Subject: IETF Registration cancellations (was: Re: Dublin Registration Open!

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:16:26 -0400

--On Thursday, 10 April, 2008 20:45 -0400 Ray Pelletier
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> The correct contract conditions for reservations at Citywest
> are located here: http://www.citywesthotel.com/site/ietf.aspx
> 
> Specifically:
> All Reservations are transferable.
> 
> Cancellation: Individuals can cancel the reservation without
> penalty up to 3 days prior to arrival.

Ray,

While we are on the subject of reservation cancellations, I've
noticed the innovation of a cancellation fee for actual meeting
registrations, even if they are cancelled long in advance.  I
can understand such a fee if cancellations well before the
registration cut-off cause the Secretariat administrative time
or other aggravation (such as processing credit card refunds for
payments).  But those costs are presumably fixed and fairly low
-- pegging them to a non-trivial percentage of an ever-rising
registration fee seems excessive unless the Secretariat and/or
IAOC see cancellations as a "revenue opportunity".

Could you comment?

     thanks,
       john

_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf