Subject: RE: where the indirection layer belongs

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:38:30 -0700

IMHO the only place to put the ID/LOC indirection layer (I would say
sub-layer) that does not break a million things is:

              Current           Model with
               Model            indirection

Session    :           :       :           :
           +=====+=====+       +=====+=====+
Transport  | TCP | UDP |       | TCP | UDP |
           +=====+=====+       +=====+=====+
           |           |       |  ID/LOC   |
Network    |   IPv6    |       +-----------+
           |           |       |   IPv6    |
           +===========+  ==>  +===========+
           |    LLC    |       |    LLC    |
Data Link  +-----------+       +-----------+
           |    MAC    |       |    MAC    |
           +===========+       +===========+
Physical   | Ethernet  |       | Ethernet  |
           +===========+       +===========+

Michel.

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:12:44 +0300

> sub-layer) that does not break a million things is:

I like the third stack, added to the right, even more.  A kinda
new waist for the stack.  OTOH, I think that most probably
something new is also needed at L4-L7, but I am not quite sure
yet what.

> 
>               Current           Model with          HIP model
>                Model            indirection
> 
>            :           :       :           :      :           :  
>            +=====+=====+       +=====+=====+      +=====+=====+
> Transport  | TCP | UDP |       | TCP | UDP |      | TCP | UDP |
>            +=====+=====+       +=====+=====+      +=====+=====+
>            |           |       |  ID/LOC   |      |  ID/LOC   |
> Network    |   IPv6    |       +-----------+      +=====+=====+
>            |           |       |   IPv6    |      | IPv4|IPv6 |
>            +===========+  ==>  +===========+      +=====+=====+
>            :           :       :           :      :           :  

--Pekka Nikander