Subject: How CORE Can Contribute...

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:45:30 -0600

On Friday, February 13, 1998 9:56 AM, John Charles Broomfield[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
<snip>
@
@Maybe it's more effective for EACH company in CORE to submit a reply to the
@GP and EACH signatory of the gTLD-MoU to do likewise than actually get them
@to talk as a block.
@

If each company in CORE has the ability to participate in the
commercial Registry Industry as a peer with other companies
that would be great.

Here are some things that EACH of the 88 companies could do:

1. Select a TLD to support and deploy the needed infrastructure
to make that TLD available.

2. Join into groups of 8 companies to deploy 11 new Root Name
Server Confederations. Each of those confederations could have
the same root zone info, but would be separate for performance
and operational reasons.

3. Help provide up to 8 Trustees for each of the TLDs as well as
up to 8 registries for each of the TLDs to help provide stability
to the Registry Industry and more consumer choice in getting
SLD.TLDs registered.

This would be a start. As it stands, CORE has deployed very
little infrastructure and has promoted an "implosive" centralized
model which is counter to the Internet architecture. As soon
as the CORE companies realize that they are better off working
on their own, but cooperatively, then they may begin to fit into
the Internet better.

The CORE companies would also be better off if they spoke
for themselves. At the present time, they have inherited leaders
who claim to speak for them and those leaders clearly have
no interest in deploying anything to help the Registry Industry.
Their main interest appears to be to fly around the world on
the "tab" of the CORE companies. As long as the CORE
companies pay the bills, those people will continue to party.

Fortunately, other companies have work to do and are doing
it. It is also fortunate that the U.S. Government has recognized
that other companies are making the investments to support
the Registry Industry. They are not spending their money
having ceremonies in Switzerland.

Consumers will be served best by companies that focus
on the Registry Industry and the services required to make
customers happy. At the present time, that does not appear
to be the central theme for CORE companies. If they start
to do some of the three items above, then maybe people
will change their opinion. Until then, CORE companies will
be viewed as contributing to a self-appointed group of people
and companies that can absorb all of their money, but not
to the Registry Industry at large.

It should not be a surprise that people in the Registry Industry
do not see any contribution from CORE. If and when CORE
companies contribute, I believe people will recognize those
contributions.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:28:43 -0500

> to make that TLD available.

Umm.. didn't we learn our lesson with the .US domain?
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech