Subject: Seeking a new IAB Executive Director

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:10:42 -0400

All,

Due to other commitments Phil Roberts will not be able to continue
his role as Executive Director. Therefore the IAB is currently looking
to appoint a replacement.

The Executive Director is a non-voting ex-officio member of the IAB.
(See RFC2850, the IAB's charter, for details).  We are looking for
suggestions, based on the brief  profile for the role, below.

We would like you to consider this profile and either suggest yourself
or other people that you think that would fit well in  this role by
sending mail to the IAB at [email-masked].  We do not  intend to disclose
the names of the nominees in public, but we may wish to discuss this
issue with third parties such as the Area Directors.  If you have a
problem with your name being mentioned in this context, please let us
know.

Note that this profile is written for a somewhat ideal candidate.  We
fully realize that such people are probably non-existent.  So  don't
hesitate to suggest somebody who in  your opinion would fit this  role
but might not meet all the qualifications 100 percent. Here  is the
profile:

 - Writing skills.  The Executive Director keeps and edits the minutes
   of the IAB meetings and prepares them for public dissemination.

 - Sysadmin skills.  The Executive Director handles the administration
   of the IAB websites, including the maintenance of tools such as
   Wikis,  Jabber servers, email lists, etc.

 - IETF experience.  It is desirable for the candidate to have at least
   some experience with the IETF.

 - Organizational skills.  The Executive Director serves as a
   program manager for IAB work items.  It is desirable for the
   candidate to be able to juggle many outstanding tasks simultaneously.

-  Enough time available.  For example, it is preferable that the
   candidate not be chair of more than one IETF WG, or a member
   of the IESG or IAB. The Executive Director would be expected
   to be present in person at IETF meetings and IAB Retreats
   (typically one per year). The IAB has approximately 5 hours of
   teleconferences per month.

We would like to receive your comments & suggestions by April 2
2007 and we plan to make a decision as soon as possible thereafter.
It will be helpful if you indicate in your email how you or the
suggested person fits this profile as best as possible.

on behalf of the IAB,

Leslie and Olaf 

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:31:28 +0100

Hi Leslie, all,

I've a small comment regarding the profile. I'm not thinking in any specific
candidate, but I think this is very relevant for a fair selection.

The first point, keeping and editing the minutes, almost excludes the
non-native English speakers, at least, they will have a much more difficult
job if a non-native candidate is appointed for this.

I think this concrete point never must be considered when selecting the
candidate among a possible pool, and thus even excluded from your call for
candidates. I'm sure that if the candidate selected can fulfill the rest of
the mission almost, and he/she has any problems with taking the minutes, it
should not be an issue to get support from other IAB members.

I fully understand that you already indicated that this is the profile of a
perfect candidate, etc., however, this specific task is not consequent with
the wide spectrum of participants in the IETF, and thus make it unfair.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:10:42 -0400
> Para: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>
> CC: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Seeking a new IAB Executive Director
> 
> All,
> 

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:48:12 +0100

> job if a non-native candidate is appointed for this.

As a counterpoint to that observation, I can think of several close  
friends who speak and write English far more elegantly and accurately  
than I do, none of whom learned English as a first language.

If there is a requirement to be able to read and write English  
accurately, then let it be specified as such and not by potentially  
false assumptions as to what childhood background anyone might  
imagine would influence linguistic performance.

Joe

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:41:22 +0100

> accurately, then let it be specified as such and not by potentially  false 
> assumptions as to what childhood background anyone might  imagine would 
> influence linguistic performance.
>
>
> Joe

Speaking only for myself ...

Joe has this exactly right (good job), and the I-star seems to understand 
this - just as an example, IESG is talking to non-native English speakers 
about the IESG scribe positions, at this IETF.

People who wonder about this should be looking at IAB meeting minutes - they 
are not (typically) he said/she said transcripts. See 
http://www.iab.org/documents/iabmins/iabmins.2007-01-10.html for a recent 
example. So capturing EKR at line rate, which I can't do either, is NOT the 
requirement.

IAB had more accessible minutes than IESG for years (IESG minutes were 
mostly "had no problem with", "remained under discussion"). That's why 
several people (including me) asked IESG to begin publishing narrative 
minutes in 2005.

The minutes are the IAB's public face, and are really important - this 
requirement, for "writing skills", is justified.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:38:33 +0200 (EET)

> job if a non-native candidate is appointed for this.
...

Jordi, what you may be missing that IETF is (for a lack of a better 
word) a meritocracy, not a democracy.  That includes finding the most 
suitable person for the job, so citing issues of unfairness (to those 
that may not fulfill requirements) misses the point.  If taking care 
of the minutes requires some degree of English skills, that's what 
should be required.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:31:02 +0100

It was only one opinion, not tried to generate a debate. We simply disagree,
same as some people want to have meetings only (or mainly) in US and not go
to regions where it can be cheaper and can get new participants. Just very
sad :-(

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:38:33 +0200 (EET)
> Para: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
> CC: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Re: Seeking a new IAB Executive Director
> 

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:40:45 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi,

Until Esperanto or some other language becomes the way we communicate,
let's stick with English. Like it or not, it is the common lingua 
franca.

And, no, it's not my native language either, but somehow I survive as
an editor of it :)

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:59:37 +0100

> And, no, it's not my native language either, but somehow I survive as

Even better is that the *rest of us* survive your being an editor of it.

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net