Subject: conclusion for ALL YOUR WILDCARDS

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:08:13 -0400

folks,

It should be obvious by now that there are people who stubbornly believe
that Big Companies have the Inalienable Right to screw Hundreds of Millions
of Individual Users if it makes them lots of money and if it doesn't happen to
violate the letter of an IETF protocol.  Presumably those same people would
defend Hitler [*].  Still, people will believe what they want to believe.
In general, trying to teach things to people with read-only minds is an
exercise in futility.  Trying to do it on the IETF list is a futile waste
of bandwidth.

IAB has produced a far better statement of the nature of the problem than
anything that has been written here.  And while I believe the IAB statement is
somewhat weaker than it should have been, I don't see how the IETF list is
likely to do better.

Keith

[*] Having gratuitiously invoked the name of the modern epitome of Pure Evil,
by Godwin's Law, I now hereby declare the discussion closed.  (Nominations for
successors to this role should be sent in private mail only.)

---

From: "Laird, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:50:07 +1000

Vint wrote:
>if there is a strong ietf consensus that this practice should be ended,
>it would be helpful to find a way to express that, to add to the
>expressions from iab and secsac.

There seems to be only one person on this mailing list who does not agree
that the practice is inappropriate.

Maybe we should put together a summary of the discussion and send it to
ICANN?

--James

Disclaimer: Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material
contained in this email is free from computer viruses or other defects, the
attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the
user assumes all par responsibility for the use of the material transmitted.
The email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information, distribution or copying that is
confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify
us immediately by return email and destroy the original message.

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:55:06 -0400

if you do that, I hope you will edit to manageable and understandable proportions...
:-/
v

>Maybe we should put together a summary of the discussion and send it to

Vint Cerf
SVP Technology Strategy
MCI
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115
Ashburn, VA 20147
703 886 1690 (v806 1690)
703 886 0047 fax
[email-masked]
www.mci.com/cerfsup