Subject: RE: Carrier Class Gateway

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:41:28 +0100 (BST)

y#On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:33:25 -0700
> From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
> To: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: Carrier Class Gateway
> 
> > There's some discussion of Panama requirements in 'The New New Thing'.
> > Not just a lock, but there's a bridge to worry about; passing under it
> > at low tide is your height limit.
> 
> i would imagine the problem would be at high, not low, tide.

oops. mea culpa.

L.

landlubber.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:16:39 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Lloyd Wood wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Randy Bush wrote:
> 

actually, not mea culpa. if you're willing to wait for low tide before
passing through, you can build a slightly taller boat...

L.

size does matter.

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:29:32 -0500

> > i would imagine the problem would be at high, not low, tide.

Not at all.  On a trip between oceans, waiting less than 12 hours for
a favorable tide is probably negligible.  And outside the locks, any
ship that fit through the locks will not block other traffic that
also fits through the locks.

(But I sure am glad I didn't send an answer to the "What is
Unused Dairy Product Helper" question.)

---

From: Peter Deutsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:11:10 -0700

> passing through, you can build a slightly taller boat...

Actually, I'm surprised nobody's yet raised the issue of fragmenting the
payload in transit and the effect this will have on traffic throughput.
As modeled so far, this seems to be an interesting case where if you
reduce the size of the payload you actually decrease throughput, since
the ship will ride higher in the water, at high *or* low tide. At the
same time, you will need to know both ship height and loaded draft to
predict channel capacity and its ability to carry a given payload
without fragmentation. Obviously, we will need to consider both channel
capacity and maximum payload size of the transport layer to properly
model traffic here...

				- peterd

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Deutsch                     work email:  [email-masked]
Director of Engineering
Edge Delivery Products
Content Networking Business Unit     private:  [email-masked]
Cisco Systems

       "There are only three types of mathematician 
             - those who can count and those who can't."

----------------------------------------------------------------------