Subject: RE: build personal contacts outside of meetings

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 10:24:12 +0100

Alia,

> I've wondered about whether it would help/add to have pictures of IETFers
> associated with their IETF datatracker account.   We do have a gallery of
> photos for WG chairs, but I have no sense of how much those are used.

I have repeatedly been told that the WG chair photos are really useful for people attending f2f meetings who want to seek out chairs to talk with them. The same would probably apply to any IETFer with whom they wanted to make contact at an f2f meeting.

[snip]

> I would love to figure out how to recreate the types of serendipitous interactions
> and 'hallway' conversations that happen - but in an on-line setting. 

A few years back the IESG caused the creation of [email-masked]. When I was on the IESG I tried to remember to hang out there when my jabber client was open. I think a couple of other ADs tried as well. As I recall, it was very rare for anyone else to be there and over a couple of years I think I fielded just one question.

Adrian

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 12:18:04 +0200

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 24, 2016, at 11:24, Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Alia,
> 

Concurrency is a problem.  Actual hallways and meeting rooms enforce it because you actually have to be there to have serendipitous encounters.  Chat clients demand a certain amount of simultaneity that our other methods (mailing lists in particular) do not.

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 19:44:40 +0800

> I have repeatedly been told that the WG chair photos are really useful for people attending f2f meetings who want to seek out chairs to talk with them. The same would probably apply to any IETFer w…
yes I agree to that, photos are useful

does "assiciated with their IETF datatracker account" mean that when you
go to the status page of a draft the photos of the authors would show
up? would be really neat :).

A wrinkle coould be to display the photos of wg chairs on the charter
and/or the document page.

> A few years back the IESG caused the creation of [email-masked]. When I was on the IESG I tried to remember to hang out there when my jabber client was open. I think a couple of other ADs tried as…

yes - I remember the [email-masked], the idea is good, but I 
guess that there are better applications that could be used today - in
a totally different context I've been using Telegram (not a suggestion,
just an example) and it works well. Though I don't know how big groups
that could be accommodated.

/Loa

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 08:23:49 -0400

Hi Loa,

On May 24, 2016 7:44 AM, "Loa Andersson" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I have repeatedly been told that the WG chair photos are really useful
for people attending f2f meetings who want to seek out chairs to talk with
them. The same would probably apply to any IETFer with whom they wanted to
make contact at an f2f meeting.
> up? would be really neat :).

Yes, that could be one way of integrating.   I think it takes some thought
as to what would be useful & what would feel comfortable to IETFers.

> and/or the document page.

Exactly.  If there's interest,  maybe we can brainstorm a bit.

Regards,
Alia
>> A few years back the IESG caused the creation of [email-masked].
When I was on the IESG I tried to remember to hang out there when my jabber
client was open. I think a couple of other ADs tried as well. As I recall,
it was very rare for anyone else to be there and over a couple of years I
think I fielded just one question.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 08:32:11 -0400

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 24, 2016, at 8:23 AM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Loa,
> 
> Yes, that could be one way of integrating.   I think it takes some thought as to what would be useful & what would feel comfortable to IETFers.
> 

Or just a mouse over to pop up the picture. I like the idea.  If we have the pictures, they should be able to be used in this way as they've already been made public.

Kathleen 
> > yes - I remember the [email-masked], the idea is good, but I guess that there are better applications that could be used today - in

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 09:16:49 -0400

Pictures are a really good idea.   I am terrible with names, as are a lot
of slightly spectral IETFers, and being able to practice the association of
a name to a face would be _really_ helpful.   I actually had a long
conversation about this over dinner with several other IETFers in BA, and
it turned out that we all had the same problem.

The problem with a jabber "hallway" is that it's not quite what you want:
IETF hallway conversations don't broadcast to all of the conference
attendees all of the time.   Simply being available on jabber to IETF
members probably accomplishes what hall conversations normally accomplish,
except for the model of walking up to a clump of IETFers one of whom you
need to talk to, and winding up talking to the rest as well.

I can easily imagine simulating hallway conversations if we all had VR
googles (and it would be very Snow Crash as well) but in practice I don't
think we are really there yet.

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 8:32 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Or just a mouse over to pop up the picture. I like the idea.  If we have
> the pictures, they should be able to be used in this way as they've already
> been made public.
>
> Kathleen
>
> Regards,
> Alia
> >
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> A few years back the IESG caused the creation of
> [email-masked]. When I was on the IESG I tried to remember to
> hang out there when my jabber client was open. I think a couple of other
> ADs tried as well. As I recall, it was very rare for anyone else to be
> there and over a couple of years I think I fielded just one question.
> >>
> >

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 15:34:45 -0400

At the start of each IETF meeting, I jsut use the “hallway” room to make
sure that my jabber client is set up and working properly.

Cheers,
Andy

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have repeatedly been told that the WG chair photos are really useful for
> people attending f2f meetings who want to seek out chairs to talk with

---

From: Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 23:35:34 -0700

Hi Alia,

Perhaps we should bring this up during our traditional IETF lunch?
Personally I feel it would be useful to bring names to faces.

Thanks,
Jeff

From:  ietf <[email-masked]> on behalf of Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date:  Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 5:23 AM
To:  Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Cc:  IETF Discussion Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: build personal contacts outside of meetings

Hi Loa,

Regards,
Alia

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 13:01:25 +0200

Avatar as a service is very much a thing. It would be easy enough to incorporate gravitar or similar derive though note that not everyone will use a photo and many will opt out.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 24, 2016, at 13:44, Loa Andersson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>