Subject: Rough consensus on no change? #786 Firing the IAOC

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:24:20 +0100

Version -04 says the following about firing IAOC members:

   IAOC members are subject to recall in the event that an IAOC member
   abrogates his or her duties or acts against the best interests of the
   IETF community.  Any appointed IAOC member, including those appointed
   by the IAB, IESG or ISOC Board of Trustees, may be recalled using the
   recall procedure defined in RFC 3777 [RFC3777].  IAOC members are
   not, however, subject to recall by the bodies that appointed them.

The procedure in RFC 3777 calls for recalling members one by one. John very 
clearly made the point that if the IAOC collectively behaves in a bad way, 
the community may be better off firing the whole group than in trying to 
find "the guilty party" among the members.

After a long debate, I conclude that John is the only proponent for 
changing this paragraph to have other rules for recall than RFC 3777 has - 
other people thought that we should live with the text as written.
So I call a rough consensus for "no change".

Are people willing to live with that?

                  Harald

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:22:24 -0500

--On Wednesday, 19 January, 2005 14:24 +0100 Harald Tveit
Alvestrand <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The procedure in RFC 3777 calls for recalling members one by
> one. John very clearly made the point that if the IAOC
> collectively behaves in a bad way, the community may be better
> off firing the whole group than in trying to find "the guilty
> party" among the members.
> 
> After a long debate, I conclude that John is the only
> proponent for changing this paragraph to have other rules for
> recall than RFC 3777 has - other people thought that we should
> live with the text as written.

I have given up and I accept this outcome.  I hope the rest of
you turn out to be right or, better, that the problem never
arises.

   john