Subject: Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-00.txt

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:42:04 -0700

Hi John,
At 05:48 AM 7/31/2012, John C Klensin wrote:
>Much of this is about appearances.   For example, I would hope
>that sitting ADs would have better sense than to volunteer for
>the Nomcom even if the rules technically permitted that.  Nor

Yes.

>would I expect Secretariat staff to volunteer (as far as I know,
>none ever has despite the current rules apparently permitting

Yes.

The IETF usually says that people participate as individuals.  It is 
up to each individual to see whether it is appropriate to volunteer 
for NomCom if there is possible conflict of interest.  RFC 3777 
discusses about stacking up the selection process (see primary 
affiliation) but it does get into other details which can influence 
the selection process.  If the objective is to avoid self-selection, 
one could question the process for the appointment of the NomCom Chair.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:33:07 -0400

>
>  does get into other details which can influence the selection process.
>  If the objective is to avoid self-selection, one could question the
> process for the appointment of the NomCom Chair.
>

The NomCom chair does not have a vote on the NomCom, and is just a process
facilitator.  That's for exactly this reason.

Barry