Subject: Does Xcast belong to Routing Area ?

From: "Jiwoong Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:10:18 +0900

One thought came to my mind; Xcast may belong to Internet Area, rather than
Routing Area.

Stateless characteristic of Xcast, and therefore signal-less characteristic
of Xcast may be connected to the basic architecturing of the original
Internet.

BTW does somebody know what exactly Internet Area is ? Plz leave a good url.

Jiwoong

---

From: IMAI Yuji <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:15:58 +0900

Jiwoong,

  I remember it was historic reason why we have discussed XCAST
  in Routing Area. In the IETF on Washington DC in 1999, I, Wim
  and Rick started to work on unified XCAST protocol. At that
  time, Dave Oran, the past routing area director, managed to
  find "new multicast approach" and that was a major topic of
  the routing area meeting in Washington DC. We had a short time
  slot to show our approach with a couple of slides.

  In next IETF meeting in Adelaide, MADDOGS(Multicast
  Directorate) held organized by routing area
  co-directors. XCAST team had a chance to make longer
  presentation. As we could get interests from attendant to some
  degree, we had a first BoF in Pittsburgh under routing area.

  After BoF we discussed with both of routing area directors and
  Internet area directors. In that meeting, someone make same
  question as you. "Routing Area is good area for XCAST?"

  I consider Internet area may be better because we already have
  several topic that seems not the routing topic, for example
  XCAST+, XCAST over Ethernet and SIP for XCAST.

  But we had to negotiate with IESG. Before they forget what is
  the XCAST. :-)
----
Yuji

From: "Jiwoong Lee" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Does Xcast belong to Routing Area ?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:10:18 +0900