Subject: Logging into the datatracker

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:48:54 -0500

Today's datatracker release changed the way you sign in, and has added 
the ability to sign out.

See <https://datatracker.ietf.org/release/> for details.

RjS

p.s. As usual, if you need to request a password reset, you can do so at
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/accounts/>

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 17:49:17 -0400

> From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

> "This release changes user authentication for the datatracker from
> basic http auth to Django's built-in authentication."

No doubt this is all for the best in practice, but it does eliminate
the one and only web site I've ever used that uses HTTP
authentication.  R.I.P. RFC 2617.

Dale

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 08:52:20 -0500

On 4/14/14 4:49 PM, Dale R. Worley wrote:
>> From: Robert Sparks<[email-masked]>
>>      
>    
>> See<https://datatracker.ietf.org/release/>  for details.
>>      
>    

I was never thrilled about the fact that the old way didn't ask for the 
credentials every time, instead making me click on the Sign In link 
every time the credentials expired. But I've got to say that after a 
week of using it (as us ADs use it more than most), I'm pretty annoyed 
by the new UI. With HTTP auth, Safari happily recognized that it had the 
credentials, so clicking the Sign In link was effectively just a 
re-load. Now I get presented with a web form. Though Safari will fill in 
the credentials in the new web form, I have to do an extra click on a 
Sign In button. So we moved from mildly annoying to slightly more 
annoying. What else is new in the advancement of the web? :-/

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478