Subject: RE: Heard at the IETF

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:05:44 GMT

Elevators are fundamentally inimical to the IETF, because
elevators don't scale.

Bob Braden

---

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:18:43 -0400

> Elevators are fundamentally inimical to the IETF, because

	But they are an established transport.  We are not suppose to
create a new one when an old one will serve the purpose.

> Bob Braden

	Mike
-- 
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [email-masked]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
  NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
 PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:55:54 +0100 (BST)

> Elevators are fundamentally inimical to the IETF, because

Taking that statement about elevators as an example of a valid axiom:

IPv6's address space is finite, fixed, and limited. It doesn't scale.
(Scalable address spaces were dropped from the IPv6 spec right after
Huitema got the first edition of his IPv6 book published, for valid
reasons including implementation practicality and code reliability and
testing. Thousands of puzzled readers who haven't seen the second
edition are no doubt wondering if the IETF thinks itself as smart as
the first edition claims it to be. Er, where was I?)

Right. The IPv6 address space doesn't scale, therefore the IPv6
address space is fundamentally inimical to the IETF. (This may go some
considerable way to explaining lack of IPv6 address space use, the
IETF NAT working group, development of 6to4 transition so that those
who have mistakenly deployed IPv6 address space can get back to IPv4
easily, an eventual third edition summarising the great IPv6
experiment and all that we learned from its tragic failure, etc.)

Engineering the concept over given scales is separate from 
the scalability of the concept.

See descriptions in Arthur C. Clarke's 'The Fountains of Paradise'.
http://www.google.com/search?q=space+elevator

perhaps you mean 'have not been demonstrated as scaling sufficiently
in practice'?

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 18:32:49 -0400

> Elevators are fundamentally inimical to the IETF, because

Scalable elevators have been designed, and I believe, prototyped.
However it appears that buildings don't scale well enough to make
scalable elevators worthwhile.

Keith

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:14:41 -0400

At 08:05 PM 8/4/00 +0000, Bob Braden wrote:
>Elevators are fundamentally inimical to the IETF, becauseelevators don't 
>scale.

an elevator doesn't scale the building?

d/