Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-hobs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 09:27:57 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Hierarchical Operational Bindings - a profile
	Author(s)	: K. Richardson, A. Hodson, E. Andersen, 
                          L. Visser, P. Fantou, J. Pasquerau
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapext-hobs-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 31-Dec-97
	
      Where LDAP servers are based on X.500 DSAs for the holding of
      distributed Directory information, the maintenance of the
      necessary security and networking relationships between DSAs is
      an important factor to consider.
 
      The '93 X.500 Directory standards define HOB (Hierarchical
      Operational Binding) procedures for the creation of a new naming
      context in another DSA, and also for the maintenance of the
      relationship between two DSAs where one holds a superior naming
      context and the other holds a subordinate naming context.  The
      standards also define the use of the Directory Operational
      Binding Management Protocol (DOP) to mediate these procedures.
 
      The use of HOBs provides a major simplification for managers of
      X.500 systems, since it provides a way to update policies
      automatically from one DSA to another.  But practical design for
      HOBs requires decisions in a number of respects not fully
      treated by the standards.  This document simplifies the
      implementor's task by defining viable and practical subsets of
      the standards and by clarifying some of the issues left
      undefined by the standards.
 
      HOBs always represent an intimate relationship between DSAs
      which must be protected from masquerade. A method of providing
      this protection is given in the '93 Directory standards by
      requiring mutual authentication at the bind between DSAs. HOBS
      will normally only be established between DSAs owned by a single
      administrative authority, so security needs to be considered in
      this somewhat easier context than complete openness.
 
      Although simple unprotected authentication (name and password)
      can be a valid option in an already-secure environment, simple
      protected authentication using an encrypted password is
      potentially a much more secure technique, as is strong
      authentication using public key cryptography. All such
      techniques are validly used within the scope of this profile, as
      are techniques not defined but permitted by the Directory
      standards (these are known as ''external'' methods).
 
      Support of simple authentication is mandated for all
      implementations compliant with this profile.  Where this is not
      adequate, purchasers need to ensure that their requirements for
      are met.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldapext-hobs-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-hobs-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-hobs-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.