Subject: IPv6 Migration (and back...)

From: Tim Salo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:53:25 -0500 (CDT)

> > If you can point me to a production-quality Windows 98 IPv6 stack,
> 
> I think Trumpet have that .. trumpet.com.au

Trumpet Winsock v5.0 is advertised to include IPv6 support.

In a bust of patriotism, I dutifully downloaded Winsock v5.0 and 
installed it on my Windows 98 laptop.

IPv4 stopped working.  Initially, I assumed that this was a migration
feature installed by IPv6 advocates.  Upon further investigation,
I leaned that additional DHCP functionality is planned for future
Winsock releases.  Whatever that means, there doesn't seem to be
enough DHCP functionality to allow me to connect to the network.
(Winsock does, however, have a nice trace feature that let me know
that the software at least called whatever BOOTP/DHCP code it does
have.)

Not to be deterred by the complete lack of IPv4 connectivity, I
plugged my laptop into an IPv6 cable at the NLANR/Internet2 Techs
conference hosted by the University of Toronto.  After a few more
reboots, the Winsock software never seemed to have found an exit
router.  (While I am not entirely sure I believe the claims that
IPv6 adds only minor changes to IPv4, I found IPv4 and IPv6 to be
fairly equivalent in my brief experience.)  I will also admit that
I don't really know if IPv6 is working.  I think the four IPv6
cables have been carefully coiled in a pile for the whole conference.
(Well, not quite.  Just before me, somebody was hoping that the cables
also supported IPv4 -- apparently they don't.)

I uninstalled Winsock v5.0 and am thankful that I again have IPv4
connectivity, however politically incorrect.

So, if anyone else has any suggestions for getting IPv6 to run on my
Windows 98 laptop let me know.

-tjs

---

From: Kent Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:14:37 -0700

> Windows 98 laptop let me know.

Install linux; install ipv6 support in linux; install vmware; install 
win 98 as a guest os.  I've never tried this, of course...
:-)

-- 
Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be
[email-masked]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain