Subject: Publicising IETF attendance lists

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:39:01 +0000

Here's one interesting story on why it would be nice to be able to opt
out of having your name published as being away from home for a week:

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1137316

I think opt-out is the way to go.  If people are concerned about how
"open" the IETF is they are welcome to come along or join a list :)

Tim

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:47:12 -0500

--On Monday, 02 February, 2004 10:39 +0000 Tim Chown 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Here's one interesting story on why it would be nice to be
> able to opt out of having your name published as being away
> from home for a week:
>

But that article is about "vacation" messages, not about lists 
of prospective attendees at meetings.  Since some people who 
register don't show up, using the meeting list could be a poor 
bet for burglars.  But...

> I think opt-out is the way to go.  If people are concerned
> about how "open" the IETF is they are welcome to come along or
> join a list :)

Were opt-out to be permitted on this basis, it would still be 
reasonable for IETF to publish the list of people who actually 
attended, perhaps with the minutes or even the day after the 
meeting closed.  It seems to me that --unless one develops 
theories about would-be burglars engaging in a good deal of data 
mining (in which case, suppressing registration lists won't help 
much) -- there is almost no argument for suppressing the list of 
people who attended a standards meeting, and many reasons for 
not doing so.

    john

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:04:57 -0500 (EST)

The attendee lists aren't usually published by most organizations until
during or after the event. I would agree that pre-event publication is not
a good idea.  But, of course, speakers and well-known attendees still
can't control that information and how unscrupulous people might use it.  
Your best bet is an alarm system on your home.

But transparancy is important. The list has to be made available.

		--Dean