Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-tls-imappop-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:58:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Using TLS with IMAP4 and POP3
	Author(s)	: C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-tls-imappop-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 13-Nov-97
	
     The TLS protocol [TLS] (formerly known as SSL) provides a way to
     secure a connection from tampering and evesdropping.  Obviously,
     such security is desirable for IMAP [IMAP4] and POP [POP3].
     Although advanced authentication mechanisms [IMAP-AUTH, POP-AUTH]
     can provide this service with less complexity than TLS, TLS is
     useful in combination with plaintext password logins and other
     simple mechanisms as it doesn't require a site to upgrade its
     authentication database.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-tls-imappop-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-newman-tls-imappop-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-tls-imappop-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.