Subject: We going? - 5th International Free Software Forum

From: Paul Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:16:40 +0000

Hi all,

The call for papers for the relatively famous Free Software Forum is up:

http://papers.softwarelivre.org/index.en.html

I was wondering if anybody from the IETF was planning to give a talk? If
not, I was going to propose a couple of sessions myself (in a non-official, 
participatory way of course - I don't propose speaking FOR the IETF so to 
speak):

1. An introduction to the IETF - designed for open source hackers who really
need to understand the processes of WGs and RFC creation better, with an
intention of getting more developers and technologists involved in the
standards processes, as well as the research side of things

2. A round-up of interesting RFCs - most people aren't aware of what RFCs 
have been published in the last 3-4 years, nor what impact they could have 
on them. The intention here is to get open source developers interested in 
turning some of the RFCs that we hoped so much for, into more widely adopted 
protocols. In effect, an "advert" for some work from the WGs.

Thoughts welcome, particularly if the consensus is these talks would be a 
Bad Idea(tm).

-- 
Paul Robinson

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:12:27 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Robinson <[email-masked]> writes:
    Paul> The call for papers for the relatively famous Free Software Forum
    Paul> is up:

    Paul> http://papers.softwarelivre.org/index.en.html

    Paul> I was wondering if anybody from the IETF was planning to give a
    Paul> talk? If not, I was going to propose a couple of sessions myself
    Paul> (in a non-official, participatory way of course - I don't propose
    Paul> speaking FOR the IETF so to speak):

  It would be good if someone reviewed how the IETF worked at the conference.
A lot of software developers would benefit from understanding more.

]       ON HUMILITY: to err is human. To moo, bovine.           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson,    Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked]      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy"); [

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:51:52 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Michael Richards
>A lot of software developers would benefit from understanding more.

I gave a talk like that at Usenix a few years ago -- feel free to point 
folks at the talks/ietf-usenix/ietf-usenix.htm file on my Web page.

Note, of course, that many -- most? -- free software advocates do not 
like the IETF's policies on patents in its protocols.  But that's a 
separate can of worms; let's *not* debate that again now...

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb