Subject: RE: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:48:59 -0800

The point being that if you have an arbitrary bunch of firewalls and
NATs between any two points, then you are forced into telephone-like
"call set-up" scenarios, which don't really scale to large groups,
specially when the application consists of sporadic messages to
arbitrary destinations. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 6:01 PM
To: Bill Manning
Cc: Keith Moore; David T. Perkins; Michael Richardson; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables 

> e.g.  it takes (at least) two to tango... or peer.

"at least".  yes.

Keith

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:32:49 -0800 (PST)

so this is like hop/hop or bilateral exchanges, presuming that there
 is no policy consideration between any given two points along the 
 complete path (outbound & return) that finds your particular packet
 "offensive" and tosses it w/o any abilitiy to notify the originating 
 party. 

% 
% The point being that if you have an arbitrary bunch of firewalls and
% NATs between any two points, then you are forced into telephone-like
% "call set-up" scenarios, which don't really scale to large groups,
% specially when the application consists of sporadic messages to
% arbitrary destinations. 
% 
% -----Original Message-----
% From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]] 
% Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 6:01 PM
% To: Bill Manning
% Cc: Keith Moore; David T. Perkins; Michael Richardson; [email-masked]
% Subject: Re: [midcom] WG scope/deliverables 
% 
% 
% > e.g.  it takes (at least) two to tango... or peer.
% 
% "at least".  yes.
% 
% Keith
% 
% 

-- 
--bill

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:02:35 -0500

> specially when the application consists of sporadic messages to

or in general, that networked applications sometimes involve more
than two parties that are mutually communicating (and they don't
necessarily use TCP exclusively)  a lot of the proferred solutions
seem to assume that pairwise mappings are sufficient; they aren't.

Keith