Subject: Hurricane Isabel and ietf.org

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:55:30 -0400 (EDT)

The machines that serve the IETF are located in the track of Hurricane 
Isabel, which is expected to impact the East Coast of the United States on 
Thursday.  There are currently two servers:

www1.ietf.org (in Reston, Virginia)
www2.ietf.org (in Natick, Massachusetts)

The Reston site hosts the mail server, all of the Web pages, and the Web 
site search engine.  The Natick Web server is a mirror of the Reston Web 
server, except for the Web archives of the mail.  The address www.ietf.org 
points to both servers.

As a protective measure several servers in the Reston office will be
powered off between 1400 and 1430 EDT.  Mail to ietf.org will not be
processed until the servers are brought back on-line.  If the Reston
office has a powerfailure, the Web archives of the mail, and the Web
search engine will not be available.  If the Web server you are pointing
to is not responding, then please attempt to use the direct addresses of
both servers to access the pages.

Please be sure that the technical team will be working to restore these 
services as quickly as possible.

Thank you in advance for your understanding in this matter.

The IETF Secretariat