Subject: 13 Root Server Limitation

From: Thomas Bocek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:13:24 +0200

Hi

I’m confused with the fact than the number of root servers is limited to 13.
>From RFC 3226:

"The current number of root servers is limited to 13 as that is the maximum
number of name servers and their address records that fit in one 512-octet
answer for a SOA record.  If root servers start advertising A6 or KEY records
then the answer for the root NS records will not fit in a single 512-octet DNS
message, resulting in a large number of TCP query connections to the root
servers."

A query send to one of the root servers with a long name (length 255) shows
that
the answer is 511 bytes, returning one A and 13 NS records. My question is: Why
are all 13 NS returned?

Thanks in advance

T. Bocek

----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf