Subject: [Fwd: Turing Lecture by Cerf/Kahn (watch webcast or attend)]

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:50:42 +0200

Hi everybody,

We don't normally advertise events on this list, but the attached
seems to deserve an exception, as a very special event in the
life of the Internet community.

    Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Turing Lecture by Cerf/Kahn (watch webcast or attend)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:23:33 -0500
From: Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan <[email-masked]>

<snip>
--------------
I'm contacting you about a unique event taking place on
Monday, August 22, 2005, in Philadelphia, PA.

This year's ACM Turing Award winners, Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn will
be
delivering the Turing Lecture at the ACM SIGCOMM 2005 Conference.
Their citation reads:
     "For pioneering work on internetworking, including the design and
     implementation of the Internet's basic communications protocols,
     TCP/IP, and for inspired leadership in networking."

You have 3 choices:
* attend the Lecture in Philadelphia, PA, US, Monday Aug 22nd
* watch the webcast live (possibly together with other colleagues)
* watch the archived webcast when it's convenient for you.

If you are in close proximity to the event, we invite you to attend the
lecture free-of-charge.  (This is the first time that ACM is able to
open
the Turing Lecture to all.) You are also invited to the early Reception!

Here's the Turing Lecture Schedule at the Univ. of Pennsylvania
(8/22/2005)
4:30 - 5:30pm, Reception, Irvine Auditorium
5:30 - 6:00pm, Seating, Irvine Auditorium
6:00 - 7:30pm, Turing Lecture, Irvine Auditorium (will be webcast live)

      The Lecture will be a discussion between Vint and Bob (moderated by
      Lyman Chapin), with the title:
      "Assessing the Internet:
         Lessons Learned, Strategies for Evolution, and Future
Possibilities"

Feel free to invite your colleagues, students, and guests as well.
Please note that space for the lecture is limited; requests will be
filled
on a first-come, first-served basis.

To reserve a ticket to attend the lecture,
you'll need to reserve one here:
http://campus.acm.org/public/TuringLecture/reservation.cfm

For more information on the Turing Lecture and directions, check out the
Turing Lecture website for more details:
http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2005/turinglecture.html

Thanks,
Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan,
on behalf of Vint, Bob, ACM & SIGCOMM

P.S. Don't forget that ACM SIGCOMM will stream it live over
      the Internet that Cerf & Kahn helped create!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
If you have not heard about this year's Turing Award or have not heard
about Cerf and Kahn, here's a little background:

The A.M. Turing Award is often recognized as the "Nobel Prize of
Computing", and has been awarded for 39 years; however this is the first
year that network researchers have received the Turing Award!!!

Their first paper on "internetworking" was published in IEEE
Transactions on
Communications, May 1974:  A Protocol for Packet Network
Intercommunication.
If you haven't read their first paper, add it to your summer reading
list!

Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf started in 1973 to solve the problem of how to
interconnect a network of networks, i.e. an "internetwork", or
"internet".
For Bob, new at DARPA, his interest was in building and connecting a
packet
radio network to the existing ARPA network along with a packet satellite
network.  Bob invited Vint to work with him, and they jointly designed
TCP,
a protocol with "two headers":  an internetwork header and a process
header.
It took over 5 years before the two headers were split into two
protocols:
IP and TCP.  In 1973 Vint was already the chair of the International
Network
Working Group, so he was interested as well in solving the problem of
interconnecting several existing diverse networks: the US ARPA network
to the
French network Cyclades & the British network at National Physics
Laboratory.

The following link has short bios on Cerf and Kahn:
http://www.acm.org/awards/turing_citations/cerf_kahn.html

At a reception at the Computer History Museum June 9th, Vint and Bob
"cited
the collaborative nature of their work, acknowledging the contributions
from many in the room who had made their achievements possible."  For
more
information see:
http://campus.acm.org/public/membernet/storypage_2.cfm?
ci=July_2005&story=2&CFID=48919977&CFTOKEN=16561738

Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan
([email-masked])
Contact info:  www.cs.utexas.edu/~chris/

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf