Subject: Something else to complain about :-)

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:13:20 -0700 (PDT)

Remember last time you registered for an IETF meeting?

Does this ring a bell at all?

http://www.unixwiz.net/ndos-shame.html

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:23:34 -0400

> http://www.unixwiz.net/ndos-shame.html

On the other hand, while the IETF site gets at least this right,
the majority of the listed sites that I'm checked or used also
manage to believe that "+" can't appear in an email local-part,
etc.

    john

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:11:06 +0200

> manage to believe that "+" can't appear in an email local-part,

Nor as the prefix to a phone number, despite being the de facto
standard.

    Brian

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:08:41 -0400

> manage to believe that "+" can't appear in an email local-part,

I don't use many of the sites on that list, but I've certainly found plenty 
of sites over the years that don't like '+'.  Once upon a time, many of 
these would inexplicably permit '=', to the extent that it has become 
common to parse '+' and '=' the same way.

At least I have the good fortune to have an address that is unambiguous 
even without the '+'....

-- Jeff

---

From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:54:51 -0700 (PDT)

Yo Brian!

> Nor as the prefix to a phone number, despite being the de facto

Not a de facto standard, a real standerd.

ITU E.123 specifies the + prefix to denote the country code in a phone
number.  Lot's of folks mistake the international +1 country code for
the USA with the common local usage of 1 for LD access from some USA
phone lines.  They are not the same thing.

RGDS
GARY
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Blvd, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	[email-masked]  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676