Subject: Carrier Class Gateway

From: "Vijay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:27:17 +0530

Hi,
   Please suggest me place or a Document where i can get some information about
   " Carrier Class Gateway".

 thanks in Advance
 Vijay

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:04:03 -0500

There is no such thing.  Neither the Panama Canal, the Suez Canal,
nor any other man-made waterway has locks large enough to accommodate
a modern aircraft carrier.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:15:12 +0100 (BST)

>    " Carrier Class Gateway".

Try: 
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22carrier+class+gateway%22

for more junk than anyone would actually want to read.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:41:05 -0400

>a modern aircraft carrier.

taking the undefined from the tangential to the irrelevant:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/jersey-animation.html

Perhaps the USS New Jersey isn't "modern".....actually, I think a lot of 
stuff  is designed to "panamax"....

---

From: Sandy Wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:13:59 -0400

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> Perhaps the USS New Jersey isn't "modern".....actually, I think a
> lot of stuff  is designed to "panamax"....

Being able to use our warships in either ocean as needed used to be a
major consideration, since it allowed us to build fewer of these
expensive ships than we would otherwise need.  Back when the Iowa class
ships were built, this was a design _requirement_.  The limiting locks
are 110' wide, and the Iowas are 108' wide.

Nowadays, the US Navy has had to give this ability up, as the carriers
had to keep growing to deal with the growth in combat aircraft.  None of
the US Navy's "modern aircraft carriers" can use the Panama Canal.  They
can use the Suez, though, since that is a fully sea-level ditch with no
locks.

This is even more irrelevant than expected though, as 1940s battleships
are neither "modern" nor "aircraft carriers".

-- 
: Unable to locate coffee.  Operator halted.