Subject: Spammers using IETF meeting attendance lists

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:52:06 +0100

I've just received a spam addressed to an email address that I used (only) 
for registering a past IETF meeting.  I don't know what is the current 
policy for releasing such email addresses.

Just offering a datum, not making any concrete suggestions.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:48:24 -0600

It means that at least one person that processed the registrations
was using a windows system that is now infected. That stupid
blaster virus then sent email with a forged From line as if it was
sent from you, then the spammers picked up that never released email
address and added it to their spam list.

Makes me wonder if the virus was build by someone wanting to find
a lot of valid email addresses that were not otherwise available.

Graham Klyne wrote:
> I've just received a spam addressed to an email address that I used 
> (only) for registering a past IETF meeting.  I don't know what is the 
> current policy for releasing such email addresses.
> 

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:31:57 +0100

> a lot of valid email addresses that were not otherwise available.

A simpler explanation is that the proceedings on the IETF website 
include a list of attendees, with email addresses...
Colin