Subject: Defining Internet services/service levels?

From: Hadmut Danisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:29:37 +0200

OK, there was some discussion about different
levels of Internet services and categories. 

So should the IETF publish a definition?

regards
Hadmut

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:11:45 -0700

>So should the IETF publish a definition?

No: it's not the kind of engineering we do best.

Yes: we are about the only group that can get the level of review 
needed to prevent such a document from being a puff piece from ISPs.

No: it's about offering of protocols, not how the protocols work

Yes: Having an Informational RFC (it should not be labelled "best 
current practice") on this would be useful to the Internet community.

Proposal: Create a personal Internet Draft. Create a mailing list for 
discussing the draft. Announce the mailing list here. Cycle a few 
times. Announce what you think is the last version year. Probably 
cycle once or twice more. Turn it in to the RFC Editor as a personal 
submission.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:05:01 -0400

> So should the IETF publish a definition?

There's discussion in progress off-list.  The problem is that although it's
probably feasible to get a consensus on the definitions within the IETF, it's
unclear how to phrase it so that the people who actually need the definitions
can use them.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the
people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions
were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with
the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole
it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy" -- Douglas Adams