Subject: IAOC Communications Plan: Review Requested

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 13:09:39 -0400

All;

The IAOC recognizes its responsibility to oversee IASA on behalf of the 
IETF community in a transparent manner and to that end publishes this 
Draft Communications Plan for community review before its adoption.

The Plan can be found at 
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/group/iaoc/wiki/CommsPlan
It is in pdf and doc/xls formats and consists of two documents, a draft 
plan and a matrix.

This draft Communications Plan identifies the information to be 
communicated to the community, the desired frequency and the mode of 
those communications.

RFC 4071 provides general and specific guidance to the IAOC and IAD 
regarding their responsibility to ensure transparency in the operation 
of the IASA. This Plan implements the requirements of RFC 4071 and 
provides additional reports to the community to enhance its visibility 
into the operation of the IASA.

Section C defines Confidential Information.

Section D identifies the communications channels the IAOC will employ to 
publish the report.

Section E defines the reports.

The Communications Plan Matrix provides the details of what, when and 
where of the reports to the community, as well as specifying the RFC 
4071 reference where applicable.

Feedback on this draft plan is welcome. The next iteration of the Plan 
will consider feedback received through 16 May 2007. Reviewing the 
MATRIX may be a good starting point for the review. Feedback should be 
addressed to iad at ietf.org.

Thanks for the assistance.

Ray Pelletier
IAD

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:06:06 +0200

The plan says that the primary form of communication with the community
will be in the form of a public Wiki.  A "Wiki" is unfortunately not a
precise term.  I'm not sure it automatically imply that there are any
indexes, a log of who made what changes when, or a search function, etc.

I would suggest that it should be required that all pages are reachable
from a single 'Table of Contents' page, that the log of changes in all
files are available publicly, and that a list of recent changes is
available.  A search function would also be usable.  Setting up a
mailing list that receives notification of every change to the wiki is
another idea.

If these mechanisms are not in place someone could create a wiki page
'OnSomeThingObscure' and if that page was never linked from any other
page, I doubt that anybody will find it.  It seems incorrect to me to
call writing such a page "communicating with the community".

Thanks,
Simon

Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]> writes:

> All;
>
> The IAOC recognizes its responsibility to oversee IASA on behalf of
> the IETF community in a transparent manner and to that end publishes
> this Draft Communications Plan for community review before its
> adoption.
>
> The Plan can be found at
> It is in pdf and doc/xls formats and consists of two documents, a
> draft plan and a matrix.
>
> Section D identifies the communications channels the IAOC will employ
> to publish the report.
>

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:20:03 +0200

> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/group/iaoc/wiki/CommsPlan

This results in an emtpy page with my browser.  Trying
to fix it locally I've removed all lines from 221 to
430 right before <div id="content" etc., and all lines
from 7 to 218 with inline styles.

Something with the structure is broken, there are open
<table>, <tr>, <td>, <div>, <ol>, and <li> elements at
the end, see http://validator.w3.org for the details.

I've attached the content, isolated the content works.
After that I saw that the raw (plain text) wiki input
is also available by adding ?format=txt to the URL.

> Section D identifies the communications channels the
> IAOC will employ to publish the report.

For D.1 (IAOC wiki) somebody has to look into the wiki
software, it shouldn't render content as XHTML-garbage.

Frank
Communications Plan

Draft Plan

The IAOC recognizes its responsibility to oversee IASA on behalf of the IETF community in a transparent manner and to that end seeks community review of this Communications Plan prior to its adoption. This draft Communications Plan identifies the information to be communicated to the community (e.g. financial and operational reports), the desired frequency and preferred mode of those communications (e.g. publications, e-mail posting, updates to the IAOC wiki, IETF Plenary presentations).

RFC 4071 provides general and specific guidance to the IAOC and IAD regarding their responsibility to ensure transparency in the operation of the IASA. This Plan implements the requirements of RFC 4071 and provides additional reports to the community to enhance its visibility into the operation of the IASA.

Section D identifies the communications channels the IAOC will employ to publish the report.

Section E defines the reports and provides the RFC 4071 reference where applicable.

The IAOC Communications Plan Matrix provides the details of what, when and where of the reports to the community, as well as specifying the RFC 4071 reference where applicable.

Feedback on this draft plan is welcome. Reviewing the MATRIX may be a good starting point for the review. Feedback should be addressed to iad at ietf.org.

* Draft Comms Plan Rev D PDF

* Draft Comms Plan Rev D Doc

* Draft Comms Plan MATRIX Rev D PDF

* Draft Comms Plan MATRIX Rev D Xls

Download in other formats:

Plain Text

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:44:09 +0200

Hi Frank,

>> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/group/iaoc/wiki/CommsPlan
...
> the end, see http://validator.w3.org for the details.

                 ... somebody has to look into the wiki
> software, it shouldn't render content as XHTML-garbage.

You're right, it shouldn't.  I'll look into it.

	Henrik

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 21:16:51 +0200

Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I'm not sure it automatically imply that there are any indexes,
> a log of who made what changes when, or a search function, etc.

Some wikis offer a revision history and a search function, e.g.
most openspf.org pages are based on a Wiki, which is a fork of
"Usemod".  That offers a news feed (RSS) for "recent changes".

The IAOC wiki is broken at the moment (at least from my POV),
but the IESG wiki using the same software has similar features,
check out <http://tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/timeline>

At the end of this page you find the feed URL.

> it should be required that all pages are reachable from a
> single 'Table of Contents' page, that the log of changes in
> all files are available publicly, and that a list of recent
> changes is available.

<http://tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/TitleIndex>
<http://tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/RecentChanges>

It's all there (for the IESG wiki)

> A search function would also be usable.

Fom the index I saw that a page FolkloreDrinks should exist,
and when I input that in the search form at the top I arrive
on a page with that title.

> Setting up a mailing list that receives notification of
> every change to the wiki is another idea.

IMO redundant if there's a news feed.  You could watch it
with a "google alert", and let the "alert" post to blogger
readable as pure HTML (i.e. without feed reader or ugly
Javascript approximations of a feed reader).  It's more
straight forward if you simply bookmark "recent changes".

Frank

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:51:04 +0200

> check out <http://tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/timeline>

Will the IAOC use the same wiki software?  I seems sub-optimal to
require the IAOC to use a particular wiki implementation.  It seems
better to list the requirements one should have on such an
implementation instead.  That gives the IAOC/tools team more freedom to
chose and/or develop its own software.

> straight forward if you simply bookmark "recent changes".

I believe a mailing list archive would give more confidence.  For
example, since mailing list archives are mirrored externally (and even
on people's own local machine in their MUAs), they aren't affected by
power outages on a single web server, or remote alteration of history by
everyone who has access to that particular web server.

/Simon

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:25:48 +0200

Hi Simon,

on 2007-05-03 09:51 Simon Josefsson said the following:
> Will the IAOC use the same wiki software?

Since it's up and running, why don't you go and have a look?

The links are here (and in the left-hand menu-bar of any
tools.ietf.org WG or wiki page):

  http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/
  http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/iaoc/

There's also, to complete the set, these:

  http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/trust/
  http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/bof/
  http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/wgchairs/
  http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/

>  I seems sub-optimal to

Well, since it's all in place and running, we've had the
needed freedom already ,;-)

> everyone who has access to that particular web server.

If you'll write an email notification plugin for Trac, I'll deploy
it.  Otherwise Frank might know of a RSS-to-email gateway.  As for
the backup part, all the tools.ietf.org wikis are replicated to all
the 3 tools servers every hour, so we don't have a single-point-of
failure, exactly.  Re-pointing the DNS in case of a crash will
take a little time to propagate, of course

(If someone wants to run a mirror of the content on the tools
servers, or donate a machine to set up as an additional tools
server, send me an email.)

	Henrik

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:43:29 +0200

I don't see any reference to the reports to Plenary at each IETF meeting
(both the short report presented on stage and the longer reports posted
to the wiki).

I liked it at the beginning when the IAOC also put out a short monthly
email to the community. Even though the pace of events may be less now,
a short email flagging any news is a lot more convenient than remembering
to look at minutes and reports on the wiki.

     Brian

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 09:46:17 +0200

There are at least four feed to email gateways:

http://exo.org.uk/code/rss2mail/
http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/rss2email/
http://newspipe.sourceforge.net/
http://home.gna.org/feed2imap/

Arnt