Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:58:19 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Access, Searching and Indexing of Directories Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):  
                          Extensions for Dynamic Directory Services
	Author(s)	: T. Genovese, M. Wahl, Y. Yaacovi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-07.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 23-Dec-97
	
   This document defines the requirements for dynamic directory services
   and specifies the format of request and response extended operations
   for supporting client-server interoperation in a dynamic directories
   environment.
 
   The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) [1] supports
   lightweight access to static directory services, allowing relatively
   fast search and update access.  Static directory services store
   information about people that persists in its accuracy and value over
   a long period of time.
  
   Dynamic directory services are different in that they store
   information that only persists in its accuracy and value when it is
   being periodically refreshed.  This information is stored as dynamic
   entries in the directory.  A typical use will be a client or a person
   that is either online - in which case it has an entry in the
   directory, or is offline - in which case its entry disappears from the
   directory.  Though the protocol operations and attributes used by
   dynamic directory services are similar to the ones used for static
   directory services, clients that store dynamic information in the
   directory need to periodically refresh this information, in order to
   prevent it from disappearing.  If dynamic entries are not refreshed
   within a given timeout, they will be removed from the directory.  For
   within a given timeout, they will be removed from the directory.  For
   example, this will happen if the client that set them goes offline.
 
   A flow control mechanism from the server is also described that allows
   a server to inform clients how often they should refresh their
   presence.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-07.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-07.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.