Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:03:24 -0400

I've just reviewed the ongoing arguments about the draft in question and 
re-read the draft itself.

What strikes me is the level of argument over one section that could easily 
be adjusted. I would recommend adjusting section 5 to say: "The strongest 
available secure authentication mechanism is recommended". Let's face it, 
the SMTP AUTH options are driven from the referenced protocol documents 
(RFC2554).

Can we move on and get this document completed? Can we get the security 
folks to help work on the next generation of RFC2554? It's time to decouple 
that from a document that says "Use the Submission protocol so we can 
support customers who're roaming, and ensure we aren't also permitting spam 
relay."

What those of us operating networks would really like is a document like 
the one under consideration to point software vendors at and say "We as 
ISPs need you to support this so we can support your customers."

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:52:41 -0500

In <[email-masked]> Daniel Senie <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've just reviewed the ongoing arguments about the draft in question
> and re-read the draft itself.

I realize that I am only adding a voice of approval for this document
during the last call, but over the last several days, I have also had
the chance to re-read the draft and follow the ongoing discussions
here.

I completely agree with Daniel's comments and suggestions.  This is
fundementally a very good document and should be published as soon as
possible.

-wayne