Subject: Will Language Wars Balkanize the Web? ICANN timing

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 04:45:07 -0500

James Salsman [email-masked] said: 
>I don't know why ICANN would want to bring such a heavy burden
>upon themselves in an area of such flux so soon, when they have 
>so much else that they have already committed to do.

Dan K says:
Well, the actual announcement at ICANN.Org doesn't really even hint at a
timetable.

I think its got to happen, (IDN DNS). But perhaps not too quickly. 

I think, the registrars that are pushing the envelope to apply this
prematurely are doing there customers somewhat of a dissservice.

Then again testing has to happen sooner or later.

I don't think there is anyone that wants to trade off doing it quickly for
doing it right. Getting more non technocrats involved would help to judge
the reality check parts of all of this. But that seems hard to arrange on a
meaningful scale without committing to the whole thing.

Regs,
Dan Kolis