Subject: Ownership of Domains

From: jim mcmurry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 12:25:47 -0700

I dont know if this is the right place to ask....

Is there a way to find out previous owners of domain names.  ie, the
whois lookup only shows current owner and when the record was last
updated.  Is there an entity/person out there who is keeping records of
previous owners of domain names and their transfer dates?

Thanks

Jim McMurry

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 12:29:00 -0400

> I dont know if this is the right place to ask....

In general, all questions about domain name policy and name
allocations should be addressed to ICANN (http://www.icann.org/)
and/or the administrative contact responsible for the relevant
domain.   IETF and IETF lists are definitely not the right place
to ask.
 
> Is there a way to find out previous owners of domain names.
> ie, the whois lookup only shows current owner and when the
> record was last updated.  Is there an entity/person out there
> who is keeping records of previous owners of domain names and
> their transfer dates?

In general, I don't think there has been a systematic effort to
preserve that information across the system.  Individual domain
administrators (or, to use the ICANN terminology for those cases
where it is appropriate, registrars and/or registries) might have
their own policies and systems, or might be able to retrieve
historical records if they were adequately motivated.

     john klensin