Subject: FW: Last Call: EtherIP: Tunneling Ethernet Frames in IP Datagrams to Proposed Standard

From: Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:33:12 +0200

Can somebody please clarify the IESG announcement below? What means the
phrase 'This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group. Is the IESG review available, if there has been some
discussions, where are they archived?

Thanks 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	The IESG [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Fri January 05 2001 21:12
> To:	IETF-Announce; @[email-masked]
> Subject:	Last Call: EtherIP: Tunneling Ethernet Frames in IP
> Datagrams to Proposed Standard
> 
> 
> The IESG has received a request to consider EtherIP: Tunneling Ethernet
> Frames in IP Datagrams <draft-housley-etherip-00.txt> as a Proposed
> Standard.  This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of
> an IETF Working Group.
> 
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
> [email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by February 5, 2001.
> 
> Files can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-housley-etherip-00.txt
>

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:01:23 +0100

>discussions, where are they archived?

The statement means that the IESG is going to have a look at the 
document, but wants input to that discussion from the IETF community. 
People can send input until Feb 5 (hmmm...3 days ago :-).

After this time period has expired, the Area Director in charge for 
this document (the one which received the request from the working 
group or individual, as in this case) will do a review, suggest a 
descision for the IESG. The descision is what you see as the 
announcement later in the process, and in the minutes from the IESG 
meetings.

IESG meets every second week, but not always the AD in charge have 
time between the last call closes (Feb 5) and the next meeting (on 
thursday) to do the review, and sometimes ADs (which are only humans, 
belive it or not) have lost documents. Yes, I know I am personally 
guilty for some of them.

The important thing to remember for all of you is that after you have 
given the document to an AD for IESG review, the AD is responsible 
for the progress of the document until you hear otherwise. I.e. ask 
the AD what the status is. You can also see status on 
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/status.html.

If the AD or IESG have issues with the document, the editor (and in 
many cases the wg chair and the wg mailing list will be noticed. You 
don't have to do anything else than poke the AD now and then.

    Regards, Patrik
    Co-Area Director, Applications Area

-- 
Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>       Internet Engineering Task Force
Area Director, Applications Area                   http://www.ietf.org
Phone: (Stockholm) +46-8-4494212            (San Jose) +1-408-525-0940
        PGP: 2DFC AAF6 16F0 F276 7843  2DC1 BC79 51D9 7D25 B8DC