Subject: Re: FW: Virus alert

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:47:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 [email-masked] wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:00:45 EDT, shogunx said:
> > On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Dean Anderson wrote:
> >
> > > Open source kernels aren't immune. They just aren't at focus this time.
> >
> > If a worm is executing visual basic code, then i think i am pretty darn
> > immune.
>
> Google for the Lion worm, and quit smirking.  Like he said, the gun isn't
> pointed at you THIS time.

I remember that one.  Nasty too.  From this assessment:

http://www.sans.org/y2k/lion.htm

it appears that keeping your daemons up to date, proper packet filtering
and competent sysadmining as preventative measures would stop it cold in
its tracks.  I see your point though.  No smirking happening here, just
appreciation for then open-source community as a whole, and the choices
that led me to being in a situation where my networks are unaffected by
this particular bit of malicious code.

Enjoy,
Scott

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:43:32 -0400