Subject: Revising I-Ds became painful

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:18:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
  It seems like I-D submission for a revised draft (after expiration) encounters 
so many new hurdles:

1. Version number. Submission page complains about the version number even 
though it is correct. This seems to be because the system keeps the expiration 
message in html format as the new version to be submitted. 

Is there a way to get around this?

2. RFC XML has changed. It seem like 
xml.resource.org has a new xml compiler. I had a lot of trouble in compiling my 
existing xml files. I am OK with improving RFC XML but why not keep upward 
compatibility?

Regards,

Behcet

---

From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:18:26 +0700

> Is there a way to get around this?

Don't let I-Ds expire?

> existing xml files. 

Hmm.  I'm not experiencing any problems, either with the on-line or the
host based tools.  Are you sure that your XML was valid before?

> I am OK with improving RFC XML but why not keep upward 
> compatibility?
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Behcet
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
> 
>

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:40:42 -0400

On 4/20/2011 1:18 PM, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> ...

An optional strict checker was added to the online xml2rfc web page, 
turned on by default.

You then have two choices:

1) Fix your XML.  If your XML file fails the strict checker, then it was 
not valid according to the xml2rfc DTD grammar. The error message will 
tell you what you did wrong, using a regular expression to describe what 
is expected (which may be rather cryptic). For example, here are a few 
of the messages you might see:

[Error] INPUT:86:9: The content of element type "list" is incomplete, it 
must match "(t)+".

Your <list> did not include any <t> tags.

[Error] INPUT:175:11: The content of element type "t" must match 
"(list|figure|xref|eref|iref|cref|spanx|vspace)".

Inside a <t> tag, you may only have one of the tags listed -- any other 
tag will be an error.

[Error] INPUT:193:11: The content of element type "section" must match 
"((t|figure|texttable|iref)*,section*)".

Inside a <section> tag, you can have zero or more <t>, <figure>, 
<texttable> or <iref> tags, followed by zero or more <section> tags.

The numbers indicate the line and column number where the error was 
noticed, but that number is figured out after include and reference 
processing has been performed. So it may not match exactly the line 
numbering in your file, but should be close.

2) Turn off the strict checking. In the web form, on the line that says 
Checking, instead of picking Strict choose Fast.

Note that there is currently an effort to rewrite the xml2rfc processor 
that does the actual processing behind the scenes. One of the 
requirements for this effort was that it pay strict attention to the 
DTD, exactly like the Strict Checking does.

Hope this helps.

     Tony Hansen
     [email-masked]

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 08:56:12 +1200

>> Is there a way to get around this?

I don't understand Behcet's problem statement. But if it's a bug,
please send a very detailed explanation to [email-masked], not to
the thousands of people on this list.

   Brian