Subject: IETF Throughput (was RE: Voting (again))

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:06:37 -0500

IMO the major problem to be solved is IETF throughput, takes far too
long to produce RFCs, **years**, and getting worse.  Unacceptably long
for users of the standards.  IESG is a bottleneck, well known, stated in
RFC 3773 http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc3774.txt?number=3774, Section 2.6.2
"Workload of the IESG"

There are 2 issues to be solved wrt throughput:

1. needs to be vastly increased 
2. with no loss in current quality

Candidate solution: 
1. WG takes over full responsibility for RFC production ==> parallel
processing
2. IESG maintains RFC quality with uniform WG process created,
maintained, and enforced by IESG.

The PROTO team has a 'shepherding' proposal to offload some of the RFC
approval work to WGs.  IMO this doesn't go far enough to offload the
IESG sufficiently to eliminate the IESG bottleneck and create a parallel
process at the WG level.

WG procedures would be developed to ensure RFC quality.  The procedures
would be created, maintained, and enforced by the IESG.  WGs I
participate in are mostly competent and thorough in RFC production,
necessary cross-WG review is done, etc.  Many comments on this thread
that this quality isn't uniform across WGs, and needs to be.

I see no reason this couldn't be made to work, proof is that it works
like this, successfully, in other SDOs.

Jerry Ash

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf