Subject: Software and Configuration Management Was: Local Cloud Node

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 15:50:28 -0400

I started to draft out my ideas under the impression that the cut off
date is tomorrow when there is a bit more time.

This is a starting point for a draft:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-sxs-confirm-00

My home configuration has already exceeded the complexity of a typical
university department in the 1990s and it is far from comprehensive.
Less than a quarter of the light switches are under IP control. Such
organizations found software management and distribution
infrastructures essential so it is a good bet that the home will.

It will always be necessary to support the approach where the user
relies on a cloud service provided by the vendor. But it should also
be possible to bind a device to a local or personal 'hub' so that it
receives all its directions from that source. Including when to accept
updates, which updates to accept, etc. etc.

While the vulnerability concern is limited to 'software' (anything
from HTML to firmware), the line between software and configuration is
blurred. Especially when many vulnerabilities are configuration
settings. So configuration is also part of the issue here.

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 15:55:53 -0400

Would make more sense with the right link... sorry...

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-hallambaker-securecode-00.txt