Subject: Re: scum suckers (was Re: Bottom feeders:-)

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:55:52 -0700 (MST)

> Randy Bush wrote:

> ...
> >   the goal is not to become large, the goal is to maintain quality
> > 
> >   but one does not want to disenfranchise any particular constituency
> > 
> > so nangog gets space for about 500 people, allows just that many to
> > register, and it's first register first serve.

> From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
> To: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]

> I hate to argue with Randy's common sense but I don't think this
> works. There are always people who can't get travel authorisation
> until very late, or whatever, among those who are absolutely needed
> (i.e. document authors etc.). So we would need rules about who gets in
> regardless of the limit, and I don't see any way out of the discussion
> that would generate.

Whether it would work depends on your goals.  It clearly would work against
the goal of making the IETF meeting bigger and more "inclusive," both of
which are unadmitted and even denied but dear goals of many people.

However, no IETF meeting absolutely needs the attendance of any documents'
authors, if the mailing lists are paramount.  Yes, sometimes a picture or
a face to face meeting can be quicker and easier than email, but a document
that cannot eventually be understood via email is worthless and can never
be understood.

Other than those actually running the meetings, no one is absolutely
needed, if the mailing lists are the authoritative forums.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]