Subject: conclusion for ALL YOUR WILDCARDS

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:08:13 -0400

folks,

It should be obvious by now that there are people who stubbornly believe
that Big Companies have the Inalienable Right to screw Hundreds of Millions
of Individual Users if it makes them lots of money and if it doesn't happen to
violate the letter of an IETF protocol.  Presumably those same people would
defend Hitler [*].  Still, people will believe what they want to believe.
In general, trying to teach things to people with read-only minds is an
exercise in futility.  Trying to do it on the IETF list is a futile waste
of bandwidth.

IAB has produced a far better statement of the nature of the problem than
anything that has been written here.  And while I believe the IAB statement is
somewhat weaker than it should have been, I don't see how the IETF list is
likely to do better.

Keith

[*] Having gratuitiously invoked the name of the modern epitome of Pure Evil,
by Godwin's Law, I now hereby declare the discussion closed.  (Nominations for
successors to this role should be sent in private mail only.)

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:30:07 +0859 ()

Keith;

Your mistake (or, is it intentional?) is to have narrowed the focus
of the discussion that your point is on a minor protocol issue of
an e-mail protocol.

Yes, you should conclude it.

> exercise in futility.

Exactly.

						Masastaka Ohta