Subject: Nomcom 2009-10: Second Call for Volunteers

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:03:32 -0500

Hi all, 

As noted last week, the IETF nominating committee process for 2009-10 is
underway. The list of people and posts whose terms end with the March
2010 IETF meeting, and thus the positions for which the nominating
committee is responsible, are summarized in the initial announcement:  
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ann/nomcom/1936/

The IETF nominating committee appoints folks to fill the open slots on
the IAOC, the IAB, and the IESG. The 10 nominating committee members are
selected randomly from a pool of volunteers.  The details of the
operation of the nomcom can be found in RFC 3777.  

We've had a very good response to the initial call for volunteers, with
the following individuals currently in the pool:

Marc Blanchet, Viagnie
John Drake, Boeing Satellite Systems
Stephen Hanna, Juniper Networks
Lixia Zhang, UCLA
Sean Turner, IECA, Inc.
Wassim Haddad, Ericsson
David H. Crocker, Brandenburg InternetWorking 
David Meyer, Cisco/University of Oregon 
Kurt Zeilenga, Isode Limited 
Spencer Dawkins, Huawei Technologies (USA) 
Yi Zhao, Huawei USA 
Glen Zorn, Network Zen 
Christian Schmidt, Nokia Siemens Networks 
Jouni Korhonen, Nokia Siemens Networks 
Enrico Marocco, Telecom Italia 
Ingemar Johansson, Ericsson AB 
Christer Holmberg, LM Ericsson 
Theo Zourzouvillys, VoIP.co.uk 
Scott Brim, Cisco 
Bernie Hoeneisen, Swisscom 
Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin/NewBay Software 
Simon Perreault, Viagnie 
Teemu Savolainen, Nokia 
Suresh Krishnan, Ericsson 
David Sinicrope, Ericsson 
Stephen Kent, BBN Technologies 
Richard Barnes, BBN Technologies 
Pete Resnick, Qualcomm Incorporated 
Feng Hu, Huawei 
Salvatore Loreto, Ericsson 
Jan Melen, Ericsson 
Mehmet Ersue, Nokia Siemens Networks 
Yakov Rekhter, Juniper Networks 
Conny Jorgen Larsson, Ericsson AB 
Joe Abley, ICANN 
Shane Kerr, ISC

If you have volunteered and are not on the above list or have not heard
from me otherwise, please contact me ASAP.

However, we still need more volunteers - the more volunteers, the better
chance we have of choosing a random yet representative cross section of
the IETF population.  And, while you have until July 3rd to volunteer,
volunteering early really improves the efficiency of the administrative
process and ensures that we can quickly make the selection after the
deadline. 

As a reminder, volunteers must have attended 3 of the past 5 IETF
meetings - per RFC 3777, which means 3 of the following meetings:
IETF-70, IETF-71, IETF-72, IETF-73 and IETF-74.  If you qualify, and are
willing to forgo appointment to any of the positions for which the
nominating committee is responsible, please volunteer. 

The primary activity for this nomcom will begin just prior to IETF-75 in
Stockholm and should be completed in early January 2010.  The nomcom
will be collecting requirements from the community, as well as talking
to candidates and to community members about candidates. There will be
weekly conference calls to ensure progress. Thus, being a nomcom member
does require some time commitment.  While, there is no requirement in
RFC 3777 that a participant attend IETF meetings while serving on
nomcom, folks should consider that during the IETF meetings, folks that
do not attend would be expected to remotely participate during the day
in the timezones of the meeting locations - Stockholm the end of July
and Hiroshima in November. 

If you are not yet sure you would like to volunteer, please consider
that nomcom members play a very important role in shaping the leadership
of the IETF.  Ensuring the leadership of the IETF is fair and balanced
and comprised of those who can lead the IETF in the right direction is
an important responsibility that rests on the IETF participants at
large.
Volunteering for the nomcom is a good way of contributing in that
direction.

Please volunteer by sending an email before 5:00 pm CDT July 3, 2009 as
follows:

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Nomcom 2009-10 Volunteer

Please include the following information in the body:

<Your Full Name>  // As you enter in the IETF Registration Form,
                  // First/Given name followed by Last/Family Name 
                  // Please include all variations of names you might
have used

<Current Primary Affiliation>
                  // as entered in the in the IETF Registration Form 

<Preferred email address>  

<all email addresses used to Register for the past 5 IETF meetings> 

<Telephone number>         // May be used for confirmation if selected

Please expect an email response from me within 1-2 days.  If you don't
receive a response, please re-send your email with the tag "Duplicate:"
added to the subject line.

I will be publishing a more detailed target timetable, as well as
details of the randomness seeds to be used for the RFC 3797 selection
process within the next couple weeks.

Thank you,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
[email-masked]