Subject: Fwd: WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:27:21 -0400

Just FYI --

The IESG is currently considering the attached charter for a new IETF 
working group, and we are interested in gauging the level of support 
for this work within the community.  Another IESG member suggested 
that I should send this charter here, to ensure that anyone in the 
IETF who is interested in this work could see the proposed charter.

If you have an informed opinion about this work, please let us know 
whether you think that the IESG should or should not charter this 
working group by sending e-mail to [email-masked].

Thanks,
Margaret

>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:52:27 -0400
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)
>
>A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area. The IESG has
>not made any determination as yet. The following draft charter was submitted,
>and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to
>the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by June 22nd.
>
>+++
>
>Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)
>=====================================================
>
>Current Status: Proposed Working Group
>
>Chair(s):
>TBD
>
>Internet Area Director(s):
>Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
>Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
>
>Internet Area Advisor:
>Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
>
>Technical Advisor:
>Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
>
>Secretary(ies):
>TBD
>
>Mailing Lists:
>General Discussion: [email-masked]
>To Subscribe: http://www.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge
>Archive: http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge
>
>Description of Working Group:
>
>The TRILL WG will design a solution for shortest-path frame routing in
>multi-hop IEEE 802.1 Ethernet networks with arbitrary topologies,
>using the link-state routing protocol technology.
>
>This work will initially be based on draft-perlman-rbridge-03.txt.
>
>The design should have the following properties:
>
>- Minimal or no configuration required
>- Load-splitting among multiple paths
>- Routing loop mitigation (possibly through a TTL field)
>- Support of multiple points of attachment
>- Support for broadcast and multicast
>- No significant service delay after attachment
>- No less secure than existing bridged solutions
>
>Any changes introduced to the Ethernet service model should be
>analyzed and clearly documented. To ensure compatibility with IEEE
>VLANs and the Ethernet service model, the WG will request an IEEE
>liaison relationship with IEEE 802.1.
>
>It is not an explicit requirement that the solution should be able to
>run on existing IP routers or IEEE 802 switches as a software upgrade.
>However, the working group should take deployment considerations into
>account, to ensure that the solution can interwork with bridges in a
>flexible manner (e.g., to allow incremental deployment into LANs that
>currently use 802.1D bridges).
>
>The TRILL working will work with the L2VPN WG and IEEE 802.1 to
>develop interworking between TRILL and 802.1D bridges at the edge, such
>that a bridged sub-cloud could be attached to TRILL devices in more than
>one place for redundancy.
>
>The solution must not interfere with the end-to-end transparency of
>the Internet architecture or with end-to-end congestion control and
>QOS mechanisms.
>
>The WG will work on the following items:
>
>(1) Develop a problem statement and architecture document that
>describes the high-level TRILL architecture, discusses the
>scalability of that architecture, describe the threat model
>and security impacts of the TRILL solution, and describes the
>expected impacts (if any) of the TRILL solution on the Ethernet
>service model.
>
>(2) Define the requirements for a TRILL-capable routing protocol, and
>select one or more existing routing protocols that could meet
>those requirements.
>
>(3) Work with the appropriate Routing area working group to extend an
>existing routing protocol to meet the TRILL working group
>requirements.
>
>Note: The TRILL working group is not chartered to develop a new
>routing protocol or to make substantial modifications to an
>existing routing protocol. If, during the requirements definition
>and selection phase, the TRILL working group discovers that no
>existing routing protocol will meet their needs, we will need to
>re-assess the TRILL WG charter to determine how/if this work
>should proceed.
>
>(4) Produce a (set of) TRILL specification(s) for standards track
>publication that defines what information must be carried in an
>encapsulation header for data packets, and determine how to map
>that information to various link types (only IEEE 802 links
>initially)
>
>The TRILL working group is chartered to undertake all of the above
>tasks and may begin work on more than one of these tasks in parallel.
>However, the problem statement and architecture document should be
>completed before the details of the base protocol are finalized, while
>there is still time to consider changes to the architecture without
>major impacts on established specifications.
>
>Goals and Milestones:
>
>Aug 05 Accept Problem statement and architecture document as a WG
>work item
>Aug 05 Accept base protocol specification as a WG document
>Oct 05 Accept routing protocol requirements as a WG work item
>Dec 05 Submit problem statement and architecture document to the IESG
>for publication as an Informational RFC
>Mar 06 Submit routing protocol requirements to the IESG for
>publication as an Informational RFC
>Mar 06 Choose routing protocol(s) that can meet the requirements.
>Apr 06 Start work with routing area WG(s) to undertake TRILL extensions.
>Sep 06 Base protocol specification submitted to the IESG for
>publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
>Dec 06 Re-charter or shut down the WG
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>IETF-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
>

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf