Subject: RIPE CENTR perposal comments

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 12:37:11 +0000

Jim and all,

  Hre is part two of two.

4.1.  Contributors

                In the same way as the formal organization, the RIPE
                CENTR project needs to be bottom-up in structure.
                Therefore it needs contributors to guide and fund
                it.  The scope of contributors for the project
                should be same as that of members for the final
                organization, i.e. all RIPE area national (ISO 3166)
                top level domain registries.  Contribution should be
                on a voluntary basis. Contribution would involve the
                signing of a contract with RIPE NCC for the support
                of RIPE CENTR. By signing such a contract the con-
                tributor would not become a member of RIPE NCC.

  Excellent idea as far as it goes.  I would further suggest that
not just ISO 3166 TLD's be included here.

                If RIPE CENTR should terminate being a RIPE NCC pro-
                ject then any remaining funds would be proportion-
                ately returned to the contributors or could be given
                to any follow-up organization.

  Very good idea.

    4.2.  Funding

                Funding for the project will be exclusively found
                from the members. The level of funding will depend
                upon the scope of the project and the number of mem-
                bers. In general though the funding will have to
                meet two costs; the partial funding of IANA; and the
                covering of costs incurred in the execution of the
                activities defined by the members.

  We cannot support the idea of funding the IANA in its current
leadership
process.  Unless the IANA changes fundamentally, this will be very
difficult
to accomplish.

                A draft budget can be found at Appendix A.

    4.3.  Location

                The choosing of a location to house the RIPE CENTR
                project is not necessarily the same as the choosing
                of a location for the future RIPE CENTR organisa-
                tion. This proposal only discusses the location of
                the RIPE CENTR project.

                It is proposed that the RIPE NCC host the RIPE CENTR
                project. The reasons for choosing the RIPE NCC as
                opposed to another location are varied, but the most
                important ones are:

                *    For this project to succeed it has to be seen
                     as totally impartial and be able to immediately
                     have credibility. By being hosted by RIPE NCC,
                     which has built up a well known and respected
                     position of impartiality within the Internet
                     governance hierarchy over the last six years,
                     and using certain RIPE NCC resources, the RIPE
                     CENTR project will immediately have a head-
                     start.

  This seems reasonable and exceptable idea/approach.

                *    The RIPE NCC has also gained a lot of experi-
                     ence in the managing of a bottom-up structure
                     across an identical geographical area which
                     will be of benefit to the RIPE CENTR project.

                *    If hosted by the RIPE NCC initial communication
                     with IANA will be easier since communication
                     channels and contacts are already in use.

                *    The RIPE NCC administration is already handling
                     an similar membership fee budgeting and charg-
                     ing system, thus the addition of the RIPE CENTR
                     activities would not be disruptive and could be
                     easily accommodate.

                *    The RIPE NCC has experience of successfully
                     nurturing projects e.g. the PRIDE project, which
                     once mature enough become independent.

    4.4.  Staff

                It is proposed that the staffing of the RIPE CENTR
                project be kept to a minimum until the future of the
                project is guaranteed. The initial staffing would be
                one full-time RIPE NCC employee (RIPE CENTR Manager)
                for project management, liasion, and activity coor-
                dination, and various other RIPE NCC employees or
                consultants on an ad-hoc basis as their skills were
                needed.

  We think this seems a bit to loose and undefined adequately.
Suggestion:  Purpose a budget that would provide for all the initial
position costs for permanent staff for at least 5 years.

                Please note that this is the initial staffing level.
                If then workload increases or new activities are
                taken on then of course the staffing levels can,
                after approval of the project contributors and RIPE
                NCC, be raised.

  Raising of funds seems to be the biggest problem here.  This
is not a difficult task if done with care and a good idea of what
is really needed over a period of time.  In addition, opening up funding

for donational funding, with no strings should be given consideration.

    4.5.  Operations

                The activities of RIPE CENTR will be carried out by
                the RIPE NCC, in the form of those staff members
                allocated to this project. The RIPE CENTR Manager
                will, after consultation with the project contribu-
                tors and the tld-wg, propose an activity plan to the
                contributors for their approval. Only once approved
                by the contributors and by RIPE NCC (as the legally
                responsible body) will an activity plan be executed.

  This is a proper way of proceeding.  Well done here.

                Communication between the contributors and the staff
                would take place via a RIPE NCC maintained mailing
                list (separate from the tld-wg list). The RIPE CENTR
                project would publish all documents and project
                results on the RIPE NCC web site.

  Very good.

    4.6.  Time Frame

                The following time frame is proposed for the cre-
                ation of the RIPE CENTR project and the future RIPE
                CENTR organization.

                     28 Jan 98 (RIPE 29, Amsterdam)

                *    RIPE CENTR project proposal presented to the
                     tld-wg for discussion.

                *    The Proposal is simultaneously sent to all
                     potential members.

  Have these things been done?  If so what is the status?

                     Feb 98

                *    Principle consensus is reached that the project
                     will be hosted by the RIPE NCC, and what the
                     structure the project will take.

  When does this occur as far as actual date?  Are there any other
outside parties allowed to offer input at this juncture?  If not, why
not?

                     Mar 98

                *    Based upon consensus reached in February opera-
                     tional plans and budgets and funding require-
                     ments for the RIPE CENTR project are published.

                     Mar-Apr 98

                *    RIPE area ISO 3166 top level domain registries
                     volunteer to be contributors of the RIPE CENTR
                     project and fund the project.

                     20 May 98 (RIPE 30, Stockholm)

                *    The final structure of the RIPE CENTR project
                     is presented along with the initial list of

  All of these remaining points are well possitioned and exceptable at
this juncture.

                     contributors.

                *    The initial group of contributors have the
                     first meeting to decide on activity priorities.

  Good.  We take it this is a development of a action plan?

                     Jun 98

                *    The RIPE CENTR project becomes operational.

                     Jun 99

                *    The RIPE CENTR project is assessed by its con-
                     tributors as to whether it should continue. If
                     it is seen to be successful plans should be
                     made to create the independent RIPE CENTR
                     organization.

                     2000

                *    The independent RIPE CENTR organization is
                     established.

  This date is not aggressive enough.

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
E-Mail [email-masked]