Subject: RE: VIRUS WARNING

From: Lillian Komlossy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:13:08 -0400

Scot,

While what you say is true - meaning an all-text restriction on your email
browser will prevent
"dangerous goods" to be downloaded - it also takes away functionality. We
have to find a way to
be able to use html based email but restrict it from - say running scripts,
executing anything,
writing cookies, issuing queries, etc... Until that happens, you're right -
html based email
is like a runaway train. We have to invent the "brakes" now.

Lillian Komlossy                     
Site Manager                         
http://www.dmnews.com           
http://www.imarketingnews.com  
(212) 925-7300 ext. 232 

>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Scot Mc Pherson [mailto:[email-masked]]
>>Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 10:07 AM
>>To: [email-masked]; 'Castro, Edison M. (PCA)'
>>Cc: 'Steven M. Bellovin'; [email-masked]; 'Brant Knudson'; [email-masked]
>>Subject: RE: VIRUS WARNING 
>>
>>
>>I believe the one of the most important holes is html based mail, because
>>the e-mail is processed as a webpage which can be used to download
>>undesirable content. If you configure your e-mail browser to display all
>>messages as text you will close this hole...You will notice my e-mails are
>>nearly 100% text
>>
>>Scot

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 12:16:50 -0400

Lillian Komlossy wrote:

> We
> writing cookies, issuing queries, etc...

So turn off JavaScript for mail messages.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |But this one goes to 11x.                    |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/

---

From: "Scot Mc Pherson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 13:59:19 -0400

Lillian,
	I am not so sure I totally agree. Why exactly do we need HTML based
e-mail...Is it really necessary? E-mail is a service for transmitting a
written message, and written messages certainly don't require background
graphics or a full blown graphically based webpage.

	There are a few reasons why I believe this, one of the most compelling IMHO
is that graphic content in e-mails increases the size of the e-mail
exponentially, thus greatly contributing to the packet congestion already
extremely evident on the Internet today. I realize that we are developing
new technologies all the time that increase bandwidth, but I think its
terribly inefficient, and dangerous.

	There is no practical need for html e-mail. It like saying I want to use a
tractor trailer to commute to work everyday, but it needs to consume only as
much gas as an eco car, and go as fast a Ferrari.

Scot

-----Original Message-----
From: Lillian Komlossy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 11:13 AM
To: 'Scot Mc Pherson'
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: VIRUS WARNING

Scot,

Lillian Komlossy
Site Manager
http://www.dmnews.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 14:07:21 -0400

> much gas as an eco car, and go as fast a Ferrari.

If the computer industry advanced as fast as the automotive industry, we'd
now have computers that run at 5400RPM instead of the old slow 3600RPM drum
memories, they'd consume only 90 kilowatts of power instead of 150..

Wait.. I got that quote backwards, didn't I? ;)

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech