Subject: RE: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

From: "Jim Stephenson-Dunn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:39:26 -0700

I like it, Where do I sign up for my IETF black suit and sun glasses, and
can I nominate my own parking spot in advance ?

The real kicker here would be to upgrade everybody's stacks to v6 and still
fool them into believing they are running v4. The noisy cricket I can do
without (although I can thick of a few admins to use this on, who are not
doing their BGP the way they should) , but the neuralizer is a must ;->

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 2:11 AM
To: Tripp Lilley
Cc: Keith Moore; Greg Skinner; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

Tripp Lilley wrote:

> We came up with a wacky idea here yesterday at Interop... Why not
> accelerate v6 deployment by writing a virus that will upgrade
> end-stations' stacks? :)

Even better, why doesn't the IETF employ a bunch of people dressed in
black suits and wearing sun glasses to go around and 'enforce' IPv6...
not as subtle I know, but administrators have this stupid habit of
deleting viruses once they know what's going on, in the foolish belief
that they know what is best! Pah!

By sending a bunch of heavies around various Network Operations and Data
Operations Centers, we can ensure the quickest possible roll-out of IPv6
under the threat of 'Big Billy' getting 'a bit wild with the baseball
bat, right?' sort-of-thing. I'm sure over here in the UK we can
contribute a few East-London types to help everything along nicely...

> That will give us the pervasive deployment needed to convince the ISPs to
> upgrade the core. The "upgrade" that the virus propagates can do
> gratuitous tunneling until it discovers that the infrastructure between it
> and the rest of the world has been upgraded.

Indeed, your solution would get right down to the end user ultimately,
which our lads would not be able to do necessarily, but if your ISP
phoned you up and told you that you had to upgrade to IPv6 'or else' you
would, wouldn't you?

This would also help us in gaining all sorts of blackmail material about
various administrators and senior managment of various ISPs used to put
a little pressure on them, but would also give the IETF an additional
revenue stream, and could potnetially ensure that even Microsoft started
following the 'standard line'...

> (yes, any such toy would need to include a raft of known exploits for
> various Unices, so we can include them in the "upgrade") :)

No! We don't want to fix the holes! We want to keep a record of them
without telling the admins, and when they misbehave, not only can we pop
their kneecaps, set fire to their house, release information to their
families they wouldn't want to be released, but also as a grand finale,
we can take control of the machine and do what we wanted anyway.
Eventually, we as the IETF would have complete control of every machine
connected to the Internet, thereby giving us control of the entire
planet, which in turn would allow us to park wherever we wanted and
*not*get*a*ticket*!!!!!! :-)

--
Paul Robinson - Developer/Sys Admin @ Akitanet http://www.akitanet.co.uk
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sales: T:+44 (0)1869 337088  F:+44 (0)1869 337488 E:[email-masked]
Techs: T:+44 (0)161 228 6388 F:+44 (0)161 228 6387 E:[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 05:56:00 -0400

>*not*get*a*ticket*!!!!!! :-)

Dang! Jim's gone and uncovered my nefarious retirement plan. Now I'll
have to think of something else :-(

Jim, you left out the "Nyah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" part...

vint

p.s. apologies to IETF list for cluttering with this. It just slipped out.
=================================================================
I moved to a new MCI WorldCom facility on Nov 11, 1999

MCI WorldCom
22001 Loudoun County Parkway
Building F2, Room 4115, ATTN: Vint Cerf
Ashburn, VA 20147
Telephone (703) 886-1690
FAX (703) 886-0047

"INTERNET IS FOR EVERYONE!" 
See you at INET2000, Yokohama, Japan July 18-21, 2000
http://www.isoc.org/inet2000