Subject: [EAI] "downgrade must able to fail" -- or comment about draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-01.txt

From: Kari Hurtta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:14:32 +0300 (EEST)

Perhaps there is needed warning that downgrading
EAI message must be able to fail.

In other words MTA must be prepared to bounce
message if downgrade is not possible.

That means that downgrade must be done before 
MTA issues DATA -command.

Sendmail does that mistake when it is downgrading
8BITMIME messages. It does downgrading on fly
and therefore is not able to bounce message if
downgrade is not possible.

/ Kari Hurtta

( documentation:

      $=s  contains the set of subtypes of message that  can
           be  treated  recursively.  By default it contains
           only "rfc822".  Other "message/*" types cannot be
           8->7  bit encoded.  If a message containing eight
           bit data is sent to a seven bit  host,  and  that
           message  cannot  be  encoded  into seven bits, it
           will be stripped to 7 bits.

)

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima