Subject: Re: FW: I-D Action:draft-narten-ipv6-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:51:51 -0500 (EST)

> From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

    > I believe what the world needs with regards to IPv6 is that we allow
    > .. people to deploy, etc
    > ...
    > For better or worse, the train has left the station.

The irony of the use of that phrase about IPv6 is pretty, well, ironic.
The IPv6 train has shown no signs of leaving the station.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:24:08 -0600

Last mile is not yet IPv6 enabled, but automatic transition mechanisms such
as 6to4 and Teredo are playing very well, and there is a huge amount of
non-native IPv6 traffic.

So I can't agree with your statement.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:51:51 -0500 (EST)
> Para: <[email-masked]>
> CC: <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Re: FW: I-D Action:draft-narten-ipv6-statement-00.txt
> 

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:44:10 -0500

>>>>> "JORDI" == JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]> writes:

    JORDI> Last mile is not yet IPv6 enabled, but automatic transition
    JORDI> mechanisms such as 6to4 and Teredo are playing very well,
    JORDI> and there is a huge amount of non-native IPv6 traffic.

    JORDI> So I can't agree with your statement.

I'd like to second that.  I've found 6 to 4 and teredo incredibly
useful in internal and virtualization applications today.

IPV6 is at a point where it has critical applications within
infrastructures.  People look at factors like whether major websites
publish AAAA records as a success metric for IPV6.

That doesn't make sense today.  We're telling people they need dual
stack.  So, if I have an IPV4 address, why would it benefit me to
publish AAAA records?

The question for judging IPV6 right now is does IPV6 enable new
applications and reduce costs.  The answer seems to be that in a
number of important cases that IPV6 does actually reduce costs or
enable new applications.  That's enough to drive the network effects
that will drive adoption.

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:45:38 -0600

Very well said.

This is what is already happening: Some applications, I will even say
companies, are relaying in IPv6 to develop new applications or new versions,
because they know that 6to4 and Teredo are there and every day working much
better for all.

I agree that is nice to have AAAA records for all the contents of Internet,
but while there is "nothing new" that an AAAA record offers, and while we
can still use dual-stack (even with private addresses behind NAT), I don't
see a major advantage on having them.

I'm not discouraging folks to have AAAA in all the content servers, on the
other way around, I usually push them to do so. However, I also suggest them
to deploy Teredo and 6to4 relays in their infrastructures, to ensure their
best possible rechability, at least until more and more ISPs do so (which
I'm also pushing for and helping as much as I can).

Content providers need to start taking advantage of IPv6, not just by using
AAAA (which in fact is not an advantage), but to be able to provide new
services that may work better with real peer-to-peer and definitively are
much easier to develop. And yes, that means CHEAPER.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:44:10 -0500
> Para: <[email-masked]>
> CC: <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Re: I-D Action:draft-narten-ipv6-statement-00.txt
> 

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org