Subject: International Emergency Preference Scheme

From: "Folts, Harold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:25:02 -0500

In March 2000, the ITU-T established Recommendation E.106, A Description of
an International Emergency Preference Scheme (IEPS). This Recommendation
presents the basic requirements for preferential treatment of critical
communications to support recovery operations from serious disasters such as
earthquakes and severe storms. While E.106 is based upon Public Switched
Telephone Network (PSTN) services, considerable effort is underway to
migrate these capabilities to next generation networks based upon Internet
technology.

The first issue of pursuit is to ensure an effective interface between the
PSTN and IP-telephony services. It is expected that this interface will
touch on a number of work areas in the IETF. Many of the capabilities and
protocol mechanisms may already exist and need to be identified and adapted
as necessary. There could also be some areas where additional work may be
needed. Nevertheless, we expect that coordination and interaction with
various IETF work areas will be needed to help fulfill the requirements for
IEPS in next generation networks.

At IETF 48 in Pittsburgh we had a BOF on IEPS where the background and
considerations for IEPS were presented. We hope to have another BOF with
more detailed discussion at IETF 50 in Minneapolis. Two Internet Drafts on
IEPS have been posted and are available at www.iepscheme.net along with
other relevant documents.  We also have established an Email List for
discussion of the IEPS issues. You are invited to subscribe using the
instructions provided at the IEPS web site and contribute to the discussions
and progress of work.

Many thanks for you interest and support.

Hal

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*	Hal Folts
*	Senior Systems Engineer
*	Next Generation Networks
*	Technology and Programs Division (N2)
*	National Communications System
*	701 South Courthouse Road
*	Arlington, VA 22204-2198
*	Tel: +1 703 607-6186   Fax: +1 703 607-4830
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *