Subject: Protocol Action: IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation, and Recall Process: Operation of the Nominating and Recall Committees to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:00:44 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IAB and IESG Selection,
Confirmation, and Recall Process:  Operation of the Nominating and
Recall Committees' <draft-ietf-poisson-nomcom-04.txt> as a BCP.  This
document is the product of the Process for Organization of Internet
StandardS ONg Working Group.  The IESG contact person is Fred Baker.

Technical Summary

The process for IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation, and Recall
Process is now in its fourth revision. Prior revisions are found in
RFCs 1310, 1602, and 2027 respectively. While the processes defined in
these RFCs have basically worked, flaws have been uncovered and fixed.
This document, which at least in part responds to requests for more
specific guidance from a sitting nominating committee, represents the
next iteration, and no doubt is not the last.

Changes at this juncture include:

    (1)   In order to foster better communication between nominating
          committees from one year to the next the Chair of each year's
          committee has been added as a non-voting liaison of the next
          year's committee.

    (2)   In order to confirm the eligibility of each volunteer in the
          pool of names from which nominating committee members are
          chosen the Chair must announce the list prior to the random
          selection.

    (3)   In order to confirm the random selection process used to
          select voting nominating committee members the Chair must
          announce the fair and unbiased method used in advance of its
          execution.

    (4)   Some guidance was added to ensure that the nominating
          committee consults with a broad base of the IETF community.

    (5)   Some guidance was added to ensure that the nominating
          committee understands that it may name prospective nominees
          when consulting with individual members of the IETF community.

    (6)   Some guidance was added to ensure that the nominating
          committee understands that it is responsible for ensuring that
          an appropriate set of one-half of each of the IESG and IAB
          positions are reviewed each year.

Working Group Summary

Discussion in the Poisson Working Group was extensive, spirited, and
far-ranging, as it always is. It was not acrimonious for the most part,
and discussants sought to achieve the best result. The result reflects
to a great extent the political philosophies of the discussants.

Protocol Quality

This specification is the basis on which the current nominating
committee is operating, and appears to be satisfactory to that
committee for the guidance it requires. It was reviewed by Fred Baker
for the IESG, who finds it clear on the points it addresses, and
believes that the other points are well left to the discretion of the
Nomination Committee Chair.