Subject: Well, Marketing maybe (SIP, etc)

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:53:56 -0400

Mike said:
>If you're going to go there, it's worth pointing
>out that the V in VoIP is a pretty artificial
>distinction too.
>Mike

Dan said:
Sip and even H.323 are "Multimedia presentation services". All are
extensible far beyond two user full duplex speech. Like mislabelling
atmospheric changes "global warming"... calling anything using speech codecs
under Ip VoIP it completely distorts it and disrupts understanding by the
unwashed masses.

Dan concludes:
I just try to get people here (cable TV types) to try to communicate a level
of abstraction to customers... operators, not just get this big bonfire to
clobber phone companies going.

Sure a technical term is cool for technocrats like: 802.11b
but then if you want to call it Cintrino, (or WiFi), etc that's ok too. But
I'm just suggesting after all the high costs and steep learning curve to
make it work; (QoS, MPLS, etc) it should be sold with more sizzle (and
accuracy) than poor peoples phone services.

While on the subject... Has anybody seen a fer sure count of how many LDAP
or RR named persons are out there for SIP names? Obviously, that's one
bottleneck for SIP that's hard to overcome.
regs,
Dan

Dan Kolis - Lindsay Electronics Ltd [email-masked]
50 Mary Street West, Lindsay Ontario Canada K9V 2S7
(705) 324-2196  X272             (705) 324-5474 Fax
An ISO 9001 Company; SCTE Member ISM-127194
/Document end