Subject: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-07

From: Zitao Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 23:13:55 -0700

Reviewer: Zitao Wang
Review result: Has Nits

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate’s ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of
the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should
treat these comments just like any other last call comments.

Document reviewed:  draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-07

Summary:

This document defines Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME)
version 4.0.  S/MIME provides a consistent way to send and receive secure MIME
data.  Digital signatures provide authentication, message integrity, and
non-repudiation with proof of origin. Encryption provides data confidentiality.
 Compression can be used to reduce data size.  This document obsoletes RFC 5751.

Firstly, this document list a set of encryption algorithm, but a lot of them
miss references, it difficult to understanding, especially for the reader who
may lack of the encryption knowledges. For example:

 Section 1.5:

 s/key wrapping algorithm/key wrapping algorithm[rfc3394]

 s/Diffie-Hellman (DH) algorithm/Diffie-Hellman (DH) algorithm [rfc2631]

 s/RSA public key algorithm/RSA public key algorithm [RFC3447]
 Section 2.2:

 s/RSA PKCS#1 v1.5/RSA PKCS#1 v1.5 [RFC2313]

And there are some terminologies or abbreviations which are used without
explaining, especially for some first appear. For example:

  Section 2.2.

  s/ECDSA/Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA)

  s/EdDSA/Edwards-curve Digital Signature Algorithm (EdDSA)

Other nits:

  Obsolete normative reference: RFC 2138 (Obsoleted by RFC 2865)

  Obsolete normative reference: RFC 4288 (Obsoleted by RFC 6838)