Subject: Bar BoF: Media without censorship (Wednesday 20:00, Regency A)

From: Johan Pouwelse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 02:43:46 +0200

Dear All,
At the ongoing 84th IETF meeting we're organizing a bar BoF around
enhancing privacy and reducing censorship. Feel free to drop by. We start
in room regency A and probably will go really informal after 30min, in a
actual bar context: Steamworks Brewing, 375 Water Street, Vancouver,
http://m.google.com/u/m/zr4u7R

Bar BoF name:    Media without censorship (CensorFree)
Location:              IETF 84, Vancouver, Canada
Date:                    1st Aug 2012,  20:00 (Wednesday)
Room:                  Regency A
Promo slides:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/84/slides/slides-84-tsvarea-0.pdf(prestented
at TVSArea meeting)
Discussion doc:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pouwelse-censorfree-scenarios/
Technology status: initial running code
Abstract:
    This document describes some scenarios in which one can imagine that
    the ability of authoritarian regime to censor news dissemination is
    reduced.  It tries to draw some conclusions about what's desirable
    and what's not acceptable for users in those scenarios.
    The CensorFree objective is to standardize the protocols for
    microblogging on smartphones with a focus on security and censorship
    resistance.  Microblog entries are short text messages, possibly
    enriched with pictures or streaming video.  The goal is to devise
    protocols which guard against all known forms of censorship such as:
    cyberspace sabotage, digital eavesdropping, infiltration, fraud,
    Internet kill switches and lawyer-based attacks with the best known
protective methods.

The discussion document lists some scenarios, but is still very much a work
in progress.
Hopefully the knowledge from draft-iab-privacy-considerations-03 and
draft-iab-privacy-terminology-01 can be included in this doc real soon.
   -Johan Pouwelse, Delft University of Technology