Subject: Re: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 15:02:26 -0400

This is a complex topic and one where it's easy to be naive or even
dismissive if one hasn't experienced stuff themselves or worked with
people who have.

If this conversation was about IETF culture, and how it's hard for
non-Americans to participate "IETF style", I bet folk would much more
quickly recognize some of the real issues.

If folk really want to dive, http://www.ncwit.org/ is a good place to
start.

For the IETF, I think that interested folk might want to form an ad
hoc support/networking group and *especially* see about putting
together some sort of mentoring program. I'm sure if there was a way
for potential mentors to volunteer, there would be a good number of
interested volunteers (myself included). Growing a next generation of
leaders is something the entire IETF should do more of.

Thomas

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 21:18:38 -0400

[RS> ] +1 This is not just something we should do, its something we have to
do. I know the AD's try and keep a strong hand in talent spotting among the
WG chairs on who might succeed them, but one thing I believe WG chairs need
to do is appoint WG Secretaries. I always did. Limit the number of WG's a
single individual can co-chair.  The best way to mentor promising talent of
is to give them a start on the "career ladder"  

I'm sure if there was a way for potential mentors to volunteer, there would
be a good number of interested volunteers (myself included). Growing a next
generation of leaders is something the entire IETF should do more of.

Thomas

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 09:18:59 -0500

Here is a very timely article on this topic:
http://news.mentornet.net/content/why-getting-women-stem-matters

Note, this is from an organization that is focused on getting diversity in
engineering and science, so for those interested in more information on
this topic, there are many, many other articles on that website.

I also agree with Thomas and others that IETF would definitely benefit as a
whole by setting up a mentor program.  There is information on how an
organization can get involved with mentor net to setup a mentoring program
here:
http://www.mentornet.net/societies.aspx

Note, that ISOC already has some programs in place that encourage new
leaders in the industry as well as participation from developing developing
countries:
 - Next Generation Leaders Program:
http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders-ngl-programme
 - the IETF Fellowship Program:
http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes

I personally was not at all aware of the NGL program.  As I understand it,
the Fellowship Program is already setup to assign a mentor to each of the 5
individuals.

So, it may be worth discussing whether this ought to be part of the ISOC
programs (or an enhancement to the NGL program) or something that does fall
directly under the IETF similar to the newcomer events.

Regards,
Mary.

---

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 14:16:40 -0400

> From: Thomas Narten [[email-masked]]
> 

Has there been any organized attempt to reduce the difficulty for
non-Americans to participate "IETF style"?

Dale