Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-rsvp-timer-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 14:07:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Staged Refresh Timers for RSVP
	Author(s)	: R. Guerin, H. Schulzrinne, P. Pan
	Filename	: draft-pan-rsvp-timer-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 03-Dec-97
	
   The current resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) design has
   no reliability mechanism for the delivery of control messages.
   Instead, RSVP relies on periodic refresh between routers to
   maintain reservation states.  This approach has several problems
   in a congested network.  End systems send Path and Resv messages
   to set up RSVP connections.  If the first Path or Resv message
   from an end system is accidentally lost in the network, a copy of
   the message will not be retransmitted until the end of a refresh
   interval, causing a delay of 30 seconds or more until a reservation
   is established.  If a congested link causes a tear-down message
   (PathTear or ResvTear) to be dropped, the corresponding reservation
   will not be removed from the routers until the RSVP cleanup timer
   expires.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pan-rsvp-timer-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-pan-rsvp-timer-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pan-rsvp-timer-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.