Subject: SDN and Routing Protocols

From: Abhishek Verma <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 13:49:31 +0530

Hi,

Is SDN going to make routing protocols less relevant? I understand that
this list is frequented by several routing guys, so this question may
offend them. However, as i understand more and more of this technology,
there seems to be a clear trend towards OSPF/ISIS less environments.
Obviously, BGP is still needed if youre talking across AS boundaries. SDN
also obviates the need to run LDP/RSVP to set up the tunnels.

ANy comments here?

Regards, Abhishek

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:10:21 -0400

No one answered this?

On Apr 12, 2014 4:20 AM, "Abhishek Verma" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Is SDN going to make routing protocols less relevant?

No. SDN is appropriate in some environments but not all.

> as i understand more and more of this technology, there seems to be a
clear trend towards OSPF/ISIS less environments.

Yes but we were already doing this, e.g. with MPLS, before SDN took off.

> Obviously, BGP is still needed if youre talking across AS boundaries.

Yes but inter-domain SDN is also reasonable.

swb