Subject: Hurricane Isabel and ietf.org

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:32:04 -0400 (EDT)

The machines that serve the IETF are located in the track of Hurricane 
Isabel, which is expected to impact the East Coast of the United States on 
Thursday.  There are currently two servers:

www1.ietf.org (in Reston, Virginia)
www2.ietf.org (in Natick, Massachusetts)

The Reston site hosts the mail server, all of the Web pages, and the Web 
site search engine.  The Natick Web server is a mirror of the Reston Web 
server, except for the Web archives of the mail.  The address www.ietf.org 
points to both servers.

As a protective measure, many servers in the Reston office will be powered
off starting as of 1400 EDT.  Mail to ietf.org will not be processed until
the servers are brought back on-line.  If the Reston office has a
powerfailure, the Web archives of the mail, and the Web search engine will
not be available.  If the Web server you are pointing to is not
responding, then please attempt to use the direct addresses of both
servers to access the pages.

Please be sure that the technical team will be working to restore these 
services as quickly as possible.

Thank you in advance for your understanding in this matter.

The IETF Secretariat