Subject: Useable video from meetings - was suggestion

From: "Shirley Tseng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:50:12 -0800

Hi,

It sure would be nice for the IETF to offer webcasting of the meetings.  The
objective of 'ease of access to information' would be greatly serve if the
protocol and software package debate can be put aside...  If commercial
conferences like Comdex can be provided by CNET (See
http://www.key3media.com/comdex/fall2000/), the ISOC can webcast INET
conference (See notice below), and ICANN meetings are webcast and archives
available overnight (see below), why is the bar to IETF participation still
having to deploy MBONE or have access to it?

..just a simple question...  If it is a money issue, perhaps student
volunteers from the local university or companies can donate their services.

The IETF agenda is global.  The IETF operating principle is open access.
Any tool that can lower the barriar to participation would make sense...

Just having useable archive webcast would be an improvement.  Technology for
real-time humming and vote counting can come later!!!  (I am sure better
technology on vote counting will be very popular in the next year...)

Shirley Tseng
Infinite Global Infrastructures
[email-masked]

-- INET meeting archive

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:21:05 +0900
From: KAWAI Keiichi <[email-masked]>
To: "ISTF Discussion" <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked]
Subject: Announce: Archive of 1st ISTF face-to-face Informal Meeting is now
available.

Dear ISTFers:

I am pleased to announce that Video / Audio / Text Archive of ISTF
Meeting in Yokohama is now available at

	http://inet.sfc.wide.ad.jp/

On behalf of 8 volunteer webcast team members, I would like to thank
for all the encouragement and compliments given to the webcast team.

We have tried to make this webcast as accessible as possible --
video/audio works with old players, bandwidth can be as low as 12kbps,
and scribe system was also available for people with language/hearing
barriers.
I apologize for people who could not watch the live webcast even with
those efforts. I will work more for next time.

And I would like to thank Ms. Abigail Cooke who volunteered for the
scribe.
My small scribing system could not work without you.

I would like to thank all of you again for letting us work with you,
and, please enjoy!

Sincerely,

Keiichi "kero" KAWAI
Webcast Team,  Jun Murai Lab.
Keio University
[email-masked]

ICANN archives
Today's ICANN Board Meeting is now complete, and archives of this session,
yesterday's Public Forum, and Tuesday's DNSO meetings have been posted in
the online meeting archive at
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/la2000/archive>.  Archives include
RealVideo archives, agendas, scribe's notes, documents and presentations
used, real-time questions received, and online discussion logs.

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:28:56 -0800 (PST)

Two of the rooms will be multicast, in two formats h.261 and mpeg-1. Those
sessions will be recorded and can then be down-mixed to various formats
for archiving...

They should be available slighlty thereafter in a format similar to what
we're currently doing for the nanog meetings...

http://videolab.uoregon.edu/nanog/

Doing even a small number of sessions all day for four days is a major
logistical effort that currently involves around 20 volunteers including
at current count something like 7-9 students...

joelja

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli				       [email-masked]    
Academic User Services			     [email-masked]
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

---

From: "Daniel Senie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:47:21 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Shirley Tseng <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 1:50 PM
Subject: Useable video from meetings - was suggestion

> volunteers from the local university or companies can donate their
services.

I have raised this issue many times, including on the floor of the open
plenary.

College students ALREADY are there providing video feeds onto the MBONE. The
problem is the MBONE doesn't reach the target audience. In the past this was
less problematic, as the universities and corporations able to connect to
the MBONE covered the core IETF activist audience pretty well. I doubt
that's true today.

Rather than volunteer efforts, I've proposed collecting and using real
dollars. Instead of an in-person attendance fee (which pays for the meeting
rooms, and the refreshments) I proposed we collect a telepresence fee to
help defray the costs of broadcasting the event with tools accessible from
ANY location on the Internet.

> Any tool that can lower the barriar to participation would make sense...

I agree, as do many others, but nothing's happened in this regard beyond the
MBONE broadcast and archiving after-the-fact.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:42:04 -0500

> the MBONE covered the core IETF activist audience pretty well. I doubt

Hmm.  A hosting company could subscribe to the MBONE feed and bridge it over to
their RealVideo (or whatever) server.  That would avoid complicating the
on-site logistics.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Speak softly and carry an Illudium Q-32      |
[email-masked]|Explosive Space Disintegrator.               |
\==============================================================/

---

From: Peter Parnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:34:46 +0100

> The problem is the MBONE doesn't reach the target audience.

If just multicast access is the problem, then why not use a number of
multicast/unicast reflectors as was done on the last SIGCOMM conference.
One application for this might be the marratech Session Proxy which can
be found on e.g. 
www.emeetingportal.com or 
msp.cdt.luth.se:7000 

All you you need on the receiver side is a way to launch mbone tools via
a SDP-file delivered via HTTP (like e.g. the free Marratech Player or
the commercial Marratech Pro) or be able to launch the tools manually. 

/P