Subject: Barriers to entry

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 03:22:45 -0800

Hello,

There is a blog article at 
https://www.ietf.org/blog/2017/01/barriers-to-entry/ about "barriers 
to entry".  Dave Burstein [1] suggested that the IETF considers 
refunding the IETF attendance fee for an attendee who is blocked from 
attending the next IETF meeting due to the barriers to entry.

Does the IAOC agree to refunding the attendance fee for such cases?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg100934.html

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 13:57:19 +0200

Hi, SM

I’m not sure if this is even up to the IAOC. However, the registration confirmation includes the following:

2. Refunds are subject to a 10% (ten percent) cancellation fee.

3. Cancellations and requests for refunds must be received by 2359 UTC Monday, March 20, 2017. Refund requests will not be honored beyond this point.

So it appears that refunds are available anyway, and what you are requesting is for someone (the IAOC?) to waive the 10% cancellation fee. Correct?

Yoav

> On 1 Feb 2017, at 13:22, S Moonesamy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> There is a blog article at https://www.ietf.org/blog/2017/01/barriers-to-entry/ about "barriers to entry".  Dave Burstein [1] suggested that the IETF considers refunding the IETF attendance fee for an attendee who is blocked from attending the next IETF meeting due to the barriers to entry.
>

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 04:08:09 -0800

Hi Yoav,
At 03:57 AM 2/1/2017, Yoav Nir wrote:
>I'm not sure if this is even up to the IAOC. However, the 
>registration confirmation includes the following:
>
>3. Cancellations and requests for refunds must be received by 2359 
>UTC Monday, March 20, 2017. Refund requests will not be honored 
>beyond this point.
>
>
>So it appears that refunds are available anyway, and what you are 
>requesting is for someone (the IAOC?) to waive the 10% cancellation 
>fee. Correct?

Thanks for catching my mistake.  Decisions about meetings were 
generally left to the IAOC.

I am suggesting that the IAOC waive the cancellation fee.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy