Subject: audio makes more sense than video

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:11:52 -0800 (PST)

Given that audio recording and production is less expensive than 
video production, and audio takes less bandwidth, how about audio 
recordings as an alternative?

Whether we use GSM 06.10 or MP3 format, it makes economic sense.

Lincoln D. Stein suggests MP3:

  http://www.itknowledge.com/tpj/feature/tpj0503-0002.html

  http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3

  http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/~hipp/mpg123.html

Since this would be for noncommercial use for the IETF, no patent 
licensing would be required.  Commercial concerns would be free 
to pay non-profit organizations to convert the format for them.

Cheers,
James

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:45:58 -0800 (PST)

There will of course be an mpeg-1 layer 2 96Kb/s bitstream as part of the
mpeg-1 multicast source. royalties have already been payed by the
hardware encoder vendor.

playback using a client that liscenses the the fraunhoffer IP such as mtv
(on unix's), windows media-player, or quicktime 5 is left to the
discretion of the viewer.

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel Jaeggli				       [email-masked]
Academic User Services			     [email-masked]
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.