Subject: Blog post: On the rise of (DNS) protocol complexity

From: bert hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 15:31:33 +0100

Hi everyone,

I wrote a post on the inexorable rise of DNS complexity, it just appeared on
https://ietf.org/blog/herding-dns-camel/

In this post I argue that the mechanics of standardization means that as
long as there are standardizers active, there is a push to create more and
more documents.

In a commercial environment, implementations typically push back on new
standards, since new standards mean more work and fewer possibilities to
differentiate. 

Such push-back is absent in open source communities with ample time and
ability to implement everything under the sun, and that is how we end up
with 2000-3000 pages of DNS text. 

The post discusses what to do about it & presents a mitigation measure
called 'Hello DNS' which attempts to do a 'Richard W. Stevens' on DNS by
explaining the standards for implementors, hopefully using the same clear
language that brought us TCP/IP Illustrated & the other great Stevens books.

More words are on https://ietf.org/blog/herding-dns-camel/ - please let me
know your thoughts if you have them!

	Bert

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 09:01:04 -0500

best wishes.  too much money and ego behind the dns standards producing
industry.

randy