Subject: RE: unresponsive secretariat

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 19:08:06 -0600

On Tuesday, February 17, 1998 6:35 PM, Michael A Quinlan[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
<snip>
@>
@>No. Since November, it has been funded entirely by meeting attendance fees.
@
@Is the failure to automate the unsubscription process due to a lack of
@funding, or is there some other problem?
@

Have you heard the one about how many IETF
members it takes to replace a light bulb ?

1. Read the RFCs
2. Ask the IANA
3. Being in the dark is not considered to be a problem
4. Four...Jon, Paul, Vint and Ringo
5. Form a Working Group and debate it
6. Get the U.S. Government to replace it
7. One, everyone else is in the hallway talking

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI

---

From: "Flanigan, Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:27:00 -0000

Hello Steve,
 
     1.  As a list "owner" with a manual subscribe/unsubscribe 
 requirement, I "feel your pain."
 
     2.  Let those (one?) who want(s) to go to Seattle do so and use 
 the Mbone, etc. to connect with Orlando.
 
     3.  I know Orlando well--it's a destination point for conventions 
 and LARGE meetings with plenty of supporting facilities.  A very good 
 choice.
 
     4.  You guys are doing a great job--I know you know it, but 
 there's nothing like an unsolicited confirmation now and then!  
 Right?
 
 Bill
 
 P.S.  Disneyland is in Anaheim, outside Paris, and outside Tokyo--but 
 not outside Orlando.  DisneyWORLD is outside Orlando.  Just in case 
 someone is keeping score.
 
 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 William F. Flanigan, Jr., Ph.D.       Voice:           (703) 735-3305
 Defense Information Systems Agency      DSN:                      653
 Strategic Planning Office (JEBA)        Fax:            (703)735-3255
 10701 Parkridge Boulevard        Voice Mail:            (703)735-3305 
 Reston, VA 20191-4357              Internet:  <[email-masked]>

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

______________________________ Reply Separator 
_________________________________
Subject: Re: unresponsive secretariat
Author:  Steve Coya [SMTP:[email-masked]]  at DISA2
Date:    2/17/98 2:02 PM

Bill,

I was about to prepare a point-by-point response, but figured it would
be 
more efficient to simply state that:

We were behind on subscribe and unsubscribe requests, but I do believe
we 
almost caught up. We have already _responded_ to the requests that were 
sent last night and early this morning. One unsubscribe request was from
a 
sender NOT on the IETF list. We've already informed him of this, and 
suggested he send his unsubscribe request to the OTHER list that was
on the envelope.
 
WRT Seattle vs Orlando, there were no hotels in Seattle large enough to 
accommodate the IETF. And as this is off-season, the rates were are 
looking at for Orlando are well below those of Seattle.

Steve