Subject: Re: literature review [ was: blah blah blah ]

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:08:10 -0700 (PDT)

*> > I think the expression that applies to parts of the IETF community is 
  *> > something like, instead of standing on the shoulders of those who have 
  *> > come before us, we stand on their toes....
  *> > 
  *> > Bob
  *> > 
  *> > p.s. I am not the originator of this phrase, but can't remember where I 
  *> > heard it first.
  *> 

I first heard it in the form: "Computer Scientists need to learn to stand
on each other's shoulders instead of each other's toes" from Prof Allen
Newell at Carnegie Tech in 1963.  Unfortunately, Newell, whose pioneering
research in human and machine cognition inspired a generation of work,
is no longer available to tell us the origin of the saying.  Perhaps it
was original; I certainly assumed so at the time.

FWIW

Bob Braden