Subject: Re: BCPs and STDs

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:58:39 -0700 (PDT)

*> 
  *> You really need to put everything that people may be looking for on a  
  *> single page and point to that page with big, bright arrows. Or better  
  *> yet, make that page your homepage. Or better yet, make that page the  
  *> IETF homepage. It's very strange that the list of IETF standards  
  *> isn't kept on the IETF site.
  *> 

The RFC series includes more than IETF standards.  We believe that
providing access to the RFCs is a natural function for the RFC
Editor... in fact, we have been doing it for 30+ years.

RFC Editor/bb

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: grenville armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:07:48 +1000

Bob Braden wrote:
	[..]
> Editor... in fact, we have been doing it for 30+ years.

I think the problem is (and I've wondered about this oddity previously too)
that the *IETF* main website should have a *direct* link to "the RFC
search engine". The bottom link that says "RFC Editor" is not an
obvious decision path for a casual www.ietf.org user, and the 
main "RFC Pages" link only directly offers a lookup for people who
know the RFC number they're after. Again, not great for casual
(or can't-remember-what-RFC-had-this-word) users.

I don't think the real question is about the RFC Editor site's layout.
It's about why the IETF main page itself doesn't provide a link directly
to a/the search engine for RFCs.

cheers,
gja

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:08:53 +0200

Grenville,

All part of a web site that grew little by little...

That's why the tools team is taking a global look at it.

Let's see. You go

IESG Activities/Tools team and it tells you how to write to them.

    Brian

grenville armitage wrote:
> obvious decision path for a casual www.ietf.org user, and the main "RFC 
> Pages" link only directly offers a lookup for people who