Subject: Re: Zero Configuration Printers in Terminal Room

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:14:35 +0100

>     While Stewart is absolutely 100% correct from a technical  
>standpoint, we'd really appreciate it if you didn't do that. We very  
>specifically didn't advertise the addresses of the printers directly,  
>but rather pointed everyone at a print spooler. This is for several  
>reasons. First, this gives the terminal room staff more of an ability  
>to clear out large or broken jobs if something goes awry. Secondly,  
>it allows for a much deeper queue, should a big job or two come in at  
>a peek printing time. Finally, the Terminal_Room_Printers queue  
>distributes jobs across both printers.
>
>     So, if making those few extra clicks don't overtax people too  
>much, we'd greatly appreciate following the instructions as distributed.
>
>     Thanks!

You can easily advertise your print spooler, if you want, so that it 
shows up as an available print service in the "Printer" menu's Bonjour 
list, just like the printers themselves do. All you have to do is add a 
few lines to the DNS zone file for ietf.org:

>; Enable drowsing for this domain
>b._dns-sd._udp                     PTR @
>db._dns-sd._udp                    PTR @
>lb._dns-sd._udp                    PTR @
>
>; Advertise Print Service
>$INCLUDE ietf63printers _printer._tcp

The text of the "ietf63printers" file goes something like this (except 
you'd replace the information below with the information pertaining to 
the print spooler you want to advertise):

>@                               IN PTR IETF\ 63\ Printer\ A\ \(Term-01\)
>                                   PTR IETF\ 63\ Printer\ B\ \(Term-02\)
>
>IETF\ 63\ Printer\ A\ \(Term-01\)  SRV 0 0 515 wired-4-10
>                                   TXT pdl=application/postscript
>wired-4-10                         A   86.255.4.10
>
>IETF\ 63\ Printer\ B\ \(Term-02\)  SRV 0 0 515 wired-4-11
>                                   TXT pdl=application/postscript
>wired-4-11                         A   86.255.4.11

Any client machine with "ietf.org" as a search domain (e.g. learned via 
DHCP) will then automatically discover these advertised print services.

To demonstrate the example, I've set up "ietfprinters.org" as illustrated 
above. Mac OS X 10.4 users can see for themselves how it works by 
manually entering "ietfprinters.org" into their list of search domains, 
and the advertised print services will magically appear in the print 
dialog.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf