Subject: ops.ietf.org Blacklisting Complications

From: Sabahattin Gucukoglu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:41:10 +0100

ops.ietf.org is hosted at psg.com, which uses blacklists from the MAPS.

I take no position on either MAPS or the external hosting, but I  
object to the use of RBLs for filtering IETF traffic.  This seems to  
go against the IESG spam policy statement, which makes it quite clear  
that participants should not be disrupted (although not necessarily to  
the extent that it forbids RBL use).
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/spam-control-policy.html

My mail to ops.ietf.org itself isn't filtered, but my mail to psg.com  
is.  I am using a Google smarthost with Google Apps.  I do not  
consider myself a spammer and don't reflect my neighbours reputations,  
good or bad, upon myself, in order the better to assist the agenda of  
RBL operators.  I don't know what Google's reputation is, but I am  
using their service because I find it reliable.  There is simply no  
reason to block the legitimate traffic.  But psg.com processes mailing  
list requests for ops.ietf.org, and every time I want to send mail to  
ops.ietf.org I have to carefully rewrite it.

If nothing else, I want people to be aware of the situation.  I would,  
of course, like ops.ietf.org to fall under proper IETF administration  
guidelines.

Cheers,
Sabahattin