Subject: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-funcs-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:02:02 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) 
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see 
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html). 

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd 
or AD before posting a new version of the draft. 

Document: draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-funcs-05.txt
Reviewer: David L. Black
Review Date: 4 April 2008
IESG Telechat date: 10 April 2008 

Summary:
This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits that
should be fixed before publication.

Comments:
The authors have addressed all of the comments from the Gen-ART
review of the -04 version of this draft - that was nicely done,
and many thanks to the authors.

The draft could be published as an RFC in its current form, but
there's one nit that really should be dealt with:

One of the comments was addressed by adding the last sentence
to this paragraph in Section 3.4.2:

   There is also a problem related to the method how SBCs choose the
   value for the validity of a registration period.  This value should
   be as high as possible, but it still needs to be low enough to
   maintain the NAT binding.  Typically SBCs do not have any
   deterministic method for choosing a suitable value.  However, SBCs
   can just use a sub-optimal, relatively small value which usually
   works.

Please provide an example of "a sub-optimal, relatively small value
which usually works".  This merits careful consideration, as
implementers may well use the value provided as an example.  One
possibility is to use 15 seconds as the example and cite Section 3.5
of draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-guidelines-06.txt (as an informative
reference) for the source of this value (and a useful place to
look for further discussion of this topic).

Minor nit: Section 3.1.3:

   (i.e., information related to network elements is beeing hidden),
Extra "e" here ------------------------------------> ^^^^^^

idnits 2.08.05 ran clean.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf