Subject: Wireless and Linux (802.11B)

From: "McGowan, Jeremy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:29:18 -0400

Hello,

Sorry to spam the group, but I can't find this information anywhere. Has
anyone been able to make the Compaq WL100 Wireless PCMCIA cards work with
Linux? Or any other wireless card?

Thanks,

Jeremy McGowan
Systems Consultant, MCSE, CCDA, CCNA, CCSP, Master TCP/IP Administrator, A+,
Network + 
atec|group
Technology Integration Services
1762 Central Avenue
Albany, NY 12205
Phone: 518.452.3700
Fax: 518.452.3939
Pager: 518.342.9662
<http://www.atecgroup.com/>
<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:49:06 -0400

> Linux? Or any other wireless card?

	I don't know about the Compaq card (but if it's based on the
Lucent chipset or related to the Cisco set, it's covered) but I've been
working with 802.11b under Linux for almost a year.  There are several
drivers for just about anything based on the Lucent stuff (WaveLAN,
Orinoco, RoamAbout, etc, etc, etc).  Lucent has their own drivers with
a binary library while there are also some full open source drivers.
Cisco also has open source drivers.  Just take a peek at the PCMCIA
package or look in the 2.4.x kernels.

	Full WEP encryption (for what that's worth, GAG...) supported and
both Ad-Hoc and fully managed networks supported.  There are a few loose
ends that need tying up (like access point lists and other stats) but
you got the sources for what you need.

	Check out Wireless LAN resources for Linux here:

	http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

	That includes "The Linux Wireless LAN Howto" and should cover
more than you are looking for.  :-)

> <mailto:[email-masked]> 

	Mike
-- 
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [email-masked]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
  NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
 PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!