Subject: [EAI] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SMTP extension for internationalized email address
	Author(s)	: J. Yao, W. Mao
	Filename	: draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-02.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2006-10-25
	
Internationalized email address includes two parts, the local part
   and the domain part.  The ways email addresses are used by protocols
   are different from the ways domain names are used.  The most critical
   difference is that emails are delivered through a chain of peering
   clients and servers while domain names are resolved by name servers
   by looking up their own tables.  In addition to this, email transport
   protocols SMTP and ESMTP provide a negotiation mechanism through
   which clients can make decisions for further processing.  So
   internationalized email address is different from the
   internationalized domain name (IDN).  It can be solved by exploiting
   the negotiation mechanism while IDN can not use the negotiation
   mechanism.  So internationalized email address SHOULD be solved in
   the mail transport-level using the negotiation mechanism, which is an
   architecturally desirable approach.  This document specifies the use
   of SMTP extension for internationalized email address delivery.  It
   also mentions the backward compatible mechanism for downgrade
   procedure, as specified in an associated specification.  The protocol
   proposed here is MTA-level solution which is feasible,
   architecturally more elegant, and not as difficult to deploy in
   relevant communities.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima