Subject: Re: Bake-off as trademark

From: Jeff Weisberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 16:47:57 -0500 (EST)

| > I've been approached regarding the use of the (claimed-to-be)
| > trademarked term bake-off. It would be helpful if somebody can provide
| > credible evidence that this term has been used within the technical
| > community for many years. (In case you didn't know,
| > http://www.bakeoff.com/ shows the non-technical use....)
| 
| RFC 1025, "TCP and IP Bake Off", J. Postel, September 1987.

IEN 160, "Internet Meeting Notes", J. Postel, Nov. 1980
	Section V. - "BAKE OFF SUMMARY"

	--jeff

---

From: "Anthony Atkielski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 00:27:04 +0100

> Section V. - "BAKE OFF SUMMARY"

The problem with this prior use is that it was almost certainly based on the
trademarked use for baking competitions.  However, at the same time, since
this term is not being used in a contest that lends itself to confusion with
actual baking competitions, there may be no conflict, and thus no trademark
protection to worry about.