Subject: Re: more on IPv6 address space exhaustion

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 00:19:45 -0400

> From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>

    > the last report I heard featured an interview with Don Telage of NSI.
    > Apparently, the commission had considered doing this "zoning" based
    > on TLDs, but now they're looking at IPv6 address space.  

Oh, goody.

No doubt all *sorts* of people would want to use such a mechanism. In
addition to various countries which implement absolute controls on what
information their citizens can see, think of all the others who will find
this mechanism appealing.

The RIAA and their ilk will want all those foreign sites that are hosting
DeCSS and Gnutella and all that sort of stuff placed in a class so that
people here in the US can be prevented from gaining access to them.

And of course the French and German governments will want a special class
for sites that have Nazi memorabilia.

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The mind simply reels when one considers all the possibilies.

One hopes that ICANN will realize that opening *this* stack of TNT will get
them mixed up in something that will make the entire domain-names
controversy to date look like a wet match.

	Noel

PS: One wonders about the wattage level of the people on the commision,
but I digress.

---

From: Rick H Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:34:51 -0700 (PDT)

Noel,

this stems from the lack of engineers intrest in politics, until its
too late.

-rick

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:56:08 -0700

At 12:19 AM 8/12/00 -0400, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:
>One wonders about the wattage level of the people on the commision,
>but I digress.

Oh, it's not the watts. watts are power times capability. These people have 
high power and ...

---

From: "Anthony Atkielski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 08:51:23 +0200

> this stems from the lack of engineers intrest in politics, until its

It couldn't possibly stem from the lack of politicians' interest in
engineering, could it?

---

From: Eric Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 15:22:31 -0400

there was a time when the assertion that string allocation policies in the
dns are subordinate to trademark registration was viewed as exotic, if not
deranged or at best mildly ignorant.

some community or another, together with some government and some contractor,
and innumerable sundry other actors, transformed the value of the assertion,
or allowed the transformation to occur (but only in ascii).

arin's executive seat is vacant. even if "zoning" is only a territorial
jurisdictional issue, like manditory-to-implement des, and confined to the
us and other odd bits of the world, there doesn't appear to be the capacity
to resist/instruct/co-opt/...  the next ira magaziner et alia who wander by.

for professional reasons i'm having to grapple with the awkward bits of http
metadata filtering (copa comes to mind, as does the eu's data act, etc.) in
the presence of ... a regretable pending rfc. the excesses (overspecification)
of the atechnical participants in this policy area are ... non-negligable.

for civic reasons i've had to grapple with the awkward bits of the technical
projection of institutional policies most of this list's participant assume
are inoperative or negligable or ... simply infra dig. the excesses ... etc.

list chatter isn't going to correct don, srinija or bill (copa commissioners,
and possessed of ip-clue), it isn't going to fix "zoning" as a vehicle for
specific access or cost recovery policies, or the subordination of routing
based address allocation policies to content-access based polices.

personally i can wait for the day when protocols and parameters are subject
to data-free atechnical policy examination for necessity and utility -- only
i suspect it has already arrived.

g. stein wrote of oakland, there's no "there" there. i hope we're not really
playing dress-up when we gesture as if there is a "here" here.

cheers,
eric

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 15:20:11 -0400

Eric,

it's of course useful to understand that brain-damage exists.

but it's a bad idea to conclude that because it exists, and because
it exists in the minds of people with power, we should all start 
thinking that way.  you can't do good design with a mindset like that.

try to understand the other mindset, but don't get it confused with sanity.
or reality.

Keith