Subject: Undeliverable Message

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 98 22:12:04 CST

To:            smtp[<[email-masked]>]
Cc:            
Subject:       Re: USG commerce dept vs. internet

Message not delivered to recipients below.  Press F1 for help with VNM
error codes.               

	VNM3036:  James [email-masked]@TXIRV

VNM3036 -- RETRY PERIOD EXPIRED

   If a user sends a message with an undeliverable
   address, Mail keeps trying to deliver the 
   message for a time period specified by the message
   expiration time.  If the message cannot be 
   delivered within that period, the sender receives
   a notice of undeliverable mail with this error code.

   Check the address on the message, and make any
   necessary corrections.  If the address appears to
   be correct, verify that the connections to the 
   recipient's mail service are working properly and 
   that the recipient's group still exists.

----------------------  Original Message Follows  ----------------------

Hi Rick -- There is real hope on the horizon;-)...

*********************
>From Rick H. Wesson's  message Sun, 1 Feb 1998 10:57:50 -0800 (PST):
}
}Stef,
}
}One of the biggest problems is that *everyone* wants to be
}the responsible party. IMHO, nobody realy seems to be lisening to
}eachother.
}
}i wish we could find better ways to deal with political issues
}surrounding dns, it seems like its just gona come down to
}[technicaly] who you get your .cache file from.
}
}network splits [news at 5] 
}
}-rick
}
}On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Einar Stefferud wrote:
}> 
}> So, there really is a need for some responsible party to step in and
}> help us as a self organizing community to do our self organizing
}> thing.  This is a rather difficult thing to do if the responsible
}> party (Our US Govt) must step in as a newbie and apply the wisdom of
}> Solomon while learning what the internet is all about in the first place.
*********************

Now that IAHC/POC/CORE has joined the ranks of those DNS TLD wanna-be
folk who have suffered big failures of expectations, and it is quite
clear that no single entitiy or group is going to get to grab the
Brass Ring and become Czar, it is dawning on us all that cooperation,
as I described it in my little essay, is the only game left in town.

So, I am seeing lots of safe and sane discussion these days about how
everyone now sees that cooperation without appointment of a Czar is
the right way to proceed, and so they are beginning to seriously
cooperate.

Now that we have cover for an interim period, to protect the stability
of what we have now in operation, lets just put aside our fears of
cooperation and go after that non-zero-sum opportunity that is right
there in front of us all, just waiting to be plucked.

Lets just put aside all the crap that we have thrown at each other
during the last 2 years, and settle into solving the problems.

There was no crisis, and there still is no crisis, other than that of
a string of failed expectations.  Yes, some people may be frustrated
by not being able to get the DNS name of their choice, but that is not
exactly a crisis.  No one is actually faced with not getting any name
at all.  The DNS system is remarkably robust, as proven by various
recent events, and all we need is a measure of sanity to go forward
from here.

So, I seriously challenge that everyone "wants to be the repsonsible
party" anymore, though if you are looking at things through
IAHC/POC/CORE colored glasses, you might still be blinded by that
shining light.  The rest of us are just waiting for IAHC/POC/CORE to
join the ranks of those of us who are cooperating.

Cheers...\Stef