Subject: RFC certification organization...

From: Stjepan Gros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:02:07 +0200

Hi to all,

At the SAAG meeting on Friday question has been raised about some
provider of mail server software that violates certain rfcs. I don't
know which one, but this is not important. Also, on the RRG meeting in
saturday a provider has been mentioned that deaggregates it's network
because of "security" gains. Probably there are other, not so drastic,
examples of abuse of the work done by IETF.

All that made me question myself, why there is no something like WiFi
alliance that certifies products to be compliant with RFC's? This
organization (or whatever) can also "certify" ISPs to comply with best
practices etc. something like ISO does with ISO9001. It could also
prohibit use of IETF sign and/or compliance claims in cases of (severe)
violations. Finally, the money earned could be fed to ISOC, and to the
IETF for it's expenses.

Maybe topic has been discussed already on this list and/or maybe it's
pointless and/or maybe it's for some other list, but I had to try
anyway... So, please be gentle. :)

Stjepan Gros

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:42:15 +0200

My personal opinion is that IETF would be taking a large risk
by doing anything like this. Certification carries serious
legal implications and therefore creates serious potential
legal risks for the certifier. That needs a completely different
type of organization than the IETF. I think we should leave this
to independent labs and industry groups. See the IPv6 Ready Logo
for example (http://www.ipv6ready.org/).

    Brian