Subject: I-D archives available anywhere?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:17:49 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

I don't see the old versions of Internet Drafts available anywhere.

For comparing what changed between I-D releases, storing at least a few
revisions in old/ directory would help if you want to check for changes
with e.g. diff(1).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:12:52 -0400

> revisions in old/ directory would help if you want to check for changes

The problem with this, of course, is that 'diff' is notoriously bad at
distinguising between semantic and syntactic changes.  For instance, if
the author inserts one word on the first line of the paragraph, and the
text is reflowed, 'diff' will report a large change.

Try diffing the preceeding paragraph with the following:

The problem with this, of course, is that most 'diff' are notoriously bad
at distinguishing between semantic and syntactic changes.  For instance,
if the author inserts one word on the first line of the paragraph,
and the text is reflowed, 'diff' will report a large change.

And *NO*, this is *NOT* a 'we need to use XML/HTML/etc' - we haven't waited
the requisite 6 months before re-starting that flame war. ;)

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech