Subject: FW: MPLS and IS-IS

From: David Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:49:21 -0500

Hi all,

IS-IS is defined to work with CLNP not for IP originally. Until today a lot
of SONET and telecommunication equipment vendors still use IS-IS to route
CLNP packets through the SONET Data communication channel(DCC) to carry
management information and there is a great pressure to change this to OSPF
and IP. I also know that UUNET runs IS-IS on their network. I never heard
any other networks run IS-IS. Seems I am wrong. My questions are.

1. You guys are talking about using IS-IS in a IP networks not in CLNP
networks. The IS-IS has been modified according to RFC 1195 (Use of OSI
IS-IS for Routing in TCP/IP and Dual Environments) or some other standard.
Is this correct? 

2.  Besides UUNET, which ISPs run IS-IS protocol? Can you name a few? or
what percentage of networks run IS-IS instead of OSPF?

Thanks
David

-----Original Message-----
From: HANSEN CHAN [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 7:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MPLS and IS-IS

Hi all,

I have been hearing IS-IS is a better protocol to be used than OSPF in a
MPLS
network for TE application. Is that a fair statement? What are the technical
reasons?

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks,
Hansen

---

From: "Andre Dieball" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:27:05 +0200

Hi

> what percentage of networks run IS-IS instead of OSPF?

MobilCOM City LINE, on IP and ATM

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Yours faithfully 

Andre Dieball
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MobilCOM City LINE GmbH
WAN Switching				phone: +49 4331 69-1229
Hollerstr. 126				fax:   +49 4331 69-2260
24782 Buedelsdorf			email: [email-masked]
GERMANY					http://www.mobilcom.de
PGP: 540E 4D84 C070 811C  2F49 3799 7E17 77EB
----------------------------------------------------------------------