Subject: Re: WLAN

From: Teemu Rinta-aho <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:03:51 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Harald Koch wrote:

> There was an access point in the Embassy Suites Hotel. It was not
> connected to the rest of the IETF LAN. It was instead connected to the
> Internet via a Qualcomm HDR, a high-speed cellular data connection being
> tested by Qualcomm.
> 
> An enterprising engineer installed an 802.11 access point and an HDR
> modem, and connected the two via an ethernet cable. Voila, instant
> internet.

Thank you. That was nice service from Qualcomm, just too
bad there was no information of the wireless coverage
on the meeting web pages.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Teemu Rinta-aho                        [email-masked]
NomadicLab, Ericsson Research               +358 9 299 3078
FIN-02420 Jorvas, Finland                  +358 40 562 3066
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:05:32 -0500

> on the meeting web pages.

It wasn't kept secret, though; they had a table set up in the Sheraton
(opposite the social event/LAN card desk) with information.

--
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|Chief Scientist |================================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"The struggle is always worthwhile, if the end  |
[email-masked]|be worthwhile and the means honorable;          |
|                |foreknowledge of defeat is not sufficient reason|
|                |to withdraw from the contest." -- Adron         |
|                |e'Kieron, by Steven Brust                       |
\=================================================================/

---

From: "Marcus Leech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:55:42 -0800

Additionally, after network shutdown on Friday, Jeff Schiller cross-connected
his
  his Apple AirPort to his HDR/Hornet box, and was providing NATed wireless
service
  to folks still hanging out in the lobby of the east tower of the Hotel.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:01:17 -0800

>on the meeting web pages.

for the record, apart from Qualcomm's HDR service, the Wireless was Cisco 
Aironet.