Subject: Update on AdminRest activities

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:59:43 -0400

Since the Seoul plenary meetings, Harald and I have been
working on our take-away action items.  We had the opportunity
to talk with the ISOC Board in mid-May.  We reviewed briefly the
trajectory set in motion from the AdvComm document, and outlined the
framework that we presented in plenary in Seoul (the "AdminRest"
framework, draft-daigle-adminrest).  Following up on our statements
in Seoul, we asked for support to address some of the cross-organization
and specific organization tasks for current operational needs,
and to support the task of exploring the AdminRest framework to the
extent of producing more of a concrete proposal.  I'm happy to
report that the ISOC BoT was indeed very supportive of this
effort.  The specifics (i.e., ISOC Board resolution) will be
published as part of the ISOC Board meeting minutes.

The highlights of that support include the allocation of
an ISOC budget sum, not to exceed $250,000,  to be spent over a six
month period for personnel, incidental expenses, and legal and 
accounting fees to hire and manage a consultant who will complete the
analysis started in RFC 3716 and make recommendations regarding the
organizational requirements and potential organizational models of the
IETF.

The first step, clearly, is to find and hire the appropriate
person.  We have a few people in mind to talk to, but as we can
always use pointers to people we may not have thought of, here's
an outline of the characteristics and expectations we're using
as guidelines:

This is a support function is not intended as a policy-making role,
but intended to execute and clarify the policy set forth by the
IETF leadership, reporting to the ISOC president (as an ISOC project).
Essentially, we are looking for someone we can work with; the
kinds of deliverables and requiremed skills are as outlined below.

Deliverables for the project will include:

      Data Flow:  a set of requirements for implementing appropriate
      tracking of IETF documents and reporting of status across the
      support organizations.

      RFC Editor contract:  a negotiated contract that is agreeable to
      all concerned parties.

      Administrative restructuring:  documentation and support as
      appropriate to the continued evolution of the restructuring
      effort, which is continuously reviewed by the IAB, IESG and the
      rest of the IETF community.

Types of activities/tasks this will include:

  - Assist in drafting the proposed structure/bylaws for the IETF 
administrative entity
  - Revising proposed structure/bylaws based on the public review, 
including reviews by competent counsel
  - Negotiate the contracts for RFC Editor as a model for eventual use 
by the IETF administrative entity
  - Interacting with the RFC Editor, IANA and Secretariat to determine 
the requirements for inter-organizational document flow matched to 
overall IETF process needs

So from this, we have the required skill set:

- understanding inter-organizational relationships and document flows
- ability in contract negotiation
- insight into organization formalization
- experience with the creation of organizations (preferably nonprofits)
- understanding of the legal aspects of such an organization
- understanding of the financial aspects of such an organization

(all of this with the understanding that specific other expertise,
e.g., financial and legal advice, can be brought in on an as-needed
basis).

We hope to identify a suitable candidate in the upcoming weeks.

Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf