Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-calsch-ical-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 10:12:50 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Calendaring and Scheduling Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object 
                          Specification (iCalendar)
	Author(s)	: F. Dawson, D. Stenerson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-calsch-ical-04.txt
	Pages		: 79
	Date		: 31-Oct-97
	
   There is a clear need to provide and deploy interoperable calendaring
   and scheduling services for the Internet. Current group scheduling
   and Personal Information Management (PIM) products are being extended
   for use across the Internet, today, in proprietary ways. This memo
   has been defined to provide the a definition of a common format for
   openly exchanging calendaring and scheduling information across the
   Internet.
 
   This memo is formatted as a registration for a MIME media type per
   [RFC 2048]. However, the format in this memo is equally applicable
   for use outside of a MIME message content type.
 
   The proposed media type value is ''TEXT/CALENDAR''. This string would
   label a media type containing calendaring and scheduling information
   encoded as text characters formatted in a manner outlined below.
 
   This MIME media type provides a standard content type for capturing
   calendar event and to-do information. It also can be used to convey
   free/busy time information. The content type is suitable as a MIME
   message entity that can be transferred over MIME based email systems
   or using HTTP. In addition, the content type is useful as an object    
   for interactions between desktop applications using the operating
   system clipboard, drag/drop or file systems capabilities.
 
   This memo is based on the earlier work of the vCalendar specification
   for the exchange of personal calendaring and scheduling information.
   In order to avoid confusion with this referenced work, this memo is
   to be known as the iCalendar specification. This memo is based on the
   calendaring and scheduling model defined in []. The document is also
   the basis for the calendaring and scheduling interoperability
   protocol defined in [ITIP].
 
   This memo also includes the format for defining iCalendar object
   methods. An iCalendar object method is a set of usage constraints for
   the iCalendar object. For example, these methods might define
   scheduling messages that request an event be scheduled, reply to an
   event request, send a cancellation notice for an event, modify or
   replace the definition of an event, provide a counter proposal for an
   original event request, delegate an event request to another
   individual, request free or busy time, reply to a free or busy time
   request, or provide similar scheduling messages for a to-do or
   journal entry calendar component.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-calsch-ical-04.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-calsch-ical-04.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-calsch-ical-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.