Subject: IDUP Compatibility of call sets

From: Graham Bland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:31:04 +0000

Another question or change:

When generating evidence by the EV call subset evidence_check is returned as 
an octet string (implemented as a gss_buffer_t) which will be opaque to the 
caller.

When the EV calls are used for the verification of the evidence this is 
passed to idup_ev_xxbuffer_startverify() in the same format.  However if the 
GP calls are used for the verify I cannot see how  the evidence_check 
contents can be mapped onto the parameters of the idup_start_unprotect call.

Can anybody help or is this a change to the specification ?

Graham Bland
Zergo.
--
Zergo Limited, The Square, Basing View, Basingstoke, Hants. RG21 4EG, UK
Tel: + 44 (0) 1442 342 600    Fax: +44 (0) 1256 812 901
Website:  http://www.zergo.com

---

From: Carlisle Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 14:09:06 -0500

Hi Graham,

>----------
>From: 	Graham Bland[SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	Thursday, January 15, 1998 5:31 AM
>To: 	[email-masked]
>Subject: 	IDUP Compatibility of call sets
>

The corresponding entity in the GP calls is the (input parameter)
service_verification_info in Unprot_Service.  This is specified in IDUP
to be of type Service_Verification_Info, which is described as a
mechanism-defined parameter bundle.

I tried to make this as general as possible (in keeping with the GP
calls themselves), by allowing total freedom in number and type of
parameters in the Service_Verification_Info bundle.  However, in
practice I think that most mechanism specifications will simply define a
single parameter which is an opaque OCTET STRING, thereby allowing what
you are proposing above (i.e., that evidence may be generated by an EV
call and verified by a GP call, or vice versa).

--------------------------------------------
Carlisle Adams
Entrust Technologies
[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:33:31 +0100

Carlisle,

The implementation twists to provide cross-use of GP and EV(SE) calls ought to be 
indicated.
Add a paragraph/note in the GP text describing this. 

/Bengt Ackzell