Subject: NeuStar as a unit (was Re: Progress report......)

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:32:41 -0500 (EST)

Harald mentions in passing:
  for instance, the transition team has 
  briefly considered the option of making "permanent institutional memory" in 
  the form of archives a separate task that is carried out outside the 
  present "secretariat" framework - since Carl's reports indicate that this 
  task may need a different skillset, and different resources, than the 
  secretariat currently has.

is there a requirement for the IETF to agrre that NeuStar take over 
all of the current Foretec funstions?  It seems to me that providing
mailing list services (along with the archives of them) is a quite
separable function - there are a number of companies in that business.

I'd like to see a RFP be developed for the mailing list function and
that bids be solicited for it - NeuStar could bid on the RFC if they
felt that they have the expertise but I see no reason to think that
they would automatically be the best choice.

In the long run I'd like the IETF to move away from having a single
vendor for all of our support services (ignoring for the moment the
RFC Editor and IANA which are already seperate) - it puts too much 
dependency in one place and assumes that expertise in, for example,
meeting managment automatically translates into expertise in other areas
such as mailing list management.

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:14:55 +0100

--On onsdag, januar 26, 2005 09:32:41 -0500 Scott Bradner <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>   briefly considered the option of making "permanent institutional
> memory" in    the form of archives a separate task that is carried out
> outside the    present "secretariat" framework - since Carl's reports
> indicate that this    task may need a different skillset, and different
> resources, than the    secretariat currently has.
>
> all of the current Foretec funstions?

I have heard no such requirement either from Neustar or from the community.