Subject: Protocol Action: Negative Caching of DNS Queries (DNS NCACHE) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:32:23 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Negative Caching of DNS
Queries (DNS NCACHE)' <draft-ietf-dnsind-ncache-09.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the DNS IXFR, Notification,
and Dynamic Update Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey
Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
  In RFC1034, "Domain names - concepts and facilities", there is a
  description of how to cache negative responses. However, it has a
  fundamental flaw in that it does not allow a name server to hand out
  those cached responses to other resolvers, thus greatly reducing the
  effect of the caching. This document addresses issues raise in light
  of experience and replaces Section 4.3.4 of that document.

  Negative caching is an optional part of the DNS specification and
  deals with the caching of the non-existence of an RRset or domain
  name. It is useful as it reduces the response time for negative
  answers. It also reduces the number of messages that have to be sent
  between resolvers and name servers.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group last call produced no issues with this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.