Subject: Computer-related Crime

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:48:21 +0100

Computer-related Crime

The European Commission is participating in a number of initiatives aiming
at making communications networks like the Internet safer from criminal
activity.

It adopted on 26.1.2001 a Communication to the Council and the European
Parliament COM(2000)890) entitled Creating a Safer Information Society by
Improving the Security of Information Infrastructures and Combating
Computer-related Crime  

http://europa.eu.int/ISPO/eif/InternetPoliciesSite/Crime/crime1.html

The European Commission would like to invite comments from all interested
parties on the issues addressed in this Communication. Comments may be sent
up to 23 March 2001 via e-mail to the following address: 

[email-masked]

Comments will in principle be published, unless the sender explicitly
requests the comment not to be published. Anonymous comments will not be
published. The Commission reserves the right not to publish comments it
receives. 

The European Commission will also organise a public hearing of interested
parties on the issues addressed in the Communication. This hearing will take
place on 7 March 2001. Requests for an invitation to submit a statement at
this hearing may be sent up to 20 February 2001 via e-mail to the following
address: 

[email-masked]

The European Commission reserves the right to make a selection of parties to
be heard. Any selection will be based on the number of requests and the wish
to have a wide coverage of interests.

---------------------

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:09:49 +0000

as a european, i feel i have to be first to respond with:

"We're the government and we're here to help"....

having said that, there's some useful references in yr. document

for those of you out there in ietf land without brit TV access ,yo
umight be amused to track down the Mark Thomas Product's
expose of the CEC's rather dubious track record on public access to
information/policy
http://www.channel4.com/mark_thomas/
and compare it with some policies in the US and other places that any
valid/effective/non-pointless cybercrime policy must be consistent
with...

i suggest someone setup a web site or list to accumulate ALL responses that
people want to make public otherwise you may never see them again:-)

it would also be most encouraging if the CEC were to actually use some
sort of secure email for the opposite requirement (folks that want
their responses provably private)

 >>to have a wide coverage of interests.

 cheers

   jon