Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-thaler-multipath-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:53:22 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Multipath Issues in Unicast and Multicast
	Author(s)	: D. Thaler
	Filename	: draft-thaler-multipath-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 14-Jan-98
	
Various routing protocols, including OSPF [1] and ISIS, allow ''Equal-
Cost Multipath'' routing.  At least two vendors also allow equal-cost
multipath usage with RIP [2].  Using equal-cost multipath means that if
multiple equal-cost routes to the same destination exist, they can all
be discovered and used to provide load balancing among redundant paths.
 
The effects of multipath routing on a forwarder is that the forwarder
potentially has several next-hops for any given destination and must use
some method to choose which next-hop should be used for a given data
packet.   In this memo, we describe current practice, problems with
this, and potential solutions.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-thaler-multipath-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-thaler-multipath-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-thaler-multipath-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.