Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dns-discovery (Locating IEEE 802.21 Mobility Servers using DNS) to Proposed Standard

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 12:49:32 -0700

At 06:39 05-06-2009, The IESG wrote:
>The IESG has received a request from the Mobility for IP: Performance,
>Signaling and Handoff Optimization WG (mipshop) to consider the following
>document:
>
>- 'Locating IEEE 802.21 Mobility Servers using DNS '
>    <draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dns-discovery-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the

In Section 2.2:

   "If no NAPTR records are found, the client constructs SRV queries for
    those transport protocols it supports, and does a query for each.
    Queries are done using the service identifier "_MIHIS" for the MIH
    Information Service, "_MIHES" for the MIH Event Service and "_MIHCS"
    for the MIH Command Service. A particular transport is supported if
    the query is successful.  The client MAY use any transport protocol
    it desires which is supported by the server."

The document discourages the use of the regexp field.  I cannot tell 
why the author went to such lengths to define a DDDS application when 
it would have been easier to use SRV queries for the transport protocols.

In Section 2.3:

   "If TARGET is a numeric IP address, the MN uses that IP address and
    the already chosen transport to contact the server providing the
    desired service."

According to RFC 2782, the target in SVR RR is a the domain name of 
the target host.

In Section 7, the Author's email address is listed as 
gabor(dot)bajko(at)nokia(dot)com.  Could the author please publish a 
valid email address instead of obfuscating the email address like 
that?  It makes it easier for readers who have questions or comments 
to contact the author.

Regards,
-sm