Subject: Normative Changes in Unicode 3.1 (fwd)

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:37:30 -0400

Message from Unicode Consortium.

   paf

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
To: Unicode Liaison Organizations

The Unicode Standard 3.1 was published on March 30, 2001, and can be found
on the Unicode web site at:http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr27.
Listed here for your convenience is a summary of the normative changes in
this revision of the Standard. However, we would still urge you to review
the entire document for any changes relevant to your organization.

Normative changes in Unicode 3.1:

- New character allocations: Unicode 3.1 adds 44,946 encoded characters:
42,711 new ideographs, many additional symbols, historical scripts, and tag
characters.

- Supplementary characters: Characters are now encoded beyond the original
16-bit codespace (BMP).

- Amended data files: Data files have been updated to account for
the new repertoire of characters.

- UTF-32: Unicode now has three sanctioned encoding forms: UTF-8, UTF-16,
and UTF-32.

- Noncharacters: Thirty-two more noncharacters have been added and the
status of all sixty-six noncharacters has been clarified.

- UTF-8 corrigendum: The definition of UTF-8 has been corrected for a
security issue: conformant implementations now cannot interpret
non-shortest forms for BMP characters.

- Special character properties: Music format control characters were added
to the list of special character properties.

- UAX#15 Unicode Normalization Forms:  U+FB1D YOD WITH HIRIQ has been added
to the Composition Exclusion List.

- New normative properties: All of the General Category values plus the
case mappings in UnicodeData.txt and SpecialCasing.txt are now normative;
Cn is the default value for the general category for all unassigned code
points and noncharacters.

- Normative references: The use of normative references to Unicode
properties by other specifications was clarified.

Lisa Moore
UTC Chair

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------

Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Co-Area Director, Applications Area, IETF