Subject: Re: Last Call Comments on draft-iasa-bcp-04.txt

From: "John Loughney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:01:51 +0200

Again. I agree with Sam and John here.  Getting out of the over specification here is important.  The IASA will need to write-up some rules, but I think this BCP is the wrong place, having some operational experience is important.

John L.

-- original message --
Subject:	Re: Last Call Comments on draft-iasa-bcp-04.txt
From:	"Sam Hartman" <[email-masked]>
Date:		01/17/2005 8:00 pm

>>>>> "John" == John C Klensin <[email-masked]> writes:

    John> How the text should be fixed depends a bit on what we do
    John> about that "outsourcing" assumption, to which I continue to
    John> object. If we can lose it, the paragraph might end up
    John> reading something like:

    John>         The IAOC is expected to determine what IETF
    John> administrative functions are to be performed, and how or
    John> where they should be performed (e.g., internally to the IASC
    John> or by outside organizations), so as to maintain an optimal
    John> balance of functional performance and cost of each such
    John> function.  The IAOC should document all such decisions, and
    John> the justification for them, for review by the
    John> community. Each function should be reviewed on a regular
    John> basis, using the assumption that the function is unnecessary
    John> and that, if necessary, it is overstaffed, rather than an
    John> assumption that anything that has been done is necessary,
    John> and adjusted as needed.

    John> That probably still needs word smithing.  The second
    John> sentence may be redundant enough with other statements in
    John> the BCP that it can be removed.  And the last sentence is a
    John> bit long.  But it is at least relatively jargon-free.

I support the intent of this paragraph and the implied move away from
the current out sourcing text.  I think the last sentence could use
some work but could accept the current text.

--Sam

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf