Subject: draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-01.txt

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:56:50 +0100

Hi,

In Chicago I presented the previous version of this draft in the int- 
area session and I got some good comments in the meeting. However,  
after updating the draft there has been very little in the way of  
discussion. So I thought I'd ask this somewhat larger group:

Do you think this is useful work?

If so, how should it be published? Standards track, experimental,  
informational?

I'll be happy to discuss details in Vancouver.

Thanks,

Iljitsch van Beijnum

Begin forwarded message:

> 	Title		: IPv6 Extensions for Multi-MTU Subnets
> 	Author(s)	: I. van Beijnum
> 	Filename	: draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-01.txt
> 	Pages		: 16
> 	Date		: 2007-8-29

>  In the early days of the internet, many different link types with  
> many
>  different maximum packet sizes were in use. For point-to-point or
>  point-to-multipoint links, there are still some other link types  
> (PPP,
>  ATM, Packet over SONET), but shared subnets are almost exclusively
>  implemented as ethernets. Even though the relevant standards madate a
>  1500 octet maximum packet size for ethernet, more and more ethernet
>  equipment is capable of handling packets bigger than 1500 octets.
>  However, since this capability isn't standardized, it's seldom used
>  today, despite the potential performance benefits of using larger
>  packets. This document specifies a mechanism to negotiate per- 
> neighbor
>  maximum packet sizes so that nodes on a shared subnet may use the
>  maximum mutually supported packet size between them without being
>  limited by nodes with smaller maximum sizes on the same subnet.

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-01.txt

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf