Subject: RFC 2240 on Domain Name Allocation

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:32:56 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2240

        Title:      A Legal Basis for Domain Name Allocation
	Author(s):  O. Vaughan
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       November 1997
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13602
        Updates/Obsoletes: None

        URL:        ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2240.txt

The purpose of this memo is to focus discussion on the particular
problems with the exhaustion of the top level domain space in the
Internet and the possible conflicts that can occur when multiple
organisations are vying for the same name. No proposed solutions in
this document are intended as standards for the Internet. Rather, it
is hoped that a general consensus will emerge as to the appropriate
solution to such problems, leading eventually to the adoption of
standards.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 1543, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.