Subject: About Internet Draft Again :)

From: zhen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:42:20 -0300

I'm sorry to bring this up again. I read the Tao and understand what it 
says, but still I don't know the answer.

Can we submit an I-D while at the same time publishing a paper?  Is the 
overlap ok?

sincerely

Zhen

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:48:13 -0400

>Can we submit an I-D while at the same time publishing a paper?  Is the 

The I-D process doesn't care.  The paper venue might.

		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: zhen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:53:03 -0300

Hmm, I kinda feel these should be two totally different things. Making 
standardization is non-profitable, both for the groups and individuals, 
but paper publications are definitely necessary  in order to graduate :p

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:20:05 -0400

>but paper publications are definitely necessary  in order to graduate :p

Right, but conferences and journals generally want something that 
hasn't been published before, which is why you have to check with the 
venue.

It's quite possible they won't care.  I-Ds are not reviewed, and thus 
may count as web postings or technical reports.  But the IETF can't 
tell some conference or journal how to behave.