Subject: Developing software for IETF/IRTF groups

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:27:56 -0400

Hi,

I co-chair the ASRG at the IRTF and we have been looking around for some 
software to help us manage our group's website. Due to the large size of 
our RG and many proposals being submitted to it, we have been looking at 
a document repository primarily, with some additional tools that might 
help as well. Dave Willis of SIP WG has developed some document 
management tools that are used on their site 
(http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/) which we have been considering using 
as well. However, their tools do not interface with the IETF's Internet 
draft database because they support other formats besides ASCII, PDF and 
PS. The Internet drafts tools provided by the IETF itself have been 
insufficient for our purposes.

My questions to you folks is whether the IETF/IRTF has been considering 
using or developing some form of software for managing working groups 
and research groups aside from what is being used now. Have folks 
considered taking existing open source software and adapting it for the 
IETF? I am sure that there are plenty of coders and volunteers in the 
IETF/IRTF that can cook something up.

Well, just a thought....

Yakov

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:32:37 -0400

Yakov,

there is a currently rather quiet list - [email-masked] - which was 
supposed to discuss, among other things, software tools to support WG 
activities.

You might want to ask your question there.
I've heard of people using various sorts of document repositories, 
including CVS and WEBDAV, but have not heard of stuff developed 
specifically for IETF WGs.

                    Harald