Subject: OPSDIR review of draft-dusseault-impl-reports-02

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:48:37 -0400

Hi,

I have reviewed draft-dusseault-impl-reports-02 from operations
directorate point of view.

Operations directorate reviews are solicited primarily to help the
area
directors improve their efficiency, particularly when preparing for
IESG
telechats, and allowing them to focus on documents requiring their
attention
and spend less time on the trouble-free ones. Improving the documents
is
important, but clearly a secondary purpose.  A third purpose is to
broaden
the OpsDir reviewers' exposure to work going on in other parts of the
IETF.

Reviews from OpsDir members do not in and of themselves cause the IESG
to
raise issue with a document.  The reviews may, however, convince
individual
IESG members to raise concern over a particular document requiring
further
discussion.  The reviews, particularly those conducted in last call
and
earlier, may also help the document editors improve their documents.

draft-dusseault-impl-reports-02 describes updates to existing
processes for
implementation and interoperability reports, and provides
recommendations about the level of detail required.

The document is about IETF standards process, is well written, and
introduces no new operational or management concerns.

>From an opsdir perspective, I would like to see more recommended
discussion of whether the reported implementations are able to be
monitored and configured in a consistent manner, since that is also
part of interoperability, and can be a significant factor in
operational expense and ease of deployment, but is often omitted from
the protocol specification itself. 

David Harrington
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]