Subject: Updated version of the IAD announcement

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:41:20 +0100

All,

Please find below an updated version of the IAD job announcement. This 
is based on the feedback we received here on the list, as well as on 
feedback received from a professional.  The comment period this time 
will be until Sunday evening and we expect to post this on Monday.

- - kurtis -

- ----

  The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is responsible for 
developing and defining the standards and protocols that make up the 
Internet. The IETF was established in 1986, and has since then been the 
center of development for the technologies that make up what we think 
of as the Internet.

  Until now, administration of the IETF has been carried out by helper 
organizations; the IETF has had no staff of it's own that was working 
only for the IETF and it's interests.

  The community that makes up the IETF has decided to move into a more 
formal operating model, and as part of this move, it has created an 
Administrative Support Activity. To run this activity, the IETF 
Administrative Support Activity (IASA) Transition Team is now seeking a 
highly capable individual to serve as IASA Administrative Director 
(IAD). The IAD will lead the work of supporting the organisation that 
defines and develops the future Internet and associcated technologies.

  In the role as IAD, you will be reporting to the IETF Administrative 
Oversight Committee (IAOC) and be accountable to the IETF community. 
This is a highly visible and very demanding job; you will be expected 
to work on a daily basis with some of the leading Internet 
technologists of the world.

  You will be expected to:

	o	Document the administrative
  requirements of the IETF, IESG, IAB and IRTF, and
  manage the work to fulfil them.

	o 	 Establish the IASA annual budgets, oversee their financial
  administration, and report on IASA work to the IETF.

	o 	 Work with ISOC and various service providers to establish 
appropriate agreed budgets and related financial and performance 
reporting.

	o 	 Negotiate contracts with service providers and establish
  procedures for measuring and reporting the performance
  of these providers.

	o 	 Serve as the day-to-day responsible person for administrative
  operations that support the IETF process,
  managing a number of contractors and working with a number of
  volunteers.

	o 	Serve as the primary staff resource for the IASA.

	o 	Work with your contractors and members of the IETF community to
  provide adequate support and planning for 3 IETF meetings
  annually, and for frequent meetings and teleconferences of the
  IAB, IESG, and other bodies that support the IETF.

  The following characteristics are necessary for this job:

	o 	 This job is public service. You should be able to work
  successfully with large numbers of people from numerous
  countries. This requires a large work capacity, the ability
  to handle many simultaneous tasks, and the ability to listen
  carefully.

	o 	 This is an operations job. IETF meetings are large and complex,
  and the day-to-day activities of the standards-making process is
  demanding. You should be adept at getting real results and
  helping large groups work together towards common goals and
  deadlines.

	o 	This is a public job. You will be required to present the
  results and achievements of the IASA in front of the community
  as well as dealing with questions from individual members of the
  community. One goal of IASA is to achieve as much transparency
  and accountability as possible, so good communication skills
  and previous similar
  experiences are valued.

	o 	 This job requires a financially astute individual. The IETF is a
  $2-$3 million/year operation. IETF funds are tight and we expect
  you to take leadership in establishing our budgetary procedures,
  our procurement standards, and understanding our revenue sources.

  In-depth familiarity with the IETF prior to assuming this position is
  not required, but you must be able to quickly get up to speed and
  learn the unique culture and requirements of the organization.
  Likewise, long-term technical experience is not required, but you
  must be a quick learner and adept at using the Internet effectively.

  The person hired will be an employee of the Internet Society
  (ISOC).

  The Internet Society is based in Reston, Virginia and in Geneva,
  Switzerland, and the job will require a high level of
  travel for IETF meetings and preparation and related meetings.
  You may work out of a home office as a telecommuter or use the
  Internet Society facilities. In either case, you should
  be prepared to travel frequently to Virginia, IETF meetings,
  and the locations
  where the IETF has contractors.

  Salary levels commensurate with experience and qualifications.

  You must be fluent in spoken and written English.

  Applicants should forward a resume, references, and any other
  relevant materials, with a cover letter explaining why they feel they
  are the right person for this position written in text or PDF, in an 
email sent to [email-masked].

  Applications will be evaluated starting January 15th, and will be 
continuously evaluated thereafter. The evaluation of applications, 
selection and appointment of the IAD will be made by the IASA 
transition team.

  The list of applicants will not be posted publicly, but will be
  reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee, the
  IAB, and the IESG.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf