Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:09:15 -0600 (MDT)

> From: [email-masked] 

> Out of curiosity, where did Verisign get the right to have the advertising monopoly
> for all the eyeballs they'll attract with this?

What eyeballs?  I doubt I'm among the first 1,000,000 people to adjust
junk pop-op or other defenses to treat sitefinder.verisign.com and
64.94.110.0/24 like any other noxious web site.  If AOL and a lot of
other outfits haven't adjusted their proxies within a few hours, I'll
be surprised.

If AOL and Microsoft don't immediately make releases of IE and Netscape
that treat 64.94.110.11 the same as they treated an NXDOMAIN (and
included an update mechanism), it will only be because Verisign has
given up or they're gettting piece of Verisign's action.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Bruce Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:31:04 +0200 (CEST)

> that treat 64.94.110.11 the same as they treated an NXDOMAIN (and

Semantically, you'd want to treat 'arbitarynonexistentdomain.com' as
NXDOMAIN if the 'A' record matches the 'A' record on '*.com'.  Hardcoding
arbitary[1] IP addresses into programs is bad.

--==--
Bruce.

[1] Yes yes, lots of people have hard-coded RFC-mentioned addresses into
    code.