Subject: RE: Peer2Peer?

From: Chris Millikin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:54:19 -0800

Sounds like a new breed of Archie.

Check out RFC 1739 section 2.8.1

"2.8.1. ARCHIE

   Archie is a tool for locating files on the Internet, originally
   developed at the Computer Science Department at McGill University in
   Montreal.  Archie allows users to find software, data, and other
   information files that reside at anonymous FTP archive sites across
   the Internet; the name of the program, reportedly, is derived from
   the word "archive" and not from the comic book character.  Archie
   tracks the contents of over 1,000 anonymous FTP archive sites
   containing over 2 million files.  The Archie server automatically
   updates the information from each registered site about once a month,
   providing relatively up-to-date information without unduly stressing
   the network."

-----Original Message-----
From: Johan Henriksson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2000 9:10 AM
To: IETF
Subject: Peer2Peer?

from: Johan Henriksson, leadprogrammer @ www.realsoftware.cjb.net
"The individual should be praised for it's struggle, the society
condemned for it's actions" - me 1997
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------

Hi!
I am writing a spec for a new library. It will be a general peer2peer
clientserver.
It's working like GNUtella but it doesn't copy files. Instead, it works as a
clean
resourcelist manager so that each GNUtella type program will keep it's own
resourcelist, this one tells the client which clients that host the
requested kind
of server. This will proove useful later when games are starting to use the
same
tech. That way, we can make the service more useful and keep down the
traffic
on the net.

My question is; is there any kind of standard for this? Is there even
discussions on
the matter? Please point me out.

TIA