Subject: Summary: Value and respect

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 17:52:34 -0700

Hello,

For information about the facilitators experiment, please see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg97290.html  This 
message contains a rough summary of the thread at 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98613.html  I 
did not include the messages from Mr Martinez and Mr Arkko in the 
rough summary.

The message from Mr Carpenter was a comment for the mailing list 
archive.  In that comment the person stated that he values the 
families of all participants equally and he also expects all "IETF 
participants to value and respect each other regardless of everything 
personal about them".  There was a message from Mr Hallam-Baker [1] 
and Mr Bush in which they agreed to the comment.  There was a comment 
from Ms Shore about 'past posts that take the form of "Of course 
discrimination is terrible but ... "' [3].  Mr Newton commented about 
"the right to let us know that his opinion differs from that which 
was stated by the chair" [4].  Mr Eastlake commented about some 
confusion about respect in the IETF [5].  Mr Ohta agreed with Mr 
Eastlake about "the role of the IETF as a technical organization to 
lobby on issues of discrimination policy" [6]. There were also some 
points of disagreement, e.g. "wide variety of contributors" include 
people living with culture against LGBT; disturbed if meeting is not 
held around them merely because some other think the cultural 
variation is beyond the "wide variety".  There was a clarification 
from Ms Shore about the issue with Singapore [7].  Mr Ohta commented 
about "not an internationally agreed basic human right and, as such, 
we must value and respect culture to ban or damn LGBT" and he 
provided a URL to the International Bill of Human Rights.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98631.html
2. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98618.html
3. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98614.html
4. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98632.html
5. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98634.html
6. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98636.html
7. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98637.html
8. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg98639.html