Subject: london IETF information

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 14:12:12 +0100

IETFers visiting london may wish to check out a few differences
between the way europeans (and the UK is part of "yurp") say things in
english, as this is the dominant language of the IETF meeting, but of
course, american english is not the dominant dialect in blighty.

so first off, when discussing the Internet Protocol ("IP"), in common
south eastern pronunciation, be sure to say
"oy pay" (try it now with a friend - if yo uahve a copy of any brit
movies or tv shows on video, see if you can match this to, say, the
way that benny hill, or john cleese, or say hugh grant.
It is especially important to say this correctly when in a pub.

Next, of course, we do get visitors from the other side of the
channel (unless they are cut off by fog). These people are charming,
and do their utmost to speak english, with yet more variations being
bought in - thus, when discussing the next generation, be sure to say
"ee peh veh seess", when talking with a french person.
And when discoursing freely about the woes of BGP with an Italian,
make sure that youi pronounce all 3 "rs's" in "rrrouting".

now, don't get confused about the topic when a german suddenly appears
to be diverging onto tree beings in tolkein - the "ent to ent"
principle is alive and well there too.

of course, most europeans are aware that "rowting" is part of
carpentry #101 (or what happened to napolean's army  in russia), and
for once this usage will put US citizens in a minority.

note that TCP is a trade mark in england (actually its a medicinal
product), but luckily, unlike a certain company, they are not likely
to send cease and disist letters when you talk about it (perhaps we
should see if a legal firm has a prior trademark on "rake off").

if you are working on GRE, L2TP or PPTP, note that in london these are
"tube" mechanisms.

if you work on service differentiation, be aware of class, and note
that a police functions is normally referred to as balls.

with these few rules you should get by in london famously

see you in august
jon
<url:http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/ietf/>