Subject: RE: Carrier Class Gateway

From: David Aronson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:34:13 -0400

Peter Deutsch <[email-masked]> wrote:

 > Actually, I'm surprised nobody's yet raised the issue of fragmenting the
 > payload in transit and the effect this will have on traffic throughput.
 > As modeled so far, this seems to be an interesting case where if you
 > reduce the size of the payload you actually decrease throughput, since
 > the ship will ride higher in the water, at high *or* low tide.

There is a very well established technique for fragmenting this type of
traffic, and making it ride MUCH lower, although throughput still suffers
significantly.  Haven't you ever heard of Transport Oversize Rectifying
Protocol Enhanced Depth Options?

(DE-fragmenting the traffic is left as an exercise for the reader.)

-- 
Dave Aronson, Sysop of free public Fidonet BBS Air 'n Sun, +1-703-319-0714.
Opinions all MINE, not by Cryptek/NRA/SCA/Mensa/HWG/LPUSA/CAUCE/FedGov/God!
See my web site, at http://listen.to/davearonson (last updated 2001-03-26).
Device-driver proggers: see http://www.cryptek.com and send me your resume!

---

From: "Pat Holden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:53:22 -0400

> (DE-fragmenting the traffic is left as an exercise for the reader.)
Isn't there already some government board or agency already assigned to
defining this type of fragmentation/defragmentation?

> Opinions all MINE, not by
Cryptek/NRA/SCA/Mensa/HWG/LPUSA/CAUCE/FedGov/God!