Subject: VoIP whatever

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:34:33 -0400

Sip and even H.323 are "Multimedia presentation services". All are
extensible far beyond two user full duplex speech. Like mislabelling
atmospheric changes "global warming"... calling anything using speech codecs
under Ip VoIP it completely distorts it and disrupts understanding by the
unwashed masses.

Also, totally invites regulation. Calling this stuff Voice over anything,
asks for users to pay into the universal telephone fund; (for US terminated
traffic), reducing the fun, utility and economy of these services.

As a tag: "personal expression Services" is better. Maybe Pronounced
"Pieces", combines "Peace", and plurality. But no. Some clunkhead called it
"Voice over I-Pee"

Duh

>
>S Woodside wrote:
>	[..]
>> Voice over IP is paradoxically both internet and telephony at the same
>> time. This article presents the paradox, and associated arguments.
>
>Your paradox seems artificial. "IP Telephony" is both internet and telephony,
>but Voice over IP makes no claims (except in sloppy reporting) to be
>telephony. Unless, that is, you consider commerical 2-way radios, CB radios,
>intercoms and tin-cans-and-string to also be telephony by virtue of involving
>transport of voice.
>
>cheers,
>gja
>
>

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:19:59 -0700 (PDT)

> under Ip VoIP it completely distorts it and disrupts understanding by the

If you're going to go there, it's worth pointing
out that the V in VoIP is a pretty artificial
distinction too.

		Mike