Subject: RE: Gen-ART review of draft-evain-ebu-urn-01.txt

From: "Evain, Jean-Pierre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:28:47 +0100

Hello David,

Nice to see the document is on good hands. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll have a detailed review of the comments and come back with revisions
a.s.a.p.  I am very busy right now but I guess there is some time as this
draft RFC is subject to a 4 week review period and, as you say, other
comments may arise.

Best regards,

Jean-Pierre

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: vendredi, 16. novembre 2007 05:39
To: Evain, Jean-Pierre; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Gen-ART review of draft-evain-ebu-urn-01.txt

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer for
this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive.

Document: draft-evain-ebu-urn-01.txt
Reviewer: David L. Black
Review Date: 15 November 2007
IETF LC End Date: 10 December 2007

Summary:

This draft is on the right track, but has open issues, described in the
review.

Comments:

There is one minor open issue, but it does cause syntactic ambiguity, and
hence needs to be fixed:

   Declaration of structure:

      URNs assigned by EBU will have the following hierarchical
      structure based on the organisational structure of the EBU
      resources:

         urn:tva:{category}:{string}

      where "{category}" and "{string}" are US-ASCII strings that
      conforms to URN Syntax requirements ([RFC2141]).

The issue is that the use of the colon character (":") in {category} needs
to be prohibited in order to protect the colon used as a delimiter between
{category} and {string}.  In addition, it may also be appropriate to
prohibit use of some or all additional  <other> characters defined in
Section 2.2 of RFC 2141 in {category} beyond prohibiting the colon character
- such a prohibition would apply the same syntax  rules rules to {category}
as apply to the Namespace ID ("ebu").

Nits:

(1)

   Declared registrant of the namespace:

      Name:           jean-Pierre Evan

Should "jean" be capitalized?
Is there an "i" missing in "Evan"?

(2)

   Declaration of structure:

      URNs assigned by EBU will have the following hierarchical
      structure based on the organisational structure of the EBU
      resources:

         urn:tva:{category}:{string}

"tva" --> "ebu"

(3)

3.  Examples

   The following examples are not guaranteed to be real. They are
   presented for pedagogical reasons only.

      urn:ebu:metadata:pmeta:2007
      urn:ebu:metadata:cs:EscortCS:2007
      urn:other:anytype:version

The third example ("urn:other:anytype:version") should be removed.

(4)

idnits 2.05.01 found a possible boilerplate problem:

  Checking boilerplate required by RFC 3978 and 3979, updated by RFC
4748:
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

  ** The document seems to lack an RFC 3978 Section 5.5 (updated by RFC
4748)
     Disclaimer -- however, there's a paragraph with a matching beginning.
     Boilerplate error?

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------
**************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it 
are confidential and intended solely for the 
use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. 
If you have received this email in error, 
please notify the system manager.
This footnote also confirms that this email 
message has been swept by the mailgateway
**************************************************

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf