Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-asid-mime-direct-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:45:14 -0500

A Revised Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Access, Searching and Indexing of Directories Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A MIME Content-Type for Directory Information
	Author(s)	: T. Howes, M. Smith, F. Dawson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-asid-mime-direct-05.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 18-Nov-97
	
This document defines a MIME Content-Type for holding directory informa-
tion.  The definition is independent of any particular directory service
or protocol.  The text/directory Content-Type is defined for  holding  a
variety  of  directory information, for example, name, or email address,
or logo. The text/directory Content-Type can also be used  as  the  root
body  part in a multipart/related Content-Type for handling more compli-
cated situations, especially those in which non-textual information that
already  has a natural MIME representation, for example, a photograph or
sound, must be represented.
 
The text/directory Content-Type defines a general framework  and  format
for  holding  directory  information  in  a  simple  ''type: value'' form.

Mechanisms are defined to specify  alternate  languages,  encodings  and
other  meta-information.  This  document  also  defines the procedure by
which particular formats, called  profiles,  for  carrying  application-
specific information within a text/directory Content-Type may be defined
and registered, and the conventions such  formats  must  follow.  It  is
expected  that other documents will be produced that define such formats
for various applications (e.g., white pages).

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-asid-mime-direct-05.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-asid-mime-direct-05.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-asid-mime-direct-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.