Subject: Feb04: Update on administration restructuring

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:35:33 -0500

This month's update is primarily a reference -- to 3 documents published
2 weeks ago (listed below).

Note that the 2nd of these 3 documents addresses the question I outlined
in my January update:

> One substantive point of discussion that has come up more than
> once is:  why does changing the administration structure of the
> IETF help deal with the budgetary issues that have been outlined?

These 3 documents form the basis for the "Administration Restructuring"
section of the Thursday evening plenary in Seoul.  We expect to have
plenty of open discussion during that session -- for those who are in
the room, and those who care to attend via jabber.  And, as with any
Internet-Draft, comments on the text to the authors are always
welcome.

Leslie.

---------------
3 new documents
---------------

1/ http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-ietf-mission-00.txt

"A mission statement for the IETF", Harald Alvestrand

    This memo gives a mission statement for the IETF, tries to define 
the terms used in the statement sufficiently to make the mission 
statement understandable and useful, argues why the IETF needs a mission 
statement, and tries to capture some of the debate that led to this 
point. The appendix giving the debate is intended to be deleted when the 
RFC is published; it is only given here as a reference and a thank-you note.

2/ 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-adminrest-motivation-00.txt

"IETF Administration Restructuring: Motivation", Harald Alvestrand, 
Leslie Daigle

    This document follows up the observations and recommendations 
outlined in the IAB Advisory Committee report ([1]) with a statement of 
purpose for the administration restructuring proposed in [3]. A high 
level definition of the IETF's purpose can be found in [2]. All 4 
documents are meant to be read collectively.

3/ http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daigle-adminrest-00.txt

"A Proposal for IETF Administrative Restructuring", Leslie Daigle, 
Harald Alvestrand

    This document outlines a proposal for an administrative oversight 
entity for the collection of activities that allow the IETF to carry out 
its work. The current description of the IETF's work can be found in 
[2]. The proposal is based on the observations and recommendations 
outlined in the IAB Advisory Committee report ([1]). The motivation for 
this proposal is described separately ([3]). These 4 documents must be 
read together for completeness.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
     Yours to discover."
                                -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------