Subject: New BOF in Application Area (Internet information retrieval infrastructure)

From: "wang liang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:38:10 +0800

There has been some discussion for Internet information retrieval service in
work groups of IRTF. Now this issue will be discussed in the BOF of
Application Area.

As one of most important services of Internet, current information retrieval
service is still far from our expectation---precise, comprehensive and fresh
information. This problem may become more serious with the rapid development
of Internet. We need pay more attention to this issue. This BOF is just for
it. Wish you can participate in.

The date of this BOF will be determined soon.

The content of BOF:

Internet Information Retrieval Infrastructure(iiri)
=================================
CHAIRS: Guo Yiping ([email-masked])
        Wang Liang ([email-masked])

Co-Chair: Andrew Newton([email-masked])

What's the main purpose of Internet? Information retrieval and exchanging.
But what's the most important principle to judge a network? Maybe
communication speed. For common user, they can't feel search service in GB
Internet is better than that in MB networks. The great progress of Internet
didn't bring the great improvement in its main service.
Now Internet is going far and far from their original aim, "knowledge source
of human being", and transforming into a jumbled information sea. Many
experts are mainly concerned with "physical Internet", but now we need pay
more attention to "information Internet".
Information retrieval services may be the most important service of
Internet, but there is till no a special work group for it. Current
commercial search engines meet many bottleneck problems in coverage and
recency. Its service is far from our expectation. It's just a web pages
search system. We can also get information from many other information
resources such as special databases, FTP search engine, P2P, etc. So a work
group for Internet information retrieval system is very necessary. We have
proposed a basic information retrieval frame, DRIS (Domain Resource
Integration System), for this issue. Any related topic could be discussed in
this group.

AGENDA:
Draft agenda for the BOF:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
History of IETF work in this area
15 min
Introduction to problem space and DRIS                                15 min
Internet Information retrieval infrastructure and digital library    15 min
draft-liang-irpdl-03.txt
15 min
IPv6 and information retrieval system
15 min
Discussion
remaining time

Description of this work group(DRIS):
With the rapid increase of the web pages, the coverage of search engines
will become poorer and the update interval will be much longer. If the
current architecture of search engines is still in use, it will be an
impossible mission to find the precise and comprehensive information in the
future. This problem will be more serious when IPV6 technology is widely
implemented in communication networks. The problem of "Too much information
means no information" may become a disaster with information explosion. To
solve this problem, there should be an efficient information management
system for Internet.
In this group, Domain Resource Integrated System--DRIS will be proposed.
DRIS is a distributed information retrieval system, which will build the
information retrieval infrastructure for the Internet and also can be
regarded as a kind of Internet information management system.
DRIS is a hierarchical distributed search system and comprise three kinds of
information retrieval system, conventional database system, distributed
search system and metadata harvest system. We will first define the basic
search system and then define the entire DRIS.
Specific work items are:
1 Standard distributed search system. It defines the platform-independent
search interface and a collection description standard for heterogeneous
information resources. An I-D "information retrieval protocol for digital
resources" has been proposed.
2 Standard metadata harvest system. A protocol based some available opening
standard like OAI will be proposed. It will define a standard metadata that
can be compatible with most database system.
3 Standard public web pages search system.
4 DRIS. It will define entire DRIS. It includes its whole architecture, the
relation between different nodes, etc.
5 DRIS and IPV6. The cooperation with IPV6 WG will be proposed. IPV6 will be
the most distinct feather of next generation Internet.IPV6 is still in
improving and any technology that can benefit the Internet all can be added
to the IPV6 system. Since the searching is the main service of most user of
Internet and this service is not so satisfied to us in current Internet, why
not take this request into account when build the new Internet. For example,
in IPV6, all kinds of data flows are assigned a priority, and then Internet
can guarantee a high priority to the data flow of DRIS. So there may need
some considerations for the relation between DRIS and IPV6.

Mailing list
[email-masked]

Archive and general information:
http://www.lib.hust.edu.cn/dl-lib/English/main.htm

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:55:31 -0800

>The date of this BOF will be determined soon.

The timing and full agenda are available at:

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/04mar/iiri.txt

Note that the chairs are different from that listed in Wang Liang's
recent note; Guo Yiping and Andy Newton will chair the meeting,
since Wang Liang will be a major presenter.  John Klensin will
be presenting the history of IETF work in the area, but it would be
useful if those present were familiar with the previous work
in METAD and FIND as well as the citations given in the BoF
agenda.
			regards,
				Ted Hardie

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:52:17 -0800

At 8:55 AM -0800 02/17/2004, Ted Hardie wrote:
>It would be useful if those present were familiar with the previous work

By the way,  the old FIND charter and documents are listed here:

http://www.ietf.org./html.charters/OLD/find-charter.html

and METAD mailing list archives are at:

http://www.usrlocalsrc.org/bunyip/metad.archive/

			regards,
				Ted Hardie