Subject: Strange Email Invoice for IETF 93 from VMC SASU

From: "Fedyk, Don" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:47:51 +0000

Hi

Anyone else get an odd invoice email from VMC SASU for the 93rd IETF.
Subject:
93rd IETF July 19-24, 2015, Prague, Czech Republic - Invoice n° 00000088

I put it in junk and did not open the email (already have my official invoice when I paid a few weeks ago.)  It also wanted a read receipt.

Looks like a fishing attack on the IETF registration to me.

Cheers,
Don

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 08:56:21 -0400

Don,

VMC, an affiliate of BC&A, are authorized agents that are providing 
VAT-compliant invoices in order that you or your employer may file for 
a VAT refund, if entitled.

See http://www.ietf.org/meeting/93/vat.html <http://www.ietf.org/meeting/93/vat.html>

Ray
IETF Administrative Director

> On May 29, 2015, at 7:47 AM, Fedyk, Don <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi
>

---

From: "Bert Wijnen (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 14:59:30 +0200

Would be good to announce beforehand that one should expect such email from
an organization that is otherise often unknow to IETF participants

my 2 cents
Bert

On 29/05/15 14:56, Ray Pelletier wrote:
> See http://www.ietf.org/meeting/93/vat.html
>
> Ray
>> On May 29, 2015, at 7:47 AM, Fedyk, Don <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Anyone else get an odd invoice email from VMC SASU for the 93^rd IETF.
>>
>> Subject:
>>

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 09:45:58 -0400

Bert,

Appreciate the feedback.

When someone pays their fee we send a Purchase Confirmation.  That
confirmation states:

This is not a VAT invoice.

A final VAT invoice will be sent with all the required VAT
information within 45 days. Instructions will be included on the
process to follow to recover the VAT paid by qualified attendees or
their employers. The invoice for your participation will be issued
by VMC, 14-30 rue de Mantes, 92700 Colombes / France, French VAT
Number: FR75523098614; Czech VAT Number: CZ682761770.

Perhaps notice to the list would have been helpful.

Ray

> On May 29, 2015, at 8:59 AM, Bert Wijnen (IETF) <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 06:52:47 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

I have pointed out that while these invoice may be "VAT-compliant," 
they aren't yet entirely MIME-compliant, not to mention that they seem 
to have some arbitrary character count limit to your "company" [1] 
name. I offered to be guinea pig and have been receiving various 
versions of my invoice ranging from a PDF file that was included 
rather than attached in the message to something that might qualify as 
a real attachment. I am not sure we're finished testing :-)

Ole

[1] "THE INTERNET PROTOCO"

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office:  +1 415-550-9433
Cell:    +1 415-370-4628
UK Cell: +44 7805 977889
docomo: (090) 3337-9311
Web: protocoljournal.org
E-mail: [email-masked]
E-mail: [email-masked]
Skype: organdemo

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 18:04:37 +0300

So, should I be worried if I *didn’t* get one?

Yoav

> On May 29, 2015, at 3:56 PM, Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Don,
>

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 08:16:17 -0700 (PDT)

> So, should I be worried if I *didn’t* get one?

If you paid you should get one I think.

Ole

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 20:14:35 +0100

All, please be aware that your mileage may vary considerably wrt
http://www.ietf.org/meeting/93/vat.html

Many EU companies (such as those in the UK) will operate EU sales and outgoing
VAT reporting through their own domestic VAT administrations. They will not need
to claim VAT back direct from the Czech tax authorities since EU countries
operate reciprocal VAT arrangements.

You are strongly advised by me to consult your own VAT experts and not rely on
the material at this URL.

In the meantime, it would be really helpful if Ray could post a sample VAT
invoice on this web page so we can see what we are getting in to.

Pip pip,
Adrian