Subject: Re: Last Call: rfc5953 (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)) to Draft Standard

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:41:15 -0700

At 14:14 19-04-2011, The IESG wrote:
>The IESG has received a request from the isms WG (isms) to consider the
>following document:
>
>- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network
>    Management Protocol (SNMP) '
>   RFC 5953 as a Draft Standard
>
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
>[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-05-03. Exceptionally,
>comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
>retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
>This specification contains eight normative references to standards
>track documents of lower maturity: RFCs 1033, 3490, 3584, 4347, 4366,
>5246, 5280, and 5952.

In Section 7:

   "A hostname is always in US-ASCII (as per [RFC1033]);
    internationalized hostnames are encoded in US-ASCII as domain
    names after transformation via the ToASCII operation specified
    in [RFC3490]."

As a quick comment, RFC 1033 is a down-ref.  A better reference is 
RFC 1123.  As it is part of STD 3, a down-ref is no longer 
needed.  The reference to RFC 3490 could be updated to RFC 
5890.  That also avoids a down-ref in a Draft Standard to a document 
that has an Obsolete status.

Regards,
-sm