Subject: Re: IASA Finances - an attempt at some uplevelling

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:42:53 -0500 (EST)

Specific suggestion for text changes from harald
====================================

Reserves
--------
Section 2.2 bullet 7, current:

   8.  The IASA shall establish a target for a reserve fund to cover
       normal operating expenses and meeting expenses in accordance with
       prudent planning, and ISOC shall work with the IASA to build up
       and maintain the reserve.

Under the principle of "state principles, not mechanisms", change to:

   8.  The IASA, in cooperation with ISOC, shall ensure that sufficient
       reserves exist to keep the IETF operational in the case of
       unexpected events such as income shortfalls.

>> looks good to me

All other details should be in section 5.6.
In section 5.6, change:

   Rather than having the IASA attempt to build that reserve in its
   separate accounts, the IASA looks to ISOC to build and provide that
   operational reserve, through whatever mechanisms ISOC deems
   appropriate: line of credit, financial reserves, meeting cancellation
   insurance, and so forth.  Such reserves do not appear
   instantaneously; the goal is to reach this level of reserves within 3
   years after the creation of the IASA.  Such funds shall be held in
   reserve for use by IASA for use in the event of IETF meeting
   cancellation or other unexpected fiscal emergencies.  These reserves
   shall only be spent on IETF support functions.

to:

   The IASA expects ISOC to build and provide that
   operational reserve, through whatever mechanisms ISOC deems
   appropriate: line of credit, financial reserves, meeting cancellation
   insurance, and so forth. Long term, financial reserves are preferred;
   it should be a goal for ISOC to reach this level of reserves within 3
   years after the creation of the IASA.

   If the IASA account accumulates a surplus, ISOC may count that as
   part of the reserve.

>> also OK by me modulo changing "account" to "accounts" in the last 
>> sentence

IASA accounts
-------------
In section 7 (Removability), change:

      Any accrued funds, any IETF-specific intellectual property rights,
      and any IETF-specific data and tools shall also transition to the
      new entity.

to

      Any IASA account balance, any IETF-specific intellectual
      property rights, and any IETF-specific data and tools shall also
      transition to the new entity. Other terms of removal shall be
      negotiated between the non-ISOC members of the IAOC and ISOC.

>> I agree with John's concern 
>> maybe fix by saying "non ISOC-appointed members"

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf