Subject: Splitting the IETF list

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:30:27 -0800

Hi,

I would like the IESG to consider splitting this list into 2 lists.
One list for discussion of Last Call issues and another for
everything else (including minor stuff like splitting the
IETF-Announce or IETF lists :-)

thanks,
Andy

---

From: grenville armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:44:57 -0800

I'm getting a splitting headache....

gja

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:29:16 +0100

Andy,

I don't see how this will help. The nonsense messages will still come,
from the usual sources, often copied to both lists, which will only
increase the level of annoyance.

[Splitting the -announce list doesn't have this disadvantage.]

   Brian

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:27:12 -0800

>increase the level of annoyance.

IETF Last Call is a critical part of the Standards Process.
It's our last chance to do a cross-domain sanity check on
new technology, and give this input to the IESG, before
they decide to approve a standard or not.

These critical emails comprise less than 1 percent of
the traffic on the IETF list. (My unscientific survey says...)
I wouldn't characterize the other 99% as pure noise, maybe just 95%.

I know of several longtime IETFers who ignore this list because
of S/N ratio is so bad.  If there was a [email-masked] mailing list,
more people might make Last Call comments.  People who
post off-topic messages will be shouted off the list and
if they keep doing it, they will be blocked from posting.

Andy

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:25:27 +0100

Andy,

I believe that comments on proposed new WGs are also very critical,
since they determine where the IETF puts its resources. So if there
was to be a split, I would put Last Call *and* WG Review comments
both on the new list. I just doubt that it will get rid of the noise;
I have about 50 filters to do that for me.

   Brian