Subject: RE: [ga] Fracturing the Internet

From: "Dassa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:57:18 +1000

|> -----Original Message-----
|> From: [email-masked]
|> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
|> Patrick Corliss
|> Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 10:21 AM
|> To: [GA]
|> Subject: [ga] Fracturing the Internet
|>
|>
|> Multilingual Top Level Domains
|> Available top level domains (TLD) in Arabic:
|> http://www.nativenames.net/english/whois/topleveldomains.asp
|>
|> Here's an example of an approach that may fracture the internet.

From
:http://www.nativenames.net/english/domains/policies/standards-warning
.asp
<QUOTE>
NativeNames is among the first pioneers to enter the arena of
multilingual domain names, and is among the first pioneers to support
languages of the Middle East, including Arabic, Farsi, and Urdu. As
with any pioneering efforts, there are dangers associated with being
first. The most important one which you, the domain name registrant,
need to be concerned about, is the evolution of standards regarding
domain names. Until the standards get hammered out and are ratified,
there is a chance of the same domain name being sold by different
companies. Should that happen with a domain that you purchase through
an affiliated registrar of NativeNames, NativeNames and that registrar
will make every good faith effort - God willing - to return any
prorated fees owed to you from the time of reporting to us of a
problem for the remaining part of your registration term.

Note that NativeNames, unlike many other registries, is virtually
unique in warning potential buyers. We are deeply concerned about
assuring you the best possible quality and service, and we appreciate
your business. Please also note that we are actively pursuing avenues
to minimize any potential problems. We are the first, and currently
the only, registry that is focusing on Mideastern languages. We also
hold a prominent role in the IETF's working group on Arabic domain
names (in fact, our COO is the chair of that group). We will do our
best to make sure that whoever you buy your domain name from, that
domain name is yours God willing.
<End QUOTE>

Wouldn't the above in the last paragraph indicate a conflict of
interest for being involved in this Registry and holding a chair in
the IETF working group?

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.

---

From: Andy Gardner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:17:17 -0500

>interest for being involved in this Registry and holding a chair in

This whole mess is one gigantic conflict of interest, isn't it Dave?

-- 
Andrew P. Gardner
barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?
We could ask ICANN to send WIPO a clue, but do they have any to spare?
Get active: http://www.domain-owners.org http://www.tldlobby.com

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:38:54 -0700

Seems NativeNames is confusing the MINC (http://www.minc.org/)
for the IETF.

  "NativeNames' COO is chairing the Arabic Working Group under
   the IETF."
  (http://www.nativenames.net/english/corporate/affiliations.asp)

NativeNames COO Jarallah Aljarallah is listed as the "interim
chair" of the "Arabic Languages WG" of the MINC
  (http://www.minc.org/WG/arabic/charter.htm)

Kurt

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:54:25 -0700

>This whole mess is one gigantic conflict of interest, isn't it Dave?

Even if the assertion were true, please note that having a
vested interest in an engineering activity of the IETF does
not prevent one from serving as WG chair (or AD) doing work
in that area.  If that were the case, 99% of our WG chairs
(and ADs) would have to resign.

Kurt