Subject: Mail delivery problems

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:44:56 +0300

I recently got notice from IETF mailing lists that my mail has been
bouncing. The notice didn't have any examples of the bounces, so I
couldn't get any clue what is wrong. However, now I got a bounce
notice from bugtrag.. and it had this note

---------------
			The Postfix program

<[email-masked]>: host resalehost.networksolutions.com[205.178.189.128]
    refused to talk to me: 421 4.4.1 cacy-fpe-srv-1.symantec.com Unable to
    contact destination
---------------

Apparently "networksolutions" for some reason occasionally resolves
"burp.tkv.asdf.org" into "resalehost.networksolutions.com".

Isn't this behaviour totally antisocial from networksolutions and how
can it be stopped?

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:55:10 +0300

Well, insert foot in mouth... possibly the domain registration had
expired for a while. Still, DNS should then return "not found", right?

sorry for disturbing :-)

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:56:35 +0100

Markku Savela wrote:
> bouncing. The notice didn't have any examples of the bounces

Those bounces are delivery problems, see below why.

> so I couldn't get any clue what is wrong. However, now I got a bounce
[..]

> "burp.tkv.asdf.org" into "resalehost.networksolutions.com".

Ever though about the place where bugtraq is hosted?
Also note that the IETF has nothing to do with that.

> Isn't this behaviour totally antisocial from networksolutions and how

Antisocial is accusing organizations. Do a dig and find out:

org.                    172800  IN      NS      TLD3.ULTRADNS.org.
org.                    172800  IN      NS      TLD4.ULTRADNS.org.
org.                    172800  IN      NS      TLD5.ULTRADNS.INFO.
org.                    172800  IN      NS      TLD6.ULTRADNS.CO.UK.
org.                    172800  IN      NS      TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET.
org.                    172800  IN      NS      TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.
;; Received 349 bytes from 192.112.36.4#53(g.root-servers.net) in 126 ms

asdf.org.               86400   IN      NS      gw1.solid.fi.
asdf.org.               86400   IN      NS      gw.solid.fi.
;; Received 78 bytes from 199.7.66.1#53(TLD3.ULTRADNS.org) in 102 ms

tkv.asdf.org.           1800    IN      NS      ns.tkv.asdf.org.
;; Received 68 bytes from 193.65.201.11#53(gw1.solid.fi) in 50 ms

Now ask gw1.solid.fi where the NS is, eek a NS -> CNAME, that violates
some RFC's:

$ dig @gw1.solid.fi ns.tkv.asdf.org.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns.tkv.asdf.org.        86400   IN      CNAME   tkvnic.tkv.asdf.org.
tkvnic.tkv.asdf.org.    48291   IN      A       212.16.100.33

And that host is not alive. So the MX can't be resolved, nor the A
record of "tkv.asdf.org" and as such mail will bounce.

Conclusion: Fix your mail setup.

Instead of accusing other people of things they don't do.

Greets,
 Jeroen