Subject: RTSP syntax definition incomplete.

From: Johan Gerhardsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:42:54 +0100

Hello,
requesting comments from anyone who has worked with RTSP design,
implementation or deployment.

If I were to make an RTSP proxy, is it possible to change the SETUP response
(from server to the proxy) and add the 'source' parameter in the 'transport'
header field to be: source=<address of server> before forwarding the message
to the client? 
The purpose of this action would be to instruct an access router to have the
media (RTP) packets (from server destined to the proxy) redirected to the
client instead of the proxy. The client would then see that the source
address of the media packets is equal to the server address and not the
proxy. 

In reading RFC 2326, Real Time Streaming Protocol the Transport parameter
named 'source' is mentioned (on page 59) but not defined in the syntax
definition (on page 61). I hope this is just a typo cause I want to use this
mechanism for the purpose described above.

Does anyone see a problem with this scenario?

Johan Gerhardsson
Reddo Networks AB
email: [email-masked]
phone: +46 (0)73 942 2436
http://reddo.net
Livdjursgatan 4 
12162 Johanneshov, Stockholm, Sweden

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:47:01 +0100

Hi Johan,

It is a known error in the RTSP specification. I can't really tell if your
scenario is okey. You should forward your question to the MMUSIC WG, mailing
list is [email-masked], which created the RTSP protocol.

Regards

Magnus

--

Magnus Westerlund

Audio Technology, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson Radio Systems AB  | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]