Subject: [EAI] draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-01.txt comment

From: Kari Hurtta <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Oct 2006 08:06:50 +0300

header-content  = "UTF8SMTP:" [FWS] content-code [FWS]
                     *( ";" parameter ) CRLF
   content-code    = "UTF8" / "ASCII" / "Downgraded"
   parameter       = "Header-Language:" [FWS] Language-List
   Language-List   = Language-Tag [FWS]
                     *("," [FWS] Language-Tag [FWS])

Should 'parameter' use mime-style syntax instead ?

Several different header parameter syntaxes is not good.
(In other hand language-list then requires quoted string
 if it includes sevaral values. But I still think that
 implementation is easier if existing parser can be used. )

/ Kari Hurtta

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 03:11:02 -0700

>  implementation is easier if existing parser can be used. )
I still regard the whole idea of putting parameters into the UTF8SMTP 
"marker" header as controversial, but I may be the only one.

If it causes extra complexity in implementations, I am afraid that it 
will just end up as yet another piece of unimplemented cruft.

Thoughts?

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:28:16 +0100

>> Should 'parameter' use mime-style syntax instead ?

Yes, I already made that point in my commentary on that draft.

> will just end up as yet another piece of unimplemented cruft.

I think it is useful to allow some room for additional material that may  
be needed (naturally, we don't know what yet, but we can surely expect  
that there will be unanticipated situations once this stuff goes live).  
The nice thing about having space for <parameter>s is that existing  
implementations are guaranteed not to break when they suddenly start to  
appear. That was one of the better ideas introduced by the MIME people,  
and we have since reaped the benefit of it (format=flowed is the  
best-known example).

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5