Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-canonical-ordering-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:07:55 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Caution On The Canonical Ordering 
                          Of Link-Layer Addresses
	Author(s)	: T. Narten, C. Burton
	Filename	: draft-narten-canonical-ordering-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 05-Nov-97
	
   Protocols such as ARP and Neighbor Discovery have data fields that
   contain link-layer addresses. In order to interoperate properly, a
   sender setting such a field must insure that the receiver extracts
   those bits and interprets them correctly.  In most cases, such fields
   must be in ''canonical form.'' Unfortunately, not all LAN adaptors are
   consistent in their use of canonical form, and implementations may
   need to explicitly bit swap individual bytes in order to obtain the
   correct format. This document provides information to implementors to
   help them avoid the pitfall of using non-canonical forms when
   canonical forms are required.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-narten-canonical-ordering-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-narten-canonical-ordering-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-narten-canonical-ordering-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.