Subject: RE: Should IETF do more to fight computer crime?

From: "Dawson, Peter D" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 18:27:41 -0000

>Jacob Palme <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> But would not better logg production in routers be an aid
>> in finding the villain behind computer crimes?
>
>What type of logging do you propose?  It seems that the types 
>of logging
>that are already done enable people to trace the origins of suspicious
>traffic.
>
>--gregbo

True, but only the origin of packets are determined. What is needed is
a code of ethics between ISPs , to share information.
i.e once a packet leaves isp1 cloud and travels across isp2 cloud,
very rarely would isp1 be willing to disclose to isp2,...
which (user) is leased that specific dynamic ip address.

btw, this info would be required on the fly... so that net admin/sec
would be in a better position to pinpoint the perpetrator's habits/ 
physiological profile etc..

/pd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:10:18 -0400

> which (user) is leased that specific dynamic ip address.

Note that many providers may be legally bound to not give any more
information than "Yeah, that's one of our IP addresses".  I know we
have a lot of issues regarding privacy laws due to the fact that we're
an agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  If we find that one of our
students has been naughty, about all we can say to people outside is
that we're aware of it and that action is being taken as per our procedures.
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech