Subject: Re: Fw: Impending publication: draft-iab-dns-assumptions-02.txt

From: Bruce Lilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:06:52 -0500

>  Date: 2005-03-02 09:49
>  From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>

> > The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish
> > 
> >           What's in a Name: False Assumptions about DNS Names
> >                       draft-iab-dns-assumptions-02
> > 
> > as an Informational RFC.  This document reviews the potential
> > assumptions that may be made based on domain names, as well as the
> > potential implications (and pitfalls) of those assumptions.
> > 
> > The IAB solicits comments by March 29, 2005. Please send
> > comments to the IAB ([email-masked]), or to [email-masked].
> 
> i think this document is just silly.  and highly subjective.  there is
> no way to edit it to correct its problems -- it should just quietly die.

Could you be more specific about the alleged problems?  The document
does identify several ongoing, real, objective problems (e.g. SMTP
clients that assume that pipelining is supported even when not offered
in response to EHLO, or -- worse -- when HELO is used to initiate a
session).  Now one might point out that not all of the issues discussed
are specific to DNS names (the example above s not), but that could be
addressed by splitting the document or reformulating its title and
scope.  The draft almost contains a workable definition of backwards
compatibility, something which would be quite useful.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf