Subject: IANA Transition Advisors Group

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:55:06 -0800

======================================================================

Announcement of ITAG
--------------------

A key event in the next few months will be the transition of the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) from a US Government funded
activity to an openly governed, privately funded not-for-profit
activity. To guide him through this transition, the Director of the
IANA, Dr. Jon Postel, has requested advice from a few individuals with
experience in the Internet and the international arena. Since the IANA
operates in cooperation with the Internet Architecture Board (IAB),
the formation of this advisory group was jointly announced by Jon and
by Brian Carpenter, Chair of the IAB on February 11, 1998:

	The Chair of the Internet Architecture Board (IAB), Brian
	Carpenter, and the Director of the Internet Assigned Numbers
	Authority (IANA), Jon Postel, jointly announce the formation
	of the "IANA Transition Advisors Group" (ITAG).

	The ITAG will serve as a set of senior advisors to the IANA
	during the transition to a new organization with formal status
	as a non-profit corporation with a board of directors.  This
	group will cease to exist when the board of directors of the
	new organization has its first meeting.  The members of the
	ITAG have declared themselves as not candidates for the
	initial IANA board.

	The ITAG will consist of 6 members.  The initial members(*) are:

		Randy Bush 	- Verio
		Brian Carpenter	- IBM UK
		Dave Farber 	- U Penn
		Geoff Huston	- Telstra
		John Klensin 	- MCI
		Steve Wolff 	- Cisco

	* organization affiliation for identification purposes only.

The initial task of the ITAG is to assist Jon in drawing up draft
statutes for the new, not-for-profit, IANA organization, with
particular attention to its open, international governance.  This is
why the ITAG members have disqualified themselves from membership of
the initial Board of the new organization. They will also advise Dr
Postel on any other critical issues concerning the transition to the
new organization.

The ITAG members were invited on a personal basis by Jon, and do not
officially represent anyone except themselves.  They all have
significant experience of the international aspects of the Internet.
Their geographical distribution (four in the US, one in Europe and one
on the Pacific Rim) loosely reflects that of the Internet itself.
However, the ITAG makes no claim to authority and will act exclusively
in an advisory capacity.

======================================================================

---

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 15:23:08 -0600

On Monday, February 23, 1998 2:55 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
<snip>
@However, the ITAG makes no claim to authority and will act exclusively
@in an advisory capacity.
@

If people recall, the IAHC was formed to only "advise" the IANA.
...it sort of went beyond that role...

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI