Subject: Postel's razor applied to ACE

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:02:07 -0800 (PST)

If ACE wanted to be liberal with what it accepts, it would not 
insist that applications "MUST" stop with an error when it finds
that the encoded string has an ASCII representation.  Political 
decisions about uniqueness should not require everyone to have 
to upgrade their servers to software that thinks it knows which 
of the Unicode table entries correspond directly to ASCII glyphs. 

For what applications would ACE be superior to UTF-5?

Is there an Internet Draft describing the differences between 
the two?

Cheers,
James

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:42:29 -0800

One more time with feeling: please take this discussion to the IDN 
WG's mailing list. It has no place on the main IETF mailing list, and 
it needs to be discussed where the people working on the protocol are 
working.

Of course, one might want to read the WG's archive before posting to 
the list, given that many of the topics that have appeared here this 
week have already been discussed.....

IDN WG info: <http://www.i-d-n.net/>

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium