Subject: Re: earlier agendas

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:24:23 -0500 (EST)

I can see it either way:

1) assume people will just go to the WGs they are most involved in,
and facilitate as well as possible people going for the minimum number
of days (which means publishing agendas as early as possible, with
caveats that they might change). Discourage people from attending
anything they haven't been following. Make it boring and incomprehensible
on purpose for people who haven't been involved in that WG, so that
you don't get "tourists", or

2) assume cross-fertilization is good. That it's good for people
to get exposed to other WGs. Realize people can't follow
the mailing list of more than a few groups. Encourage "tourists"
at WGs by explaining what's going on. Perhaps starting out with
a 15 minute explanation of what the current controversies are.
So that someone that is generally knowledgeable but hasn't been
following some WG can pick up most of what's happening by attending
the meeting. Frankly, I think this would be a good idea, for many
reasons, including it would force the WG to summarize what it's
up to, which would help them organize their thoughts technically.
So the WG itself would benefit, not just the tourists.

Radia

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 08:56:38 -0500

Radia Perlman wrote:

>Perhaps starting out with

Or, alternatively, providing such an explanation on the WG's Web page, so 
people can read it in advance rather than taking up meeting time.

/================================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer             |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.        |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.        |
|================================================================|
|"I said no camels! That's 5 camels! Can't you count?" -- Indiana|
|Jones & TLC                                                     |
\================================================================/