Subject: RE: imode far superior to wap

From: "Shaw, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:04:54 +0200

> Imode is far more widely used in Japan

http://www.nttdocomo.com/source/i_m_scr.htm

Watch the subscriber count go up. Depending on your 
definition of an ISP (please no yes they are, no 
they're not, it's not e2e debate), they'd be the 
world's second largest with over 10 million subscribers 
in only about 18 months of service roll-out...

NTT Docomo will also most likely be the first to deploy 
3G systems in the first half of 2001.

I've had an i-Mode 502i colour handset catalogue on my
desk for a few months and from the application screen 
shots I can only groan when using my WAP handset.

bob (ex-WAP user after seeing the first bill...)

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:15:49 -0400

folks,

our current plan is NOT to try to extend a single address space
across the solar system. We plan to confine address spaces to
planets, satellites, space vehicles and the backbone Internet -
but each address space is independent. We plan to use something
akin to the domain name system for interplanetary-wide references.
It's a little more complex than that, but in any case we concluded
that trying to extend the end/end ADDRESS paradigm across the
distances of the solar system were unrealistic.

The design team is working on a spec it will look forward to sharing
with anyone interested.

vint

At 04:59 PM 8/10/2000 +0200, Steven Cotton wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Barathy, RamaSubramaniam wrote:
>
> > Soon we need to have the interplanetary ip address allocation methods
> > even for our planet (The work of Vinton cerf & colleagues in NASA) for 
> > so many devices popping up.
>
>This brings up some more problems I don't even want to start thinking
>about. Yet.
>
>-- 
>steven

=================================================================
WorldCom
22001 Loudoun County Parkway
Building F2, Room 4115, ATTN: Vint Cerf
Ashburn, VA 20147
Telephone (703) 886-1690
FAX (703) 886-0047

"INTERNET IS FOR EVERYONE!" 
INET 2001: Internet Global Summit 
5-8 June 2001 
Sweden International Fairs 
Stockholm, Sweden 
http://www.isoc.org/inet2001

---

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:28:47 -0700 (PDT)

Masataka,

Seriously, I would like to get a pair of Simple Internet Phone 
prototype terminal adapters.  You said they can be purchased.  I 
have not been able to find any other references to them.  Please 
explain how they can be obtained.

Brijesh,

In answer to your questions:

> What makes you think that the system experts from Motorola, Nortel,
> Lucent, Erricson, Nokia who developed WAP over several months needed
> to learn protocol design lessons[?]

The fact that they went to great lengths to design a closed protocol 
after decades of evidence in favor of open protocols has piled up, 
for starters.

> Doesn't it occur to you that there may be reasons for decisions in
> the design that you may not be aware?  Think!

What others than simple greed do you think there are?

Cheers,
James