Subject: The Jon Postel bashing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 98 12:13:09 -0800

I'd like to join Braden's call to back off a little with the current
pastime of bashing Jon Postel.

The track record of IANA is unmatched.  The fact that the internet
works as well as it does, is not an accident.   The NYTimes article
yesterday did not not hide their surprise and astonishment that
Jon, single handedly, is IANA.                                  

The success of the internet in growing to its current dimension owes
a big debt of gratitude to IANA.  

I understand that many would like the operation of IANA to change.
Both our tradition in the internet community and the first amendment
guarantee their right to be heard.  I'm not suggesting to stifle this
discussion. 

However, the discussion will not suffer from added gratitude, respect,
and even manners.
				Respectfully,
                                                               Danny

---

From: Karl Auerbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 21:12:20 -0800 (PST)

> pastime of bashing Jon Postel.

Agreed!!!

Jon Postel is one of the great people of the internet.  I would hope that
someday when there is a Nobel (or equivaent) prize for networking, that
Jon receives it.

		--karl--

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 08:26:16 +0000

>>someday when there is a Nobel (or equivaent) prize for networking, that
 
well, ACM is not Nobel, but it wasn't foudned on dynamite profits
either:-) (ok, so it was probably mostly ordinance computing in the
early days:-(

but the ACM SIGCOMM _did_ award Jon Postel its annual award for
contributions to the community in 1997. In recognition of many of the
things that have been noted here by Bob Braden, Craig Partridge and
others.

and I certainly concur that it is not only inappropriate to heap
opprobrium on ANYONE in this discussion, it is especially
inappropriate to slander such a constructive individual.

 regards

   jon

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 06:09:15 -0500

Now THAT's a great idea.

Vint

>someday when there is a Nobel (or equivaent) prize for networking, that
=================================================================
If you are using any email address other than [email-masked],
please change your address book to use that address exclusively.

See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24,July 98 http://www.isoc.org/inet98/

http://www.mci.com/aboutyou/interests/technology/ontech/cerf.shtml

---

From: Daniel Karrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 13:11:42 +0100

I *hate* 'me too' messages but this time I *have* to send one myself:

The lack of both civil and professional courtesy in some contributions 
is appaling. While it is appaling it helps assigning the correct value 
to those contributions.

I urge anyone not familiar with Jon Postel's track record and his standing
in this community to investigate both before drawing conclusions solely
from the more vociferous people in these fora.

Daniel

---

From: Lyman Chapin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:22:36 -0500 (EST)

It's not exactly a networking Nobel, but the annual ACM SIGCOMM Award went
to Jon and Louis Pouzin in 1997, recognizing (in Jon's case) not only his
direct contributions to the Internet community (as RFC editor, IANA, and
remarkably level-headed technical contributor), but his indirect
contribution through the very large number of Internet folk who have
benefited from his guidance over several decades - Jon has made a lot of
other people look good.

SIGCOMM Award recipients are chosen by the past winners; for the 1997
Award, that group included Vint Cerf, Paul Green, David Farber, Bob Kahn,
Sandy Fraser, Leonard Kleinrock, Paul Baran, David Clark, and Hubert
Zimmerman. Not bad company.

- Lyman