Subject: IETF 63, visa information

From: "Liqiang\(Larry\) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:10:05 -0700

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for how to get visa in order
to go to IETF63. 

Is there any assistance provided by IETF? 

I also assume it is especially difficult to get the visa for folks who
are not US citizens.

Thanks.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:43:21 -0700

IETF provides you with a letter of invitation that you could use
to get a visa.

http://www.ietf.org/meetings/invite_letter.html

to get a visa, you have to go to the nearest French Consulate.
France has started issuing "biometric visas", which requires you
to apply in person. you cant mail the application in. more
information at
http://www.consulfrance-sanfrancisco.org/english/visa/en_vs_index.html

Vijay

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:52:20 +0200

>I am not sure if this is the proper forum for how to get visa in order

Information was provided for SF. More generally go to:
http://www.diplomatie.fr/venir/visas/

>I also assume it is especially difficult to get the visa for folks who

This is a very strange idea.
jfc

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:51:30 +0100

> I also assume it is especially difficult to get the visa for folks who

why would that be?

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:48:54 +0200

>> I also assume it is especially difficult to get the visa for folks who

"citizens of countries that are not members of the European Union, but 
where the European Union suspects that a significant number of people from 
that country would like to immigrate to Europe" is probably a more accurate 
description of the class of people who find it difficult to get visas.

>From all I hear, the walls of Fortress Europe are still quite a bit lower 
than the walls preventing visits to the USA, but the difficulty of getting 
into Europe (and, I'm sorry to say, Norway) increases in direct proportion 
to the degree to which European governments see uncontrolled immigration as 
a problem. (and in my opinion, the so called war on terrorism has NOTHING 
to do with it).

Do apply for visas as soon as possible, if you need them.

AND - apply for visas for the Canadian meeting in November as soon as you 
can, too - it is not likely that it's very much simpler than Europe.

The amount of complication that governments' rules create for international 
cooperation depresses me deeply. But I have little hope for any improvement 
in the near future.

                       Harald

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:24:53 -0400

On 26 Jun 2005, at 14:48, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> AND - apply for visas for the Canadian meeting in November as soon as 
> you can, too - it is not likely that it's very much simpler than 
> Europe.

For those interested in the requirements to enter Canada in November, 
the following URLs may be of use:

   http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.html
   http://www.cic.gc.ca/francais/visiter/index.html

Joe