Subject: Re: IANA split and RFC Editor

From: "Michael A Quinlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 22:21:53 -0700

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

>The RFC Editor task will not be part of the "new IANA corporation", and
>will be a separate function to managed and funded by the
>IETF/IESG/IAB/ISOC.

How is the IETF/IESG/IAB/ISOC funded now? I know the ISOC gets corporate and
individual membership fees, but that doesn't seem like very much.

Thanks,

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 13:00:01 +0000

Michael A Quinlan wrote:
... 
> individual membership fees, but that doesn't seem like very much.

The IETF meetings and secretariat costs are funded by the meeting
fees (but for many years the secretariat was NSF funded).

The IESG and the IAB are "volunteer" groups, i.e. our
employers cover the expenses. The IETF Chair also has a 
fund from the ISOC to defray common expenses.

The ISOC is funded by membership fees, as you say.
That is far from negligible since the rates go up to
Sustaining Gold membership at $50k/year.

   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 18:04:16 -0500 (EST)

> individual membership fees, but that doesn't seem like very much.

The Internet Society is funding through individuals and corporate
contributions.  Its other sources of revenues (and sometime losses) are
the conferences that it organizes.

The IETF is basically self funded, through meeting fees.

The IESG and IAB are basically funded by their members, or their
employers. If we accounted the time they spend at anything like a market
rate, we would see a budget of several million dollars.

-- 
Christian Huitema
----------
See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24,July 98 http://www.isoc.org/inet98/

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike St. Johns)
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 10:52:06 -0800

> fees (but for many years the secretariat was NSF funded).

Actually the secretariat was Federal Networking Council funded including money 
from NSF, ARPA, NASA and DOE - NSF held the cooperative agreement with CNRI.  
This was also the case with IANA/RFC Editor - but in that case, the contract 
was through ARPA.