Subject: Technical Internet Advancements for White House Internet Strategies

From: Steven Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:16:14 -0600

I am looking for a few leading Internet technical experts to contribute 
their ideas for an online conference on the *use* of the Internet by the 
next White House.  What advancing Internet standards and tools should be 
considered?  What would you do if you were in charge?  What could the White 
House do to filter and respond to the millions of e-mails it receives in a 
more effective manner?  How might syndication and XML strategies be employed?

If you'd like to contribute a short essay to the event as described below, 
please drop me a note <[email-masked]> with your suggested topic area.  - 
Steven Clift

---------------------------------------------------------
  Democracies Online - White House 2001 Online Conference
       Envisioning the Next White House Web Site
---------------------------------------------------------

Opens with 100 Participants

An online event through January 18, 2001 to generate ideas and exchange 
information on the next White House web site.  What should the next White 
House Web site do?  What should it look like?  How should the White House 
use online communications strategically to connect with citizens and govern?

How this facilitated and moderated online exchange will work:

1. Idea Bullets - Each participant is encouraged to share one short idea 
for the next White House web site.

2. Strategic Essays - Internet leaders and netizens are asked to contribute 
short 400-500 word essays covering a specific Internet *use* strategy the 
White House should consider. Big ideas and solid advice wanted! These 
essays should be submitted to the online event facilitator, Steven Clift 
<[email-masked]> for review.

3. General Comments - All participants are encouraged to comment and add to 
the ideas sent to the forum. All posts will be moderated with a general 
limit of one or two posts per day per person. To keep message volume in 
check, some messages may be held one or two days.

To JOIN the online conference, simply send an e-mail to:
      [email-masked]

To messages via the web or choose digest options visit:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/do-whitehouse

To join the 1600 member Democracies Online Newswire moderated announcement 
e-mail list, get the full details at: http://www.e-democracy.org/do

This is a strictly unofficial activity. Content from the online event will 
be made available to White House officials and the public.

Hosted by Steven Clift <http://publicus.net> with the Democracies Online 
Newswire
<http://e-democracy.org/do>. If your organization would like to Co-Sponsor 
this event, all you need to do is bring 20 verified participants to the 
forum or send information about the forum to at least 1000 people on an 
e-mail list run by your  organization. Contact <[email-masked]> to 
co-sponsor this event.

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:44:08 +0000

some of the folks on this list aren't american or US citezens and
might think that this is a bit presumptious.....but here goes:-

the first thing the white house should do is educate its customers and
organise voting properly

the next thing it should do is apply for membership of the European
Union

following that, the use of other languages might be a considerably
benefit - e.g. spanish, chinese and hopi spring to mind

finally, what fee is being paid for this, and in what (stable)
currency, and under which tax treaty?

:-)

In message <[email-masked]>, Steven Clift typed

 >>please drop me a note <[email-masked]> with your suggested topic area.  - 

 cheers

   jon

---

From: Eric Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 13:29:15 -0500

> benefit - e.g. spanish, chinese and hopi spring to mind

Add Dineh (Navaho), don't want to inflame the Joint-Use Area conflict
any further, though Hopi do go Republican (those who "vote"), unlike
the majority of Dinetah and away-Dineh voters. Bear in mind that the
core of claims by Indigenous Peoples in the current and former British
North America and their successor states, apply to the English Crown
(in Right of Canada, and unsevered by the Treaty of Paris), and do not
make reference to theories of (immigrant) civil rights or equity.

We'd still like a recount, thanks awfully, even if conducted in English.

Kitakitamatsinopowaw, (see you again, probably someplace cold),
Eric

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:09:43 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Steven Clift <[email-masked]> wrote:

> considered?  What would you do if you were in charge? 

login: dbuya
password:

login: dubya
password: 

MR. PRESIDENT, YOU HAVE NEW ELECTRONIC MAIL. TO READ YOUR
ELECTRONIC MAIL, TYPE 'mail', WITHOUT THE QUOTES. THEN PRESS RETURN.
HailToTheChief[1]$ who
jeb	pts/18	Feb 1	17:43	(scooter.tampa.fl.us)
dubya	pts/13	Feb 2	21:02	(presidential-throne.whitehouse.gov)
dubya	pts/14	Feb 2	22:05	(presidential-throne.whitehouse.gov)
root	pts/2	Feb 4	05:59	(hoover.mitre.org)
cheney	pts/8	Feb 4	09:05	(doonesbury.whitehouse.gov)
cheney	pts/9	Feb 4	09:05	(doonesbury.whitehouse.gov)
cheney	pts/10	Feb 4	09:06	(doonesbury.whitehouse.gov)
cheney	pts/11	Feb 4	09:06	(doonesbury.whitehouse.gov)
cheney  pts/12	Feb 4	09:06	(doonesbury.whitehouse.gov)
barb	pts/5	Feb 4	10:12	(ranch.texaco.com)
dubya	pts/23	Feb 4	11:43	(chief-desk.whitehouse.gov)
HailToTheChief[2]$ ps
   PID	TTY	 TIME CMD
 14324	pts/13  37:53 mozilla
 14386	pts/14  38:14 mozilla
 15826	pts/23   0:02 hush
HailToTheChief[3]$ kill -9 14324
HailToTheChief[4]$ kill -9 14386
HailToTheChief[5]$ kill -9 15826
Connection closed by REMOTE COMPUTER.

login: dubya
password:

MR. PRESIDENT, YOU HAVE ELECTRONIC MAIL. TO READ YOUR ELECTRONIC MAIL,
TYPE 'mail', WITHOUT THE QUOTES. THEN PRESS RETURN.
HailToTheChief[1]$ ls
message to all from root:
monica.whitehouse.gov going down for more memory in five minutes!
core		games/		Mail/		music/
napster/	PD/		Photos/		Speeches/
stuff/		Stuff/		treehuggers/	xena.jpeg
yale/		zurba/
HailToTheChief[2]$ ping www.kremlin-gkd.ru
www.kremlin-gkd.ru is up.
HailToTheChief[3]$ defcon
DEFCON status is currently at 4 (FOUR).
Normal, with increased intelligence and strengthened security measures.
Visit our website at www.norad.af.mil!
HailToTheChief[4]$ whoami
dubya
PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD
HailToTheChief[5]$ uname
Microsoft Xenix 17.0 Government release. Classified top secret.
Restricted use. (c) 1975-1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

By using this software, you indicate your acceptance of the
following terms and conditions: 

DEFINITION OF TERMS USED IN THIS AGREEMENT
^C^C
HailToTheChief[6]$ finger dubya
Login: dubya			Name: George W-inner!- Bush III
directory: /users/exec/dubya	Shell: /bin/hush
No Plan.
HailToTheChief[7]$ explorer www.texasrangers.com &
Building fonts list. Please wait.... /

[15835 error -1] segmentation fault. core dumped.
HailToTheChief[8]$ mozilla www.texasrangers.com &
HailToTheChief[9]$ irc transition-advice
algore: and furthermore, I must make three points:
#kick * gore
algore has been removed from all channels
^Z

L.

visit Minnesota. it's Drop Dead Gorgeous.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>