Subject: ACAP (RFC 2244)

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 12:18:50 -0500

Are there any ACAP implementations out there? If so, in reasonably
widespread use? Is this still considered the best blueprint for
application configuration, e.g., also as a format for configuration
files or in transports other than the ACAP transport?

Thanks (including for any 302 responses)
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:33:54 -0800

At 12:18 PM -0500 12/3/00, Henning G. Schulzrinne wrote:

>  Are there any ACAP implementations out there?

CMU has a free ACAP server.  Stalker Software's Communigate Pro 
includes an ACAP server.  I've heard of other companies developing 
ACAP servers, but nothing has been announced as far as I know. 
Several email clients use ACAP to one extent or another.  Some 
browser developers have said they will add support for the bookmarks 
dataset.

>  If so, in reasonably widespread use?

Use does seem to be expanding, but at a slow rate.

>  Is this still considered the best blueprint for

It's probably the easiest to use of any available mechanism, and 
offers a number of advantages (efficient use of bandwidth, easy 
resynchronization, etc.).  In my opinion, it's also a very nice 
protocol.