Subject: Re: Progressing Re: Progress report......

From: "Mark D. Foster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:15:56 -0500

--At 11:37 AM -0500 1/26/05, John C Klensin wrote:

> Of course, if Neustar agrees to whatever provisions are in the
> BCP, and whatever details about those provisions that the IAOC
> specifies, and is able to do so --which Harald's note indicates
> they are prepared to do-- then this should not be an issue.

So you don't have to rely solely on Harald or Leslie's attestations, the
answer from the horse's mouth is yes, NeuStar's fully prepared and able to
contract with the (ISOC-based) IAOC consistent with the BCP.  And, yes, it's
intentionally to make all of these concerns a non-issue.

Just to clarify, our interest here is solely an attempt to facilitate a
smooth transition of the secretariat operations into an environment
consistent with the adminrest objectives.  We're proposing to structure this
as a non-profit, provide complete financial and operational transparency,
open-source the tools, make all IPR we can unequivocally available, and
enter into a contract with IAOC specifying all of this in writing for a
limited term that includes termination for cause. there's no other motive
here than to ensure a smooth transition for the benefit of the community.
Best of all, we're not the ones making that determination!  If this doesn't
have the support of the TT and the community, then we won't proceed.

We've commenced discussions with the TT and now the community, even though
sensitive negotiations are still ongoing, to ensure this can be done for the
community's best interest.  That's why we can't say more yet regarding the
proposed transaction, but are discussing how this scenario would work in the
context of the BCP and for the best interests of the community, so we can
try to be responsive to that.

Discussions or questions are welcome, with the proviso that we obviously
can't comment on pending acquisitions in detail.

R, Mark

----------------------------------------------------------------
Mark D. Foster                  | EMAIL: [email-masked]
SVP & CTO                       | NeuStar, Inc.
TEL: +1 571 434 5410/5411       | FAX: +1 571 434 5489
46000 Center Oak Plaza          | Sterling, VA  20166

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf