Subject: [EAI] comments on draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-02

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:35:35 +0900

These are some comments on draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-02 based
on questions from my student with whom I'm currently working
on an implementation. If these have already been made, please
ignore.

1) The draft doesn't say what syntax it is using to describe
   the syntax. I guess this is ABNF, but this should be made
   explicit, with a reference (RFC 4234).
2) In section 2.4, literal characters and nonterminals are
   not clearly separated. As an example, I'd expect the
   first rule to read something like

   "MAIL FROM:" SP reverse-path [ SP Mail-parameters ] CRLF

If some other formalism is used, this should be clearly
documented, but I hope everybody agrees that ABNF is the
way to go.

Btw, one of my guesses is that the addition of "<" and ">"
in some of the rules is due to the fact that RFC 4234 uses
these quite a bit in the text (although only in very
special cases, such as for variables denoting integers,
in the examples).

Regards,     Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp      mailto:[email-masked]    

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima