Subject: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-homenet-dot-12

From: Dale Worley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 04:20:09 -0700

Reviewer: Dale Worley
Review result: Ready

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft.  The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at
<https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document:  draft-ietf-homenet-dot-12
Reviewer:  Dale R. Worley
Review Date:  2017-08-24
IETF LC End Date:  2017-08-25
IESG Telechat date:  2017-08-31

Summary:

This draft is ready for publication as a Standards Track RFC.  It has
some nits that should be considered before publication.

4.  Domain Name Reservation Considerations

   3.  Name resolution APIs MUST send queries for such
       names to a recursive DNS server that is configured to be
       authoritative for the 'home.arpa.' zone appropriate to the
       homenet.

If I understand the terminology correctly, this rules out sending the
query to a DNS server that recursively sends the query to a server
that is authoritative for home.arpa.  If that is intended and there
are technical reasons for making this prescription, that's OK, but I
want to check that that is intended, as this rule is stricter than the
similar rule in the second paragraph of item 4, which is qualified
"Unless configured otherwise".

4.  Domain Name Reservation Considerations

There are 5 paragraphs under item 4.  It might be worth giving them
separate numbers, or if they truly form a unified topic, giving them
sub-numbers 4a, 4b, etc.

6.  Security Considerations

   Therefore, the only delegation that will allow
   names under 'home.arpa.' to be resolved is an insecure delegation, as
   in [RFC6303] section 7.

In context what this means is clear, but its literal meaning is
sufficiently incorrect that I think it could be clarified, perhaps to

   Therefore, the only delegation that will allow names under
   'home.arpa.' to be resolved by a validating resolver that is not
   aware of the local meaning is an insecure delegation, as in
   [RFC6303] section 7.

[EOF]