Subject: Developing software for IETF/IRTF groups

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:50:11 -0400

Hello,

I posted a message a while back about using or writing specialized tools 
for IETF/IRTF WGs/RGs. Unfortunatly it got lost in the Verisign 
discussion. I wanted to repost my original message to see if anyone has 
any comments on this topic. My original message appears below.

Yakov
--------------------
Hi,

I co-chair the ASRG at the IRTF and we have been looking around for some
software to help us manage our group's website. Due to the large size of
our RG and many proposals being submitted to it, we have been looking at
a document repository primarily, with some additional tools that might
help as well. Dave Willis of SIP WG has developed some document
management tools that are used on their site
(http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/) which we have been considering using
as well. However, their tools do not interface with the IETF's Internet
draft database because they support other formats besides ASCII, PDF and
PS. The Internet drafts tools provided by the IETF itself have been
insufficient for our purposes.

My questions to you folks is whether the IETF/IRTF has been considering
using or developing some form of software for managing working groups
and research groups aside from what is being used now. Have folks
considered taking existing open source software and adapting it for the
IETF? I am sure that there are plenty of coders and volunteers in the
IETF/IRTF that can cook something up.

Well, just a thought....

Yakov