Subject: RE: Why IPv6 is a must?

From: "Ian King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:20:46 -0800

Huh?  I've been running PPTP over NAT for years - I'm doing it right
now.  But it would be great if the ISPs began to migrate; tools (e.g.
tunneling) are available to allow them to do so even if their upstreams
lag.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Rinka Singh [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 5:50 AM
To: J. Noel Chiappa; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

That's right today.

Another 5 years later you would be singing a different tune. -
scalability, better bandwidth management (a.k.a QOS), mobile devices,
internet appliances will nail v4 down - UMTS will add some spice to the
pot.  I agree a user cannot do much unless the ISPs and Org
routers/switches deploy v6.  But that's not too far away as more
sophisticated uses come up.

Incidentally, have you tried running apps like ftp over IPsec or
L2TP/PPTP over NAT.

Rinka.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:30:12 +0000 (GMT)

I don't get this thread.

Surely IPv6 is a SHOULD?

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>