Subject: POP3 extensions - thanks

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:51:32 -0400

Pete Resnick at Qualcomm tells me/us of POP3 extensions:
>RFC 2449: POP3 Extension Mechanism.

and

>POP already has authentication (RFC 1734) and TLS (RFC 2595), but I 
>don't think that's what you're talking about. I don't see how crypto 
>or authentication apply to spam in the context of POP here.

All I was thinking is it seems like the SMTP infrastructure is sort of hard
to tinker with. Businesses live and die by email, etc and any chance
something they want doesn't get thru is a big deal for people.

While sitting in the POP3 holding pen... a email could be subject to
scrutiny of different kinds that might be easier to manage than a change to
SMTP stuffola.

I will read the RFC so I know more about what I'm mumbling about in the future.

Cool
thanks
Dan

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:14:44 -0700 (PDT)

> scrutiny of different kinds that might be easier to manage than a change to

It's just sitting in the users mail spool... pop3 is just a tool for mua's  
without filesystem access to get access to the mail in the spool... if you 
want to do stuff to mail before you deliver it to the user, you do that in 
the mta, after, the mua. 

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email-masked]    
GPG Key Fingerprint:     5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:45:59 -0700

Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's just sitting in the users mail spool... pop3 is just a tool for
> mua's without filesystem access to get access to the mail in the
> spool... if you want to do stuff to mail before you deliver it to the
> user, you do that in the mta, after, the mua.

This mostly isn't the way that large mail systems work any more.  For
example, at Stanford, we use Cyrus IMAP as our mail system (which also
provides a POP interface).  It stores mail in an internal database that
cannot be accessed easily through the file system no matter what access
you have or mail client you use; the mail is available only via POP or
IMAP.  It is therefore entirely possible to do things to the mail in the
Cyrus IMAP servers if one really wanted to (and in fact there's a standard
for doing filtering in the server).

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>