Subject: RE: The IETF Sounds Like "The B.ORG"

From: Paul Georgiou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:46:44 -0400

When it comes to assimilation and the "offer" of perfection, does Microsoft
fall into this category as well ? It is becoming far too ubiquitous within
the business community for comfort.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Fleming
To: [email-masked]; Brian Lloyd
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: 6/26/01 12:09 AM
Subject: The IETF Sounds Like "The B.ORG"

http://www.trekcollective.com/borg.html

The IETF Sounds Like "The B.ORG"

http://www.trekcollective.com/borg.html
"The Borg are a species of half organic, half cybernetic organisms whose
sole purpose is to become perfect, and to offer others that perfection.
Offer is really the wrong word to use when referring to the Borg. They
treat
all other races as inferior to theirs, and therefore assimilate, to use
their term, all species into their "Collective", believing that they are
giving that species what it really wants."

Does the IETF only develop perfect protocols ?

Is IPv6 perfect ?

Are -B.ORG Domain Names used by IETF Members ?

Is .ORG controlled by the ICANN BORG ?

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com
Mars 128n 128e
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/start.asp
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12213.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12223.html

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Brian Lloyd" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: I am *NOT* a believer in the democratic process.

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:01:03 PDT, Brian Lloyd said:
> > threshing process.  I see entirely too little threshing going on in
the
> > IETF these days.  I think we worry to much that people will get
their
> > little feelers hurt.
>
> Send them my way.  I'm renowned for my ability to tell almost anybody,
> in excruciating detail, exactly why their idea is dumber than a box
> of rocks. ;)
>
> > So let 'em build their protocol, whatever it is, and bring it to the
> > IETF.  The problems with a really bad protocol can be extremely
educational
> > and entertaining.  The elegance of a really good protocol can be
extremely
> > educational and entertaining.  I don't see how we can lose.
>
> Actually, a Really Bad Protocol is usually dreadfully excruciatingly
> painful, unless somebody performs an MST on it.  For those not
> familiar with it, see http://www.scifi.com/mst3000/ for the TV show,
> or
http://brie.bmsc.washington.edu/people/merritt/books/Eye_of_Argon.html
> for an example of the concept.
>
> Now, maybe if we had more protocol reviews like that... ;)
>
> /Valdis
>