Subject: Protocol Action: Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP-4 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:54:16 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "Multiprotocol Extensions for
BGP-4" <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-multiprotocol-02.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons is Joel Halpern.

Technical Summary
 
 The Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP-4 allow BGP-4 to be used for
 routing reachability information for protocols other than IPv4.  It
 can be used to carry IPv6 information, and even information for other
 internetworking protocols.  The extensions also allow for the clear
 handling of multicast RPF Information as a separate set of information
 from the unicast case.

Working Group Summary

 The working group strongly supports this work as the solution to the
 need for multiprotocol support in BGP-4.  Other solutions were
 discussed and considered, and it was concluded clearly that this was
 the best available answer.

Protocol Quality

 This specification has been reviewed by Joel M. Halpern, the Routing
 Area Director, and is a sound protocol specification. There are
 multiple  implementations of this protocol for supporting IPv6, as
 well as at least one  for IPv4 multicast.

Note to RFC Editor: 

The following text should appended to Section 7 of the document:

     Subsequent Address Family Identifiers (other than those reserved for
     vendor specific use) are assigned only by the IETF consensus process and
     IESG approval.