Subject: [EAI] ISSUE: framework 10 - "UTF-8 canonicalization"

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:36:45 +0200

Hi,

  Section 10 has "... and, potentially, some issues with UTF-8
canonicalization, discussed in [RFC3629]." RFC 3629 does not use
the term "canonicalization" and I am not sure what that would be.
I could imagine this refers to Unicode Normalization, or handling
of malformed UTF-8 sequences, or something else, and technically
the term does not really make sense to me.

regards,
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
68309 Mannheim · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/ 

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:44:00 -0400

--On Wednesday, 18 October, 2006 19:36 +0200 Bjoern Hoehrmann
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> canonicalization, discussed in [RFC3629]." RFC 3629 does not
> use the term "canonicalization" and I am not sure what that
> would be. I could imagine this refers to Unicode
> Normalization, or handling of malformed UTF-8 sequences, or
> something else, and technically the term does not really make
> sense to me.

It should have been "normalization and other transformations" or
words to that effect, but I've rewritten those sentences to make
them more clear and more precise.

thanks.
   john