Subject: Re: item for discussion - IAOC Q&A

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:41:57 -0800 (PST)

*> 
  *> I assume most/all IETF regulars at the time knew the Copyright Story. 
  *> But tourists like myself could also publish RFCs, and I wouldn't jump 
  *> to conclusions about their/our agreeing with the unstated agreement.
  *> 
  *> Arnt
  *> 

So, would it surprise you to find out now that someone else actually
owns your text and can restrict the way others use it?  I'll be you
would be surprised... you ASSUMED it was "public domain", in those
simpler times.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:29:52 +0100

> would be surprised... you ASSUMED it was "public domain", in those 

Mu. I just wrote it. Nothing and noone forced me to make any such 
assumption. The question did not (AFAICR) ever enter my mind.

Let me try it again: Back then randoms like myself could write an RFC 
and never think about legal matters. You're now assuming that we would 
have assumed, and that's a large dose of assumption.

(In my case I'm sure I'll sign and fax whatever I need to sign and fax, 
and I hope everyone will. But I wouldn't feel sure until all the 
signatures are on file.)

Arnt