Subject: Re: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-whats-an-author-00.txt

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 15:23:18 -0700

On 4/30/2015 2:18 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
> 
> 
> --On Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:33 -0700 joel jaeggli
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>> (And if Tenure Committees understand, then I think that will
>>> likely solve the problems of other communities.)
>>
>> insofar as I am aware tenure committies have never looked at
>> standardization activities with much favor and I don't think
>> anything here will change that.

It depends on the school. There are several schools (often "institutes
of technology) that place significant importance on impact to the
commercial community as part of receiving tenure.

As to the conventional process, whether the department committee takes
these issues into consideration may matter, but the higher up the chain
you go, the less anyone wants to hear that "this kind of publication is
different".

IMO, tenure committees within departments care about what they - and we
- should care about when it comes to authorship. Giving credit for
significant contribution, not political appeasement.

Joe