Subject: identifying yourself at the mic

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:33:44 +0100

When identifying yourself at the mic, it's completely useless if you
mumble your name, or say it at even approaching normal speed.  Slow down.
Many of you mumble it very quickly, and after the amplification system
munges it, it's just a buzz.

Even if your name was just said by the chair, the note taker might
benefit from hearing it a second or third time :-)

This is particularly the case for english speaking notetakers and
non-native english speaking speakers.  Alas, I at least, am stupid about
typing names from hearing them.  Often, the only way I can guess what
you said was because I already know who you are.

- -- 
]            Bear: "Me, I'm just the shape of a bear."          |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson,    Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked]      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy"); [

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:07:43 +0100

>you said was because I already know who you are.

As a non-native english speaker, I do have difficulties to understand
names of .... native english speakers.

May I make a suggestion: why not having some of these RFIDs or another
technology where the speaker would be identified by his card and his
name would be displayed on some additional TV display ? I think it
would benefit everyone to know who is the person on the mic.

Thierry

---

From: "Clint Chaplin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 02:53:42 -0700

People just don't seem willing to speak up when giving their name;
it's as if they're embarassed to say their own name.  They certainly
can be loud enough when giving their point.

Be loud, and be proud!

-- 
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Principal Engineer
Corporate Standardization (US)
SISA

---

From: "Clint Chaplin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 03:15:09 -0700

Perhaps requiring people to give their point in exactly the same
volume as they give their name might be an interesting protocol to try
out.

---

From: Xiaodong Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:30:32 +0800

Do we need to design a protocol that how we speak our own name clearly 
and loudly?
;-)

-- 
-- Xiaodong LEE [The best answer is doing]
   +86-10-58813020 
   mailto:[email-masked]
   http://www.lixiaodong.cn