPF) San Francisco, CA
Mar. 8-11         IEEE, 2nd Euromicro Working Conf. on
                   Soft. Maint. & Reeng.          Florence, Italy
Mar. 9-13         IEEE 802 Plenary                Irvine, CA

Ramos                                                          [Page 23]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

Mar. 11-13        Internet Society NDSS '98: Symposium on
                   Network & Distributed Sys. Security
                   Catamaran Resort Hotel         San Diego, CA
Mar. 16-18        APPN Implementers Workshop      Raleigh, NC
Mar. 29-Apr 2     IEEE INFOCOM '98 - Hotel Nikko  San Francisco, CA
Mar. 30-Apr. 2    pulver.com's Spring '98 Voice
                   on the Net(TM)                 San Jose, CA
Mar. 30-Apr. 3    41st IETF  (No Host)            Los Angeles, CA
Mar. 30-Apr. 3    NetWorld+Interop                Singapore
Mar. 30-Apr. 3    First Merged Symposium
                  IPPS/SPDP 1998, 1sth Intl
                  Parallel Processing Symposium &
                  9th Symposium on Parallel and
                  Distributed Processing          Orlando, FLA
Apr. 3-4          IEEE "OPENARCH '98"             San Francisco, CA
Apr. 6-7          IBC UK Conference on TCP/IP &   London, UK
                     ATM:  The Telco Strategy Summit
Apr. 6-10         wmATM'98  1st Int'l Workshop
                   on Wireless Mobile ATM
                   Implementation                 Hangzhou, China
Apr. 14-18        7th IW3C                        Brisbane, Australia
Apr. 18-23        CHI '98 (ACM SIGCHI)            Los Angeles, CA
Apr. 19-24        ATM Forum                       Berlin, Germany
Apr. 20-22        W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Apr. 22-24        Third IEEE Int'l Workshop on
                    Systems Management            Newport, Rhode Island
Apr. 27-30        USENIX  4th Conf, COOTS         Santa Fe, Mexico
May               RIPE30                          Stockholm (tbd)
May 5-8           Networld+Interop '98            Las Vegas, NV
May 17-20         9th IEEE Workshop on Local and
                   Metropolitan Area Networks     Alberta, Canada
May 18-20         6th IEEE/IFIP Int'l Wkshp on
                   Quality of Service IWQos '98   Napa, CA
May 25-28         Interactive Multimedia
                   Service and Equipment          Zurich, Switzerland
SPRING 1998       TELECOM '97 Africa              Midrand, South Africa
Jun. 7-11         ENCOM '98 in conjunction with
                   ICC/SuperComm '98              Atlanta, GA
Jun. 8-11         pulver.com's Voice on the
                   Net(TM): Europe '98            Oslo, Norway
Jun. 15-17        3rd Intl WWW Caching Wkshp      Manchester, En
Jun. 15-19        USENIX '98 Technical Conf.      New Orleans, LA
Jun. 16-18        DCI's Internet Expo             Chicago, IL
Jul. 2-3          pulver.com's Voice on the
                   Net(TM)                        Tokyo, Japan
Jul. 6-10         IEEE 802 Plenary                San Diego, CA

Ramos                                                          [Page 24]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

Jul. 21-24        INET '98
                  The Internet Society's 8th
                  Annual Networking Conference    Geneva, Switzerland
Jul. 26-31        ATM Forum                       Portland, OR
Aug. 3-5          USENIX 2nd Windows NT           Seattle, Washington
Aug. 5-7          USENIX 2nd Large Instal. Sys.
                   Admin of Windows NT(LISA NT)   Seattle, Washington
Aug. 23-29        15th IFIP World. Com. Conf.     Vienna, Austria and
                                                   Budapest, Hungary
Aug. 24-28        42nd IETF                       Chicago, IL
Aug. 29-Sep 4     SIGCOMM '98                     Vancouver, CANADA
Aug. 31-Sep 3     USENIX  2nd Workshop on
                        Electronic Commerce       Boston, MA
Aug. 31-Sep 4     SEC '98
                  14th Int'l Information          Vienna, Austria and
                  Security Conference             Budapest, Hungary
Sep 1-3           DCI's Internet Expo             Boston, MA
Sep. 14-18        USENIX - 6th TCL/TK Conf.       San Diego, CA
Sep. 14-18        pulver.com's Fall '98 Voice on
                   the Net(TM)                    Boston, MA
Sep. 17-18        Electronic Payments Forum
                   (EPF) Tentative                (TBD)
Oct. 4-9          ATM Forum                       Gold Coast, Australia
Oct. 5-8          TERENA (host by DFN)            Dresden, Germany
Oct. 13-16        Intl Conf on Netw Protocols     Austin, TX
Oct 20-22         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Oct 21-23         Networld+Interop '98            Atlanta, GA
Oct 25-30         MobiCom'98  4th Annual
                   ACM/IEEE                       Dallas, TX
Nov. 9-13         IEEE 802 Plenary                Albuquerque, NM
Nov 25            TERENA Executive Committe       Amsterdam
Nov. 29-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Nashville, TN
Dec. 6-11         12th Systems Administration Conf.
                    (LISA '98)                    Boston, MA
Dec. 7-11         43rd IETF (Tentative)           Orlando, FL

1999
-----
Feb. 7-13         ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
Feb. 22-25        USENIX - 3rd Sym. on
                   Oper. Sys Design and
                   Implementation (OSDI '99)      New Orleans, LA
Feb 23-25         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Mar/April         44th IETF (tentative)           TBA
Apr. 18-24        ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
May 11-14         Networld+Interop '99            Las Vegas, NV
May 10-May 14     8th IW3C                        Toronto, CANADA

Ramos                                                          [Page 25]

Internet Monthly Report                                     January 1998

Jun 4-6           W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Jul 12-16         45th IETF (tentative)           Oslo, Norway
Jul. 18-24        ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
late Aug          SIGCOMM '99 (West Coast US)     Boston, tentative
Sep. 21-23         W3C Interest Group Mtg         TBA
Sep. 26-Oct 2     ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
Oct. 8-14         TELECOM '99                     Geneva, Switzerland
Oct. 13-17        Networld+Interop '99            Atlanta, GA
Nov. 8-12         46th IETF (tentative)           Wash DC (tentative)
Nov. 28-Dec 4     ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA

2000
----

MAR 26-31       47th IETF                         Adelaide, Australia
May 9-11        Networld+Interop '00              Las Vegas, NV
late Aug        SIGCOMM 2000                      Europe (tentative)
Sep 25-29       Networld+Interop '00              Atlanta, GA

The TERENA Calendar for March 1998 may be found on URL:

http://www.terena.nl/news/calendar.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

       TERENA Secretariat

       Singel 466-468
       1017 AW Amsterdam
       the Netherlands

       email <[email-masked]>

       tel: +31 20 639 1131
       fax: +31 20 639 3289

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ramos                                                          [Page 26]