Subject: Re: FW: I-D Action:draft-narten-ipv6-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:14:57 -0500 (EST)

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

    > Especially since there are still some going around saying "IPv6 is not
    > needed." "IPv6 is still not done, so don't deploy yet", etc.

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but for my part I'm not saying "IPv4
is fine", nor am I saying the example statements you give above; rather, I'm
saying "there is a problem, but IPv6 isn't the solution".

    > Does the IETF think that deploying IPv6 is necessary and in the best
    > interest of the Internet?

But that's been the subject of more wasted electrons here than I care to
think about, and the answer is there are a *lot* of poeple who who don't
think that "IPv6 is necessary".

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:21:20 +0100

On 12 nov 2007, at 19:14, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> I'm saying "there is a problem, but IPv6 isn't the solution".

Assuming that we mostly agree on the problem, what is the solution  
then, if not IPv6?

IPv6 is not perfect, but between availability and scalability to  
levels required for the continued use of the internet for the next few  
decades, I think it holds the best papers.

> think that "IPv6 is necessary".

Necessity is in the eye of the beholder. There are ways to do  
everything that you care enough to do with IPv4. The real question is:  
would you want to?

I remember a time when we had created version 2.0 of some software. As  
is common with software, it was full of bugs. We dutifully fixed a  
great number of them, and version 2.4 (we skipped a few point releases  
to indicate just how many bugs we squatted) was much, much better. But  
the customers wouldn't have it: too many changes, too risky. And then  
they started asking us to backport all the bug fixes to version 2.0.  
Management actually made us do it, too. That was a miserable few  
months; I don't recommend such an exercise to anyone.