Subject: Legal review 2: Trademarks

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:41:18 +0100

More from Jorge:

2.  Trademarks.

There has been a lot of discussion about ownership and maintenance
of IETF-related trademarks.  I would suggest that one of the IAD/IASA 
duties be to consider appropriate trademark protection for the IETF's 
identifying names (such as "IETF", "IRTF", etc.), and then oversee the 
prosecution and maintenance of such trademarks.  This activity should be 
identified as part of the IASA budget.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:10:01 +0100

> identified as part of the IASA budget.

Good catch, but does it belong in the BCP? Seems like good advice
to the IAOC.

    Batch

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:51:48 -0500

> Good catch, but does it belong in the BCP? Seems like good advice

It would seem appropriate for the BCP to contain language authorizing the 
IASA to register, maintain, and defend trademarks on behalf of the IETF.

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:25:36 +0100

Suggestion: Add to section 3, one paragraph before section 3.1:

   The IASA is responsible for undertaking any and all required actions
   that involve trademarks on behalf of the IETF.

Should be broad enough to let it do what needs to be done - registering, 
defending or attacking trademarks as needed (remember Internet(TM)?)

                     Harald

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:27:02 +0100

>   that involve trademarks on behalf of the IETF.

Works for me
    Brian