Subject: Consensus? #789: Section 5.6 - Financial reserves

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:36:58 +0100

The text under discussion reads:

>> The IASA expects ISOC to build and provide that operational reserve,
>> through whatever mechanisms ISOC deems appropriate: line of credit,
>> financial reserves, meeting cancellation insurance, and so forth. In
>> the long term, financial reserves are preferable; it should be a goal
>> for ISOC to reach this level of reserves within 3 years after the
>> creation of the IASA.

The discussion so far seems to indicate that the IETF is not interested in 
any kind of control over how that reserve is built, only in seeing that it 
exists and is adequate. In particular, the sentence "financial reserves are 
preferable" was written as if it was a truism, not an attempt to force 
ISOC's hand. In this case, saying less seems to be a Good Idea.

So picking up a version suggested by Jeff Hutzelman, I suggest that we 
replace this paragraph with the shorter version:

  The IASA expects ISOC to build and provide that operational reserve,
  through whatever mechanisms ISOC deems appropriate.

Note that this also lost the "3-year goal". Is that OK?

                      Harald

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:31:20 -0500

At 2:36 PM +0100 1/21/05, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>So picking up a version suggested by Jeff Hutzelman, I suggest that 
>we replace this paragraph with the shorter version:
>

Works for me.

Margaret