Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6lowpan-btle-08.txt> (Transmission of IPv6Packets over Bluetooth Low Energy) to Proposed Standard

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:16:13 +0200

Overall this is a good document and I support its approval. A few items
should be clarified before approval, please see below: 

1. In the introduction: 

>  In addition,
   IPv6 provides tools for autoconfiguration, which is particularly
   suitable for sensor network applications and nodes which have very
   limited processing power or a full-fledged operating system.

Did you actually mean to say 'nodes which have very limited processing
power or lack a full-fledged operating system'? 

Also - what do you exactly mean by tools for autoconfiguration - is this
only about stateless IP-address autoconfiguration or (also) something
else? 

2. In Section 2.1 - GAP stands for Generic Access Profile (as in the
text) or Generic Attribute Profile (as in the diagram)? 

3. Section 2.3 we have 

> ' A Bluetooth Smart device such as a sensor may use
   a public (obtained from IEEE Registration Authority) '

and then in 3.2.1 

>  'The 48-bit public bluetooth
   address is globally unique and provided by the IEEE registration
   authority.'

These are slightly inaccurate. The individual addresses are not directly
assigned by the IEEE-RA. This authority only assigns OUIs to vendors
(first 24 bits of an address) which then are responsible on
administrating their own space (the last 24 bit) to generate unique
addresses. Actually another sentence in 2.3 gets it right when it says: 

> ' The public address is created
   according to the IEEE 802-2001 standard [IEEE802-2001] and using a
   valid Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI) obtained from the IEEE
   Registration Authority.  '

4. I do not believe that the requirement to BT SIG for the allocation of
an L2CAP channel ID needs to be mentioned in the IANA Considerations
section as it has nothing to do with IANA.  

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:ietf-announce-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
> Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:50 PM
> To: IETF-Announce
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6lowpan-btle-08.txt> (Transmission of
> IPv6Packets over Bluetooth Low Energy) to Proposed Standard
> 
> 
> The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 over Low power WPAN WG
> (6lowpan) to consider the following document:
> - 'Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Bluetooth Low Energy'
>   <draft-ietf-6lowpan-btle-08.txt> as Proposed Standard
> 
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-07-11. Exceptionally, comments may
> be
> sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
> 
> Abstract
> 
> 
>    Bluetooth Low Energy is a low power air interface technology
defined
>    by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (BT-SIG).  The standard
>    Bluetooth radio has been widely implemented and available in mobile
>    phones, notebook computers, audio headsets and many other devices.
>    The low power version of Bluetooth is a new specification and
enables
>    the use of this air interface with devices such as sensors, smart
>    meters, appliances, etc.  The low power variant of Bluetooth is
>    commonly specified in revision 4.0 of the Bluetooth specifications
>    and commonly refered to as Bluetooth 4.0.  This document describes
>    how IPv6 is transported over Bluetooth Low Energy using 6LoWPAN
>    techniques.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> The file can be obtained via
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lowpan-btle/
> 
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lowpan-btle/ballot/
> 
> 
> No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.
>