Subject: IP roaming

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:33:44 +0200

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know what an IP roaming means?

Thanks to all.
J.R.

_________________________________________________________________
Hemos renovado nuestra web. Esperamos su visita en
http://www.telefonica-data.com

---

From: "sebastien.dorey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 18:13:34 +0200

A roaming IP will replace a current IP address with a new roaming
address.

WATCH OUT: a roaming address may be on a different subnet than the other
addresses in a department for example, which would cause departmental
servers or networked printers to fail to recognize a machine.

Now if you are on a campus or whatever a roaming IP makes it possible to
use a computer at more than one location on campus to connect to the
Internet.
This means:
 - You do not need to know your IP address to use your computer in
different locations.
 - You do not need to change the network configuration of your computer
when moving
 from classroom to classroom.  An IP address will be set in your
computer automatically
 where ever you are on campus when you connect to an active ethernet
outlet. You can use
 your laptop to connect directly to the Internet in any office,
classroom, computing site or
 library on the Newark campus.  Changes in network settings will be
udated on your machine
 automatically.
I hope this explanation and this example will you to understand what is
IP roaming

Sebastien

--
What's important is not simplicity or complexity, but how you bridge the two.
                                                    Larry Wall, Aug. 25, 1998
Bsn  :(+33) (0)1.55.66.70.93
url :http://www.epita.fr/~dorey_s                Pager:(+33) (0)6.57.56.60.42

---

From: "Chunquan Fan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 08:49:42 +0800

Hi, may I add a question?  Thanks.

What's the relationship of IP roaming with mobile IP and DHCP?

According to your introduction, it seems that IP roaming is very alike to
DHCP, except that the server is automatically detected other than
configured? Is my understanding right?

And I think mobile IP may provide a better and all in one solution than this
tech.

Regards!

Fan
----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: IP roaming

>                                                     Larry Wall, Aug. 25,
1998