Subject: Seoul - not about visas!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:30:17 +0100

I have just received the following advice from our services here:

"The Medical Service informs that following the spread of avian influenza
(bird flu) in South East Asia, as a precautionary measure it is advisable,
for all those who are going on mission to this area, to be vaccinated
against influenza.

Although, this vaccination does not protect you from bird flu (H5N1) it
offers a degree of immunity.

It goes without saying that one should pay scrupulous attention to personal
hygiene and the consumption of food and that all contact with poultry (in
markets, farms, slaughter houses ...) is to be avoided at all costs.

..."

A country-by-country overview of the situation can be found on the BBC's
web-site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3429851.stm

----

I am very much looking forward to my first visit to Seoul!

It is my next visit to the US that has me more concerned. That security guy
with the bright blue latex gloves at JFK last time... And I am always, but
always, pulled out for the special treatment! Ouch!<vbg>

/Gordon

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:08:48 +0800

I know I shouldnt wait last minute to book but...

Is there any other hotel other then lotte which charge a reasonable rate?

-James Seng

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:55:50 -0800

James,

JS> Is there any other hotel other then lotte which charge a reasonable rate?

I'll be staying at:

Best Western New Seoul Hotel
#29-1, 1-Ga, Tyaepyeong-No, Jung-Gu
Seoul, 100-101, Korea (South)
Phone: 82 2 735 8800
Fax: 82 2 735 6927

I'm told it is nearby the ietf venue.

The online comments about it sound reasonable, although it has some
quirks, such as windowless rooms. On the other hand, those rooms are the
quiet ones.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>

---

From: Woohyong Choi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:48:06 +0900

Alternative hotels I would recommend are like follows

Westin Chosun Hotel
President Hotel
Best Western New Seoul Hotel
Radisson Seoul Plaza Hotel

These hotels are within 5~10 minutes walk from Seoul Lotte Hotel.

Please take a look at the following URL for more information
including maps.

http://korea-hotelguide.com/hotels/Korea/Myeong%20Dong/

Or you can use your favorite booking service to find rates during
your stays.

Hope this helps.

choi

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:08:48PM +0800, James Seng wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which 
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed. Decisions on 
> what to pass are made solely by IETF_CENSORED ML Administrator 
> ([email-masked]).

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:51:03 +0800

wow, this is extremely useful...

given there are so many alt. hotels around lotte, why does IETF website 
only list one and only one hotel? The usual practice has always been to 
list a numbers of hotels...

james