Subject: RE: NATs as firewalls

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:22:05 -0000

> > Can you show me real examples of an RIR repossessing 
> address space?  If
> > so, what is stopping them from reclaiming some of those /8s?
> 
> The legal costs... While ARIN would have one hell of a court 
> battle trying
> to reclaim 18/8, the MIT Office of the President would have no trouble
> recognizing they were sitting on a pile of endowed chairs, 
> and would shoot
> the entire network staff if necessary to put that block on 
> the market. 

I would rather hear what the president of MIT has to say about this than
trust your comments. Do you speak for the president of MIT?

In any case, I don't have any examples to present since most of the
reclamation that has been done over the past few years was done without
any fanfare. The RIRs and the organizations involved are really the only
ones who know the details. Bill Manning was somehow involved in
identifying blocks to be reclaimed so he may be able to provide some
illumination without heat.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. Why on earth would the president of a university, with a reputation
for ADVANCING the field of technology, care about which IP addresses are
used in the university's network?

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:15:31 +0000

> illumination without heat.

	predating the existance of ARIN, LACNIC, and AFRINIC, i worked
	with the permission of the then IANA and our team reclaimed 14%
	of the total IPv4 space and put it back into the freepool. We 
	could have done more (estimates of another 6-8% were feasable)
	but we ran out of funds and the IANA ceased being the registry
	of first/last resort.

	Time, processes, administrative thinking, and other factors 
	have changed, which lead me to believe that reclaimation - as
	such - will not happen again to any noticable degree.

--bill

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:25:49 -0800

> 	such - will not happen again to any noticable degree.

Even if one made the effort to reclaim, we are already burning through ~1/2%
per month, and in a couple of years as we near the end of the 'Reserved'
pool that is likely to be over 1% per month. So take back an entire /8, what
are you going to do 2 weeks later? Find the financing to dredge up 10% (to
be generous), that didn't even get a full year of run rate. I agree with
Bill, it is just not worth the effort so whatever reclamation happens will
go unnoticed. 

Tony