Subject: RE: 49th-IETF conf room planning

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:44:03 -0500

On this subject, may I suggest that we have outgrown hotel conference
facilities.
The place where we have outgrown them is hallways -- hotel facilities simply
do not have adequate hallways to accommodate us.  Much of the value of the
meeting
is the impromptu "BOF"s that occur in the hallways and other open areas.

At this particular meeting, we compounded the problem by putting food
service
in the MIDDLE of the hall.  We also, in virtually the same area put the
registration area, causing close to illegal density of people.  This is just
unacceptable.

Brian 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lane Patterson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 4:30 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: 49th-IETF conf room planning
> 
> 
> This has likely been proposed previously, but I would like to
> raise the topic of mapping adequate conf rooms to WGs and BOFs.
> I have now attended 3 WGs that had to turn away attendees due
> to extreme lack of space, and several others that had plenty of 
> extra unutilized space.  
> 
> Would the IETF organizers consider requesting WG/BOF attendance 
> plans upon registration?  Are there other suggestions for 
> improvement in this process?
> 
> Respectfully,
> -Lane
> 
> -
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
> Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.
>

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:13:26 -0500

>>>>> "Rosen," == Rosen, Brian <[email-masked]> writes:
    Rosen,> On this subject, may I suggest that we have outgrown hotel
    Rosen,> conference facilities.  The place where we have outgrown them is
    Rosen,> hallways -- hotel facilities simply do not have adequate hallways

  This, this isn't the first time this has occured. I'm kind of glad that
I couldn't go at the last minute :-)  [I was rewarded with 25cm of snow]

  Orlando was particularly bad last year, although Minneapolis was okay.
  Pittsburgh was not great, except during cookie time, and there was only
was critical congestion point, which could have been solved by putting
no cookies there.

  How are people finding it to get to and from the conference hotel?
  My impression is that the choice of hotel was geographically one of
the worse choices possible for in San Diego.   

    Rosen,> At this particular meeting, we compounded the problem by putting
    Rosen,> food service in the MIDDLE of the hall.  We also, in virtually
    Rosen,> the same area put the registration area, causing close to illegal
    Rosen,> density of people.  This is just unacceptable.

  Ick.
  The requirement for several thousand hotel rooms in close proximity, 10
tracks of working group meetings, terminal room, etc. likely limits the
number of cities that we can go to. I notice we are going back to
Minneapolis, and I've been to DC both times (will they ever finish remodeling
that hotel?).  I didn't make LA the second time, so I don't know if it
occured in the same hotel or not. The first time (when we were 1400 or so,
I think) was perfect in LA.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
	mailto:[email-masked]	mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:32:15 -0500

> I think) was perfect in LA.

Last time in LA worked OK, I thought. It's probably a good choice for
another visit. The Fairmont in San Jose also has a decent layout and
worked well last time we were there. The hallway issue is one that's
been a problem at a number of venues over the last several years.

I am starting to wonder if we're going to have to hold the meetings
primarily in Las Vegas. Vegas has the advantage of TONS of hotel rooms,
plenty of meeting space, and everything's close together. The hotel
rooms are relatively cheap (no idea about the cost of the conference
spaces, though). IETF would be a really tiny group for Vegas, but it
might be a really good fit.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Senie                                        [email-masked]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:44:51 -0500

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Senie <[email-masked]> writes:
    Daniel> meetings primarily in Las Vegas. Vegas has the advantage of TONS
    Daniel> of hotel rooms, plenty of meeting space, and everything's close
    Daniel> together. The hotel rooms are relatively cheap (no idea about the
    Daniel> cost of the conference spaces, though). IETF would be a really
    Daniel> tiny group for Vegas, but it might be a really good fit.

  Also has fairly good flight connections.

  By analogy, the yearly off-continent IETF should occur in Monte Carlo?

 [man, I hate these stupid Exchange vacation messages]

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:41:35 -0800

At 9:32 PM -0500 12/13/00, Daniel Senie wrote:

>  primarily in Las Vegas.

I fervently hope not.  Las Vegas is the tobacco smoking capital of 
the U.S. -- higher rates than anywhere else in the country, including 
areas where they grow the stuff.  It is also very hard to find good 
quality food (but is awash in cheap buffets).