Subject: IP over MPEG-2 Transport

From: Dr G Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:56:09 +0100

I was passed your details, and thought it you may be interested
in the following. We are very keen to make this an open discussion,
and would like as many contributors as possible - even if it should
ultimately prove to be a venture which is undertaken outside
of this group.

If you have any questions, do email me, or join the list (see below).

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst

----

Invitation to join a discussion list.

This email describes a discussion list which will develop a framework
for efficient transport of IPv4 and IPv6 Datagrams over ISO MPEG-2
Transport Streams (TS). The MPEG-2 TS has been widely accepted not
only for providing digital TV services, but also as a subnetwork
technology for building IP networks. One example is the Digital
Video Broadcast (DVB), specified by standards published by the
European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI).

The mailing list intends to produce a sreis of IP-related documents.
These are likely to also be suited other similar MPEG-2 based
transmission systems (e.g., the Advanced Television Systems
Committee (ATSC) system).

General information is at:

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/ip-dvb/

The current ID's issued by this group are:

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-clausen-ipdvb-enc-00.txt
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-req-00.txt

You are invited to join this list, which hopes soon to hold
an IETF BoF on this subject.

The email list ([email-masked]) is currently closed
and therefore to particpate you must first join, by sending:

"subscribe ip-dvb"

in the BODY part of an email to:

"[email-masked]"

(Don't type the quotes!) The subject field is not used.

This is a public mailing list for technical discussions only. Messages
sent to the mailing list will be readable by all members. Users of the
mailing list should not post company confidential information to this
address.

----------

Gorry Fairhurst
University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK.

---

From: Einar Stefferud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:13:59 -0700

If the IETF can tolerate and support IP over Carrier-Pidgin work, 
then surly they can tolerate and support IP over MPEG-2 Transport.

Besides, anyone that wants to avoid the subject is perfectly free to do so.

And, in the meantime, IP penetrates yet another unreachable segment.

"Period" -- Full Stop...\Stef