Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Message Submission' to Draft Standard

From: Bruce Lilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:42:21 -0500

>  Date: 2005-03-05 01:50
>  From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>

> then it has nothing to do with whether the document
> should move to Draft because nothing prevents you from doing a
> writeup of the specific extension(s) you propose as an I-D and
> see if you can get others, especially those who implement and
> deploy these sorts of things, interested in adding those
> extensions as a new Proposed Standard piece of protocol to be
> optionally used with Message Submission.

It is true that, by itself, the issue of client-server
negotiation is irrelevant to the disposition of the draft
under discussion.  The draft, and the positioning of
submit as a separate protocol from ESMTP, purports that
an MSA can be differentiated from an MTA via the protocol,
which appears not to be the case w/o some sort of ESMTP
keyword that specifically identifies a submit server. Of
course, that claim could be dropped from the draft, but
that still leaves no way to make such a distinction and
little more than hand-waving to avoid abuse of 2821
"gateway" provisions for message munging to differentiate
an MSA from MTA.

The more serious issues regarding the proposed elevation to
Draft Standard status are:
1. whether the changes from 2476 warrant recycling at Proposed
2. whether or not the criterion for 2 independent implementations
   meeting all required protocol features is satisfied.
Without commenting on the first issue, it appears that the
second is a problem at this time.

Regarding specific proposals and attracting interest, my
earlier observation that there does not appear to be a relevant
active WG applies.  For that matter, that is a concern for
moving the submit protocol to Draft status and beyond; the
practice of disbanding WGs after a Proposed Standard has been
produced leaves a void regarding the necessary work to advance
along the Standards Track.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf