Subject: IETF62 Wireless Network Update

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:33:01 -0600

Gentlepeople,
	We just wanted to give everyone an update on the state of the wireless 
network here at the Hilton. As most people noticed, we had severe 
problems involving APs going away starting right around 9am when the 
first meetings began. We identified and worked around the problem and 
the APs have been up and reasonably solid since mid-morning.

	However, despite the APs staying up, we continued to see problems, 
particularly on the 3rd floor.  Common symptoms were:
	- Long delays before receiving DHCP responses
	- Long first hop round trip times
	- Loss on the first hop (in the wireless domain)
	- Receiving a DHCP address, but still not having the ability to 
contact the default router

	Moving forward, we've made several configuration changes which should 
help matters, and we believe that most of the problems have been 
resolved. Please (gently) let us know if you're still seeing major 
problems. The 2.4G band (802.11b/g) is still pretty congested and has 
some inherent issues in a situation like IETF meetings, so if you have 
the option to use 802.11a, we'd suggest you do so.

	As always, any trouble reports or questions can be directed at 
[email-masked].

	Again, our apologies for the frustration and annoyance this is 
causing. Believe us, we want to get this to work just as much, if not 
more, than you all do!

	- Jim

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:21:41 -0600

Jim,

Thank you for the update. Best wishes on tomorrow :-)

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Martin" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 6:33 PM
Subject: IETF62 Wireless Network Update

> Gentlepeople,
> We just wanted to give everyone an update on the state of the 
> wireless network here at the Hilton. As most people noticed, we had 
> severe problems involving APs going away starting right around 9am 
> when the first meetings began. We identified and worked around the 
> problem and the APs have been up and reasonably solid since 
> mid-morning.
>
> Moving forward, we've made several configuration changes which 
> should help matters, and we believe that most of the problems have 
> been resolved. Please (gently) let us know if you're still seeing 
> major problems. The 2.4G band (802.11b/g) is still pretty congested 
> and has some inherent issues in a situation like IETF meetings, so 
> if you have the option to use 802.11a, we'd suggest you do so.
>
> causing. Believe us, we want to get this to work just as much, if 
> not more, than you all do!
>
> - Jim
>
>