Subject: Re: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 08:15:42 -0700

Dennis,

>I run my business out of my home and my DSL link is an important part of
>my business. About six months ago my ISP started charging me a $20/mo. fee
>for my /27 because "ARIN is now charging us." I am unhappy about this fee
>but I understand its motivation -- conversation of IP space, though I

 From the ARIN web site I found that the minimum allocation is a /20 and 
the fee for that is $2,500/year ( 
http://www.arin.net/regserv/feeschedule.html ).  Larger allocations have 
higher charges but the price per address goes down quickly.  I would think 
that most ISP have larger allocations than a /20.
A /20 provides 128 /27 address blocks.  That works out to $19.53/year per 
/27.  You said that your ISP is charging you $20. per month.  Not a bad 
markup!  Interesting what happens when rationing starts.

>Nonetheless, with IPv6, I naively hoped, until last night, the
>conservation of space issues would go away, and thus the fees. Big duh!

The IPv6 address blocks allocated by ARIN are much much larger, so the 
price per address for an ISP is considerably lower.

Bob

---

From: "Anthony Atkielski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:41:06 +0200

> The IPv6 address blocks allocated by ARIN are much
> much larger, so the price per address for an ISP
> is considerably lower.

And IPv6 will be exhausted just as quickly or more quickly than IPv4 in
consequence.

Doesn't anyone ever learn?  The same mistakes are being made over and over.
There's no point in going to IPv6 if blocks of wasted addresses will be
increased in size to go along with it.  You just end up in the same boat,
with no addresses left.