Subject: Re: Blast from the past

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:08:03 GMT

*> >
  *> >However, I have to observe that this strange thing called ARPANET
  *> >appears to be using private addresses :-)
  *> 
  *> And I assume there were ALGs to translate between NCP and TCP hosts...
  *> 
  *> 

Nope. Dual stacks. 

Bob Braden

  *> 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb
  *> 
  *> 
  *>

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:12:42 +0000

on that picture, UCL would have been running triple (or maybe even
quadruple) staccks - we had the x.25/colour book (you did i think),
and the cambridge ring stuff, as well as some weird port expanders and
so on......

to get email between 2 pdp11/44s on a cambridge ring at one point we
used to use the external loopnack on an LSI/11 satnet (simp) interface
as far as i recall which meant that in theory, email goijng across the
room went about 35,000 miles....so you could say that the
interplanetary internet started in the earlie 1980s in a small
basement room....

 >>  *> 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb

 cheers

   jon