Subject: Active Voice's products: VPIM or something similar?

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:16:54 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone know if Active Voice supports Internet standards?
This quote is interesting:

"... future versions of Unity will support Audio Messaging
Interchange Specification (AMIS) as well as Voice Profile for 
Internet Mail (VPIM)...."

  --  http://www.activevoice.com/custom/press/pk/pdfs/nareport.pdf

What is AMIS, other than an unfortunate choice of acronym initials? 

Active Voice looks like another TAPI vendor.  Is there a reference 
implementation of VPIM on TAPI?

If not, and someone wants to make one, here are the docs:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/tapi22/quickref_1pnp.htm
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/tapi3/tapiovr1_7juf.htm
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/tapi22/intro_2khj.htm
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/tapi22/quickref_1okl.htm
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/tapi22/func1_8rub.htm
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/tapi22/quickref_2eud.htm
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/tapi3/tapiovr1_4zxw.htm
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/tapi3/tspmsp_68mv.htm

This example code claims to make "complete" use of TAPI, but in 
fact it avoids use of the MS-WAVE interface, e.g., waveInOpen() 
and associated asyncronous usually-C buffer-based audio I/O calls, 
which would be necessary for a TAPI VPIM implementation:

  http://www.shrinkwrapvb.com/vbtapi.htm

Another technical introduction might be the Microsoft TAPI browser, 
e.g., TB20.EXE, which can put much of TAPI v.2 through its paces.

As usual, I'd be happy with something that could send an Audio/L16
;rate=11025 file as a base64 MIME attachment to a standard Internet 
message, but VPIM is more well thought out and usually less of a 
spool-buster.

Cheers,
James