Subject: RE: Language tags, the phillips draft, and procedures

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:46:36 +0000

An important point of which the IETF list members may not be aware is
that this work has been carried out as an informal IETF/W3C/Unicode 
collaboration.  For example:

-  Addison Phillips (co-author) is the Chair of the W3C I18N WG

-  Mark Davis (co-author) is the President of the Unicode Consortium

-  Martin Duerst, one of the participants in the debate, is the W3C 
   I18N Activity Lead

-  John Cowan is co-editor of the W3C's XML specification and XML 
   Information Set specification

-  Many of the participants in this work over the years have been 
   active in the W3C I18N effort and the Unicode Consortium and the 
   work of discussing the problems of RFC 1766 and later RFC 3066.

Furthermore:

-  The W3C is highly dependent on the RFC 1766/3066 family of RFCs, 
   as language-handling in HTML and XML is delegated to these RFCs.
   Within the W3C, the responsibility for keeping an eye on these 
   RFCs lies with the I18N WG.

-  The Unicode Consortium hosts the Common Locale Data Repository 
   (CLDR) Project, which has a close relationship to this work.

Now the IETF is, of course, free to do whatever it likes, but I 
would urge that any course of action which would cause a parting of 
the ways between the IETF and the W3C (and other Industry Consortia) 
should be avoided.  I suggest that it may be time to escalate this 
matter to the IETF/W3C Liaison group.

Misha Wolf
Standards Manager, Chief Architecture Office, Reuters
Founding Chair, W3C I18N WG

--------------------------------------------------------------- -
        Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com

Get closer to the financial markets with Reuters Messaging - for more
information and to register, visit http://www.reuters.com/messaging

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
the views of Reuters Ltd.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:33:10 -0800

I believe that what Misha was trying to do with this message was not to try
to pressure for special treatment in any way. Instead it was to address the
issue voiced by some on this list, that "there is not much support" for
3066bis. In fact there is a great deal of support; a large number of people,
companies, and organizations are in favor of it. In particular, both the W3C
and Unicode committees are strongly in favor. (And if the IETF wants
official liaison statements to that effect, that could easily be
forthcoming).

Moreover, the only reason why we have held off in registering language tags
like zh-Hans-HK, zh-Hant-HK and a great many others like them, because we
were expecting to get 3066bis passed soon, and we didn't want to have them
be redundant. There is a pressing current need for codes like these, so if
it appears that 3066bis will not be released soon, we will need to get them
registered in the meantime.

‎Mark

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Misha Wolf" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 08:46
Subject: RE: Language tags, the phillips draft, and procedures

Furthermore:

Misha Wolf