Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-fax-fpim-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 12:08:28 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Fax Profile for Internet Mail
	Author(s)	: L. Masinter, D. Wing
	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-fpim-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 21-Nov-97
	
This specification provides for carriage of facsimile data over the
Internet. It employs standard protocols and file formats such as
TCP/IP, SMTP[SMTP], POP3[POP], MIME[MIME], and TIFF[TIFF].  It can
send images not only to other Internet-aware fax devices but also to
Internet-native systems, such as PCs with common email readers which
can handle MIME mail and TIFF data.
 
The document [FAXREQ] defines the requirements and desired properties
for facsimile over the Internet.  The facilities proposed here purport
to satisfy the requirements identified in [FAXREQ].
 
This proposal expands previous proposals [WIDE2] as it deals with
expanded capabilities as well as simple facsimile transmission.  It
defines the behavior of devices that provide gateway functions between
SMTP and traditional fax machines connected to the public switched
telephone network (PSTN), as well as behavior of SMTP sender and
receivers that are exchanging fax images [TIFF]. The specification is
based on previous work in Internet Fax within the IETF and ITU, and
the work of the Voice Profile for Internet Mail group [VPIM].
 
The Fax Profile of Internet Mail consists of the application of several
existing and proposed Internet Standards to accomlish the task
of sending image data. The profile calls for the use of standards
This specification provides for carriage of facsimile data over the
Internet. It employs standard protocols and file formats such as
TCP/IP, SMTP[SMTP], POP3[POP], MIME[MIME], and TIFF[TIFF].  It can
send images not only to other Internet-aware fax devices but also to
Internet-native systems, such as PCs with common email readers which
can handle MIME mail and TIFF data.
 
The document [FAXREQ] defines the requirements and desired properties
for facsimile over the Internet.  The facilities proposed here purport
to satisfy the requirements identified in [FAXREQ].
 
This proposal expands previous proposals [WIDE2] as it deals with
expanded capabili

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-fax-fpim-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-fpim-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-fpim-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.