Subject: Status of Firewall MIB in the 40th IETF Meeting in DC

From: Herbert Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:30:29 -0500

All,

This is to report to you the status of Firewall MIB standardization effort
in the 40th IETF meeting in DC. 

We had several new companies approached me in this DC IETF meeting and
discuss their interests on this effort.  They had asked me to include their
names in this mailing list (and I did as you can see).  

I have also met with Jeffrey Schiller, Area Director of Security, IETF and
officially requests to standardize Firewall MIB.  I showed him that we
would like to be a working group in the LA IETF Meeting on March.  He
promised me to review our Charter Statements and the contributed document
Firewall MIB (v.1.9).  

Many people had asked me about our Charter statements and the Firewall MIB.
Both documents can be found in the web site we had just set up with the
following URL:
	http://cso.bbnplanet.com/ietf/

The ASCII format of the firewall MIB can also be found in the IETF official
Web Site with the following URL:
	ftp://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-grall-firewall-mib-00.txt

I am in the process of create an mailing list for anyone in the IETF
community to subscribe to the discussion group mailing list automatically.
This will be announced in the above GTE web site as well as notification
through e-mail.  Meanwhile, please submit your subscriptions to me or Cindy
and use the above mailing list for our discussion.

Currently, TIS and GTE have (partially) completed their reference
implementation and started their interoperatability testing.  I am also
aware of that Check Point might also has started their reference
implementation.  If you have done some reference implementation as an SNMP
agent on the Firewall side, and would like to conduct the
interoperatability testing with the management (monitoring) systems, please
drop me an e-mail.  

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards,

Herbert Lin
Manager, Software Development
Mail Stop: 20/6D
GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN
150 CambridgePark Drive
Cambridge, MA 02138

E-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: 617-873-5920
Fax: 617-873-6846