Subject: RE: The Message is Simple - Just like the Internet

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:13:59 -0600

On Tuesday, February 24, 1998 11:07 AM, Lars-Johan Liman[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
@[email-masked]:
@> By stand-alone, I mean when you do a "dig . any" you get a list of
@> Root Name Servers that are ALL within the GEO-NETRIC area where your
@> system is located.
@
@Ah, I see. "The more Internets, the merrier."
@
@"What's your e-mail address?"
@"It depends on which Internet you're subscribing to ..."
@
@No way ...
@

No, sorry, that is not what is intended. You deleted
the following...why?

"Europe could have a cluster just like Australia
now has a cluster. These clusters can be "synced"
via some simple software that cross checks the
clusters."

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:14:01 -0500

> via some simple software that cross checks the

I presume that many people (like myself), read the phrase
"can be synched" in the IETF-standard MAY sense, whereas
the phrase "would be synched" would have a MUST sense
attached to it.

The Alternic crew wanted to attach MAY semantics here, and
the real world demands MUST semantics.

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: Tripp Lilley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:16:43 -0500 (EST)

> via some simple software that cross checks the

Perhaps you can explain how this changes anything substantively?
Certainly, this distributes the load among more root servers. But if these
confederations are "synching" as you say, how does that solve this
registration dilemma?

That is to say, who owns .com under your proposal? If I want to register
perspex.com, do I have to go to each of the confederations and say "I'd
like to register perspex.com, please let me in" ? Or do I go to my 'local'
registrar and say "I'd like to register perspex.com, please let me in and
sync with the other confederations"?

If the latter, how do you address the issue of two people registering
perspex.com at the same time in different confederations? What happens
when the confederations synchronize (nightly, weekly, hourly, whatever),
and then choke on the fact that perspex.com belongs to two different
organizations?

Help me understand your confederation proposal in a way that addresses the
issue of maintaining a single, global, shared namespace for the _The_
Internet.

Thanks!

- t.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Tripp Lilley, Perspex Imageworks, Inc. ([email-masked])
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
      "Give me a fast computer, for I intend to go in harm's way"
                      - updating John Paul Jones