Subject: Protocol Action: DHCP Options for Novell Directory Services to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:51:05 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DHCP Options for Novell
Directory Services' <draft-provan-dhcp-options-dir-serv-02.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document has been reviewed by the Dynamic
Hosts Configuration (dhc) Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Jeff Burgan.

Technical Summary

 This document defines three new DHCP options for delivering
 configuration information to clients of the Novell Directory
 Services.  The first option carries a list of NDS servers. The second
 option carries the name of the client's NDS tree. The third carries
 the initial NDS context. These three options provide an NDS client
 with enough information to connect to an NDS tree without manual
 configuration of the client.

Working Group Summary

 There was consensus within the WG that the options as defined here
 were appropriate. A question was raised during the Last Call as to
 whether it was appropriate for these options to be Standards Track,
 given that NDS is not a Standards Track protocol. The WG feels
 strongly that these options should be Standards Track. There are
 multiple vendors supporting NDS.

Protocol Quality

 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.