Subject: Re: Splitting the IETF-Announce list?

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:48:57 -0500

>I am interested in getting all of the posts to the IETF-Announce list 
>*except* for the greatest bulk of those posts: Internet Draft 
>announcements.

But most of the rest of the traffic is meeting announcements, and meetings 
go better when everyone's read the Drafts.

/=======================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.|
|=======================================================|
|Newt Nuggets!                                          |
\=======================================================/

---

From: "Ian King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:11:37 -0800

WONDERFUL idea.  I get I-D announcements from the groups whose lists I
join.  -- Ian 

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Resnick [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 2:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Splitting the IETF-Announce list?

I am interested in getting all of the posts to the IETF-Announce list 
*except* for the greatest bulk of those posts: Internet Draft 
announcements. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one who 
would prefer if the I-D announcements were on a separate mailing 
list. Would it be possible to implement this? If I am correct and 
there are an awful lot of people who are uninterested in I-D 
announcements, it would cut down on outgoing mail of the secretariat 
substantially.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
QUALCOMM Incorporated

---

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:03:36 -0500

At 4:02 PM -0600 11/13/01, Pete Resnick wrote:
> I am interested in getting all of the posts to the IETF-Announce
> list *except* for the greatest bulk of those posts: Internet Draft
> announcements.

So, we split into two lists... IDs and other stuff.

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> To many of us, seeing the names and titles of new -00 drafts is as
> interesting as seeing RFC announcements.

Err...  Maybe three: ID00, IDxx and other stuff.

And, what if someone only cares to see RFC annoucements?  Or last
call announcements?  Or stuff about nomcom?  Or meeting
announcements?  Or whatever...  This seems like it should be left to
individuals to filter as they see fit.

(Unless we have some notion that this would lead to a non-trivial
savings to the secratariet.)

allman

---
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/