Subject: RE: french crypto regulations relating to personal encryption usage by visitors?

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:16:05 -0800

> And as an American, I'd just like to say that this is an embarrassment
to
> me.  Free trade, but not free travel. How can you have one without the
> other?

Actually, there was a period in the 80's during which US tourists had to
obtain a visa before visiting France. This followed terrorist bombings
in Paris. The French authorities wanted to restrict movements of
potential terrorists. The terrorist movements involved nationals of
former French colonies, and given various treaties it was only possible
to require visas for nationals of these countries if they were also
required from nationals of every country outside the European Union --
including the US. Do you see the parallel with the current US
legislation?

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Anthony G. Atkielski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:22:46 +0200

Christian Huitema writes:

> Actually, there was a period in the 80's during which US tourists had
> to obtain a visa before visiting France. This followed terrorist
> bombings in Paris. The French authorities wanted to restrict movements
> of potential terrorists. The terrorist movements involved nationals of
> former French colonies, and given various treaties it was only
> possible to require visas for nationals of these countries if they
> were also required from nationals of every country outside the
> European Union -- including the US. Do you see the parallel with the
> current US legislation?

No.