Subject: RE: solution to NAT and multihoming

From: Larry Foore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:23:45 -0500

Mr. Wood,
Philosophically, I agree with your points in the previous email.

Reality dictates another perspective.  A good philosophy does not
necessarily translate to realizable solutions.

If this was a discussion on whether or not NAT should be used in the IPv4
Internet, your points would be well taken.  As we all know, this is far from
the actuality.

Your arguments are somewhat like discussing how many smoke detectors to put
in a building that is currently burning down.

Respectfully,
-Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Lloyd Wood [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 2:26 PM
To: Kevin Farley
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: solution to NAT and multihoming

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Kevin Farley wrote:

> - no, not everyone wants to run every conceivable application/protocol
> to their client machines, they are happy with the subset they chose.

you have an interesting spin on 'choice'. How can you choose something
before you've tried it? Before it's been written?

> - no, not everyone wants to participate in the great global address
> space of the Internet, they just want to access Internet-connected
> devices.

That is tantamount to saying 'We don't need clean air! We don't even
want to know what clean air is! We just need to be able to breathe!'.

I'm tempted to equate the walled-garden restrictions imposed by NAT
with the walled-garden restrictions imposed for copy-protection:
http://cryptome.org/jg-wwwcp.htm

either way, consumers are disadvantaged.

> Given the argument that NAT restricts the available applications and/or
> protocols, a potential buyer of the device must then choose the one
> that meets his or her requirements.

or the requirements of his users. Note the disconnect of needs and
interests there.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

****************************************************************************
This message is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, and
you are requested to please notify us immediately by telephone at
(321-956-8846) and return the original message to the address above.