Subject: copyright requirements clarification - please

From: "Sal Mangiapane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:46:20 -0400

Hello all,

I am reading through RFC 3667 and RFC 3668 and have come upon what I
believe is a conflict.

In RFC 3667 in Section 5.4 it states:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
5.4.  Copyright Notice (required for all IETF Documents)

   (Normally placed at the end of the IETF Document.)

      "Copyright (C) The Internet Society (year).  This document is
      subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP
      78, and except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their
      rights."

   Additional copyright notices are not permitted in IETF Documents
   except in the case where such document is the product of a joint
   development effort between the IETF and another standards development
   organization or the document is a republication of the work of
   another standards organization.  Such exceptions must be approved on
   an individual basis by the IAB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT, in both documents an additional copyright statement is included
near the beginning of the documents:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004).  All Rights Reserved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a conflict?

Regards,

Sal
Salvatore Mangiapane

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:01:50 -0400 (EDT)

this refers to copyrights from somewhere other than the ISOC 
(the W3C or an individual person for example)

multiple copyright notices, if all from teh ISOC, is just fine

Scott

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:50:32 -0400

> Is this a conflict?

Agreed - the two texts *do* differ, and there is a bit of "practice what you
preach" lurking there.  However, the additional language in the 5.4 boilerplate
appears to be there because the authors of RFC3667 and 3668 presumably
assigned all rights to the Internet Society with the intention of the Society
having *all* the rights to the RFC, whereas most RFCs the authors may wish
to retain some of the rights to the document.  So for the 2 RFCs, the Society
keeps all the rights, but in general the intent is to assign the copyright to
the Society, which then grants back to the authors all the rights except the
limited subset listed in BCP 78 which it needs to do its work.

As such, I don't see a conflict here.  Of course, IANAL, and I presume
that someone who actually is one did a double-check of all this....
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf