Subject: 49th-IETF conf room planning

From: Lane Patterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:30:03 -0800

This has likely been proposed previously, but I would like to
raise the topic of mapping adequate conf rooms to WGs and BOFs.
I have now attended 3 WGs that had to turn away attendees due
to extreme lack of space, and several others that had plenty of 
extra unutilized space.  

Would the IETF organizers consider requesting WG/BOF attendance 
plans upon registration?  Are there other suggestions for 
improvement in this process?

Respectfully,
-Lane

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:00:09 -0800

On 12/13/00 at 1:30 PM -0800, Lane Patterson wrote:

>plans upon registration?

They do ask when the meeting is scheduled. It is up to the chair to 
estimate appropriately.

-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:14:08 -0800

>improvement in this process?

The biggest improvement would be if people could sign up for the meetings 2 
years in advance, so that we could book big enough meeting facilities.

The assignment to rooms is based on the WG/BOF chairs' estimates of 
attendance. Getting better estimates would help - but this would have to be 
done entirely automagically if it were to help the (small) secretariat 
staff, and be filled in correctly.

Anyone volunteering to write/host the data entry pieces of this, so that we 
can test it at a forthcoming IETF?

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, [email-masked]
+47 41 44 29 94
Personal email: [email-masked]

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:22:09 -0800

This would need to be integrated with the general registration mechanism
to have any chance of being representative. Or you can hand out yellow
badges to those who filled out the form. If the room is full, the white
badges get kicked out....

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> -
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
> Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:08:09 -0800

>badges get kicked out....

do not think it is a joke....at the Cisco Networkers in Paris, you had to 
sign on for all the sessions; your agenda was printend on the back of your 
badge.
Staff at the door would only let in the people who could show that they 
were listed for that session until right before the session started; only 
then could the rest of the folks go in.

VERY Expensive. But it worked.

In the IETF, we have:
- Large floating population
- Session scheduling done AFTER most people have signed up
- Large amount of wandering in and out.

We are not an easy community to plan for.

---

From: "Michael B. Roetto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:59:23 -0600

may i suggest New Orleans as a possible location? Afaik, there's been no
IETF here. The city has ample hotel/convention space plus the amenities of
the French Quarter; always a fave. Also, good air connects within the
USA,etc.
/m/