Subject: RE: Heard at the IETF

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:15:52 -0400

At 07:58 PM 8/2/00 +0000, Dawson, Peter D wrote:
>->And of course, security folks want the buildings to be
>->O(2^1024) floors
>->high, so that we can see some *useful* primes...
>->
>->              --Steve Bellovin
>
>of course, using the floor factors , as indicated...
>this will eliminate all possibilities of hackers getting
>into the elevator system.. correct ?

no, they'll get into the elevator. This prevents them ever getting out 
again, as they will never be able to figure out what flaw is to exploit.

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:21:31 -0500

Also heard at the IETF: In the plenary session the chair
denied the existence of Ireland.

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 02:24:05 +0800

One after thoughts of IETF.

It would really really be cool if the Pub/Cafe is also on 802.11.

(Wait, that will means everyone will stay whole day at the pub then to
attend _some_ WG for their 802.11)

-James Seng

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 00:07:54 -0400

>denied the existence of Ireland.

News to me. Care to give me the context?

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 08:41:16 -0400

> attend _some_ WG for their 802.11)

"Can I get a hum on whether there are snakes under my chair?"

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"Chris is the most self-effacing guy I know."|
[email-masked]|"Well, I'm not *that* good at it."           |
\==============================================================/

---

From: Andrew Rutherford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 23:27:04 +0930

>News to me. Care to give me the context?

I believe Matt's referring to the comment that there is one English 
speaking nation in the European Union.

Well, it wasn't necessarily Ireland. It might have been the UK. :-)

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:54:16 -0700 (PDT)

> attend _some_ WG for their 802.11)

A couple of people mentioned to me that the availability of 802.11
connectivity (and presumably the wired connections in the meeting rooms
too) encouraged them to hang around listening at WG sessions they would,
in previous years, have departed from to do their email.  I think this is
a good thing.  (I suppose this would argue for having beer in the meeting
rooms too, though.)

We all, though, have to learn the essential modern survival skills of (1)
paying attention to what's going on even while working on
Internet-connected device, and (2) understanding that the person sitting
there doing their email really is listening to you even though it doesn't
look like it.

 - RL "Bob"

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 07:24:01 -0400

>Well, it wasn't necessarily Ireland. It might have been the UK. :-)

Probably. Apologies to the folks in Ireland. I won't apologize to the 
leprechauns, though- they speak Gaelic.