Subject: spamming of IETF WG lists by IEEE conferences

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:44:07 -0400

I don't suppose IETF could formally object to IEEE for the latter's
spamming of certain IETF WG mailing lists?   A couple of the lists
that I maintain have been repeatedly spammed by IEEE conference
announcements.  The response to my complaints has generally been that
the guy who did the spamming got the list from higher-ups at IEEE,
so he's not responsible...

Keith

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:25:52 -0700

> so he's not responsible...

It might be worth considering whether that's accurate information
before bothering. Having coordinated publicity for IEEE and ACM,
neither organization provides email lists. The ultimate 
responsibility lies with the publicity chair and general chair 
of the particular conference, or block mail from recurrent
offenders.

Joe

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:59:41 -0400

> before bothering.

all I have to go on is what the spammer tells me.  
no, I don't expect a spammer to be honest, but what else can we do
besides formally contact the organization and ask them about it?

Keith

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:55:56 +0100 (BST)

> besides formally contact the organization and ask them about it?

Well, you could whine about it on [email-masked] and hope someone does
it for you.

(just a suggestion.)

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>