Subject: [EAI] And the winner is...... MESSAGE/GLOBAL

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:49:33 +0200

more serioiusly:

After considering the available alternatives, and after weighing the 
various arguments given in favour of one group of alternatives or the 
other, the WG consensus seems to be that it's not unreasonable to go 
with the name "MESSAGE/GLOBAL" for the MIME type that represents 
messages structured according to draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers.

Details below, written from the very useful program that Charles Lindsey 
supplied.
The slicing and dicing of this list should give a lot of indication of 
which arguments found favour, which were
universally accepted, which were strongly polarizing, and which were 
studiously ignored. But I believe that we

Interesting points:

- There were 8 (out of 11) alternatives where someone had that 
alternative in the first spot.
- Message/i18n was the only one to not have any instance in the 2 first 
spots
- The same type was also the only one that nobody had in the last 2 spots

The last opinion to be stated arrived in my mailbox just 4 minutes after 
the deadline; I chose to include it, and it did not affect the outcome.

If I missed anyone's opinion, or anyone spots a transcription error, 
please call it out!

NOTE: I'll be largely-off-net from approx. 1 hour after sending this 
message unti Wednesday evening, August 29. So don't expect rapid 
responses to such notices - sorry about that!

message/utf8smtp-------------------------------------------------------------+
message/utf8eai-----------------------------------------------------------+  
|
message/utf8-email-----------------------------------------------------+  
|  |
message/mail--------------------------------------------------------+  
|  |  |
message/intl-email-----------------------------------------------+  |  
|  |  |
message/international-----------------------------------------+  |  |  
|  |  |
message/ima------------------------------------------------+  |  |  |  
|  |  |
message/i18n-email--------------------------------------+  |  |  |  |  
|  |  |
message/i18n-----------------------------------------+  |  |  |  |  |  
|  |  |
message/global------------------------------------+  |  |  |  |  |  |  
|  |  |
message/eai------------------------------------+  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  
|  |  |
                                               |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  
|  |  |
Abel Yang                                      2  8  6  7  3  9 10 11  
5  4  1
Alexey Melnikov                                1  3  5  7  2  4  6  9 
10  8 11
Andrew Sullivan                               10  2  5  4 11  3  6  1  
8  9  7
Bill McQuillan                                 7  5  3  4  8  1  2  6  9 
11 10
Charles Lindsey                               10  6  7  2 11  8  1  5  
3  9  4
Chris Newman                                   8  2  7  5  9  1  3  4  6 
10 11
Harald Alvestrand                             10  2  3  6 11  1  5  4  
9  8  7
John Klensin                                   5  3  7  8  6  4  2  1 10 
11  9
Joseph Yee                                     7  6  5  3 10 11  2  4  
1  8  9
Kazunori Fujiwara                              2 10  8  5  4  9  7 11  
6  3  1
Mao Wei                                       11  1  6  5 10  2  3  4  
7  8  9
Martin Duerst                                  3  4  6  7  2  5  8  1 
10  9 11
Pete Resnick                                   2  5  9 10  1  3  6 11  
7  4  8
Soobok Lee                                     2  8  6  7  3  9 10 11  
5  4  1
Ted Hardie                                     1  4  5  6  2  7  8  3  9 
11 10
Tony Hansen                                    7  2  5  4  6  1  3 10  
8  9 11
Trond Skjesol                                  9  8  4  3 10 11  2  1  
6  7  5
Yangwoo Ko                                    10  2  4  5 11  3  6  1  
7  9  8
Yao Jiankang                                  10  2  8  5  9  1  3  4  
6  7 11
Yoshiro Yoneya                                10  6  5  2 11  4  1  3  
7  8  9
Zoltan Ordogh                                 10  7  8  4  9  1  2  6  3 
11  5

RESULT:

message/global is preferred to message/eai           by 14 : 7
message/global is preferred to message/i18n         by 14 : 7
message/global is preferred to message/i18n-email    by 12 : 9
message/global is preferred to message/ima           by 14 : 7
message/global is preferred to message/international by 12 : 9
message/global is preferred to message/intl-email    by 13 : 8
message/global is preferred to message/mail         by 11 : 10
message/global is preferred to message/utf8-email    by 14 : 7
message/global is preferred to message/utf8eai       by 16 : 5
message/global is preferred to message/utf8smtp      by 15 : 6

message/global is therefore a condorcet winner

The following matrix shows the votes in more detail.
The number at [row,column] indicates the number of voters who placed the
[row] option ahead of the [column] option in their order of preference

message/utf8smtp---------------------------------------------------------+
| message/utf8eai----------------------------------------------------+   |
| | message/utf8-email-------------------------------------------+   |   |
| | | message/mail-------------------------------------------+   |   |   |
| | | | message/intl-email-------------------------------+   |   |   |   |
| | | | | message/international----------------------+   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | message/ima--------------------------+   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | message/i18n-email-------------+   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | | message/i18n-------------+   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | | | message/global-----+   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | | | | message/eai--+   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | | | | +---------  \\   7   8   8  15   9   7   7  10  13  10
| | | | | | | | | +-----------  14  \\  14  12  14  12  13  11  14  16  15
| | | | | | | | +-------------  13   7  \\  10  13   7   8   8  12  16  15
| | | | | | | +---------------  13   9  11  \\  13   8   7  11  16  17  17
| | | | | | +-----------------   6   7   8   8  \\   9   7   7  10  11   9
| | | | | +-------------------  12   9  14  13  12  \\  15  12  15  16  15
| | | | +---------------------  14   8  13  14  14   6  \\  14  17  17  18
| | | +-----------------------  14  10  13  10  14   9   7  \\  13  15  15
| | +-------------------------  11   7   9   5  11   6   4   8  \\  14  14
| +---------------------------   8   5   5   4  10   5   4   6   7  \\   9
+-----------------------------  11   6   6   4  12   6   3   6   7  12  \\

The second matrix shows the effect of subtracting [column,row] from
[row.column] so as to give the majority in favour of [row] as against 
[column].
Observe that the winning row(s) has no negative entries.

message/utf8smtp---------------------------------------------------------+
| message/utf8eai----------------------------------------------------+   |
| | message/utf8-email-------------------------------------------+   |   |
| | | message/mail-------------------------------------------+   |   |   |
| | | | message/intl-email-------------------------------+   |   |   |   |
| | | | | message/international----------------------+   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | message/ima--------------------------+   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | message/i18n-email-------------+   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | | message/i18n-------------+   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | | | message/global-----+   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | | | | message/eai--+   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| | | | | | | | | | +---------  \\  -7  -5  -5   9  -3  -7  -7  -1   5  -1
| | | | | | | | | +-----------   7  \\   7   3   7   3   5   1   7  11   
9 winner
| | | | | | | | +-------------   5  -7  \\  -1   5  -7  -5  -5   3  11   9
| | | | | | | +---------------   5  -3   1  \\   5  -5  -7   1  11  13  13
| | | | | | +-----------------  -9  -7  -5  -5  \\  -3  -7  -7  -1   1  -3
| | | | | +-------------------   3  -3   7   5   3  \\   9   3   9  11   9
| | | | +---------------------   7  -5   5   7   7  -9  \\   7  13  13  15
| | | +-----------------------   7  -1   5  -1   7  -3  -7  \\   5   9   9
| | +-------------------------   1  -7  -3 -11   1  -9 -13  -5  \\   7   7
| +---------------------------  -5 -11 -11 -13  -1 -11 -13  -9  -7  \\  -3
+-----------------------------   1  -9  -9 -13   3  -9 -15  -9  -7   3  \\

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:28:57 +0100

> messages structured according to draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers.

OK, so now we have a nice new word "Global". Maybe it could now be used  
elsewhere.

For example, we could choose to name the whole package we are discussing,  
so that the new type of email will become known as "global email". Use  
"GLOBAL" as the name of the extension in EHLO. And so on. It is certainly  
the sort of word that the community would pick up and run with.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:41:37 +0200

Charles Lindsey wrote:
> OK, so now we have a nice new word "Global". Maybe it could now be 
> used elsewhere.
>
> For example, we could choose to name the whole package we are 
> discussing, so that the new type of email will become known as "global 
> email". Use "GLOBAL" as the name of the extension in EHLO. And so on. 
> It is certainly the sort of word that the community would pick up and 
> run with. 
I don't think we want to go there.
1) It's a previously resolved issue.
2) The UTF8SMTP extension is very much bound to use in SMTP
3) Try googling for "global".

                 Harald