Subject: Questions on my role as the 2007-8 nomcom chair and the various discussions on the IETF list

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:29:18 -0700

Folks,

One person has voiced concerns on my "taking a strong public position" 
in the "Should I* opinions be afforded a special status?" thread while 
serving as the chair of the 2007-8 nomcom.  Perhaps there are others 
with similar concerns.

The role of the nomcom chair is clearly described in 3777 and I intend 
to conform to that RFC.  Beyond my assigned duties, I am an ordinary 
contributor at the IETF and my opinions count no more than other 
contributors' opinions.  For those who don't want to rely on my 
assurance, RFC 3777 comes to their rescue and mine.  The adviser and the 
at least three liaisons are expected to ensure that the chair in 
particular executes the assigned duties in the best interests of the 
IETF community.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

best regards,
Lakshminath
Nomcom 2007-8 Chair

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:40:18 +0200

I realize we're well into meta-discussions here, but quite frankly I 
find it refreshing that the NOMCOM chair is questioning the qualities 
that an IESG should have.  Not only do I think it appropriate, but I 
hope that the selectees feel comfortable asking questions about these 
sorts of things, so long as they don't reveal confidential information 
in the process, of course.

Eliot

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:54:11 -0400

At 12:29 AM -0700 6/13/07, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
>Folks,
>
>One person has voiced concerns on my "taking a strong public 
>position" in the "Should I* opinions be afforded a special status?" 
>thread while serving as the chair of the 2007-8 nomcom.  Perhaps 
>there are others with similar concerns.
>
>The role of the nomcom chair is clearly described in 3777 and I 
>intend to conform to that RFC.  Beyond my assigned duties, I am an 
>ordinary contributor at the IETF and my opinions count no more than 
>other contributors' opinions.  For those who don't want to rely on 
>my assurance, RFC 3777 comes to their rescue and mine.  The adviser 
>and the at least three liaisons are expected to ensure that the 
>chair in particular executes the assigned duties in the best 
>interests of the IETF community.
>
I think there is nothing wrong with your dual roles as individual 
participant in IETf discussions and as NOMCOM chair, especially since 
the chair is a non-voting member of the NOMCOM.

Steve