Subject: RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:03:25 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Christian Huitema wrote:

>> Uh - how is Paris going to be physically dangerous.  Are there
>> terrorists planning on blowing up a tower, I really don't think a few
>> warm days count as physically dangerous to most of the crowd I see at
>> IETF meetings...
>
> Not to sound alarmist or anything, but there is actually quite a history
> of terrorist attacks against Paris:

There was actually an IRA bombing of a trainstation the friday prior to 
the London IETF if you're into history...

Property crime in france is on par with the US but the per capita homocide 
rate is about 1/8 of the US rate. Personally I feel safer in Paris.

> - July 25, 1995: Bomb at Paris Metro Station Saint Michel kills 35.
> - Dec. 26, 1994: The hijackers of an Air France airliner in Marseilles,
> France, were suspected of intending smashing it against the Eiffel
> Tower.
> - September 17, 1986: Bomb explodes in a paper basket in front of the
> Tati clothes store, rue de Rennes, Paris, kills 7 and injures 51.
>
> Various conspiracies have been stopped by the French police in recent
> years, including a plot to bomb the American Embassy in September 2001.
>
> The main consequence for IETF attendees: do not leave your baggage
> unattended at a Paris airport, in a train station, or generally in a
> public place. The standard procedure is to blow it preventively...
>
> -- Christian Huitema
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email-masked] 
GPG Key Fingerprint:     5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:50:37 -0500

Boy, what a bunch of wimps!  Paris in the summer is not life-threatening, 
unless possibly you're an elderly shut-in in a fourth-floor walkup without 
air conditioning during last summer's heat wave; if you want 
life-threatening, I suggest a trip to any of the affected areas on the 
Indian Ocean right now.  In lieu of the travel, if everyone who 
participates in the IETF were to make a donation to their favorite relief 
fund, THAT would be a productive use of this holiday weekend.  You can find 
a partial list of relief agencies at 
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Tsunami_Help/Aid_Agencies/Major_International_Agencies 
.

Andy

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:34:41 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
>  warm days count as physically dangerous to most of the crowd I see
> at IETF meetings...

This morning on radio - announce a trial of a very specific group with a 
very specific plan of a very specific threat of a consular setting here 
in Paris...

Alex

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:03:21 +1030

Dassa wrote:

> Actually I find it hard to understand Adelaide having issues with
> accommadation unless there was another major event at the same time.  How
> does it cope with motor sport events, they used to hold some there didn't
> they?

Hotels don't like blocking all of their rooms to one event so you will 
never get all of their rooms.Count yourself lucky to get 50% of them. 
Also some have standing bookings, such as airline flight crews, etc., 
that cut down their actual usable capacity. Of course the secretariat 
know all of this.

For motor sport events there is a smaller percentage of non locals, more 
people in a single room and they are happy to travel further. Also I 
recall in the first years of the Formula One Grand Prix the GP office 
was organising home stays in addition to booking accomodation over 50km 
from the event. Not exactly ideal for an IETF.

When the Ring Cycle was in town all the hotels kept their rates at rack 
rate and insisted that all bookings conform to the cycle. This made it 
unworkable even though the convention centre was available.

Note Adelaide has more hotel beds now than in 2000 and while the 
building work at the Convention Centre is finished it build more 
exhibition space rather than more plenary rooms.

In short, unless you have tried to do this you probably don't realise 
how difficult it is to find a site suitable for the IETF.

Mark.