Subject: Re: [IAOC] I-D Action: draft-barnes-healthy-food-04.txt

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 08:31:58 -0500

I have a separate mailing list setup for the "food" discussion in general:
[email-masked]

Mary.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Marshall Eubanks <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:34 PM, David Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>>
>> > Dear Mary;
>> >
>> > Which is the appropriate community mailing list for discussion of this
>> > draft ? [email-masked] ?
>>
>> A more limited traffic alternative might be useful ... my wife is a
>> Registered Dietician and might be willing to provide feedback and
>> suggestions, but not if she has to wade through the wide variety of
>> discussion on the ietf@ietf list. I suspect there may be other experts
>> who'd feel the same.
>>
>>
> Ray, Russ - could we set up a mailing list for _general_ meeting related
> discussions ? (Or,
> maybe, such already exists.)
>
> I think that just diet may be too narrow a focus...
>
> Regards
> Marshall
>
>
>
>> Dave Morris
>>
>>
>>
>

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:38:31 -0400

Any reason not to use [email-masked]?  I do not regularly participate in the ietf-food list, but I am interested in the results.  For example, I am not a vegetarian, but I like vegetarian food.  Likewise, I am on a budget, so knowing where to buy good food outside the venue interests me.

The idea being that while there is a core group for whom food is critically important, e.g., getting very ill from the wrong food, there is a larger audience that would be interested in the discussion, too.

On Nov 1, 2011, at 9:31 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Ray, Russ - could we set up a mailing list for _general_ meeting related discussions ? (Or,
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:40:48 -0500

I think the document in general should be discussed on a separate mailing
list as it's not meeting specific. And, previous attempts at discussing
this topic on more general mailing lists have not been particularly
positive.

I would agree that sharing information on general information related to
finding food at the meetings on the attendees mailing list might be a good
idea.  However, some of the details may be of no interest to the majority.
 For example, there is small (but growing) subset of the IETF population
that needs to eat Gluten-Free. This tends to get into very detailed
discussions (per my document) and these might seem totally trivial and
unnecessary for folks that don't deal with this and while it might seem
obvious to some folks what we can and cannot eat, it's not nearly as simple
as it might appear.  For example, asian food is always risky due to the use
of soy sauce (which contains wheat). And, cross-contamination is a big
issue, so the waitstaff is equally as important in ensuring we get safe
food as having a cook that understands the concept.   So, personally I
would prefer to have those sorts of discussions on the ietf-food list as
I'm sure most attendees have no interest whatsoever in a topic like this.

Mary.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Eric Burger <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Any reason not to use [email-masked]?  I do not regularly
> participate in the ietf-food list, but I am interested in the results.  For
> example, I am not a vegetarian, but I like vegetarian food.  Likewise, I am
> on a budget, so knowing where to buy good food outside the venue interests
> me.
>
> The idea being that while there is a core group for whom food is
> critically important, e.g., getting very ill from the wrong food, there is
> a larger audience that would be interested in the discussion, too.
>

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 08:30:17 -0700

An IETF food list sounds right to me.

Bob

On Nov 1, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:

> I think the document in general should be discussed on a separate mailing list as it's not meeting specific. And, previous attempts at discussing this topic on more general mailing lists have not been particularly positive.  
> 
> I would agree that sharing information on general information related to finding food at the meetings on the attendees mailing list might be a good idea.  However, some of the details may be of no interest to the majority.  For example, there is small (but growing) subset of the IETF population that needs to eat Gluten-Free. This tends to get into very detailed discussions (per my document) and these might seem totally trivial and unnecessary for folks that don't deal with this and while it might seem obvious to some folks what we can and cannot eat, it's not nearly as simple as it might appear.  For example, asian food is always risky due to the use of soy sauce (which contains wheat). And, cross-contamination is a big issue, so the waitstaff is equally as important in ensuring we get safe food as having a cook that understands the concept.   So, personally I would prefer to have those sorts of discussions on the ietf-food list as I'm sure most attendees have no interest whatsoever in a topic like this.  
> 
> Mary. 
> 
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Eric Burger <[email-masked]> wrote:

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:11:50 -0400

I'm sold.