Subject: RE: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

From: "Gream, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:43:22 -0500

Those are application layer specific techniques that can be customised (i.e.
I have a choice, if only by choosing another product), not a lower layer
enforcement where I do not have a choice (or must rely on a `hack`
workaround). Dare I say that this may raise competition / antitrust issues
for Verisign as it could be an interpretation that their act has removed
existing competition from the marketplace, and does not contain any
mechanism to allow that competition to return ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Anderson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 16 September 2003 14:05
To: Keith Moore
Cc: Yakov Shafranovich; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To
Us]

Is it any worse than IE taking you to msn search when a domain doesn't
resolve?  Or worse than Mozilla taking you to Netscape, duplicating a
Google search, and opening a sidebar (and a netscape search) you didn't
want?

I think it isn't.

And people shouldn't be using Reverse DNS for spam checks, either. This
has been hashed out on both DNSOP and Namedroppers.  People have known not
to do this for a long time, but some still insist on it. For that reason
alone, this is a good idea.

		--Dean

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Keith Moore wrote:
> so now verisign is deliberately misrepresenting DNS results.
>
> why are these people allowed to live?
>
>