Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rap-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 10:26:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the RSVP Admission Policy Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Framework for Policy-based Admission Control
	Author(s)	: R. Yavatkar, R. Guerin, D. Pendarakis
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rap-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 26-Nov-97
	
  The IETF working groups such as Integrated Services (called ''int-serv'')
  and RSVP [1] have developed extensions to the IP architecture and the
  best-effort service model so that applications or end users can request
  specific quality (or levels) of service from an internetwork in addition
  to the current IP best-effort service.  The int-serv model for these new
  services requires explicit signaling of the QoS (Quality of Service)
  requirements from the end points and provision of admission and traffic
  control at Integrated Services routers. The proposed standards for RSVP
  [RFC 2205] and Integrated Services [RFC 2211, RFC 2212] are examples of a
  new reservation setup protocol and new service definitions respectively.
  Under the int-serv model, certain data flows receive preferential treat-
  ment over other flows; the admission control component only takes into
  account the requester's  resource reservation request and available capa-
  city to determine whether or not to accept a QoS request. However, the
  int-serv mechanisms do not include  an important aspect of admission con-
  trol: network managers and service providers must be able to monitor, con-
  trol, and enforce use of network resources and services based on policies
  derived from criteria such as the identity of users and applications,
  traffic/bandwidth requirements, security considerations, and time-of-
  day/week.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rap-framework-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.