Subject: SeND & CGA Extensions BOF

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 17:43:09 +0200

Hi,

we have proposed a BOF on SeND and CGA extensions for the Chicago IETF. 
I attach the proposed charter below. There is a mailing list created 
for the discussion (https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cga-ext)

If you have comments about the proposed work, it would be appreciated.

Thanks, marcelo

Proposed charter for SeND & CGA Extensions BOF

Secure Neighbour Discovery (SeND) protocol as defined in RFC 3971
provides the security mechanisms to protecting the different
functions performed by the Neighbour Discovery (ND) protocol,
including the discovery of other nodes on the link and their
link-layer addresses, router discovery and reachability detection
for the paths to active neighbors. However, current SeND
specification lacks of support for ND Proxies as defined in
RFC 4389. The SeND protocol relies on the usage of
Cryptographically GEnerated Addresses (CGAs) to provide some of
these functions, in particular to provide IPv6 address ownership
proof to the other nodes on the link and authenticate node related
information of the ND protocol. CGAs are defined in RFC 3972 which
has been recently updated by RFC 4581 to define the CGA extension
format and by RFC-to-be draft-bagnulo-multiple-hash-cga-03.txt to
support multiple hash functions. While CGAs were originally
defined for the SeND protocol, they have proved to be a useful
security tool in other environments too, and its usage has been
proposed to secure other protocols such as the Shim6 multihoming
protocol and the Mobile IPv6 protocol. As the CGAs become more
widely used for different purposes, it is necessary to produce
some extensions to support such new usages.

The objective of this working group is to define extensions related
to both to the SeND protocol and to the CGAs. The following are
charter items for the working group:

- Extensions to the SeND protocol to support Neighbour Discovery
Proxies:  SeND protocol as currently defined in RFC 3971 lacks of
support for ND Proxies defined in RFC 4389. Extensions to the SeND
protocol will be defined in order to provide equivalent SeND
security capabilities to ND Proxies.

- Extensions to the IKEv2 protocol to create IPSec SAs associated to
the CGA key. Because of their cryptographic nature, CGAs are
inherently bound to the key pair that was used for their generation.
This is used in existent protocols for proving address ownership.
However, it would be possible also to use this cryptographic material
to create a security association between peers. The key benefit of
such approach is that it allows the creation of a security association
that is cryptographically bound to the IP address of the end points
without dependence on a common trust anchor point, eg. PKI. Such
approach would provide additional protection compared to the
opportunistic approaches. The proposed work will produce an analysis
of this type of solution and the required extensions to CGAs and to
the IKEv2 protocol in order to be able to create IPSec SA using the
CGAs keys.

- DHCP support for CGAs. An analysis of possible approaches to allow
the usage of the DHCP protocol to assign CGAs will be produced. The
output of the analysis will be an informational document describing
the recommended approaches that will be provided as an input to the
DHC working group where the actual DHCP extensions needed for the
recommended approaches will be defined.

- Define a CGA extension to support other public key algorithms: As
currently defined, CGAs can only use RSA keys in the CGA Parameter
Data Structure. An extension to update the CGA specification in
order to multiple public key cryptographic algorithm support will be
defined.

Related drafts:

draft-kempf-mobopts-ringsig-ndproxy-01.txt
draft-laganier-ike-ipv6-cga-01.txt

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf