Subject: RE: RFC compliance and the European Parliament

From: Jaldora Kyor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 17:02:52 -0400

Erik;

Well, the original message doesn't seem to clearly convey what you wanted
and the follow-up is simply unnecessarily rude.

The original request, as I read it, is for two things:

1. Documents relating to EP mail systems, policies, and server settings
relating to RFC 5321 sec. 3.9;
2. Documents relating to forecasts or plans relating to (1).

The response is "we have not found any documents that meet those criteria".
Now, they may or may not have any of those documents, but berating them for
'forget[ting] to address any of my requests' when as far as I can tell they
exactly answered the question you asked is more than a little unfair.

Reading the follow-up, though, I get the impression that what you asked for
is not really what you wanted to know and there has been a
miscommunication. On re-reading your follow up, it seems clear to me that
the original request was worded ambiguously and doesn't properly convey
what you want to obtain.

 What's wrong with saying, "Sorry, must have been a miscommunication. My
concern is that someone working in the EP with a @europarl mail address
won't receive mailing list messages. Can I have any documents relating to
the EP's mail handling policy and server settings and future changes to
same?"

-Jaldora

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>] On Behalf
Of JOSEFSSON Erik
Sent: June 9, 2014 3:39 PM
To: S Moonesamy; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: RFC compliance and the European Parliament

Dear Mr Moonesamy,
Dear Mr Wallström,

Thank you for placing my call in the right context. I hope this list <
[email-masked]> allows me to reply without subscribing first. If not, please
advice on how to subscribe.

Assuming I was already subscribed, the problem is the following: If anyone
else working in the EP is subscribed to this list with his @europarl mail
address, he will never receive this email. That's it.

The request asks for the documentation of the reasons for this fact, or
more precisely, access to all documents relating to the EP's policies and
server settings for interacting with RFC 5321 compliant mailing lists.

No such documentation has been provided by the EP.

We are preparing a follow-up request here:

http://pad.epfsug.eu/p/epfsug-eod-emailrfccompliance

Grateful for any help and comments on the pad.

Best regards.

//Erik

________________________________________
From: S Moonesamy [[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday 9 June 2014 17:55
To: JOSEFSSON Erik; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: RFC compliance and the European Parliament

Hi Erik,

I am copying this message to [email-masked] instead of the perpass mailing
list as the question is not related to surveillance.

At 04:00 09-06-2014, JOSEFSSON Erik wrote:
>I need help from the standards community with regards to RFC-compliance
>in the European Parliament.
>
>I reach out here because I believe you expect your work on improving
>the internet will be implemented, maybe in particular by public bodies
>we hold to a higher standard wrt transparency than others[0].
>
>In an Access to Documents request the EP just stated that "conformity
>with RFC-5321 section 3.9 is by nature outside EP's responsibilities"
>[1].
>
>Do you agree? Are there RFCs which correct implementation would, by
>nature, fall within the responsibilities of the EP?

I read the reply.  In my opinion the text quoted (above) from the reply
conveys a different meaning.  My understanding of that part of the reply is
that mailing lists managed outside that email system is outside EP's
responsibility.  The question you asked could be stated as follows:

   Is it the responsibility of the EP to set the standards for email systems
   to adhere to?

>Please find a link to our documentation of the particular issue with
>RFC-5321 section 3.9 below[2]

The issue in that document is about whether the mail relays for
europarl.europa.eu can reject a message from a (external) mailing list if
the "From:" header contains "europarl.europa.eu" as the domain part.  There
is be a mail delivery problem if the external email system implements and
follows what is written in RFC 5321.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy