Subject: Re: IETF 82 Audio Streaming

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 08:56:43 +0100

> For general remote participation including meetecho support see:

meetecho seems to require me to let a java applet have its way with my
machine.  fat frelling chance.  does the ietf really want to recommend
such a practice?

randy

---

From: Martin Rex <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 00:08:29 +0100 (MET)

> machine.  fat frelling chance.  does the ietf really want to recommend

Folks who upload slides to the datatracker for the IETF Meeting
in PowerPoint format are worse than the metecho Java applet.  A Java applet
will work with most Linux LiveCDs within a throw-away virtual machine.

PowerPoint slides regularly require a real Microsoft Windows with a
PowerPoint viewer, and while the PowerPoint viewer might be free,
the underlying Microsoft Windows is not free.
I would really prefer when folks would be using one of those free PDF
printer drivers (e.g. doPDF) to convert their slides to PDF, so that
the consumer of this has more options available (preconfigured ones
and license-free ones).

-Martin

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 00:16:10 +0100

Hi Martin,

I was just typing the same - you have beaten me. Amazing thread btw.

If your security paranoia exceeds the threshold just use local VM on 
your machine and get over the applet horror. The hibernated VM as a 
matter of fact may start faster then an applet ;)

Lorenzo - great work !

Cheers,
R.

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>
>

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Nov 2011 02:22:36 -0000

>PowerPoint viewer

I find that Libreoffice on FreeBSD shows all the powerpoint slides I
need to show just dandy.  PDF is nice but not a lot easier.

R's,
John

PS: I presume we've all read the notes that meetecho also speaks SIP?