Subject: Wireless LAN experiences from the IETF meetings?

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 14:12:28 -0700

Hello,

We are investigating the deployment of a wireless LAN infrastructure
(IEEE 802.11) for our building and were hoping to tap into past
experiences from wireless LAN deployments at the IETF meetings. Are
there any documents online that present "guidelines" for deployment
of wireless LANs at the IETF meetings? Alternatively, can anyone
recommend other documents which might help get us started - especially
along the lines of strategic deployment of IEEE 802.11 access points?

Fred Templin
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 21:17:46 +0930

I'm not aware of any such documents. The problem with the IETF is that
every venue is different with it's own properties. For example we were
told that the Adelaide Convention Centre was relatively radio
transparent but when we got there and the inter Hall walls were put in
place we found that they weren't. This meant that the original plan
was out the window and it was back to mapping the venue as the AP's
were installed (together with installing more APs, including one in
each of the large halls which wasn't in the original plan).

I think you really need to borrow some kit and find out what your
environment is like.

Mark.

---

From: Anders Lund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 14:44:43 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 9 May 2000, "Fred" == Fred L. Templin wrote:

  Fred> We are investigating the deployment of a wireless LAN
  Fred> infrastructure (IEEE 802.11) for our building and were hoping
  Fred> to tap into past experiences from wireless LAN deployments
  Fred> at the IETF meetings.  Are there any documents online that
  Fred> present "guidelines" for deployment of wireless LANs at the IETF
  Fred> meetings?

Some old information about the wireless network at the 45th IETF in Oslo 
last summer at:

	http://www.uninett.no/ietf45/wlan/

Regards
 Anders

--
 Anders Lund <[email-masked]>
 UNINETT A/S, N-7465 Trondheim, Norway
 Tlf: +47 73 55 79 08 | Fax: +47 73 55 79 01

---

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 10:31:16 -0700

Many thanks to all who have replied to my inquiry regarding
Wireless LAN experiences from the IETF meetings. The responses
have been very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]