Subject: Re: gen-art: (Extra) Review of draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-04.txt

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:45:32 -0500 (EST)

how about (in response to Elwyn's comment)

   Although the IAD is an ISOC employee, he or she works under the
   direction of the IAOC.  A committee of the IAOC is responsible for
   hiring and firing of the IAD, for reviewing the performance and for
   setting the compensation of the IAD.   The members of this committee are
   appointed by the IAOC, and consist at minimum of the ISOC President and
   the IETF Chair.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:29:51 -0500

--On Friday, 21 January, 2005 08:45 -0500 Scott Bradner
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>    Although the IAD is an ISOC employee, he or she works under
> the    direction of the IAOC.  A committee of the IAOC is
> responsible for    hiring and firing of the IAD, for reviewing
> the performance and for    setting the compensation of the
> IAD.   The members of this committee are    appointed by the
> IAOC, and consist at minimum of the ISOC President and    the
> IETF Chair.

As a safeguard against the appearance of cabals, etc., if there
is going to be a statement about the minimum membership of that
committee, it should also include an IETF-appointed member who
is not a member of the IESG or IAB.  This is a little bit like
the "outside director" requirement that is common for personnel
committees of standard corporate boards.

I don't think I'm concerned about a real risk of problems here,
but it is always desirable to avoid any possible appearance of
impropriety, especially when that is easy.

    john