Subject: Re: IETF Wireless

From: "Roger Fajman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 16:58:28 -0400 (EDT)

> There's a good chance I may be able to persuade Apple to donate a bunch
> of 11Mb/s IEEE 802.11 Wireless/Ethernet bridges (the things we call
> "AirPort") to IETF, on a permanent basis, for the meetings.
>
> Any interest? How many would we want? A couple for the terminal room and
> one each per meeting room?
>
> These are absolutely standard 11Mb/s IEEE 802.11DS base stations, not
> some proprietary Apple thing. PC users can get 802.11DS cards from
> companies like Lucent: <http://www.wavelan.com/>

Is there a way to turn off the NAT in the AirPort access points?  We've
had trouble here with PCs using them because the NAT implementation
doesn't handle NETBIOS.  Also, given the general dislike of many people
in the IETF for NAT, it may not be something that the IETF wants to use
itself.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 18:50:12 -0400

> Is there a way to turn off the NAT in the AirPort access points? 

if not, seems like that would be a showstopper.

---

From: "Derrell D. Piper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 16:11:29 -0700

> Is there a way to turn off the NAT in the AirPort access points? 

Yes, there is.

Derrell

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 17:49:22 -0700

> if not, seems like that would be a showstopper.

actually it might be a feature to torture the anti-nat bigots

---

From: Jon Malis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 09:37:00 -0400

I Think That I Wrote In An eMail At 7:08 PM -0400 of 5/26/00:

>I Think That Roger Fajman Wrote In An eMail At 4:58 PM -0400 of 5/26/00:
>>
>>We've had trouble here with PCs using them because the NAT implementation
>Except for getting a Mac with an AirPort card to setup up the thing 
>properly, you're more or less out of luck.  I know that there's a 
>Java-based admin tool, but I don't think it goes that deep into the 
>config settings, nor do I remember the URL off the top of my head

I lied - you can change most all settings with the Java Applet and I 
found the Web address for it: 
http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/

For more info about extending the antenna, try: 
http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/extendaport/index.html

--jon

Jon Malis
Independent Network Consultant
Malis Consulting
[email-masked], [email-masked], AIM: JonMalis
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"640KB is enough for anybody"            -Bill Gates

PGP Fingerprint: B32E 4B26 A2BC CF38 B56B  C518 1179 DE90 1477 00E9
PGP Key ID: 0x147700E9

---

From: Jon Malis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 09:36:21 -0400

>Is there a way to turn off the NAT in the AirPort access points?

Yep, I have set up a lot of them as plain wireless bridges with no IP 
address assigning, as well as using its built-in DHCP server

--jon

Jon Malis