Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-adams-notary-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:19:22 -0500

A Revised Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Notary Protocols
	Author(s)	: C. Adams, R. Zuccherato
	Filename	: draft-adams-notary-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 27-Feb-98
	
This document describes a general notary service and the protocols to
be used when communicating with it.  The Notary Authority is a Trusted
Third Party (TTP) that can be used as one component in building reliable
non-repudiation services (see [ISONR]).  Useful Notary Authority
responsibilities in a PKI are to validate signatures and to provide up-
to-date information regarding the status of certificates.  We give
examples of how to use the notary to extend the lifetime of a signature
beyond key expiry or revocation and to query the notary regarding the
status of a certificate.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-adams-notary-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-adams-notary-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-adams-notary-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.