Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-eastlake-weak-ato-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:26:14 -0500

A Revised Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Weak Authentication and Tracing Option
	Author(s)	: D. Eastlake
	Filename	: draft-eastlake-weak-ato-03.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 25-Feb-98
	
   The packet switched nature of the Internet Protocol (IP) provides no
   inherent method to assure that a packet has been issued with a source
   address authorized for the sender and no inherent method to trace the
   actual source of a packet.  These characteristics make it difficult
   to take effective action concerning injurious packets which may have
   originated, by accident or maliciously, virtually anywhere in the
   Internet.
 
   A lightweight IP level option is proposed that provides (1) some
   assurance that packet's source addresses are authorized for their
   sender, and (2) limited statistical tracing information such that, if
   many bad packets are logged, the path to their source will be
   revealed.
 
   These features, even if not implemented throughout the Internet,
   would provide significantly improved protection against packet level
   abuse.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-eastlake-weak-ato-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-weak-ato-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-weak-ato-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.