Subject: IPv6

From: "Don McMorris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:32:02 -0400

Hello.  I am wondering a couple things about IPv6.

1.  Which operating systems currently support it?  I irun RedHat linux, and it does not, to my knowlege.
2.  Are ISP's dynamically assigning IPv6 addresses?  If so, which are they?

I am learning the structure of Domain Names and IPv4.  I know many ISP's only use IPv4 right now.  I would like to get my feet wet in v6.  Thank you in advance!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:05:08 -0400

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:32:02 EDT, Don McMorris <[email-masked]>  said:

> 1.  Which operating systems currently support it?  I irun RedHat linux, =
> and it does not, to my knowlege.

RedHat Linux 7.1 supports it just fine - am running a 2.4.5 kernel with
the USAGI IPv6 patches and it works.  Some Assembly Required though.

http://www.ipv6.org has a lot of references.  In particular, there's
a "who runs it" list at http://www.ipv6.org/impl/index.html - the Unix
list seems to include all the major players except SGI.

http://www.linux-ipv6.org will get you started for Linux.

http://www.bieringer.de/linux/IPv6/  is a good source as well.

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:44:57 +0300 (EEST)

> the USAGI IPv6 patches and it works.  Some Assembly Required though.
[snip]

Funny that this came up now.  I just a few minutes ago announced a free
Linux host/router "product" based on Red Hat Linux 7.1.

No assembly required. :-)

For more information, please see: http://www.csc.fi/~psavola/ipv6/

--8<--
I'm pleased to announce packaged, IPv6-enabled Linux host/router based on
Red Hat Linux 7.1.  This is a free project, aiming at making it _easy_ and
_quick_ to set up a small-scale IPv6 router or workstation.

These free "products" include IPv6-enabled key applications, tuned
initialization scripts, secure default settings, documentation on setting
up a few common setups and more.

"Router" ISO and "Workstation" ISO's are available for download at
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/csc/ipv6/ and the systems are also installable
over FTP/HTTP.

More information is available at:

http://www.csc.fi/~psavola/ipv6/
--8<--

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:46:47 -0700

>  2.  Are ISP's dynamically assigning IPv6 addresses?  If so, which 
 
Some may be, but a simple way to get started is to tunnel over IPv4.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3056.txt

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:08:45 +0900

>and it does not, to my knowlege.

	http://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/html/ipng-main.html#IMPLEMENT
	http://www.ipv6.org/impl/index.html

>2.  Are ISP's dynamically assigning IPv6 addresses?  If so, which are =
>they?

	i don't think there are dialup IPv6 ISPs yet.  however, you can
	still use RFC2529 (if your operating system supports it).

itojun