Subject: Re: Sequentially assigned IP addresses--why not?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:41:42 -0500

"Rakers, Jason" wrote:
> 
>         This is some sort of urban legend. If a routeable prefix was given
> to
>         every human, using a predicted world population of 11 billion, we
> would
>         consume about 0.004% of the total IPv6 address space.
> 
> ....that's what they said about never needing more than 640kb of memory in a
> computer......
> we'll never need more than that!

Please think very carefully about the orders of magnitude involved here. The
two cases are not comparable.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sean Doran)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 20:12:26 +0200 (CEST)

Fred Baker asks:

| When I build a telephone out of an IP dialler attached to 
| someone's waist, a modulator on their necklace, and an earphone attached to 
| their earring, all connected by IP on BlueTooth, what addresses do I put on 
| the different components of the telephone?

RFC-1918 for all but one "outside" address on the component which does NAT.

Note that the "outside" address may also be an RFC-1918 address, and ideally
should be gotten automatically via DHCP.

Better question: what are the DNS names of the components, and how
are they published to the "outside" world?

	Sean.