Subject: Call for Nomination: Independent Submissions Editor

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 13:18:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Colleagues,

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) seeks nominations for the
volunteer position of an Independent Submissions Editor (ISE). The
appointee's term will begin on January 1, 2010.  The IAB desires a
lengthy relationship with a successful candidate and would like to
structure a 5-year term with a minimal commitment of 2 years, a
performance review at that point and renewal for additional years for
successful performance in an RFC Editor model.  The position is open
to all with the requisite knowledge, skills and experience.  The
position is not limited to current participants in the Internet
Engineering Task Force.  The incumbent is Bob Braden, is not seeking
another appointment.

The ISE is responsible for:

   1.  Maintaining technical quality of the Independent Submission
       stream.

   2.  Reviewing, approving, and processing Independent Submissions.

   3.  Forwarding draft RFCs in the Independent Submission Stream to
       the RFC Production Center.

   4.  Reviewing and approving Independent Submissions RFC errata.

   5.  Coordinating work and conforming to general RFC Series policies
       as specified by the IAB and RSE.

   6.  Providing statistics and documentation as specified by the IAOC
       and/or IAB.

http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfced-procurement.html contains a job description
for this and the
other functions which, together, compose the RFC Editor as described in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

In general, applicants may propose changes to the ISE job description.

The Independent Submission Editor is a senior position for which the
following qualifications are desired:

   1.  Technical competence, i.e., broad technical experience and
       perspective across the whole range of Internet technologies and
       applications, and specifically, the ability to work effectively
       with portions of that spectrum in which no personal expertise
       exists.

   2.  Thorough familiarity with the RFC series.

   3.  An ability to define and constitute advisory and document review
       arrangements.  If those arrangements include an Editorial Board.

   4.  Good standing in the technical community, in and beyond the IETF.

   5.  Demonstrated editorial skills, good command of the English
       language, and demonstrated history of being able to work
       effectively with technical documents and materials created by
       others.

   6.  The ability to work effectively in a multi-actor environment with
       divided authority and responsibility similar to that described in
       this document.

Nominations are to be submitted to: [email-masked] in txt format no
later than 8 July 2009 in the form of the package described below.

Individuals may nominate themselves.  The names of all people who
declare themselves willing to serve will be made public on the
ietf-announce at ietf.org and rfc-interest at ietf.org lists after the
end of the solicitation period.  The plan is to post the list of
willing candidates for community input on 13 July 2009.

A nomination package shall consist of:
1. Details about the candidate's background and qualifications for the
position 
2. Explanation of one's view of the role
3. Recommendations to change the position description, if any
4. Thoughts about staffing support requirements, if any
5. Name and contact information for each candidate.

The list of nominated persons will be made public prior to making a
decision, allowing time for the community to pass any relevant
comments.

Interviews will be conducted in person at the IETF 75 meeting in
Stockholm and/or by teleconference before and after the meeting.
Interviews will be conducted by members of an Advisory Committee
appointed by the IAB.  Presence in Stockholm will be at the
individual's own expense.  Attendance in Stockholm is optional and
will not be used in the selection criteria.

The Advisory Committee may conduct testing of the candidate performing
the role of the ISE.

The Advisory Committee will submit ISE nominees with its
recommendations to the IAB for its selection and appointment of an
Independent Submissions Editor.

Timeline:

    8 Jun - IAB calls for nominations for ISE position
    8 Jul - Nominations close
    13 Jul - Nominees announced; community input solicited
    23 Jul - Community input ends
    26 Jul - 14 Aug IAB appointed Advisory Committee conducts interviews
    18 Aug - Advisory Committee recommends individuals to IAB for
             ISE position
    15 Sep - IAB appoints ISE 
    15 Oct - Agreement executed for expenses
    15 Oct - Transition begins
    1 Jan - Appointments take effect

Compensation

The Independent Submissions Editor is a voluntary position, as are all
stream manager positions, IETF, IAB, and IRTF.  A budget will be
established and expenses provided in negotiations with the IETF
Administrative Oversight Committee, as represented by the IETF
Administrative Director.  Expenses will be provided during the period
of transition, as needed.

On Behalf of the IAB,

 Olaf Kolkman
 IAB Chair