Subject: Zero Configuration Printers in Terminal Room

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:23:04 +0100

At IETF 63 in Paris, the helpful terminal room people are, as is 
customary, distributing sheets of paper with instructions saying how to 
set up printing on various different operating systems.

This quick email is just to point out that the Mac users here don't 
actually need to follow the printing instructions on that sheet. If 
you're using a Mac, you don't need to open System Preferences, or add, 
set up, or configure anything. When you plug your laptop into one of the 
Ethernet connections in the terminal room area and bring up the "Print" 
dialog box in any application, you'll see that the two HP printers are 
already there, as if by magic, in the "Printer" popup menu, under the 
"Bonjour" heading. They call themselves Term-01 and Term-02.

All network printers manufactured in the last year or two by HP, or 
pretty much any other printer maker, do this.

Windows users can get Bonjour for Windows from
<http://www.apple.com/bonjour>

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:49:27 +0200

While Stewart is absolutely 100% correct from a technical  
standpoint, we'd really appreciate it if you didn't do that. We very  
specifically didn't advertise the addresses of the printers directly,  
but rather pointed everyone at a print spooler. This is for several  
reasons. First, this gives the terminal room staff more of an ability  
to clear out large or broken jobs if something goes awry. Secondly,  
it allows for a much deeper queue, should a big job or two come in at  
a peek printing time. Finally, the Terminal_Room_Printers queue  
distributes jobs across both printers.

     So, if making those few extra clicks don't overtax people too  
much, we'd greatly appreciate following the instructions as distributed.

     Thanks!

     - Jim