Subject: CORE Formed!

From: "Rick H. Wesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 00:45:32 -0800 (PST)

CREATION OF CORE

The internet domain name system (DNS) is the system that assigns names to
services on the Internet.  It is an essential component of the Internet
and, because of that, it is essential to protect the interests of current
and future Internet users.  DNS names need to be created, managed and
administered in a fair, stable systematic and equitable method.

The growth of the Internet is creating a need for enhanced DNS assignment
and management procedures. This raises significant public policy issues
such as equitable allocation of an international resource, trademark
issues, and promotion of a system designed to deliver optimal consumer
protection.

An in depth consultation with the Internet users, International agencies
such as the ITU (International Telecommunications Union), and the current
agencies responsible for the Internet administration has resulted in a
legal document titled  gTLD-MoU.  This document creates a legal entity
known as CORE (Council of Registrars) that is charged with the new enhanced
administration and management of DNS.  CORE is composed of competing
registrars that provide the public with a choice on how to access the DNS
resources.  CORE works with a Policy Oversight Committee that includes the
public and private entities whose consultation created the gTLD-MoU.

At today's meeting, the membership of CORE elected an executive committee,
discussed the formation of working groups, and, by  formalizing the
creation of CORE, started a new era for the naming of sites on the Internet.

The new gTLDs are .rec, .arts, .info, .shop, .nom, .web, .firm .
The executive committee consists of the following individuals:
	Alan Hanson, Chair (USA)
	Trevor Hales, Vice Chair (Australia)
	Robert Connelly (Japan)
	Leni Mayo (Australia)
	Ivan Pope (UK)
	Siegfried Langenbach (Germany)
	Werner Staub (Switzerland)