Subject: Re: more on IPv6 address space exhaustion

From: [email-masked] (Sean Doran)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:01:49 +0200 (CEST)

Andy -

| This could be done in the case of Country/region code TLDs under the 
| control of the individual registries. It couldn't be done fairly the case 
| of the 'international' TLDs such as .COM .NET and .ORG or any new 
| non-country/region specific names because no two countries would agree on 
| the interpretation of the guidelines.

Yes, the DNS is the wrong tool in which to do ".kids"-like things
because multihoming in the DNS is an administrative headache.

| The same is true of picking address pairs for 'kid safe' connections. The 
| criteria for acceptable systems can only be based on the national laws and 
| network addresses allocated to each country concerned.  

Ah, but you see, the IPv6 way of multihoming is significantly different;
when a site multihomes its border router acquires automatically the TLA/NLA
information of the new provider, and subsequently instructs autoconfiguring
hosts to use addresses in this new space.   

So, the site in which we locate "www.disney.com" merely needs
a logical connection to each of the "kid-safe" spaces it is allowed
to live within.  (It can also announce subnets of each such kid-safe space).

| This means that the 
| administrator of a system in China may decide that the Australian 
| definition of 'Children safe' was OK but would block the networks in France 
| and the UK.

But since a DNS search on "www.disney.com" likely would result
in a "Children Safe in China" address, this should be no problem at all!

See, IPv6 is intellgently designed so that multihoming adds addresses
to the hosts, so that host-pairs can do policy-based routing themselves.

	Sean.

---

From: James Corning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:43:55 -0800

I have a brilliant idea.  Instead of letting politicians play with IPv6
assignments, let's give them MAC addresses to play with instead.  Companies
could designate certain pieces of hardware as "naughty" as it comes off the
mfg line, and then be sold in back alleys to smut providers.   Just make
sure that they have XXX somewhere in the MAC addresses.

I can see it now...New York Times: "Man Arrested in FBI sting for using
"child-safe" MAC hardware to run porn website".

Oh, the possibilities...

-jamie

-- 
James H. Corning      Network Administrator
[email-masked]      Wombat Internet, Inc.

"Pray to God, but keep rowing to the shore."
                  -- Russian Proverb