Subject: [EAI] UTF=x IMAP capabilities

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 21:13:51 +0800

At today's EAI meeting, I took an action item to start a short
discussion about the various UTF8=x capabilities in the IMAP doc (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eai-5738bis ).  We've agreed to
remove UTF8=USER and UTF8=APPEND, so I wanted to analyze the remaining
ones, and look at the implications.

UTF8=ACCEPT says that the server accepts UTF8 strings and allows
selection of mailboxes in UTF8 mode.  It's the basic "I support the
EAI UTF8 stuff" capability.  Good.

I presume the intent is that when a client that supports EAI talks to
a server that supports EAI, it will just use the UTF8 commands
throughout, yes?

Given that, I see little value in UTF8=ALL.  This says "all mailboxes
can be UTF8 SELECTed." What value is there to a client in knowing
that?  I suppose it can eliminate the need to use the UTF8 options in
the extended LIST command...  and there's no benefit at all if
extended LIST isn't supported.  I suggest that we also eliminate
UTF8=ALL.

That leaves UTF8=ONLY, which is reasonable to leave.  And so we have
three cases:

1.  No EAI support (no UTF8=x capabilities listed).

2.  EAI support, but also support of non-UTF8 versions (UTF8=ACCEPT).

3.  EAI support, and it's all there is (UTF8=ONLY).

So I suggest that we just spell it out that way, and make UTF8=ACCEPT
and UTF8=ONLY be mutually exclusive: there can be one, the other, or
neither, but never both.

Barry

---

From: Joseph Yee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 00:38:28 -0500

> and UTF8=ONLY be mutually exclusive: there can be one, the other, or

No hat.

I agreed with Barry that UTF8=ALL is not necessary anymore after removing UTF8=APPEND.

Joseph

> 
> Barry
> _______________________________________________
> IMA mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 05:23:03 +0000

> extended LIST isn't supported.  I suggest that we also eliminate
Works for me.

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:11:57 -0500

>> and UTF8=ONLY be mutually exclusive: there can be one, the other, or

+1