Subject: RE: UPDATE - mp3 audio streaming...

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson \(LU/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:01:06 +0100

Yes, the mp3 streaming seems to be a very useful tool to open up for
off-site participation. Compared to having a jabber chat room, it is
much easier to follow what happens, as even a very good scribe can
not possible capture everything that happens. Also, it is not easy
to find someone who is willing to volunteer to serve as the jabber
scribe, so I do not think we could ever mandate all WGs to have that.
With the mp3 streaming, we get something that is much better for the
off-site participant, while the WG chairs do not have to bother with
finding a scribe.

However, to make the mp3 streaming at all useful, there must be a
return channel, and for that purpose I actually think we should
mandate the use of jabber chat rooms for all WGs, i.e. the chairs
should have to find someone to relay input from the chat room (if
the chairs do not choose to do it themselves). Personally, I would
(as a chair) be happy to do that, and with the mp3 streaming I know
people can actually follow the meeting and thus have a chance to
actively participate.

I've followed a few groups from home this week as I was not able to
make it to Minneapolis, but when I wanted to comment I was unable to
do that as all jabber participants were located off-site. To me, the
mp3 streaming then became rather useless, and listening to it became
a waste of time. If I just want to know what happened, I can read
the minutes. 

Proposal: When we have mp3 streaming from a WG meeting, I think
it should be mandatory for the chairs to ensure there is a chat room
relay person in the meeting room. 

/L-E

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Tony Hansen
> Sent: den 9 mars 2005 18:23
> To: Joel Jaeggli
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: UPDATE - mp3 audio streaming...
> 
> 
> Kudos for the mp3 streams!
> 
> So far, the mp3 streams have been quite a success. From the feedback 
> I've heard, the audio quality has been mostly excellent. When 
> combined 
> with the xmpp/jabber rooms, we have a two way communication path, and 
> several meetings I've been in have used this combination 
> quite effectively.
> 
> 	Tony Hansen
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> > Stats wise, on Monday 187 unique ip's joined 1487 streams over the 
> > course of the day. On Tuesday 136 ip addresses joined 835 
> streams over 
> > the course of the day.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
> 

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf