Subject: Re: "setting up the administrative structures we need"

From: "David Lloyd-Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:00:16 -0400

Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>Dave,
>
>No, you haven't missed it -- first step in setting up anything is making
>a (detailed) plan.
>
>Leslie.
>

Hunh? Leslie could you give an example of what you have in mind?

On this planet things are almost always set up without plans, and plans are 
almost always constructed ex post facto to justify whatever happened.

Business plans are generally works of fiction spun to deceive banks and 
investors. Floor plans are inventories of what's on the floor. Planning 
committees are usually set up by people in power to get pests out of their 
hair.

Blueprints are simply skeletons for revision orders to be hung on.

                                                                    -dlj.

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*   
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:17:51 -0700

--On 9. juni 2004 10:00 -0400 David Lloyd-Jones <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> On this planet things are almost always set up without plans, and plans
> are almost always constructed ex post facto to justify whatever happened.

not my experience.

my favourite quote on planning is "the purpose of planning is so that you 
can panic in time" - closely followed by "no plan survives first contact 
with the enemy".

Your end result rarely resembles the plans laid near the beginning. But if 
you don't try to plan, you don't even realize when things have started to 
change beyond your control.

"if you aim at nothing, you're sure to hit it".

This message was brought to you by the department of glib quotes.....