Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-oob-setup-04.txt> (An Out-Of-Band Setup Protocol For RPKI Production Services) to Proposed Standard

From: tom p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 10:55:15 +0000

When I saw BPKI in the Abstract, I thought 'typo'!  Reading on, it
isn't; in which case, it needs expanding in the Abstract.

Appendix A is in RelaxNG; I would like a reference for that language.

Is Appendix A Normative?  i.e. in the event of a mismatch between the
body of the I-D and Appendix A, which wins?  If Appendix A, then that
reference should be Normative.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Chris Morrow" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:06 PM

>
> The IESG has received a request from the Secure Inter-Domain Routing
WG
> (sidr) to consider the following document:
> - 'An Out-Of-Band Setup Protocol For RPKI Production Services'
>   <draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-oob-setup-04.txt> as Proposed Standard
>
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-01-10. Exceptionally, comments may
be
> sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> Abstract
>
>    This note describes a simple out-of-band protocol to ease setup of
>    the RPKI provisioning and publication protocols between two
parties.
>    The protocol is encoded in a small number of XML messages, which
can
>    be passed back and forth by any mutually agreeable secure means.
>
>    This setup protocol is not part of the provisioning or publication
>    protocol, rather, it is intended to simplify configuration of these
>    protocols by setting up relationships and exchanging BPKI keying
>    material.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-oob-setup/
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
>
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-oob-setup/ballot/
>
>
> No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.
>

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 18:15:47 -0500

> reference should be Normative.

Thanks for the review!  I agree with all of the above, will post
revisions post-LC unless there is reason to update sooner.

Yes, I think the RelaxNG schema had best be normative.  We already
found and fixed one minor disagreement between text and schema;
unsurprisingly, running code in that case agreed with the schema.