Subject: [imap5] Feature Creep - how far?

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:59:10 +0100

I'm just about to disappear up to Tromsø with my family to
try to see some Northern lights.  I have finished updating
the RFCs list that I have so far, but that's really only
looking at IMAP4/POP3/SIEVE and a little bit of SMTP.

I didn't reply earlier, but the discussion seems to be moving
towards a "complete messaging solution" - possibly even
integrating machine-readable delivery feedback.

That's a much wider scope than just "client to server protocol
replacement".

So the real question is: is there any point doing the client
to server part in isolation?  Is it a big enough improvement
to be worth it?  Do we need to spec a complete "messaging and
related stuff" protocol?  Does it handle instant messaging
a-la XMPP as well?  What about SIP?  What about video?  It's
easy to get carried away here and try to fix the whole world.

Anyway, I'm not taking my laptop with me, so I'll come back
to the discussion next week.  Hopefully refreshed!

Bron.