Subject: RE: References to prior work (was: Re: Last call comments aboutdraft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:56:39 -0000

> > Fully disagree. A reference to a dead document that the 
> > reader cannot find directly provides no histor nor context. 
> 
> Many of the most important events in history are only known 
> through second hand accounts.

Some RFC authors provide an ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS section in which they
acknowledge the people that provided input to their RFC. Dave Crocker
did this in RFC 2142 and specifically mentioned an earlier draft by Paul
Vixie. If the IETF were to request authors to mention I-D names in such
a section it would satisfy the historians but would not contaminate the
REFERENCES section. Since I-Ds are rather like papers submitted for
publication but rejected, it makes sense that they are not listed along
with formal references. 

--Michael Dillon

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 05:54:04 -0600

FWIW, Michael's suggestion below meets both needs I've seen in this thread - 
acknowledging prior work and documenting prior art.

It's also permissive (you can do it), not restrictive (you have to do it), 
and certainly not requiring you have to do an extensive search for anything 
you didn't use, but could have.

Work for me.

Spencer

From: <[email-masked]>

--Michael Dillon