Subject: Default free zone

From: Dave Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:12:31 -0500

Can anybody explain what the "default free" zone of the Internet is
or provide some documentation on what it is? 

Thanks,
Dave

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:37:03 -0500

> or provide some documentation on what it is? 

It's the parts of the Internet core where the topology is sufficiently
convoluted that a default route is a bad idea.  Out towards the edges
of the Internet, you can safely use a default route "this is going Out There,
so feed it to our upstream connectivity provider and let THEM route it".

When you don't have an upstream anymore (usually because you're a long-haul
provider whos business is being an upstream for others, or a site sufficiently
multi-homed that routing becomes interesting), you have to drop the default
route and actually deal with a routing table.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: "alessio porcacchia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:20:49 +0100

Dear Collegues and Friends,
When the Ietf must decide to prepare a meeting in Italy
I hope that see all of you "de visu" for talk to my "tech friends"
Ciao Alessio
Sys Adim 
Rome Italy

---

From: Roberto Ciacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:55:50 +0100

Hi everybody

it would be a great event!
Who manages IETF meetings planning?

Ciao
Roberto

-- 
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                         Roberto Ciacci
     C I N E C A  InterUniversity Consortium for SuperComputing
           Communication and Distributed System Group
 via Magnanelli, 6/3 - 40033 Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna) - Italy
e-mail: [email-masked] voice: +39 051 6171435 fax: +39 051 6171521
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." B. Franklin

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:26:41 -0800

>it would be a great event!

Italy would be a great *location*, which is why an IETF meeting held there 
might not be a great *event*.  Experience has taught us that holding IETF 
meetings in attractive locations (such as San Diego) can be 
counter-productive...

         Ross (who wisely skipped the San Diego meeting, but who's looking 
forward to Minneapolis in March :-)