Subject: Concordet voting (Re: [EAI] Please - Don't state preferences yet!)

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:23:42 -0500

In the WG meeting today, the consensus of the room (decided, literally, by 
a coin toss) was to use Concordet voting for our decision-making process on 
the MIME type issue. Unless the mailing list erupts in protest against 
this, I take that as our next step. Since this string is blocking our next 
round of draft, we'd also better get it done as soon as possible.

Charles, you mentioned having software available - can you offer to run the 
counting for this particular vote?

If yes, is there a particular format for the ballot that would make this 
task easier for you?

(as per the wikipedia article, you'd better specify which tie-breaking 
mechanism the software uses before we start, just so that all the 
information is available ahead of time...)

WRT more alternatives: Up to the time the ballot is issued, I'll add more 
to the ballot if 3 people say "this should be added", but please don't use 
this list to gather those 3 people; we've got a lot of alternatives (and 
much mail about them) already....

            Harald

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:33:57 -0500

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 02:23:42PM -0500,
 Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> In the WG meeting today, the consensus of the room (decided,
> literally, by a coin toss) was to use Concordet voting

Condorcet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:58:34 -0500

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 02:23:42PM -0500,
 Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> Charles, you mentioned having software available - can you offer to
> run the counting for this particular vote?

Another alternative is to use an online service:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html