Subject: The proper forum for evaluation of Spam proposals

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:36:06 -0700

Hello,

while the spam discussion has been entertaining as usual, for those who 
like watching namecalling, pointed invective and misunderstandings, I must 
remind the participants of 2 things:

- There is a proper forum for discussing anti-spam proposals. It is the 
mailing list of the IRTF antispam research group, [email-masked].
This proposal fits within their taxonomy of antispam solutions 
<http://www.irtf.org/asrg/survey_of_proposals.htm>, and the discussion is 
therefore appropriate to that forum. Consult the ASRG charter and web pages 
for guidelines for appropriate discussion.

- The charter of the IETF discussion list says that "unprofessional 
commentary" is inappropriate for the list. While it can certainly be 
entertaining to watch people try to define each other as kooks of various 
kinds, it is also definitely unprofessional commentary.
So is drawing conclusions in public about other people's intelligence, 
education and previous epxerience.

Summary: Please move over, folks - wrong arena!

                   Harald Alvestrand

---

From: Shelby Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:36:17 +0800

>while the spam discussion has been entertaining as usual, for those who 

Not particularly entertaining for me.

>for guidelines for appropriate discussion.

Will do.  Thank you.  As I said previously, I started here:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/inet-standards.html

And here:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/editor-info.html

Which recommend going through IEFT.

>kinds, it is also definitely unprofessional commentary.

Agreed 100%!  Wish you would have said that earlier to the person who started the "Kook" thread.

>education and previous epxerience.

Which was the whole point of making a "Kook" thread to try to discredit my post or using the words "<plonk>" to address my serious post.

> Summary: Please move over, folks - wrong arena!

As I said, "I'll believe that when I see more engineering posts than I see posts in the Kook thread" or ones addresses my posts with the word "plonk".  Professionalism is I think one of the words I used to <rant> about what was happening.

I will move over now to IRTF and expect to go through this whole nasty reception thing all over again.  Yippie!  :)

Shelby Moore
http://AntiViotic.com