Subject: www.ietf.org advertising isoc

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 01:44:15 +0000 (GMT)

I see the slightly-updated www.ietf.org webpage is now linking to the
Internet Society. If we're doing banner promotion, I'd appreciate a
nice interstitial page stating that you do not have to be a member of
ISOC to be a member of the IETF, much less have access to the ISOC
member-only pages. Yes, this is mentioned on
http://www.isoc.org/standards/ - a way after the membership blurbs and
the corporate platinum programme, though.

(note the confusion over getting involved in the IETF expressed in
RFC3002. This doesn't help.)

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 06:38:30 +0100

At 01.44 +0000 00-12-27, Lloyd Wood wrote:
>I'd appreciate a
>ISOC to be a member of the IETF

You are never a member of the IETF. See the link "Joining the IETF" 
on the IETF webpage which points to http://www.ietf.org/join.html.

The correct term is "participating in the IETF". Nothing else. To 
quote the page in question:

>The actual technical work of the IETF is done in its working groups. 
>To become a participant in the IETF, one merely becomes active in 
>one or more working groups by asking to be added to the WG's mailing 
>list.

    paf

-- 
Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>       Internet Engineering Task Force
Area Director, Applications Area                   http://www.ietf.org
Phone: (Stockholm) +46-8-4494212            (San Jose) +1-408-525-0940
        PGP: 2DFC AAF6 16F0 F276 7843  2DC1 BC79 51D9 7D25 B8DC

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:03:04 -0600

Lloyd,

There is nothing on the IETF (or ISOC) web site suggesting that ISOC membership
is required, so what is your problem?

Since the ISOC funds the RFC Editor and provides a budget at the
disposal of the IETF Chair, not to mention providing vital
legal insurance, a pointer (which is actually taken from
RFC 2028) hardly seems inappropriate as a minimal acknowledgement. 

Truth in advertising: this addition to the web site was made at my request,
of course with the agreement of the IETF Chair.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Board Chairman, Internet Society http://www.isoc.org
Non-IBM email: [email-masked]