Subject: Re: Future requirements for IETF hosts?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:03:35 -0500

> 
	 > At 12:31 PM 12/10/97 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
	 > 
	 > >On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:58:32 EST, you said:
	 > >> Thinking out load: wouldn't it be great to require future hosts
	 > >> to use DHCP in the terminal room? Not having it is a real pain
	 > >> in the neck.
	 > >
	 > >Umm.. require *supporting* it, or require it as The Way To Do It?
	 > >
	 > 
	 > The former, of course.
	 > 
	 > - paul
	 > 
	 
	 Actually, the DC terminal DID support DHCP - it was just an
	 unadvertised feature!  I did received an address on a sheet of paper
	 as I walked into the room, but my laptop was already configured to use
	 DHCP.  I thought that it would just bomb out the first time I tried
	 and then I'd have to configure it with the provided address. Nope,
	 DHCP worked everytime I connected.

For me, it sometimes worked -- there was speculation that something in the
bridging setup messed things up.