Subject: "Guidelines for the Use of XML in IETF Protocols"

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 11:47:48 -0800

Abstract:
   The eXtensible Markup Language (XML) is a framework for structuring
   data.  While it evolved from SGML -- a markup language primarily
   focused on structuring documents -- XML has evolved to be a widely-
   used mechanism for representing structured data.

   There are a wide variety of Internet protocols; many have need for a
   representation for structured data relevant to their application.
   There has been much interest in the use of XML as a representation
   method.  This document describes basic XML concepts, analyzes various
   alternatives in the use of XML, and provides guidelines for the use
   of XML within IETF standards-track protocols.

Intended Publication Status
   It is the goal of the authors that this draft (when completed and
   then approved by the IESG) be published as a Best Current Practice
   (BCP).

Submitted to the Internet Drafts, but available now at
   http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-use/draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guide.txt
or
   http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-use/draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guide.html

with a mailing list [email-masked] , archive at
   http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-use/index.html

   "To subscribe to the mailing list, send a message to
   [email-masked] with the single word subscribe
   in the body of the message. To unsubscribe from the list, use
   that same address with the single word unsubscribe in the body
   of the message."

Larry
-- 
http://larry.masinter.net