Subject: RE: IETF Nominations Committee Chair - 2012 - 2013

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 11:18:16 +0200

Hi,

it's time again for Nomcom. Congrats and good luck to Matt Lepinski.

I have to admit I don't know him. I assume this is my issue as I'm an
OPS guy and not much involved in atoca or geopriv.

Having been active in two Nomcoms, I am wondering what a useful
selection criteria for a Nomcom chair could be.

Having experience as a WG chair or having been active as Nomcom voting
member?

I can imagine a retired AD would enjoy it and do an excellent job in
this position.

Cheers, 
Mehmet 

From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Lynn St.Amour
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 10:31 PM
To: IETF Announcement list
Subject: IETF Nominations Committee Chair - 2012 - 2013

To the IETF community,

One of the roles you entrusted to the Internet Society (ISOC) President
& CEO is to appoint the IETF Nominations Committee chair.   This is done
through consultation with the IETF community.

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Matt Lepinski has agreed to
serve as the 2012 - 2013 IETF Nominations Committee chair.

A Call for Nominations for this committee will be sent to the IETF
Announcement list; and a list of the IESG, IAB and IAOC/IETF Trust seats
to be filled will be published shortly.   Please give serious
consideration to volunteering for the Nominations Committee as well as
to possible candidates for the open positions. 

The NomComm process is central to the IETF's success, and it is
important that it have the support of the IETF community.   In the
interim, feel free to make your suggestions known to Matt, who will
share them with the committee once it is seated.   Matt can be reached
at: Matthew Lepinski <[email-masked]>

Thank you in advance for your support and a sincere thank you to Matt
for agreeing to take on this very significant responsibility.

Regards,

Lynn St. Amour

President & CEO
Internet Society (ISOC)

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 12:24:18 -0500

Mehmet,

In my experience, the most important characteristic for a nomcom chair is
the ability to lead a group of 10 volunteers (usually with a significant
variation of experience in IETF) through the process as defined by RFC
 3777 (and 5680).    It can be good for a chair to have past Nomcom
experience, but I do not believe that is a hard requirement (I had never
served on a Nomcom before I was chair).  It can be good for a Nomcom chair
to have been a WG chair as they can understand more about the process. BUT,
the chair is not the decision maker - the voting members are - the most
important thing is for the chair to be able to facilitate the process as
defined.  It's far more important for the voting members to have that
knowledge than the chair.   Now, it can be more challenging if a chair
hasn't been involved in IETF for a while, but AFAIK, Matt has been involved
in the RAI area (as a participant/contributor) for a while and if you
google you can find he's also been involved in the Security area on the
SECDIR. You can see the work he's been involved in here in authorstats:
http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/mattlepinski.html

Honestly, one of the most important aspect of the Nomcom process is for the
Nomcom to get community feedback. You can read my report from 2009-2010 and
that is an issue as the information that the nomcom is working with
typically is extremely incomplete.  Many nomcom voting members have little
experience with interviewing and hiring "employees".  You also have to keep
in mind that the past Nomcom chair serves as an advisor for the current
Nomcom chair, which dramatically reduces the risk in the case that the
appointed chair runs into problems.

I sincerely thank Matt for his willingness to take on this task as it
requires a tremendous time commitment and dedication to do well.

Regards,
Mary.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> it’s time again for Nomcom. Congrats and good luck to Matt Lepinski.****
>
> I have to admit I don’t know him. I assume this is my issue as I’m an OPS
> guy and not much involved in atoca or geopriv.****
>
> ** **
>
> Having been active in two Nomcoms, I am wondering what a useful selection
> criteria for a Nomcom chair could be.****
>
> member?****
> I can imagine a retired AD would enjoy it and do an excellent job in this
> position.****
>
> ** **
>
> Cheers,
> Mehmet ****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:
> [email-masked]] *On Behalf Of *ext Lynn St.Amour
> *Sent:* Tuesday, July 03, 2012 10:31 PM
> *To:* IETF Announcement list
> *Subject:* IETF Nominations Committee Chair - 2012 - 2013****
>
> ** **
>
> To the IETF community,
>
> One of the roles you entrusted to the Internet Society (ISOC) President &
> CEO is to appoint the IETF Nominations Committee chair.   This is done
> Announcement list; and a list of the IESG, IAB and IAOC/IETF Trust seats to
> be filled will be published shortly.   Please give serious consideration to
> volunteering for the Nominations Committee as well as to possible
> candidates for the open positions.
>
> The NomComm process is central to the IETF's success, and it is important
> that it have the support of the IETF community.   In the interim, feel free
> to make your suggestions known to Matt, who will share them with the
> committee once it is seated.   Matt can be reached at: Matthew Lepinski <
> [email-masked]>
>
> Thank you in advance for your support and a sincere thank you to Matt for
> agreeing to take on this very significant responsibility.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lynn St. Amour
>
> President & CEO
> Internet Society (ISOC)****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 08:26:09 +0900

> I sincerely thank Matt for his willingness to take on this task 

<aol>

and you for when you served.

randy

---

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:21:44 +0200

+1. It is indeed a huge effort for the Nomcom chair and all voting
members especially between September and January.

Cheers, 
Mehmet 

From: ext Mary Barnes [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:24 PM
To: Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)
Cc: [email-masked]; ext Lynn St.Amour
Subject: Re: IETF Nominations Committee Chair - 2012 - 2013

Mehmet,

In my experience, the most important characteristic for a nomcom chair
is the ability to lead a group of 10 volunteers (usually with a
significant variation of experience in IETF) through the process as
defined by RFC  3777 (and 5680).    It can be good for a chair to have
past Nomcom experience, but I do not believe that is a hard requirement
(I had never served on a Nomcom before I was chair).  It can be good for
a Nomcom chair to have been a WG chair as they can understand more about
the process. BUT, the chair is not the decision maker - the voting
members are - the most important thing is for the chair to be able to
facilitate the process as defined.  It's far more important for the
voting members to have that knowledge than the chair.   Now, it can be
more challenging if a chair hasn't been involved in IETF for a while,
but AFAIK, Matt has been involved in the RAI area (as a
participant/contributor) for a while and if you google you can find he's
also been involved in the Security area on the SECDIR. You can see the
work he's been involved in here in authorstats:

Honestly, one of the most important aspect of the Nomcom process is for
the Nomcom to get community feedback. You can read my report from
2009-2010 and that is an issue as the information that the nomcom is
working with typically is extremely incomplete.  Many nomcom voting
members have little experience with interviewing and hiring "employees".
You also have to keep in mind that the past Nomcom chair serves as an
advisor for the current Nomcom chair, which dramatically reduces the
risk in the case that the appointed chair runs into problems.

Regards,

Mary. 

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)
<[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

Cheers, 
Mehmet 

To the IETF community,

Regards,

Lynn St. Amour

President & CEO
Internet Society (ISOC)