Subject: RE: PAT

From: Lillian Komlossy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:17:04 -0400

PAT = Port Address Translation

Cisco 700 series routers provide PAT, enabling local hosts on a private IP
network to communicate externally. 

Packets destined for an external address have their private IP address plus
port number translated to the router's external IP address before the IP
packet is forwarded to the WAN. IP packets returning to the router have
their external IP addresses (plus port number) translated back to the
private IP addresses, and the packets are forwarded to the LAN.

When PAT is enabled, the transmission of RIP packets is automatically
disabled to prevent a broadcast of the private IP addresses externally. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Lillian

Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com ||
http://www.imarketingnews.com || 212 925-7300 ext. 232 ||
mailto:[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Burggasser [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 2:34 PM
To: Mailinglist
Subject: PAT

hy

could anyone tell me whats PAT on cisco router is ? its in conjunction
with ip domain-lookup on the router, but i didnt find anything about.

thanks for help

cu peter

-
This message was passed through [email-masked], which
is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.