Subject: IETF registration fees...

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 15:27:11 -0400

I knew that IETF registration fees had gone up from the $500USD of yore.
$700USD isn't so bad... but there is 19% VAT on it, so $833USD.
That's ~$1100 CDN.  Tripping over the $1000 CDN mark is a big psychological
impact.  I guess it would have been worse if the CDN wasn't on the "rebound"

Thanks for the Paypal option.
I did get this from Cloudflare when being returned:
  Error 504 Ray ID:  2016-05-09 19:22:22 UTC
  Gateway time-out2a0784ac02353f89

A reload, and a back, and I was back at paypal, and then went forward again
(RESTful is good...) and it's all good.

When I first saw the 1100, I thought that maybe the paypal link was wrong,
and it was charging me the late fee...

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 May 2016 20:32:11 -0000

>impact.  I guess it would have been worse if the CDN wasn't on the "rebound"

Germany has a reciprocal VAT agreement with Canada.  You may be able
to get the VAT on the registration fee and other business expenses in
Germany such as your hotel bill refunded.

The Goog shows a couple of companies that say they handle tax refunds
for North Americans going to European conferences but they're vague
about what's the minimum amount worth handling.

R's,
John

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 17:26:39 -0400

> Germany such as your hotel bill refunded.

If it's really a reciprocal VAT agreement, then I can just declare it as
an input tax credit (ITC).  I will probably do just that and let the audit
fall where it may.

It's not so much the existence of the tax, as it is the 1000 odometer
experience.

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 17:03:34 -0500

The website suggested that for companies the minimum is $1000.  So, this
means likely that those without a large corporate will not be able to
recover the fee.

Regards,
Mary

-- 
Sent from Gmail Mobile

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 08:26:00 -0400

So you are saying that Michael's 'odometer experience' is what allows him
to save money!