Subject: Re: Welcoming newcomers

From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:15:44 -0600 (CST)

>I can imagine, without much trouble, a scenario
>in which, e.g., someone showed up and claimed to "represent" a
>company with considerable IETF experience (and other employees
>as long-term participants), started pushing a technically
>unviable idea and justifying it on the basis of his or her
>company's market position.  

Unfortunately, this is exactly the sort of thing the IETF is 
periodically accused of doing.  Just look through the archives 
and you'll see that every so often someone (usually but not 
always from 'outside') will pop up in public
and claim that the IETF is run solely by and for the benefit 
of large corporations.  It isn't a particularly difficult 
argument to counter, but the damage to the organization's 
image is still there.

Cheers,

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
Information Systems Security Officer
National Business Center
U. S. Dept. of the Interior
[email-masked]
========================================
 Who goeth without humor goeth unarmed.
========================================

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:59:32 -0500

> Just look through the archives

not much we can do about it, I'm afraid.  part of the price of
being successful is having envious folks take pot shots at you.
the fact that their arguments are vacuous doesn't keep them from trying,
and occasionally, doing some damage.

Keith