Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-overell-srap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:17:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Simple Roaming Authentication Protocol: SRAP
	Author(s)	: P. Overell
	Filename	: draft-overell-srap-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 24-Feb-98
	
   The Simple Roaming Authentication Protocol is intended to provide an
   authentication facility for other non-authenticated protocols.  It
   utilises registered SASL [SASL] mechanisms.
 
   This protocol has been developed in order that an ISP's roaming
   customers can be authenticated when connecting via other networks or
   ISPs.  Rather than deploying new client software to handle
   authenticating versions of all protocols (SMTP, POP3, NNTP etc) a
   single SRAP applet is deployed that handles the authentication for
   all other protocols.
 
   When the server of a non-authenticated protocol wishes to
   authenticate a client the server starts another connection back to
   the client using SRAP.  The SRAP conversation authenticates the
   client to the server.  The original non-authenticated protocol can
   now proceed.
 
   For example with SMTP consider two machines Alice's and Bob's.
   Alice's runs an SMTP client and a SRAP authenticatee; Bob's runs an
   SMTP server and a SRAP authenticator.  Alice's machine connects to
   Bob's using SMTP.  SMTP does not support authentication so another
   connection is made back from Bob's machine to Alice's, this time
   using SRAP.  The SRAP conversation authenticates Alice to Bob.  The
   SMTP conversation can now proceed.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-overell-srap-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-overell-srap-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-overell-srap-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.