Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ema-vpim-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:25:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Voice Profile for Internet Mail - version 2
	Author(s)	: G. Vaudreuil, G. Parsons
	Filename	: draft-ema-vpim-06.txt
	Pages		: 51
	Date		: 24-Nov-97
	
     A class of special-purpose computers has evolved to provide voice
     messaging services.  These machines generally interface to a telephone
     switch and provide call answering and voice messaging services.
     Traditionally, messages sent to a non-local machine are transported
     using analog networking protocols based on DTMF signaling and analog
     voice playback.  As the demand for networking increases, there is a
     need for a standard high-quality digital protocol to connect these
     machines.  The following document is a profile of the Internet
     standard MIME and ESMTP protocols for use as a digital voice messaging
     networking protocol. The profile is referred to as VPIM (Voice Profile
     for Internet Mail) in this document.

     This profile is based on earlier work in the Audio Message Interchange
     Specification (AMIS) group that defined a voice messaging protocol
     based on X.400 technology.  This profile is intended to satisfy the
     user requirements statement from that earlier work with the industry
     standard ESMTP/MIME mail protocol infrastructures already used within
     corporate intranets. This second version of VPIM is based on
     implementation experience and obsoletes RFC 1911 which describes
     version 1 of the profile.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ema-vpim-06.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ema-vpim-06.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ema-vpim-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.