Subject: When is the next USA location meeting?

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 08:40:08 -0400

I can't help but wonder why there are no scheduled IETF meetings in 
the USA?  I don't see anything planned for no less than 3 years (first 
open location slot, March 2018). I guess the IETF is doing just fine 
these days if recruiting new members, building attendance, doesn't 
required USA locations.

BTW, how are locations decided? Is there a Locations WG? <g>

Have a good day.

-- 
HLS

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 15:53:47 +0300

Hector,

We just had two consecutive meetings in United States, and my perception was
that they went very well. On the first one we had some visa trouble but due to
some factors the situation changed on the second one, we heard about little
to no issues in March.

Upcoming meeting locations, as they get decided, are listed in
http://www.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming.html

The next meeting in North America is scheduled to take place in March 2017,
in Montreal (looking forward to that, I love Montreal!)

Overall, the IETF employs a round-robin “1-1-1” model for visits in North America,
Europe, and Asia. Or perhaps “1-1-1-*” where we occasionally pick new places
as well. This is what is going to happen next year, as we will be in Buenos Aires
in April. Sometimes specific choices make us skip a meeting here or there,
but over longer periods the numbers should even out.

The meeting locations are a constant discussion topic on IETF lists
and plenary discussions. Formally, the locations are decided by the
IAOC, but with a lot of input and a recommendation from the 
IAOC meetings committee (https://iaoc.ietf.org/committees.html)
and extensive help from our administrative and network folks
who do on-site research and negotiation. And hosts, who are
sometimes keen on hosting at specific locations.

Hope this clarifies,

Jari