Subject: Last day: Call for volunteers: narrative minutes of IESG meetings

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:25:43 +0200

Today's the last day to volunteer. By the way, we're thinking
of picking two volunteers, to share the load.

     Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Call for volunteers: narrative minutes of IESG meetings
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:50:05 -0400
From: Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]>
To: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>

The comments on the attached proposal were strongly favourable.
The IESG would now like to call for volunteers to act as its
Recording Secretary ("scribe") for a 6 month trial period.

Volunteers should write to [email-masked] by August 2nd.
We'll keep names confidential, unless of course people choose
to volunteer in public.

Details will be settled with the chosen volunteer, but the general
guidelines are:

- the scribe will attend the regular IESG telechats
(11:30 - 14:00 US ET on alternate Thursdays; this time cannot be changed).

- the scribe will record narrative minutes of the discussions, and
will not take part in the discussions except to ask for clarifications.

- the narrative minutes will be published after review by the IESG.
The intent is to do this about two weeks after the meeting in question.

- confidential items (principally personnel discussions) will not be
reported in detail. The scribe will not take part in any sessions that
liaisons are excluded from (i.e. nominating discussions and appeal
discussions).

    Brian Carpenter

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: A proposed experiment in narrative minutes of IESG meetings
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:19:34 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Organization: IBM
To: [email-masked]

The IESG is interested in carrrying out an experiment to publish
narrative minutes for IESG meetings as well as the regular minutes
of decisions taken.

Currently the IESG minutes are a formal record of decisions taken
and (like the agenda) are generated semi-automatically by the
secretariat. This is a well-oiled process that we don't want to
disturb. However, the community clearly would like more information
about the way the IESG reaches its decisions, beyond the record
of comments on each document that is stored in the I-D tracker.

We propose that, for an initial period of 6 months, a member of
the community will be added to regular IESG meetings as a "recording
secretary" who will write narrative minutes of the discussions,
which will be posted publicly after IESG review for accuracy.
(As always, personnel discussions will need to remain private
or be minuted with great care.)

The IESG welcomes comments on this proposal, to [email-masked]
or [email-masked] as appropriate. If the community seems to be
in favour of this experiment, we will soon call for volunteers
and pick one person to act for the initial six months. After
six months, we will ask the community whether the results
justify continuing the effort. The main question will be whether
the community is getting useful extra information.

(Thanks to Spencer Dawkins for triggering this idea.)

    Brian for the IESG

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf