Subject: side event Wed. 20 July at IETF 96: "Open Debate on the Politics of Encryption"

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 15:27:27 -0400

Dear IETFers,

Wikimedia Germany and the Global Public Policy Insitute will be hosting
the following event on Wednesday evening of IETF week.

(Yes, it is scheduled during the IETF plenary on Wednesday evening. We
hope some of you might make it regardless as it's only 15m away from the
IETF venue.)

RSVP required. best, Joe

----

Open Debate on the Politics of Encryption

In modern democracies, societies are built not only on checks and
balances but also on the notion of trust. In the digital age, trust is
strengthened through a variety of technologies that provide for online
privacy and security. Encryption technologies are one key example. They
allow users to securely communicate and do business online, and to
protect data on a computer, a phone or in the cloud. However, those
technologies are also available for less benevolent purposes, providing
criminals with means to protect their communication and data. This has
put encryption at the centre of a debate on the tension between online
security and the notion of national security. Even after years of
struggles - most recently between the FBI and Apple - battle lines
remain murky, and key questions unanswered.

Are law enforcement agencies really "going dark"? Should (and can)
societies make any compromises on the use of encryption technologies?
What are the ethical obligations for the technical and academic
communities? If multistakeholder institutions, such as the IETF, set
standards on encryption that will be adopted broadly, how does
multistakeholder governance impact best practices, the development and
the implementation of such standards? What effect had the Snowden
disclosures on IETF processes? If we accept the broad and easy use of
encryption technologies, should government agencies have other tools at
hand to fight criminals? And finally, where do we stand on this debate
in Germany and what can we do to help define a united European position?

On Wednesday, 20 July 2016 - on the occasion of this year's IETF meeting
being held in Berlin - we will address these and similar questions in an
open debate on the politics of encryption. The discussion will be
launched by a conversation between Joe Hall (Center for Democracy &
Technology, CDT), Linus Neumann (Chaos Computer Club, CCC) and Christine
Runnegar (tbc; Internet Society, ISOC), and moderated by Mirko Hohmann
(Global Public Policy Institute, GPPi).

All guests and participants are invited to join the debate and to openly
discuss the role that civil society and the technical community could
and should play in defining our approach to encryption technologies, and
more widely in Internet policy and governance.

The discussion will be held in English.

When:
Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Programme:

18:30 - Arrival and welcoming snack
19:00 - Panel discussion
19:45 - Open debate with all guests
20:30 - Food, drinks and networking

Where:
Wikimedia Germany
Tempelhofer Ufer 23/24 - 10963 Berlin
Room Mosaik

The meeting is the second in a series of events that aims to bring
together different actors from civil society and academia who are
interested in international internet policy and its impact on the
national level. These networking meetings will take place three times
per year, in Berlin, Germany. They are organised by several civil
society groups and academic institutions, including the Global Internet
Governance Academic Network (GigaNet), Medienstadt Leipzig e.V., the WZB
Berlin Social Science Center, the Global Public Policy Institute (GPPi),
the IGF academy and the German section of the Internet Governance Forum
(IGF-D). All stakeholder groups are welcome to join the meetings. This
series of events is supported by ICANN and Wikimedia Germany.

Please contact us for suggestions regarding potential future topics.

Participation is free but registration is required. RSVP via email to:

Lorena Jaume-Palasi: [email-masked]
Julia Pohle: [email-masked]

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
1401 K ST NW STE 200, Washington DC 20005-3497
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 20:33:37 +0100

Maybe the SAAG co-chairs could be persuaded to put you on the agenda on Thursday to give a ten minute report on what happened so that those of us who will be paying attention to the IETF all week don't need to completely miss out on this.

Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ietf [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joseph Lorenzo Hall
> Sent: 24 June 2016 20:27
> To: IETF discussion list; [email-masked]
> Subject: side event Wed. 20 July at IETF 96: "Open Debate on the Politics of
> Encryption"
> 
> Dear IETFers,
>

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 20:36:51 +0100

Sadly, (or maybe gladly), the saag agenda is full, as we stated on
the saag list earlier. But a quick open-mic report would be appreciated.
An email to the saag list would be even better.

S.

On 24/06/16 20:33, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> saag mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 19:45:40 +0000 (UTC)

Joe,
I would like to RSVP for this. Thanks,
Nalini ElkinsInside Products, Inc.www.insidethestack.com(831) 659-8360

      From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
 To: IETF discussion list <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] 
 Sent: Friday, June 24, 2016 12:27 PM
 Subject: side event Wed. 20 July at IETF 96: "Open Debate on the Politics of Encryption"
   
Dear IETFers,

RSVP required. best, Joe

----

When:
Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Programme:

Where:
Wikimedia Germany

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 07:07:17 +0200

Joe,

Thanks for forwarding.  I have a question: is this a broad debate or a
conversation amongst those who largely agree?  As was discussed
elsewhere it would be useful to have a variety of points of view on this
subject, particularly some from the law enforcement community.  The
organizers attempted this at WEIS this past month but events in Florida
tragically intervened.

Eliot

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 06:15:30 -0400

I'm not sure how much of a debate it will be, likely not much of one. And
I'm not sure Christine as a former prosecutor (but now with ISOC) fits the
LE mold.

Frankly, I know the GPPI folks here and had offered to do something with
them next time I would be in Germany. This is that thing. Feel free to
reach out to them if you'd like to suggest someone.

On Monday, June 27, 2016, Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Lorena Jaume-Palasi: [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> > Julia Pohle: [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> >
>
>
>