Subject: RE: Universal & Permanent e-mail address

From: Erkki Kolehmainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:45:37 +0200

Dear Mr Vidal,

Since you happened to use helsinky.fi (erroneously for helsinki) in your
example, I decided to inform you of the service for permanent e-mail
addresses that we have in Finland, provided by IKI, The Internet Users
Forever, a not-for-profit association.

The following is an extract from their web pages at http://www.iki.fi.

English summary: The Internet Users Forever IKI is a society that provides
its members, private individuals in Finland, permanent iki.fi-addresses with
e-mail and WWW forwarding services (IKI does not host the web pages, it just
forwards the addresses). This allows our members to keep the same personal
identity should the actual location or ISP of their e-mail or www homepages
change. 

Thus, I have a permanent incoming (home) e-mail address at iki.fi, although
my ISP is currently kolumbus.fi (which is also shown on all outgoing traffic
from my home). The system works.

Best regards, EIK
__________________________________________
Erkki I. Kolehmainen
TIEKE Tietotekniikan kehittämiskeskus ry
TIEKE Finnish Information Technology Development Centre 
Salomonkatu 17 A, 10th floor, FIN-00100 HELSINKI, FINLAND
Phone: +358 9 4763 0301, Fax: +358 9 4763 0399
http://www.tieke.fi    [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Salvador Vidal [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 1:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Universal & Permanent e-mail address

Hello Zheng,

At 10:03 21/05/00 +0800, you wrote:
>I want to ask him some questions. 
>thank you very much!
>
>
In order to have an universal and permanent e-mail address system wich
allow us to:
No need to know wich is his current ISP.
Less unusefull trafic as we avoid mistakes when somebody changes his ISP.
Not need to check searches engines probabily not updated.
Reduction of ISP change barriers so introduce more competitivity on the
sector then better services and/or lowers prices.
...
And the main reason: not to have more mesages from you asking for your
friends at this list ;-) 

Which do you think will be the better solution?:
-Something like postal address, which let us to send e-mails to a person
just knowing i.e. their name and the city in wich he lives, i.e.:
[email-masked] 
(Of course we will need more if there are more than one Scott Shenker at
this city, and some kind of redirect way when he changes his residence city)

-That the users become the owners of their e-mail address, and the ISP have
to redirect the message to the current ISP of Scott.

-Other...

Best Regards,
Salva