Subject: RE: IETF 63, visa information

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:00:05 -0700

> > I also assume it is especially difficult to get the visa for folks
who
> > are not US citizens.
> why would that be?

Different visa requirements apply to citizen of different countries,
depending of the particular treaties between these countries and France.
The requirements are based on the nationality of the visitors, not on
their countries of residence. This can lead to problems when US
residents who are not US citizens travel abroad, as their travel
organizers may wrongly assume that they don't need a visa.

I had a quite vivid personal experience about 10 years ago, when my lab
invited a distinguished scientist to give a keynote to a conference in
France. He flew from the US, showed his passport to the immigration
officer, and was immediately placed in detention -- he had a Latin
American passport and no visa. That particular incident ended well, as
we used the ministry of research hierarchy to intensely lobby the
immigration services. He was eventually granted a visitor's visa.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf