Subject: device upload update

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 20:35:09 -0700 (PDT)

The device upload petition at:

  http://www.bovik.org/devup-petition

Has been updated with a message from Tim Berners-Lee:

  http://www.bovik.org/devup-petition/tbl-devup.txt

For the record, I fully support device upload without the DEVICE 
attribute.  It is so much better than nothing that the incremental 
benefits of my device upload proposal are no more than miniscule 
by comparison.

Evidently, the California Attorney General was gracious enough to 
voice these concerns during some of the recent antitrust remedy 
conferences.  A lot of people sent Dr. Berners-Lee's comments in 
to the A.G., for which they deserve our thanks.  However, Microsoft 
has been objecting that some things in the proposed remedy were not 
raised at trial.  I doubt that late evidence will have much effect 
on what the judge can order pending appeal, but I hope anyone 
reading this with any influence in the matter will do what needs 
to be done to keep Microsoft from their strangle-hold on audio 
upload plug-ins.  If MSIE were to implement microphone upload, as 
described by the Director of the W3C, I have no doubt that the 
other browser manufacturers would quickly follow.

The project to add the feature to Mozilla:
  http://www.sourcexchange.com/WishDetail?wishID=227
is progressing slowly due in part to the effects of the Gecko 
re-write.  I invite anyone to take a crack at it.  Relevant code 
excerpts are available from SourceXchange by clicking on the 
"View Comments" button from the link above.  And of course all 
the current annotated source code is available from www.mozilla.org.

Cheers,
James