Subject: MP3 audio streaming for IETF 62

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 06:04:33 -0800 (PST)

Just to recap:

IETF 62 inagurates a new streaming effort. Instead of covering only two
rooms it is our intention to cover all eight. Instead of multicast video
delivery, unicast audio-only. It is our hope that this new effort will
provide more useful timely and accessible access to the proceedings of the
IETF as they happen. An internet draft decribing what the effort is 
intended to do, and the efforts up to this point is available at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jaeggli-ietftv-ng-00.txt

Streams are delivered as 64Kb/s unicast-http-streamed mp3 audio, a popular 
and relativly standard way to deliver internet radio. Most platforms 
should have a client immediatly available (windows media player, 
quicktime, real, winamp, vlc, mplayer, zinf etc) capable of playing back 
the stream.

Information on getting access to the streams is available from the
webpage located at:

http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf62.html

Streaming begins March 7th 0900 CST 1500 GMT

Regards
Joel Jaeggli

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email-masked] 
GPG Key Fingerprint:     5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:07:09 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> IETF as they happen.

So IETF multicast survived for exactly 13 years, beginning March 1992
in San Diego and succeeded in March 2005.  It is too bad that
inter-domain IP multicast didn't get off the runway, but at least it
lives on within enterprises and academia.

                                                        -- Steve

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:39:43 +0000

> lives on within enterprises and academia.

Can we not multicast the audio using other tools?   There are a number of
perfectly good ones in use, for IPv6 too, e.g. for our university radio
station we use:

http://www.surgeradio.co.uk/listen/advanced.html

and we use similar tools to (with permission) retransmit Virgin Radio:

http://www.ipv6.ecs.soton.ac.uk/virginradio/vruk-hi-mp3.m3u (MP3)
http://www.ipv6.ecs.soton.ac.uk/virginradio/vruk-hi-ogg.m3u (Ogg Vorbis)

Similar tools could be used to make the IETF audio available, maybe for
the Paris IETF?  (Especially since Renater are very active with IPv6 Multicast
as coordinators of www.m6bone.net)

Tim

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:52:59 +0000

> http://www.ipv6.ecs.soton.ac.uk/virginradio/vruk-hi-mp3.m3u (MP3)

Just to confirm these are IPv6 unicast, but we support multicast for
both also.

-- 
Tim

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:43:41 -0800 (PST)

> lives on within enterprises and academia.

I look forward to more opportunities for multicast evangelism in the 
future. I think I can speak for Hans, Lucy, myself and the rest of the 
crew at the UO when I say we still believe that multicast holds out the 
promise of an empowering, subversive technology for data delivery whose 
time will come.

joelja

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:33:59 +0100

>promise of an empowering, subversive technology for data delivery whose 

"Bringing the power to the people(tm)" is really the way to go.

When people can use it then they might start using it and demanding it
from their ISP's. When they don't know it exists or cannot use it
because there is nobody providing it at all, they will never figure out
how much fun it is and the possibilities it can give them.

m6bone is doing a good job at this, getting more people connected though
is the next step. I sincerely hope that ISP's would start offering
multicast connectivity. They could do it in one go together with IPv6
connectivity. There are a few ISP's doing this as a trial/experimental
service. This allows their tech folks to play with it while not
demanding too much time from them when it breaks...

just my two rapfen... ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:31:23 +0100

I have always believed this sort of technology is driven by domestic use and the
missing component is 'always-on' Internet to the home (as opposed to paying per
minute of usage).  This started to appear around me (UK) in 2004; give it
another two years to gain market penetration and this technology will be viable

Tom Petch