Subject: How many cooks?

From: Garrett Wollman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 21:43:41 -0500 (EST)

<<On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 17:21:03 -0800, RFC Editor <[email-masked]> said:

>         Author(s):  B. Aboba, P. Calhoun, S. Glass, T. Hiller,
>                     P. McCann, H. Shiino, G. Zorn, G. Dommety,
>                     C. Perkins, B. Patil, D. Mitton, S. Manning,
>                     M. Beadles, P. Walsh, X. Chen, 
>                     S. Sivalingham, A. Hameed, M. Munson, S. Jacobs,
>                     B. Lim, B. Hirschman, R. Hsu, Y. Xu,
>                     E. Campbell, S. Baba, E. Jaques 

Is the IETF now competing with scholarly journals in the race for
``most authors on a single paper''?  (No offense intended to the
parties listed above, but you'll pardon me if I get a little
uncomfortable with the idea of a 29-page document having 26 official
authors.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all the same
[email-masked]  | O Siem / The fires of freedom 
Opinions not those of| Dance in the burning flame
MIT, LCS, CRS, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 07:56:31 -0600

> uncomfortable with the idea of a 29-page document having 26 official

Relax.  For perspective, look at some of the high energy physics
papers that come out of THIS laboratory!

---

From: "Melinda Shore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:34:56 -0800

>From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 5:56 AM
>Subject: Re: How many cooks?

> papers that come out of THIS laboratory!

At least the drafts coming into the IETF don't show the
same behavior as scientific papers, which is that title
length directly correlates with the number of authors.

Melinda

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 15:30:21 +0000

>>length directly correlates with the number of authors.

perhaps we shpould encourage i-ds (and rfcs) to have authors from as
many countries as possible so that they can be simultaneously
translated into as many local languages as possible (and zip coded for
the hard of thinking:-)

 cheers

   jon

---

From: "Abbie Barbir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:36:02 -0500

what is important here is the quality of work.

in the end people will refer to the draft  using the first author name with the
famous "et al."

_____
abbie