Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-2000-issue-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 14:26:36 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the The Internet and the Millennium Problem 
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Internet and the Millenium Problem (Year 2000)
	Author(s)	: P. Nesser II
	Filename	: draft-ietf-2000-issue-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 02-Dec-97
	
The Year 2000 Working Group(WG) has conducted an investigation into
the millenium problem as it regards Internet related protocols.
This investigation only targeted the protocols as documented in the
Request For Comments Series (RFCs).  This investigation discovered
little reason for concern with regards to the functionality of the
protocols.  A few minor cases of older implementations still using
two digit years (ala RFC 850) were discovered, but almost all
Internet protocols were given a clean bill of health.  Several cases
of ''period'' problems were discussed where a time field would ''roll
over'' as the size of field was reached.  In particular, there are
several protocols, which have 32 bit, signed integer representations
of the number of seconds since January 1, 1970 which will turn
negative at Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 GMT 2038.  Areas whose protocols
will be effected by such problems have been notified so that new
revisions will remove this limitation.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-2000-issue-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-2000-issue-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-2000-issue-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.