Subject: Gen-ART LC review of draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:46:35 +0300

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive.

Document:  draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-08

Reviewer: Roni Even

Review Date:2014-10-23

IETF LC End Date: 2014-10-30

IESG Telechat date: 

Summary: This draft is ready for publication as a BCP RFC.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Section 2.3 discusses the issue of defining appropriate registration policy.
I was wondering about consistency between the policies of similar
registries, is it important and how to verify it. For example the policy for
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/sdp-security-descriptions/sdp-security-desc
riptions.xhtml#sdp-security-descriptions-3>
http://www.iana.org/assignments/sdp-security-descriptions/sdp-security-descr
iptions.xhtml#sdp-security-descriptions-3 is standard action and for
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/srtp-protection/srtp-protection.xhtml#srtp-
protection-1>
http://www.iana.org/assignments/srtp-protection/srtp-protection.xhtml#srtp-p
rotection-1 is specification required. I think that such cases should be
discussed when defining the registration policy.  

Nits/editorial comments:

In section 2.3 "judgement" should be "judgment"

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:51:51 -0400

Thanks for the review, Roni.

> Section 2.3 discusses the issue of defining appropriate registration
> policy. I was wondering about consistency between the policies of similar
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/sdp-security-descriptions/sdp-security-descriptions.xhtml#sdp-security-descriptions-3
> is standard action and for
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/srtp-protection/srtp-protection.xhtml#srtp-protection-1
> is specification required. I think that such cases should be discussed when
> defining the registration policy.
>
>
The policies do, indeed, need to be thought out when the documents are
developed, and I think 5226bis is clear about that.  But those decisions
have to be made by those developing the documents, and I don't know what
more we can say here about it, beyond what's here.

Do you have any specific suggestions?

Barry

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:07:15 +0300

Hi Barry,

I think that this is a point that should be made for anyone that needs to
specify the registration policy. My feeling is that when the document is
develop the focus is on the specified registry without looking at similar
ones. Maybe the document should suggest that the IESG or document shepherd
will try to verify that consistency was checked.

As a general comment I found the document very educational mostly since I
ran into an issue with registration policies and expert reviews results. 

Roni

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barry
Leiba
Sent: 23 October, 2014 4:52 PM
To: Roni Even
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis

Barry

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:17:35 -0400

> will try to verify that consistency was checked.
I'm very wary of suggesting that people copy registration policies from one
registry to another.  Mindless consistency between related registries in
specifically a non-goal here: the important point is that the policy for
each registry should be selected with though, and should apply to the needs
of *that* registry, even if that makes related registries differ.  I think
the document is clear about that.

We get ourselves in trouble when a batch of registries are all given the
same policy, and that policy turns out to be right for some and wrong for
others.

Barry

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:56:04 +0300

Barry,

I am OK with your reasoning

Roni

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barry
Leiba
Sent: 23 October, 2014 5:18 PM
To: Roni Even
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis

Barry