Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-baer-listspec-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:19:26 -0500

A Revised Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.

	Title		: The Use of URLs as Meta-Syntax for 
                          Core Mail List Commands and their Transport 
                          through Message Header Fields
	Author(s)	: J. Baer, G. Neufeld
	Filename	: draft-baer-listspec-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 27-Feb-98
	
   The mailing list command specification header fields are a set of
   structured fields to be added to email messages sent by email
   distribution lists. Each field typically contains a URL (usually
   mailto [mailto]) locating the relevant information or performing the
   command directly. The three core header fields described in this
   document are List-Help, List-Subscribe, and List-Unsubscribe.
 
   There are three other header fields described here which, although
   not as widely applicable, will have utility for a sufficient number
   of mailing lists to justify their formalization here. These are
   List-Post, List-Owner and List-Archive.
 
   By including these header fields, list servers can make it possible
   for mail clients to provide automated tools for users to perform list
   functions. This could take the form of a menu item, push button,
   or other user interface element. The intent is to simplify the user
   experience, providing a common interface to the often cryptic and
   varied mailing list manager commands.

   The key words ''MUST'', ''MUST NOT'', ''REQUIRED'', ''SHALL'', ''SHALL NOT'',
   ''SHOULD'', ''SHOULD NOT'', ''RECOMMENDED'',  ''MAY'', and ''OPTIONAL'' in
   this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-baer-listspec-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-baer-listspec-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-baer-listspec-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.