Subject: IAOC Member Selection

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 01:04:34 -0500

Ole Jacobsen is the IAOC member that was appointed by the IESG, and
his two-year term is up in March.  The IESG is starting the process
to fill this seat in March 2012, with the term ending in March 2014.
The two-week nominations period opens today, and closes on
27 November 2011.

Nominations and eligibility

The IESG is making a public call for nominations.  Self-nominations
are permitted.  All IETF participants, including working group chairs,
IETF NomCom members, IAB members, and IESG members are
eligible for nomination.  Of course, IAB and IESG members who accept
nomination will recuse themselves from selection and confirmation
discussions.  Please send nominations to [email-masked].  Please include
the following with each nomination:

- Name

- Contact information

- Candidate background and qualifications

Desirable Qualifications and Selection Criteria

Candidates for the IAOC position should have a demonstrable involvement
 in the IETF, knowledge of contracts and financial procedures, awareness
of the administrative support needs of the IAB, the IESG, and the IETF
standards process.  The candidate is also expected to understand the
respective roles and responsibilities of the IETF and ISOC in IASA, and
be able to articulate these roles within the IETF community.

The candidate must be able to exercise all the duties of an IAOC Board
member, including fiduciary responsibilities, setting of policies,
oversight of the administrative operations of the IETF, representing
the interests of the IETF, and participating in IAOC meetings and
activities. The candidate must be able to serve as a Trustee for the IETF
Trust. Although the IESG selects this member of the IAOC, the selected
member does not directly represent the IESG.  The IESG-selected
member is accountable directly to the IETF community.

BCP 101 says:

The IAOC shall consist of eight voting members who shall be selected
as follows:

o Two members appointed by the IETF Nominations Committee (NomCom);

o One member appointed by the IESG;

o One member appointed by the IAB;

o One member appointed by the ISOC Board of Trustees;

o The IETF Chair (ex officio);

o The IAB Chair (ex officio);

o The ISOC President/CEO (ex officio).

Selection

The IESG will publish the list of nominated persons prior to making a
decision, allowing time for the community to provide any relevant
comments to the IESG. The IESG will review the nomination material,
any comments provided by the community, and make a selection.

Confirmation

The IAB will act as the confirming body for the selection.  In the
event that the IAB determines not to confirm the nominated candidate,
the IAB will provide the IESG with the basis for this determination and
the IESG will nominate another candidate.

Care of Personal Information

The following procedures will be used in managing candidates' personal
information:

- The list of candidate names will be published at the close of the
  nominations period.  A candidate that refuses the nomination will
  not be included on the list.

- Excerpts of the information provided to the IESG by the nominated
  candidate will be passed to the IAB as part of the confirmation
  process. The IAB will be requested to maintain confidentiality of
  candidate information.

- Except as noted above, all information provided to the IESG during
  this process will be kept as confidential to the IESG.

Timeframe

The two-week nominations period opens today, and closes on
27 November 2011.

The list of willing candidates will be posted shortly after the nominations
close, and the community will have two weeks to provide comments on the
candidates to the IESG.

The IESG will make a selection on an IESG telechat following the
comment period and send the name of the selected candidate to the IAB
for confirmation.

On behalf of the IESG,
  Russ Housley
  IESG Chair