Subject: IP course project

From: Vijay Ramachandran Iyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:44:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
 I am a Masters' student at NCSU in Computer Networking. Recently
registered at the ietf.org site. I am toying with the idea for a project
in VoIP or Mobile IP for my IP class. What are the relevant RFC's should I
be looking for?

 Also, experienced professionals, could you please let me know the kind of
equipment needed to work in these areas?

  Thank you.

Vijay Iyer

Teaching Assistant
CSC Department
NCSU
Raleigh
***************************************
You should become what you want to see
               -- Mahatma Gandhi
***************************************

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:35:43 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, 

 >>in VoIP or Mobile IP for my IP class. What are the relevant RFC's should I

an ericsson or nokia gsm phone works quite well
for mobile vice in most the world apart from major some
US cities:-)

IP is not required.
 
 >>equipment needed to work in these areas?
 
if you insit on running 2 time worse than toll quality speach, then
i sponse the front runner for IP voce in products (that have cross
"platofmr" support) is an H.263 and netmeeting type product

look for rfcs with the word "experimental"

we tried...the business case for real time is not good in networks
that make money out of being shared when there are already realtime
networksd (for tv, raio and telephony) out there....

otherwise there is a new book by fred halsall on intenet multimedia
which i thoguht was very good...

 >>Raleigh

 cheers

   jon