Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:39:26 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Coexistence and Interoperability of 
                          NTP Authentication Schemes
	Author(s)	: D. Mills, T. Glassey, M. McNeil
	Filename	: draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 26-Nov-97
	
   This memorandum describes extensions to the Network Time Protocol
   (NTP) version 3, described in RFC 1305 [MIL92], and the Simple
   Network Time Protocol (SNTP) version 4, described in RFC 2030
   [MIL96a], to create a framework for interoperability and coexistence
   of various cryptographic signature and authentication schemes that
   have been suggested as enhancements to NTP/SNTP [MIL96b]. Without
   describing any particular approach to authentication in detail, a
   framework is hereby established for these schemes and methods to
   coexist and interoperate on a single network or Internet.
 
   NTP v3, as specified in RFC 1305, provides support for a method
   of symmetric-key authentication. This model requires independent,
   out-of-band, distribution of cryptographic keys, with the associated
   risk of compromising those keys during distribution. This process is
   too costly and too great a security risk for universal application.
 
   The NTP protocol extensions described here allow for the creation
   of certified time from a certified and authenticated time source,
   for use in portable commercial-grade trust, non-repudiated logging,
   cryptographic synchronization, and other critical network management
   services. Newer cryptographic techniques involving public-key
   certificates and authentication (see the series of Internet-Drafts
   by the Public Key Infrastructure X.509 [PKIX] working groups of
   the IETF) can elevate timestamping to a trustable resource.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.