Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-telnet-sasl-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:43:06 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Using SASL and GSSAPI with Telnet
	Author(s)	: C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-telnet-sasl-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 27-Jan-98
	
     Telnet has its own custom authentication negotiation framework
     defined in ''Telnet Authentication Option'' [TELNET-AUTH].  This has
     primarily been used for Kerberos v4 [TELNET-KRB], but is largely
     unused otherwise as there is only limited development of telnet
     products and protocols.  It is desirable to have telnet leverage
     development of new security services for new protocols.  Therefore,
     future use of the Telnet authentication option is deprecated in
     favor of a new SASL [SASL] authentication option suitable for use
     with SASL and GSSAPI [GSSAPI] mechanisms.  This service can
     complement use of TLS with Telnet [TELNET-TLS].
 
     [NOTE: This proposal is in response to a request by the TN3270e WG
     to have SASL or GSSAPI available when TLS is too heavy-weight.  I
     will not request a telnet option number for this until there is
     rough concensus that it is a good idea.  Public discussion of this
     mechanism may take place on the [email-masked] mailing list
     with a subscription address of [email-masked].  Private
     comments may be sent to the author].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-telnet-sasl-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-newman-telnet-sasl-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-telnet-sasl-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.