Subject: RE: Article: Mobile security flaw delivers yet another blow to IPv6

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 15:00:01 -0400

> From: [email-masked]

    >> Full article at http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0402mobileip.html  

    > The article that you are pointing to is over a year old. 

Oh, I can't resist this! Here's the most recent article from Network World
about IPv6:

    "Looking Back on a Few Tech Trends That Weren't"
	http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2002/0121eye.html

Hmm, maybe it's time to move IPv6 to "Historical"? :-) (Just kidding -
for now.)

	Noel

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 00:49:33 -0700

At 3:06 PM -0500 3/25/02, Meritt James wrote:
>"It's a setback for those who are eager to get IPv6 out there," says
>Steve Deering, a Cisco engineer who helped design IPv6 and serves on the
>IETF's Internet Architecture Board. "The Mobile IP working group has
>been working on this since 1991. It's been a long process.""

And at 6:29 PM -0500 3/26/02, Meritt James wrote:
>Actually, I was more interested in the quote rather than the IPv6.  You
>notice that the portion I extracted (which contained the quote) was NOT
>the lead in, or summary article.  It was a position taken by a person
>that we know for for those who were not in attendance.

James,

As noted, this was from a year ago, when the Mobile IPv6 spec was sent
back to the working group to come up with a different approach to
authenticating binding updates (which they have now done).  Although
the quotes are accurate, they are combined in a misleading way.  The
Mobile IP group obviously has not been working on IPv6 mobility since
1991; that's (approximately) when it started working on IPv*4* mobility.

The article included several other, more serious distortions and
exaggerations of what I said (as almost always happens, as anyone who
talks to journalists knows), starting with the title.  Please don't
take it as an accurate report of what really happened or what I thought
or said about it.

Steve