Subject: Re:reflections from the trenches of ietf62 wireless

From: Dennis Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:10:14 -0600

--On March 16, 2005 07:30:07 AM -0800 Dave Crocker <[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]
> that leaves equipment.
>
> how much would it cost us to have our own equipment?

For those who would like to compute estimates, we used:

2 Juniper M10 routers with GigE and fiber ports
20 or so Cisco 3750 switch/routers with GigE and fiber ports
35 802.11 a/b/g access points with system management boxes
4 or 5 servers for DHCP, DNS, Radius, print queue, RFC cache, etc.

Some of the switches were ganged for extra reliability. If that wasn't deemed 
necessary, about a dozen or so might be a minimum set. We could afford to be 
pretty liberal because of plentiful inventory and the generosity of the 
University.

Add it all up (add a few $K for maintenance fees and miscellaneous) and 
divide by 3 years or thereabouts, when it will all have to be 
updated/replaced. That should give you a rough annual equipment budget.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:27:36 +0200 (EET)

> 4 or 5 servers for DHCP, DNS, Radius, print queue, RFC cache, etc.

I think it has seemed pretty clear that the critical point here are 
the access point (and the related gear, if any).

A good question would be why the APs couldn't just run in the 'dumb' 
mode without any system management stuff.  In particular, it might be 
worth figuring out which gear has been used at each meeting, how 
'dumb' the setup has been, have there been management issues with the 
APs, etc.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings