Subject: Re: I am *NOT* a believer in the democratic process.

From: Gordon Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:51:24 -0400

>  > COOK:  good lord keith....  Surely stef's whole point is that the
>>  Area Directors, IESG, and IAB need only accept work that WAS good
>>  enough from THEIR own point of view.
>>
>>  it sounds like you are saying that it simply is not possible to
>>  construct anything that could even merit IETF review unless you did
>>  the construction from scratch within all the channels of the IETF?
>
>No, I'm only saying that it's wrong to encourage people to do their
>work independently of IETF if they want/expect IETF to endorse it.
>
>When other groups do standards work, that work should bear the name
>of the group that did the work.  IETF's name should not be used to
>lend credibility to other groups.

OK....now to me at least your answer is clear and much harder to 
quibble with......

but did i misunderstand steff?

thought he was suggesting that work developed outside could be 
brought to the IETF structure that was well baked and mature and that 
the keepers of the structure might at least want to entertain the 
possibility  that it could be scrutinized and that, if found worthy, 
an IETF blessed version emerge?

>
>>  If so it sounds like you are determined to keep the views of the
>>  current AD's, IESG and IAB as a gate through which ALL ideas must
>>  pass and are saying that it is flat out impossible for anyone to
>>  develop working code that could pass the scrutiny test. 
>
>Not at all.  I'm just saying that we shouldn't call it IETF work when
>it's done elsewhere.
>
>Keith

-- 
****************************************************************
The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax) [email-masked]   Index to 9 years
  of the COOK  Report at http://cookreport.com         From now 
through Sept 30th
half price sale on university library site license and access to ALL 
back issues.
Site license $575 and all back  issues $300.  http://cookreport.com/sale.shtml
****************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:02:34 +0100

No doubt Hitler thought the same.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Lloyd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 25 June 2001 00:51
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I am *NOT* a believer in the democratic process.
<snip>

So, as I see it, it is the few rather than the many, who do the good 
work.  

<snip>

Brian Lloyd
[email-masked]
+1.530.676.1113 - voice
+1.360.838.9669 - fax

---

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 06:17:27 -0400

> No doubt Hitler thought the same.

Oh, good, this thread is now (according to Godwin's Law) terminated, so it
will stop filling my mailbox with worthless junk.

        Noel