Subject: Gates ReDefines the meaning of DNS...

From: Einar Stefferud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 12:25:10 -0800

It seems to me that someone at MS might want to say a few words to
Bill Gates about how this shows at least one of two things:

1.  That Bill is is not well informed about the Internet, especially
	after the last two years of hell that we have gone through; or

2.  He appears to not give a damn about prior use of Acronyms of great
	significance in his main target market;-)...

Question: Will the Internet need to get a usage license for our long
exisiting Domain Name System when MS Trademarks "DNS"?  I am reminded
of all those "Bob" jokes of old...

I hope that this is a useful channel with which to reach MS people
who care;-)...

Cheers...\Stef

------- Forwarded Message

Subject: Bill Gates on DNS
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 14:01:27 -0500

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
This is real, it is unaltered and directly from Reuters.

============================================================

Microsoft's Gates sets new networking term

    HELSINKI, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Microsoft chairman Bill Gates on
Thursday introduced a new term -- the digital nervous system
(DNS) -- for networks of personal computers.
    "The DNS means using PCs together with Internet standards to
create an environment of easy information access to replace
current information tools," Gates said according to a summary of
a speech at a seminar in the city of Espoo in southern Finland.
    The speech was made available by Microsoft's Finnish unit.
    The DNS networking solution could replace telephone calls,
paper and databases on lage computers where information is hard
to browse. It could offer significant business value by
enhancing the way a company shares information, he said.
    "Its most important benefit is the ability to navigate the
information and see patterns, and be able to send mail messages
to colleagues to share the information and get comments, all
this contributing to a more efficient mode of making decisions,"
Gates said.
    The DNS should be designed to draw together data from many
sources, giving the users a better ability to react effectively
to unplanned events, he said, adding that areas especially
suited for DNS solutions were customer account information,
project management, sales budgeting and marketing events.
    Gates said Microsoft was working with other software
developers like SAP (FSE:SAPG) and BAAN (AMS:BAAN) to ensure the
DNS system's functionality in packaged or customised applications.
    Microsoft's earlier vision of 'a computer on every desk'
could be rephrased as 'a computer in every pocket'.
    "Microsoft's vision for PCs five years from now is a
wireless device you can carry around... you can connect this
tablet-size PC to the wireless network and get access to the
information of your choice," Gates said.
[email-masked]))

 Copyright 1998, Reuters News Service

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 11:24:56 -0500

> (DNS) -- for networks of personal computers.

Umm.. was this before or after the cream pie?
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech