Subject: Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:52:17 -0500

>> entirely agree.  and you can tell a lot about me by
>> watching the temperature sensors at my house
>> (http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/home_temp.html)
>
>Such as what?

Whether he's gone on vacation, probably--since he's at a .edu, there's a 
good chance he gets a week or two off at Christmas; if he goes away at 
that time, he'll probably turn down his thermostat before he goes, and 
it'll show up on the sensors.  A water meter would be an even more 
reliable indicator.

Burglars, obviously, prefer to break into empty houses; watching every 
house in town is too much work, but having a tool do it for you over the 
net would be easy.

Hmm.  I bet the current data-over-water-pipes meters are subject to 
tapping--since the pipes run into everybody's home, it'd be like a shared 
Ethernet.  With the right cable (say, a single wire from the pipe to the 
serial port, maybe with an amplifier), and a bit of software, you could 
monitor your neighbors' water usage.  The water companies probably didn't 
think to encrypt the data.  Once again, trusting the topology is a Bad 
Thing.

/=======================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.|
|=======================================================|
|A mime is a wonderful thing to waste.                  |
\=======================================================/

---

From: "Kenton Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:16:20 -0600

If the url of Keith's home monitoring can be part of the equation,
one must not overlook that he is not only an .edu, but at the University
of Tennessee, in Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 USA.

On UTK's website you will find academic holidays;
as well as Keith's office location, phone numbers,
and title Dist. Res. Prf-CompSci.

His business card on the contact page, reveals the exact location of his
personal home page, http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/of,
where one may find additional information on his past works and hacks for
fun.

Then go to http://www.lycos.com for a people search, and locate his home
number and house with a map and directions.

Need anything else?

Kenton

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of John
Stracke
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 8:52 AM
To: IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: Why IPv6 is a must?