Subject: [ifmib] Future of IFMIB WG ??

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:44:54 -0500

This WG has been essentially dormant since the publication of RFC
2863-2864 (June 2000).

RFC 2863 (Interfaces MIB) is at Draft Standard, while 2864 (Inverted
Stack Table Extension) is at proposed.  Both documents are now
eligible for advancement. Is there interest in advancing them? Seems
like it would be good in particular to get Inverted Stack Table
Extension to Draft.

Do folks think that the documents are ready for advancement? Is there
interest in advancing them?

Ted Brunner (current ifmib chair) has moved on to other things and has
indicated that it might be good to find a new chair if this WG is to
continue. Is there interest in keeping this WG going, or should it be
closed until such time as there is energy/interest in reviving it?

If it is to keep going, what would its work items be? What other  work
might be appropriate beyond advancing 2863 and 2864?

Thomas

_______________________________________________
ifmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ifmib

---

From: "Hanson, Gary" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:37:15 -0800 (PST)

Thomas,

It couldn't hurt to advance them, could it?  (I'm sure some people would
love to still be alive to see them advance some day.  :-)

One work item might be to help the IANA clarify and make sense of all of
the nearly 200 IANAifTypes that have been defined in the IANAifType-MIB,
researching and then providing some kind of suitable cross-references to
whatever documents define the SNMP requirements in other MIBs for these
interface types.  If this WG were not to take on that challenge I am not
sure who would.  As it stands, the only thing that is "standardized" for
these IANAifTypes are the IANAifType values themselves, and it seems to
be a veritable free-for-all to make sense of what is expected (let alone
required) if an ifTable entry were to be identified by any given ifType
defined in the IANAifType-MIB, and in some cases to decide which of the
various seemingly redundant values to use for a given kind of interface.

Gary