Subject: Please restrict your posting volume

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:22:30 -0700

Dean,

as has happened before, your volume of posting has grown enough to cause 
people to complain.

I make your posting volume 27 messages in the last 3 days, comprising 1/3 
of the list volume for these days.

Please restrain yourself to a reasonable level - in email, there is no 
particular harm coming to you by waiting a few hours before responding.

                     Harald

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:51:06 -0400 (EDT)

Goodwins law has been invoked, so seems all points have been made, that
can be made. I have received a number of off-list encouragment messages,
but no off-list hate mail.  Unlike many IETF discussions, this one was
rather civil.

I wonder if the complaints you mention are simply meant to suppress the
reasonably articulate opposition I bring against your position in the IETF
commentary.  Given your IETF commentary letter and its lack of factual
statements and genuine harms, it seems likely to be the latter. However,
email lists aren't the only way to counter such irrational positions.  As
I've said many times previously, FUD doesn't stand the test of time.

I think perhaps like at NASA, it is time to end the practice of political
pandering to persons who are beyond the technical usefulness.  Like the
NASA Safey Council, it seems time for the current IAB members to resign,
and time to find some competent engineers to take over, who can make
engineering decisions based on facts rather than hyperbole.  It is indeed
horrifying to think that the technical engineering decisions about the
future of the internet is being guided by the same people who wrote the
IETF commentary.  I expect this document will continue to haunt the IAB
for some time after we've gotten used to Verisign's and the 20 some other
TLD's wildcard DNS records.

		--Dean

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:00:02 -0400 (EDT)

Oops, this wasn't meant for the list. I doubt Harald meant his to go to
the list, either.

My apologies.

		--Dean

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:02:59 -0700

> I've said many times previously, FUD doesn't stand the test of time.

and as I've said a few times previously, repeating an argument does not 
make it more true.

FWIW, the IAB position statement (NOT an IETF statement - read the text) 
has had largely positive feedback, a number of comments that it is not 
harsh enough, and a number of additional examples of actual harm done.

If you have some facts to contribute that you want considered in further 
work on this issue in the IAB, I'm sure you know the IAB's email address as 
well as I do.

                                   Harald