Subject: Re: why exactly is HRPC for, was Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 21:29:46 +0300

On 24/09/2018 13:58, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hi John,
> At 04:34 PM 20-09-2018, John Levine wrote:
>> There are real human rights problems that HRPC could engage with, but
>> don't.  They need to make up their mind whether they're serious.
> 
> The charter of the research group states that one of the major aims of
> its research is to expose the relation between protocols and human
> rights with a focus on Article 19 and Article 20 of the UDHR.  There are
> opportunities for continued development in the research group's
> understanding of (IETF) protocols.  Some of the research seems to be
> optimized towards picking what is readily available instead of a
> systematic exploration of the issues.

Not only are there opportunities, as S says, but a wide open door to
explore human rights and protocol issues.

The RG's first and only (so far) RFC 8280 is a very wide exploration of
the topic. Working drafts are diving deeper into specific issues. It's
not that authors in the RG picking low hanging fruit, or "what is
readily available." The research so far has been identified at the
intersection of 1) the expertise and interests of the authors and 2)
support and interest from the RG on pursuing the research.

Adding the HRPC list in case there are further ideas about approach in
identifying research and/or real human rights problems that can be
addressed through the group's research.

-Mallory
-- 
Mallory Knodel
Head of Digital :: article19.org
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9  B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780