Subject: pay for using MPEG-4 standard

From: Jitendra Goel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 07:33:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I came to know from one of my colleague that if 
companies follows MPEG-4 standards during
implementations then they have to pay royalty to
*MPEG-4 Standardizing Committee* just because
they are following the MPEG-4 standards.

e.g. Supposing a company "A Corp" comes up with
MPEG-4 solutions ( player/authoring tool/server ...)
that are fully compliant with MPEG-4 standards.
Does it mean, it needs to pay anything to MPEG-4 
committee just because its products are MPEG-4 
standard compilant.

your comments are most welcome.

J

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites.
http://invites.yahoo.com/

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:03:31 -0400

>your comments are most welcome.

The MPEG-4 standard - like most other audio/video coding standards -
includes a number of features which are covered by patents and other 
IPR. It is likely that you will have to obtain a license to use that 
IPR before using (certain features of) the standard, and this might 
involve payment of royalties. You can find more information at:
	http://www.cselt.it/mpeg/	MPEG home page
	http://www.m4if.org/		MPEG-4 industry forum

To make this discussion relevent to the IETF, I note that the audio/video
transport working group has not been notified of any IPR on the proposed
RTP payload formats for MPEG-4 media. Since this discussion includes the
joint MPEG/IETF mailing list developing such formats, I remind people that
section 10 of RFC 2026 discusses the requirements for IPR disclosure when
working on IETF standards.

Colin Perkins
IETF AVT co-chair