Subject: RE: Voting (again)

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:20:13 -0700

> Dear Phillip,
> There is a motivation you forgot. It is to take control of 
> your particular 
> part of the world in using the IANA to lodge your vision 
> and/or your name. 
> Like a micro TLD Manager.

Folk greatly overestimate the effectiveness of IANA as a control point.

Why does the IESG think that it is a good idea to make it difficult to
get SRV prefix assignments? They should be assigned automatically. There
is no shortage of SRV prefixes, there is a finite number of TCP/IP port
numbers. It makes absolutely no sense to make folk grovel and submit an
RFC and get it through the IESG just to get a prefix assigned. 

I didn't do this for my non IETF protocols, I just made the prefixes up
myself. The chance of an accidental collision is infintesimal and could
be eliminated entirely if the allocation process was made sane.

Nobody is going to tread on my prefixes for the good reason that if they
do their protocol will break. 

Same goes for DNS RR assignments, if a breakaway group wants a new RR
and the IANA refuses, what happens next? If someone decides they are
going to use RR 42 and start doing so on any extended scale nobody else
will want it - not unless RRs become a scarce resource.

I come from a culture where the foundation myth consists of strange
women lying around in ponds distributing swords. Authority is a myth
that only has substance as long as people agree to believe in it.

> This goes beyond impressing your commercial/political 
> relations in having 
> signed an RFC in their area - what you quote as the second 
> motivation. You 
> become a permanent acknowledged part of the core of the Internet 
> metastructure. A part of the Internet Nobility. A new Larry 
> Robert, Doug 
> Engelbart, Louis Pouzin, Jon Postel, Vint Cerf ....
> jfc

Yes, but those people are all known for innovating and producing
'stuff'.

Getting your name on an RFC does not make you Vint Cerf. Becoming chair
of the IETF does not make you Vint Cerf either.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:35:51 +0200

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
...
>  Becoming chair

I can confirm this.

    Brian