Subject: Re: Demise of the 'Internet Report'

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:36:32 -0700 (PDT)

Robert G. Ferrell writes:
>
>... The U.S. government has decided that my "Internet Report" site, where I
> summarized the drafts and RFCs issued each week in tabular format, was
> "inappropriate" and even a "political embarrassment" because it had
> no direct bearing on the mission of my agency....

Untrue.  The use of the Internet to convey siesmological information 
was well established in 1991, when USGS was given a great deal of free 
bandwidth.  The web is still used for the same purpose today, as is 
NNTP and email.

Perhaps whoever said that wanted to revive the UUCP host siesmo, one of 
the central hubs of UUCP, the original peer-to-peer file sharing system.

Someone needs to ask what kind of redundancy the USGS expects given the 
next major metropolitan earthquake, compared to what level would be 
appropriate.  I still remember seeing the relevant documents in the 
Government Depository Library in Charleston, West Virginia (main capitol 
complex, top floor of library, out the elevator, about twelve paces on
the left, third shelf from the bottom.)

Cheers,
James

---

From: Austin Bill-P23393 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:50:48 -0700

AzTeC Computing Free-Net would be willing to take a look at the size of the site and if it is within our available resources we could provide the space for you to continue this resource.  Only FTP access would be available to update the site and the url would be http://aztec.asu.edu/<whatever>  We have been providing free web hosting space for selected non-profit uses since 1994.

Bill Austin, President and Webmaster
AzTeC Computing Free-Net
http://aztec.asu.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert G. Ferrell [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 7:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Demise of the 'Internet Report'

Hi folks,

Sorry about spamming the list with this, but it seemed better than simply 
disappearing without an explanation.

The U.S. government has decided that my "Internet Report" site, where I 
summarized the drafts and RFCs issued each week in tabular format, was 
"inappropriate" and even a "political embarrassment" because it had 
no direct bearing on the mission of my agency and must therefore 
be taken down. I'll try to find some other place to put it up, but since it 
catalogs all IETF draft and RFC activity back to 6/99, as well as providing 
a local RFC mirror, it might be larger than I can comfortably fit on 
my Web site at my personal ISP.

I know from my logs that a couple thousand folks had it bookmarked; I 
sincerely apologize for this incident.  I'm bummed, but there's not 
much I can do about it.  C'est la vie.

Cheers,

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
========================================
 Who goeth without humor goeth unarmed.
========================================