Subject: Re: IPv9 ??

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:26:18 -0700 (PDT)

> For that matter, is anyboy using 'ST Datagram', or is v5 also
> recoverable for re-use?

According to IEN 119 -- ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/ien/ien-119.txt.1 
-- of 7 September 1979:

]         The state of the protocol is such that, while there are
] still details to be worked out, implementation could begin if the
] protocol were acceptable to those interested.

I could find no further mention of the protocol.

Most of its proposed functions seem to have been implemented by RTP, 
H.323, and various and sundry QoS implementations for telephony and
synchronous-only VOIP.  ST must have stood for 'Stream Telephony'.

IANA:  Unless you can find some evidence of implementation, please 
retire the IP protocol number 5 assignment as Historical.

Cheers,
James

---

From: "Philip J. Nesser II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:43:54 -0700

> retire the IP protocol number 5 assignment as Historical.

James,

Things might have been so informal 10, 20, or 30 years ago, but the IANA
doesn't usually take such actions when someone randomly shoots them off an
email.  If you actually care to have something happen, do the research, ask
the questions, write the internet draft, and ask the IESG to instruct the
IANA to recover the IP version number of 5.

--->  Phil

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:06:24 -0400

> I could find no further mention of the protocol.

It was implemented.  I remember, back around 1994, when I was working
on videoconferencing, one of our government (?) customers wanted to
know if we could make our A/V streams run over ST-II.  The
implementation they wanted us to work with had been written under
[D]ARPA contract, and worked with TLI, not sockets.  I don't know
whether there were ever any other implementations, or how widely it got
deployed, or whether it's still deployed.

--
/===============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own. |
|Chief Scientist |==============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Q: What goes "Pieces of 7! Pieces of 7!"? A: A|
[email-masked]|parroty error.                                |
\===============================================================/

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:59:47 -0400

> deployed, or whether it's still deployed.

ST-II was used reasonably widely on DARTnet, the early (T1-based) DARPA
test network. There are probably remnants of ST-II code in my nevot
audio tool, for example.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Mark Duffy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:33:13 -0400

>> For that matter, is anyboy using 'ST Datagram', or is v5 also
...
>retire the IP protocol number 5 assignment as Historical.

I worked on an implementation back around 1996 that saw at least some
deployment, carrying voice over ST-II.
I have no idea if it is still out there.
-Mark